Will New York City ever lose its status as most populous city in the US?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:41:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will New York City ever lose its status as most populous city in the US?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will New York City ever lose its status as most populous city in the US?  (Read 791 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2024, 01:02:46 PM »

New York basically has been the most populous city in the United States for like 200 years and still ranks on top. Is there a chance within the next few decades that it could lose the title? I actually doubt since Los Angeles is not even half the size (8.8 million versus 3.8 million according to Wikipedia). More generally speaking, it's actually interesting there are just nine cities in the US with a population over one million. Even Germany has four, despite much less overall population.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 01:27:53 PM »

The only thing which I think could potentially displace it in the medium term would be climate change. Maybe I'm optimistic, but I suspect NYC, at least Manhattan, is too essential to the machinery of present-day capital for sea level rise to have much of an impact. Much of the city is also more elevated than you might expect, so even in most projections the vast majority of the city is above water.

That said, it's worth noting that the portions of NYC most at risk from climate change are the low-lying areas around Jamaica Bay, which also are relatively disadvantaged socioeconomically and thus may not get an effective response from the powers that be. (Hopefully this will not actually be the case!).

Climate Change also does mean more variance/extreme weather, which means more frequent hurricanes in particular, but other plausible competitors to NYC have similarly threatening issues -- high temperature risks in the South and Midwest, hurricanes anywhere along the Atlantic or Gulf coasts, flooding in Chicago, fires on the west coast, etc. Everybody is going to have elevated risks of horrible natural disasters.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 01:47:50 PM »

It’s hard to anticipate some sort of shift in municipal boundaries that would result in Los Angeles proper having a larger population than NYC proper. It’s even harder to imagine changes in zoning policy in any other big city proper smaller than those two that would change the order of the Top 3-4 cities proper.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 02:06:34 PM »

They shoukd combine Loa Angeles and Inland Valley MSAs. I suppose that would pass New York MSA at some point.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 03:29:26 PM »

Not in my lifetime, apart from a dramatic (and ridiculous) expansion of city limits from another city.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 03:37:31 PM »

Los Angeles could be made into a combined City-County municipality.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 06:13:07 PM »

Or if NYC gets broken up, and each borough becomes its own city, or something like that.

Otherwise, no, it’s not happening any time soon.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 02:33:42 PM »

That at least would remove Los Angeles' weird actual borders.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 05:11:27 PM »

Yeah unless somewhere like LA greatly expands its borders probably not - no other city has the infrastructure to support the density NYC has.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2024, 10:50:15 AM »

It’s hard to anticipate some sort of shift in municipal boundaries that would result in Los Angeles proper having a larger population than NYC proper. It’s even harder to imagine changes in zoning policy in any other big city proper smaller than those two that would change the order of the Top 3-4 cities proper.

If Dems ever snag control in Texas, I could see them dramatically expanding the cities to include all the reasonably commutable suburbs under the same government, but that still wouldn't overtake NYC.  Even a City of Houston with all of Harris County would only get to 2nd place. 
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2024, 04:31:23 PM »

The only thing that I can see doing it before the end of the century is some sort of municipal consolidation (a la NYC 1898) in Los Angeles or maaaaybe somewhere in Texas depending on how the next several decades of population growth go.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 04:26:10 AM »

Can't say it won't lose it's status "ever" (hate questions phrased like this) but in the foreseeable future I don't see it barring a cataclysmic event.   
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2024, 05:18:50 AM »

Even Germany has four, despite much less overall population.

Germany seems to include much more of urban areas in cities. Los Angeles county alone has 88 cities.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2024, 11:51:58 AM »

If you extrapolate 2020-2022, Phoenix would pass New York to be the largest city in the country by 2065 Cool
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2024, 06:21:54 PM »

If Dems ever snag control in Texas, I could see them dramatically expanding the cities to include all the reasonably commutable suburbs under the same government, but that still wouldn't overtake NYC.  Even a City of Houston with all of Harris County would only get to 2nd place. 
Why would Democrats do that? Why would they care about controlling the suburbs under one roof?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2024, 06:32:15 PM »

Why would Democrats do that? Why would they care about controlling the suburbs under one roof?

Cause “big government” and helping to streamline things, simillar to the way Rs want to break apart certain states and cities so R areas have more influence.

In reality though city consolidation/annexation is pretty rare these days, and I highly doubt would be something seriously discussed.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2024, 06:54:11 PM »

Cause “big government” and helping to streamline things, simillar to the way Rs want to break apart certain states and cities so R areas have more influence.

In reality though city consolidation/annexation is pretty rare these days, and I highly doubt would be something seriously discussed.
I wonder why no one tried that in Tennessee. One reason Memphis is such a cess pool is because of white flight moving all the wealth to the suburbs of Bartlett, Germantown, Millington, Collierville, Lakeland and Arlington (plus the areas in Mississippi and other counties like Tipton and Fayette)

The state hates Memphis. The City of Memphis and County of Shelby County aren't on good terms either

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies