2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Alabama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 09:03:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Alabama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 34
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Alabama  (Read 50354 times)
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: June 10, 2023, 03:49:30 PM »
« edited: June 10, 2023, 03:56:04 PM by Mr.Phips »

I would guess not in midterms due to massive AA turnout dropoff.

Whose fault is it if they choose not to turn out?  The idea that you need to bend over backwards to create an AA percentage as high as possible due to them having lower turnout has always maddened me.  Turnout is a choice that voters themselves control.  A 51% AA district should be enough.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #476 on: June 10, 2023, 04:01:40 PM »

I don't agree with such a stringent test.
But under such a test:
https://davesredistricting.org/join/0afa8729-2f7c-4ae3-ac57-56bfcbddf956
This has two double-digit Biden win seats.
Epaminondas

« Reply #477 on: June 10, 2023, 04:20:10 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2023, 04:24:07 PM by Epaminondas »

Whose fault is it if they choose not to turn out?

Yes, it can be partly blamed on political disengagement, but that's fickle. Another factor, which can be controlled, is the actions of the electoral office of Alabama: dearth of voting centers in the Black Belt, campaigns of intimidation, high stress on the predetermined electoral outcomes.

There's a reason the VRA was passed in the first place - political suppression of Blacks in the Bible belt -, and a reason it's still feared by GOP legislatures to this day.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #478 on: June 10, 2023, 04:41:37 PM »

If you don't like that particular cut of Mobile, you can do this, which IMO is worse but does avoid bay-hopping.

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #479 on: June 10, 2023, 05:46:16 PM »

Like I said above, the simple solution if you you care about this instance of water connectivity - cause lets be honest, Mobile is geographically isolated in its corner comparable to VA's eastern shore - you use I-10.

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #480 on: June 13, 2023, 08:35:43 AM »

This seems pretty good, if county splits are a thing the court cares about -

https://davesredistricting.org/join/40ec8a56-d78e-488f-a896-6fcdb1395002

Districts 4 and 5 still untouched

Each district afforded only 1 county split each

Both districts 2 and 7 are over 50% black in total population and VAP, and easily performing

Still keeps 3 and 6 mostly intact except some shifting south and eastwards

Barry Moore actually wouldn't be totally doomed in this, since he can easily primary Jerry Carl in AL-1, which has a lot of Moore's old territory.

The only thing I don't like is not having any road connection between Mobile County and the rest of AL-1, but sacrifices have to be made I guess.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #481 on: June 15, 2023, 08:04:20 PM »

100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #482 on: June 15, 2023, 11:31:44 PM »

One thing that I'm watching for is the split in Jefferson County.  I'm imagining that the state GOP will want to keep places like Mountain Brook and Vestavia Hills in Republican districts because a lot of GOP donors live there.  It's similar to how, when TN-9 had to expand due to population loss in Downtown Memphis, the TNGOP attached more downscale exurbs onto it to leave the wealthy suburban areas in a red district.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #483 on: June 16, 2023, 08:44:43 AM »

One thing that I'm watching for is the split in Jefferson County.  I'm imagining that the state GOP will want to keep places like Mountain Brook and Vestavia Hills in Republican districts because a lot of GOP donors live there.  It's similar to how, when TN-9 had to expand due to population loss in Downtown Memphis, the TNGOP attached more downscale exurbs onto it to leave the wealthy suburban areas in a red district.

This is known, which is why the diagonal maps going through Tuscaloosa to 2-4 Belt counties seem so common and accepted. What's less clear - though I expect - is a cut of Montgomery county and city for the same reasons.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #484 on: June 16, 2023, 09:04:58 AM »

I don't agree with such a stringent test.
But under such a test:
https://davesredistricting.org/join/0afa8729-2f7c-4ae3-ac57-56bfcbddf956
This has two double-digit Biden win seats.

That is a very creative map. Smiley
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #485 on: June 16, 2023, 11:40:31 AM »

This is known, which is why the diagonal maps going through Tuscaloosa to 2-4 Belt counties seem so common and accepted. What's less clear - though I expect - is a cut of Montgomery county and city for the same reasons.

Yeah, I’ve read they want the University of Alabama and the state capitol in Republican districts.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #486 on: June 16, 2023, 11:44:57 AM »

Yeah, I’ve read they want the University of Alabama and the state capitol in Republican districts.

If that's the case, why is Bama's campus in Sewell's district now?
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #487 on: June 16, 2023, 02:55:20 PM »

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Alabama will have to move quickly to comply with a court order to draw new congressional districts for the 2024 elections, and judges indicated Friday that they will give legislators until July 21 to adopt a new map.

https://wbhm.org/2023/alabama-must-move-quickly-to-draw-new-congressional-districts/amp/
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #488 on: June 16, 2023, 08:01:26 PM »

Will Republicans still try and be sneaky and try to include either super low turnout black communities/prisons with super red and high turnout white suburbs so one of the black seats is in practice a swing seat, or do they just do a straightforward 5-2 map to avoid further risk of legal action?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #489 on: June 16, 2023, 09:26:16 PM »

Will Republicans still try and be sneaky and try to include either super low turnout black communities/prisons with super red and high turnout white suburbs so one of the black seats is in practice a swing seat, or do they just do a straightforward 5-2 map to avoid further risk of legal action?

I will refer you to this post:

It’s possible to make a Black-majority LA-05 as close as Biden+4. Cassidy won this seat and someone like Letlow can pull a Gerald Greene and hold it as long as she wants.

Maps like this are put up a lot by DRA users on twitter and atlas on how to "cheat" the VRA ruling, but pretty much never pass through the court and become reality.

The whole point of a VRA section 2 district is that the voters of the minority race can reliably elect the candidate of their choice, especially if the opposition bloc votes against the minority race, which is definitely the case in Louisiana and Alabama.

The lawyers know this, the courts know this, the politicians know this, it just won't happen.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #490 on: June 16, 2023, 09:39:58 PM »

Special remapping session will begin in exactly 1 month. Given that leaves only a few days before July 21, we will probably have an agreed map beforehand and the vote will be perfunctory.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #491 on: June 17, 2023, 09:11:13 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2023, 09:17:03 AM by AustralianSwingVoter »

I will refer you to this post:

It’s possible to make a Black-majority LA-05 as close as Biden+4. Cassidy won this seat and someone like Letlow can pull a Gerald Greene and hold it as long as she wants.

Maps like this are put up a lot by DRA users on twitter and atlas on how to "cheat" the VRA ruling, but pretty much never pass through the court and become reality.

The whole point of a VRA section 2 district is that the voters of the minority race can reliably elect the candidate of their choice, especially if the opposition bloc votes against the minority race, which is definitely the case in Louisiana and Alabama.

The lawyers know this, the courts know this, the politicians know this, it just won't happen.

Thomas v. Bryant is the most relevant precedent, which struck down Mississippi State Senate district 22. It was 51% BVAP but consistently elected a Republican, namely Appropriations committee chairman Buck Clarke. It achieved this by combining high turnout white Jackson exurbs with the low turnout Delta. In spite of what gop twitter might think, context matters more than gerrymandered BVAP and it was struck down by the district courts and by the 5th circuit. (rather than stay and fight, Buck Clarke would run for Treasurer, and lose the primary 38-62 lol.)

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #492 on: June 17, 2023, 09:21:47 AM »

I’ve said this before, if it feels like cheating, it’s probably cheating. Republicans *could* make a majority or plurality black seat in rural North Carolina or South Georgia that voted Republican, but they don’t cause they know it’ll be strict down.
Epaminondas

« Reply #493 on: June 17, 2023, 04:14:27 PM »

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Alabama will have to move quickly to comply with a court order to draw new congressional districts for the 2024 elections, and judges indicated Friday that they will give legislators until July 21 to adopt a new map.

https://wbhm.org/2023/alabama-must-move-quickly-to-draw-new-congressional-districts/amp/

What if they don't produce anything or slow-walk it past the deadline? The Ohio GOP stole at least a seat that way.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #494 on: June 17, 2023, 04:22:00 PM »

What if they don't produce anything or slow-walk it past the deadline? The Ohio GOP stole at least a seat that way.

Then a special master is appointed. Ohio GOP found themselves in a unique position because they were before a state court, concerning state laws that prevent the court from taking authority, and they ran out of time - none of which are present.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #495 on: June 20, 2023, 05:23:53 PM »

Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #496 on: June 21, 2023, 07:30:39 PM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #497 on: June 23, 2023, 09:01:07 PM »

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #498 on: June 23, 2023, 09:19:55 PM »

I was correct, they favor a map with no changes to districts 4 and 5.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #499 on: June 23, 2023, 11:11:47 PM »

I know it's not a new change, but what prompted them to push AL-04 to the Tennessee state line? I liked the old (pre-2023) AL-05.

I think that proposal would look a lot better if AL-03 and AL-06 swapped some territory.

That AL-02 looks like nearly a bare minimum effort. They can do better than that. If it's least change, I get it. Even so, that AL-06 is ugly.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies