2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Alabama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 02:26:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Alabama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 34
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Alabama  (Read 50281 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: June 14, 2022, 12:36:16 PM »

Also right before the midterms seems like a bad timing for a favorable ruling to the gop since it doesn’t really affect much on their side but gives Dems a great attack against them to motivate voters.

Indeed - if there’s anything that can motivate the average, not-already-super-involved-or-partisan voter to head to the polls and vote for Democrats, it’s Alabama's congressional map, especially amid soaring inflation, gas prices, rent, and crime rates.

Amazing how one can spin everything as bad news for the GOP, no matter how ludicrous the reasoning.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #451 on: June 14, 2022, 12:42:01 PM »

What would the optics of the state being represented by seven white Republicans be like?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #452 on: June 14, 2022, 12:57:41 PM »

Also right before the midterms seems like a bad timing for a favorable ruling to the gop since it doesn’t really affect much on their side but gives Dems a great attack against them to motivate voters.

Indeed - if there’s anything that can motivate the average, not-already-super-involved-or-partisan voter to head to the polls and vote for Democrats, it’s Alabama's congressional map, especially amid soaring inflation, gas prices, rent, and crime rates.

Amazing how one can spin everything as bad news for the GOP, no matter how ludicrous the reasoning.

It would persuade very few voters but could give a slight boost to Dems turnout, especially college students and younger folks.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #453 on: June 14, 2022, 01:41:02 PM »

It would persuade very few voters but could give a slight boost to Dems turnout, especially college students and younger folks.

Which - even if true - will surely be the saving grace for Democratic candidates running in Alabama this year.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #454 on: June 14, 2022, 02:06:43 PM »

Will Terri Sewell be doomed?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #455 on: June 14, 2022, 02:07:05 PM »

Which - even if true - will surely be the saving grace for Democratic candidates running in Alabama this year.

Georgia says hello
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #456 on: June 15, 2022, 02:51:44 AM »

She's beyond doomed.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #457 on: June 15, 2022, 02:51:58 AM »

What would the optics of the state being represented by seven white Republicans be like?
Pretty on-brand for Alabama
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #458 on: June 08, 2023, 09:44:29 AM »
« Edited: June 08, 2023, 09:52:48 AM by Atlas Force »

patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #459 on: June 08, 2023, 09:49:45 AM »

I suppose the big question is whether they go for including Mobile in the southern district or not. Something vaguely like these options are probably the two main options.

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #460 on: June 08, 2023, 09:52:21 AM »

Crazy to read some of the doom posts in here given this decision.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #461 on: June 08, 2023, 10:02:16 AM »

I suppose the big question is whether they go for including Mobile in the southern district or not. Something vaguely like these options are probably the two main options.

SNIP

Here are some of the plaintiff maps, the Mobile link is all but ordered:

Additionally, the State BOE map - with 8 districts - will likely be another guide when it comes to this process:

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #462 on: June 08, 2023, 10:18:03 AM »

Here's a few styles of map I created ~1 year age. Yes, I deem it likely Montgomery will be cut so as to at the minimum remove the wealthy White donor neighborhoods, the capital, and the universities - all things the GOP would like to keep in their possession. The 7th or Birmingham seat need not be over 50% BVAP to easier perform - I don't think it is in every plaintiff map  - but it'll probably come close at minimum given how things are done in the south.

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #463 on: June 08, 2023, 10:39:17 AM »

Yeah cutting Montgomery is pretty useful in that it lets you have a pretty clean southern border for the southermost Black influence district.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #464 on: June 08, 2023, 10:42:21 AM »

Pour one out for the teens on ET drawing fantasy maps of the South with like 5 total African-American Democrats in anticipation of this ruling.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #465 on: June 10, 2023, 12:59:15 AM »

I assume the configuration will be Birmingham to Mobile and a Montgomery-based black belt seat. Should Sewell move back home to Selma then Woodfin probably has the other seat should he want it. If a white person ends up in the western seat, I could maybe see Walt Maddox going for it too. If Sewell stays in Birmingham, Montgomery Mayor Steven Reed could go for it, I suppose.

Birmingham is a little too populous for this; population math tends to push towards one Montgomery-Mobile seat and one Birmingham seat with a slice of the Black Belt.

You can include Selma in the Birmingham seat, actually. Even though Republicans are drawing the map I wouldn't be surprised if they threw Sewell a bone and did that, which would suggest that the rep for the southern seat would likely come from Montgomery or Mobile.

Epaminondas

« Reply #466 on: June 10, 2023, 06:01:38 AM »

Is there a reason that South-Western sliver near Mobile cannot be included in Sewell's district?

Discontinuous districts look gerrymandered.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #467 on: June 10, 2023, 09:37:38 AM »

I think the court will leave AL-4 and AL-5 untouched, and just do minimal changes to AL-3 and AL-6.   All the real changes will be between 1, 2, and 7 in the south.

Here's what I came up with, somewhat of a least change map I guess (or as close to one as possible) -

https://davesredistricting.org/join/c3aa1155-40cc-4845-9a2a-30678c997a05
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #468 on: June 10, 2023, 10:06:56 AM »

Is there a reason that South-Western sliver near Mobile cannot be included in Sewell's district?

It's extremely white and very populous; I doubt the district passes VRA muster if it's included.

In my map I split precincts so it had a road connection with the rest of AL-01, but yeah, it's pretty crummy and the one bad part of this decision.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #469 on: June 10, 2023, 10:08:52 AM »

I think the court will leave AL-4 and AL-5 untouched, and just do minimal changes to AL-3 and AL-6.   All the real changes will be between 1, 2, and 7 in the south.

Here's what I came up with, somewhat of a least change map I guess (or as close to one as possible) -

https://davesredistricting.org/join/c3aa1155-40cc-4845-9a2a-30678c997a05

Not obviously less compact than the current map!  SCOTUS clearly made the right call here.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #470 on: June 10, 2023, 10:59:30 AM »

It's extremely white and very populous; I doubt the district passes VRA muster if it's included.

In my map I split precincts so it had a road connection with the rest of AL-01, but yeah, it's pretty crummy and the one bad part of this decision.

I mean if the people who end up drawing the map really care about this instance of road connectivity between Mobile and Baldwin counties in potential AL-01s, they'll cut a few precincts to follow I-10 through Mobile City and across the Bay.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #471 on: June 10, 2023, 02:35:22 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/912c7ee5-e1d0-4919-a375-032204dfa828
Thoughts on this?
Epaminondas

« Reply #472 on: June 10, 2023, 02:48:59 PM »

Much nicer, but I see the dilemma now, it's only Biden+5.
Impossible to get 2 performing Black districts while keeping Mobile county whole.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #473 on: June 10, 2023, 02:59:13 PM »

Much nicer, but I see the dilemma now, it's only Biden+5.
Impossible to get 2 performing Black districts while keeping Mobile county whole.
Biden+7 is not black performing?
Epaminondas

« Reply #474 on: June 10, 2023, 03:20:49 PM »

I would guess not in midterms due to massive AA turnout dropoff.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies