Most Liberal Cities and Counties in America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:18:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most Liberal Cities and Counties in America
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most Liberal Cities and Counties in America  (Read 731 times)
ReaganLimbaugh
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2024, 07:01:38 PM »

Your thoughts
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 02:35:19 PM »

I would say top picks would be

Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
Madison
Boston

A lot of the most Democrat have large African-American communities but aren't necessarily most liberal.  Generally the left of Democrat party tends to be whiter than the more moderate wing which is the most diverse group in country.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 01:43:15 AM »

Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
Madison
Boston

A lot of the most Democrat have large African-American communities but aren't necessarily most liberal.  Generally the left of Democrat party tends to be whiter than the more moderate wing which is the most diverse group in country.

I would say Madison stands out on this list since the others listed are all already in very liberal regions. Also Madison literally has no remotely Conservative suburbs while Boston and Seattle have a few.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 01:46:57 AM »

Underrated one is Santa Fe, especially when you consider it’s decent Hispanic population that has often swung left even as GOP gains with Hispanics nationally.

Also don’t think it’s the most liberal, but I think people really underestimate metro DC; at this point it’s close to places like the Bay Area.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 11:14:41 AM »

The places you described are full of people who would reject the term "liberal" in favor of "leftist". But if you mean most far-left, absolutely Portland, Seattle, and parts of the Bay Area. Cambridge more than Boston itself. Also the gentrifying part of Brooklyn and any community with an elite private liberal arts college.

Basically, if you see a high concentration of non-binary people, Palestinian protests, or people who need to take a shower, there's your answer.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 11:27:51 AM »

Travis county TX is pretty blue and pretty populated.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 11:40:20 AM »

The places you described are full of people who would reject the term "liberal" in favor of "leftist". But if you mean most far-left, absolutely Portland, Seattle, and parts of the Bay Area. Cambridge more than Boston itself. Also the gentrifying part of Brooklyn and any community with an elite private liberal arts college.

Basically, if you see a high concentration of non-binary people, Palestinian protests, or people who need to take a shower, there's your answer.

On that note, Berkeley is certainly further left than San Francisco.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2024, 04:19:19 PM »

Underrated one is Santa Fe, especially when you consider it’s decent Hispanic population that has often swung left even as GOP gains with Hispanics nationally.

Also don’t think it’s the most liberal, but I think people really underestimate metro DC; at this point it’s close to places like the Bay Area.
DC is more Democratic than leftist.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2024, 04:45:44 PM »

Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
Madison
Boston

I would say Madison stands out on this list since the others listed are all already in very liberal regions. Also Madison literally has no remotely Conservative suburbs while Boston and Seattle have a few.

Which Boston and Seattle suburbs stand out to you as being conservative?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2024, 04:52:12 PM »

Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
Madison
Boston

In Seattle, you have a decent handful of Conservative suburbs to the south and southwest of the city; mainly is Pierce County.

In Boston, it's to the immediate north and south of the city core.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2024, 10:30:26 PM »

In Seattle, you have a decent handful of Conservative suburbs to the south and southwest of the city; mainly is Pierce County.

In Boston, it's to the immediate north and south of the city core.

Hmm, the further-out South King County suburbs and exurbs don't seem particularly right-wing to me. They vote the way you'd expect relatively blue-collar and Posturbia (working to lower-middle class) suburbs would. You can make an argument for Tacoma's suburbs like Puyallup based on some of them not being clearly D-leaning in recent presidential election results, but it feels weird to think of the Everett and Tacoma suburbs as suburbs of Seattle.

How do you determine which suburbs are more "right-wing"? This certainly doesn't seem borne out by 2020-PRES results in the case of Metro Boston.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2024, 11:52:01 PM »

Philly?
Denver?
Seattle?
Portland?
San Francisco?
Oakland?
Chicago?
Madison?
Austin?
Boston?
Manhattan?
Tiger08
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2024, 06:29:41 PM »

Places that come to mind for me: Seattle, Portland, SF, Denver, Minneapolis, Madison. East Coast cities don't feel as left wing as their West Coast counterparts, even if they are just as blue. The East Coast cities do have very left wing pockets though.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2024, 06:33:46 PM »

Places that come to mind for me: Seattle, Portland, SF, Denver, Minneapolis, Madison. East Coast cities don't feel as left wing as their West Coast counterparts, even if they are just as blue. The East Coast cities do have very left wing pockets though.

Part of that is large African-American population and Puerto Rican as both vote heavily Democrat but neither is particularly liberal.  Also have large Jewish population who is somewhat liberal, but more your upper middle class socially conscious not your woke type.  Amongst whites, large Irish & Italian communities who historically went heavily Democrat but were more your blue collar populists not especially liberal.  Irish still lean Democrat but Italians have swung heavily over to GOP especially in New York and New Jersey, less so in Massachusetts.

Also East seems more establishment type while West is more your innovative challenge status quo mentality so that makes it more open to radical ideas.  Libertarianism also stronger in Western US than East so its not just on left but also on right have different strands.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2024, 06:42:45 PM »

Detroit is the most Democratic-voting city in the US, IIRC.

A for the "most liberal," probably someplace in or near the San Francisco Bay Area.
SInNYC

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2024, 09:56:46 AM »

It depends on what liberal means. It used to be said somewhat jokingly that SF is where people kick homeless people on the way to the gay rights march. Although thats a huge exaggeration, the sentiment is not completely false either.

Berkeley of course is more liberal. But Silicon Valley is definitely not.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies