2020 Redistricting in Arizona
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:38:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Redistricting in Arizona
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Author Topic: 2020 Redistricting in Arizona  (Read 24191 times)
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: December 10, 2021, 06:58:27 PM »

So the most recent Arizona map seems like a pretty solid 7-2.

I'm shocked, I tell you.

It has 4 Biden seats and the 5th one should be a Biden seat as well once they adjust the deviation.

538 of course is being idiotic.

This is a 7-2 Republican map in 2022.  Dems likely are not winning an Biden + 6 district (Stanton’s AZ-04) in 2022.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #201 on: December 10, 2021, 07:00:44 PM »

I'm shocked, I tell you.

It has 4 Biden seats and the 5th one should be a Biden seat as well once they adjust the deviation.

This is a 7-2 Republican map in 2022.  Dems likely are not winning an Biden + 6 district (Stanton’s AZ-04) in 2022.
By no means is it solid. The Dem was the one who proposed unpacking Stantons seat by adding in West Mesa and removing Phoenix. Most of the skirmishing seems to be in outstate.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #202 on: December 10, 2021, 07:03:44 PM »

538 makes it look like a super GOP gerrymander.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #203 on: December 10, 2021, 07:05:17 PM »

I'm shocked, I tell you.

This is a 7-2 Republican map in 2022.  Dems likely are not winning an Biden + 6 district (Stanton’s AZ-04) in 2022.

Chill out. Of course Democrats can win a Biden +6 district. Even if it goes R in 2022, it would probably be a one-term rental.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #204 on: December 10, 2021, 07:07:44 PM »

Is there a DRA link for this? Just as they always do, Democrats are just whining about how everything is supposedly so unfair and rigged against them. But I bet at least four, maybe even five, districts voted to the left of the state.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #205 on: December 10, 2021, 07:11:41 PM »

Is there a DRA link for this? Just as they always do, Democrats are just whining about how everything is supposedly so unfair and rigged against them. But I bet at least four, maybe even five, districts voted to the left of the state.

4 Biden with a Trump +0 district.

Adjusting the population will make it a Biden district.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #206 on: December 10, 2021, 07:17:27 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2021, 07:24:02 PM by Roll Roons »

AZ-02 and AZ-08 could very well go Dem in a 2018-type year.

Also even if 2022 produces a 7R-2D delegation, waves often do produce anomalous results.

Iowa's House delegation was 3D-1R (and very nearly 4D-0R) after 2018. In 2010, Republicans won a majority of districts in Illinois despite the fact that the state's favorite son had won it by 25 points just two years earlier.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #207 on: December 10, 2021, 07:18:41 PM »

Yeah 538 PVIs for Arizona are misleading because Biden outperformed many by 5-10% in 2020 meaning even a seat 538 calls “lean R” could have been a narrow Biden seat.

Map 8.1 seems 5-4 Trump  with 1 being marginal for Biden and 6 narrowly going for Trump.

In 8.2 is also 5-4 Trump with Biden winning 8 and 4 relatively easily but Trump holding 6 and 1

8.3 seems 5-4 Biden with Biden winning 4, 6, and 1, and all 3 including 1 voting to the left of the state in 2020. Even AZ-8 was prolly reasonably close and Kelly may have come very close to winning it.

8.4 is simillar to 8.3 except 1 seems like it was extremely close, 8 is shored up, but 10 gets closer.

Important to remember that again 2020 Pres is not represented well by 538 PVI, and also the current map is kinda a slight Dem Gerry. I do appreciate though how they largely kept 8 and 5 in the Phoenix. metro and didn’t stretch them into exurbs or rurals.

Overall these maps are fairer than people give them credit for.

I also do appreciate how they made quite a lot of competitive districts something which is overall lacking nationally
compucomp

« Reply #208 on: December 10, 2021, 07:19:33 PM »

538 calculates the deviation of the median district from the whole state and for this map it's 0. The efficiency gap is also calculated and it is D+2. 538 uses data from multiple elections to calculate their partisan lean so for a traditionally R but D trending state like AZ, districts will appear more R than they were in the 2020 Presidential election. Yes this means in 2022 Republicans are favored on this map and could win 7-2 but if the D trend continues several districts could flip and Dems could win 6-3.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #209 on: December 10, 2021, 07:21:07 PM »

Yeah 538 PVIs for Arizona are misleading because Biden outperformed many by 5-10% in 2020 meaning even a seat 538 calls “lean R” could have been a narrow Biden seat.

Map 8.1 seems 5-4 Trump  with 1 being marginal for Biden and 6 narrowly going for Trump.

In 8.2 is also 5-4 Trump with Biden winning 8 and 4 relatively easily but Trump holding 6 and 1

8.3 seems 5-4 Biden with Biden winning 4, 6, and 1, and all 3 including 1 voting to the left of the state in 2020. Even AZ-8 was prolly reasonably close and Kelly may have come very close to winning it.

8.4 is simillar to 8.3 except 1 seems like it was extremely close, 8 is shored up, but 10 gets closer.

Important to remember that again 2020 Pres is not represented well by 538 PVI, and also the current map is kinda a slight Dem Gerry. I do appreciate though how they largely kept 8 and 5 in the Phoenix. metro and didn’t stretch them into exurbs or rurals.

The current map is sorta a dem gerry, but not by the end. AZ01 is really gerrymandered to be almost as D friendly as possible but AZ09 was similar in 2012 to be quite D friendly but by now it is almost a D pack compared to AZ06  and AZ08. AZ02 was drawn relatively D friendly but it still probably would have been at least a Biden district by 2020.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #210 on: December 10, 2021, 07:23:15 PM »

Isn't the AZ Commission required to create competitive districts? This map certainly does that.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #211 on: December 10, 2021, 07:24:40 PM »

4 Biden with a Trump +0 district.

Adjusting the population will make it a Biden district.

Lol I always forget how tiny 8 can be and still be very R. Same goes for 5.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #212 on: December 10, 2021, 07:31:03 PM »

One thing I don't like that the commission is doing is that it's obviously splitting Tucson but it seems to be intentionally giving all the bluest parts to the third district. There are a bunch of pretty white but very blue precincts in Tucson which are being packed into the third right now. I think it would improve the map significantly if those precincts were given to the second district; that way, AZ-02 is made more competitive and AZ-03 is more Hispanic.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #213 on: December 10, 2021, 11:08:52 PM »

One thing I don't like that the commission is doing is that it's obviously splitting Tucson but it seems to be intentionally giving all the bluest parts to the third district. There are a bunch of pretty white but very blue precincts in Tucson which are being packed into the third right now. I think it would improve the map significantly if those precincts were given to the second district; that way, AZ-02 is made more competitive and AZ-03 is more Hispanic.

Ye 3 feels kinda like a Dem max pack, but tbf some small decisions being made to cancel out Ds geography edge seems appropriate.
kwabbit

« Reply #214 on: December 10, 2021, 11:34:43 PM »

2010 Commission handshake emoji 2020 Commission

Inadvertently creating maps that are essentially partisan gerrymanders.

This map is legitimately basically two Dem packs. It looks very similar to actual gerrymanders for Republicans that I've drawn in DRA.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #215 on: December 10, 2021, 11:59:03 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2021, 08:09:18 PM by lfromnj »

2010 Commission handshake emoji 2020 Commission

Inadvertently creating maps that are essentially partisan gerrymanders.

This map is legitimately basically two Dem packs. It looks very similar to actual gerrymanders for Republicans that I've drawn in DRA.

Ducey definitely tried to push it but Neuberg seems to be trying for consensus. Maricopa is pretty fine, Rs did seem like they are getting a small win in Tucson but the North district was definetely gerrymandered previously.

An actual R gerrymander would just further pack Stanton into a Safe seat.  Instead they unpacked him. IIRC the dem original plan was to unpack him to around Biden +10 but Rs managed to get a few points more by trading with Biggs who is still pretty safe.

However the 2010 map was quite clearly an intentional in its goals.

Proof of intent is here in the legislative map population deviation when created in 2010. Pretty clearly overpopulates R districts and underpopulates Dem districts.

Basically the infighting between the Dems and the Rs is pretty damn clear political but Neuberg has attempted to side with both sides depending on the district.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #216 on: December 11, 2021, 04:58:21 AM »
« Edited: December 11, 2021, 05:01:51 AM by Sol »

That new AZ-01/02 is hideous--why does that district have to go into Pinal?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #217 on: December 11, 2021, 08:10:53 AM »

Yeah, this is obviously rigged for the GOP as much as (or more than) it was rigged for the Dems in 2010. Both are bad, of course, but making a competitive state 6-2-1 is especially egregious.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #218 on: December 11, 2021, 11:24:58 AM »

Dra?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #219 on: December 11, 2021, 02:30:30 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2021, 02:54:10 PM by lfromnj »

Yeah, this is obviously rigged for the GOP as much as (or more than) it was rigged for the Dems in 2010. Both are bad, of course, but making a competitive state 6-2-1 is especially egregious.

How is it 6 2 1?

Arizona suburban Ds barely ran behind Biden.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #220 on: December 11, 2021, 02:33:00 PM »

How is it 6 2 1?

In 2022 they will by more.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #221 on: December 11, 2021, 02:54:34 PM »

How is it 6 2 1?

I'm looking at PVI, which is the only actually objective metric we have. I had a whole quote pyramid in another thread about all the subjective guesswork nonsense people put into their analysis of these maps and I'm not relitigating this point again.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #222 on: December 11, 2021, 02:58:12 PM »

How is it 6 2 1?

I'm looking at PVI, which is the only actually objective metric we have. I had a whole quote pyramid in another thread about all the subjective guesswork nonsense people put into their analysis of these maps and I'm not relitigating this point again.

538 PVI seems to assume AZ is an R + 8 state or so rather than a true tossup. 6R - 3D on average in an R + 8 state seems p fair. I think the bigger argument would be that in 2016 Pres when AZ was close it was 7R - 2D which definately isn’t fair.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #223 on: December 11, 2021, 03:16:28 PM »

How is it 6 2 1?

538 PVI seems to assume AZ is an R + 8 state or so rather than a true tossup. 6R - 3D on average in an R + 8 state seems p fair. I think the bigger argument would be that in 2016 Pres when AZ was close it was 7R - 2D which definately isn’t fair.

Do you have info on how 538 calculates the PVI? I assumed it was an average of 2016 and 2020, but that would be around R+5. Maybe they include local races (which is pretty dumb if so since there's no way to normalize that to a national baseline, but whatever). Either way, it's pretty transparent that this is a gerrymander.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #224 on: December 11, 2021, 03:17:36 PM »

How is it 6 2 1?

Do you have info on how 538 calculates the PVI? I assumed it was an average of 2016 and 2020, but that would be around R+5. Maybe they include local races (which is pretty dumb if so since there's no way to normalize that to a national baseline, but whatever). Either way, it's pretty transparent that this is a gerrymander.

Iirc 25% comes from state legislative
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies