2020 Redistricting in Arizona
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:32:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Redistricting in Arizona
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Author Topic: 2020 Redistricting in Arizona  (Read 23809 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2020, 09:28:24 PM »

https://www.azmirror.com/2020/10/08/five-finalists-to-lead-independent-redistricting-committee-chosen/

The five finalists are:

Nicole Cullen, an American history, American government and criminal justice teacher at Perry High School in Gilbert.
Thomas Loquvam, general counsel and vice president of corporate services at the utility company EPCOR. He previously served as general counsel at Pinnacle West, the parent company of Arizona Public Service.
Erika Schupak Neuberg, a psychologist with a practice in Scottsdale who serves as a national board member for the American Israel Public Affairs Committee.
Gregory Teesdale, an Oro Valley resident and former executive at venture capital companies
Robert Wilson, who owns a business consulting practice and gun store in Flagstaff.

Description of all 5 in the article, feel free to read through.

Based on the bios, Cullen and Neuberg are probably the only ones who aren't guaranteed to be partisan Republicans

Neuberg dropped out by the way.

This is likely to end in a deadlock with all the D commissioners voting for Cullen and all the R commissioners voting for Wilson.  What happens then?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2020, 09:29:09 PM »

https://www.azmirror.com/2020/10/08/five-finalists-to-lead-independent-redistricting-committee-chosen/

The five finalists are:

Nicole Cullen, an American history, American government and criminal justice teacher at Perry High School in Gilbert.
Thomas Loquvam, general counsel and vice president of corporate services at the utility company EPCOR. He previously served as general counsel at Pinnacle West, the parent company of Arizona Public Service.
Erika Schupak Neuberg, a psychologist with a practice in Scottsdale who serves as a national board member for the American Israel Public Affairs Committee.
Gregory Teesdale, an Oro Valley resident and former executive at venture capital companies
Robert Wilson, who owns a business consulting practice and gun store in Flagstaff.

Description of all 5 in the article, feel free to read through.

Based on the bios, Cullen and Neuberg are probably the only ones who aren't guaranteed to be partisan Republicans

Neuberg dropped out by the way.

This is likely to end in a deadlock with all the D commissioners voting for Cullen and all the R commissioners voting for Wilson.  What happens then?

AZ supreme court picks?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2020, 10:58:54 PM »

Torie could you give the link for your map?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2020, 09:09:22 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2020, 11:51:40 AM by Torie »

Torie could you give the link for your map?

Hitting the publish button on the DRA and then copying the URL link as instructed by its directions does not seem to work, but here it is. If someone can explain what the glitch is, that would be helpful.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/9fa4f10f-7eb4-4238-b301-2847c74dcb26

Anyway, this image is kind of cool. The partisan colors are from the 2018 senate race.

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2020, 02:05:48 PM »

Ooof I do not think that Grijalva's district there is legal lol
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2020, 02:49:55 PM »

Neither is AZ-1
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2020, 02:50:16 PM »

Neither is AZ-1

AZ01 is definitely not VRA protected. Just don't split those reservations.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2020, 02:55:47 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2020, 03:01:22 PM by Torie »

Yes it is, and I am the lawyer, and you are not. Smiley

Anyway, I don't want to debate the point now too much. But there is nothing that requires a VRA CD that has to stretch over a 100 miles of empty desert, and the CD probably has a majority of Hispanic voters, or at least Hispanic CVAP (circa 5 years ago, 39.3% of the CVAP was Hispanic (probably higher now), and AZ has closed primaries), voting in a Dem primary, in any event. Moreover, Hispanics are becoming less of a distinctive voting block, and there is less and less white hostility to voting for them, as time goes by. I suspect Hispanics and the VRA are on its last legs at this point, but we shall see about that as time goes by.

Case dismissed. Next!
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2020, 03:00:33 PM »

^Especially in Pima county, there isn't significant racial block voting as far as I can tell.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2020, 03:04:24 PM »

^Especially in Pima county, there isn't significant racial block voting as far as I can tell.

The incumbent's biggest fans in fact are white liberals associated with the University of Tuscon. He does not do very well with Hispanics associated with the military base, and those patrolling the border, who love the wall. So many stereotypes, so little time.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2020, 03:04:25 PM »

Neither is AZ-1

It's not the VRA - There's rules the commission has to follow in regard to COI's and the Indian Reservations are quite heavily weighted in the rules.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2020, 03:12:28 PM »

Neither is AZ-1

It's not the VRA - There's rules the commission has to follow in regard to COI's and the Indian Reservations are quite heavily weighted in the rules.

I'm pretty sure Torie's map keeps individual reservations together--I don't think there's some requirement that all reservations have to be in the same district, or the 2000 map wouldn't've happened.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2020, 03:18:20 PM by Torie »

How did the map traduce the tribes? I was taught about respecting the tribes in no uncertain terms by a Welshman of all people that still posts here once in a while.

In the old days job one was keeping the Hopis and Navajos apart because the Hopis considered the Navajos land grabbers. But they kissed and made up for purposes of redistricting after the 2010 census.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2020, 03:20:00 PM »

*shrugs* we'll see I guess, but they've never made an AZ-1 that didn't include the White Mountain and San Carlos reservations.  Definitely seems "practicable" to me to include them.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2020, 03:20:08 PM »

Anyway, I don't want to debate the point now too much. But there is nothing that requires a VRA CD that has to stretch over a 100 miles of empty desert, and the CD probably has a majority of Hispanic voters, or at least Hispanic CVAP (circa 5 years ago, 39.3% of the CVAP was Hispanic (probably higher now), and AZ has closed primaries), voting in a Dem primary, in any event. Moreover, Hispanics are becoming less of a distinctive voting block, and there is less and less white hostility to voting for them, as time goes by. I suspect Hispanics and the VRA are on its last legs at this point, but we shall see about that as time goes by.

Case dismissed. Next!

I mean, this is the tricky thing about the VRA right? There ought to be at least a pretty strong shot for the Latino candidate of choice to win both the primary and the general, and since Latino voters tend to be less politically unified that does require at least somewhat higher Latino percentages.

In any case it's definitely possible to have an at least slightly more Latino AZ-03 while still making AZ-02 more R (like this map I posted upthread) and if the GOP-dominated commission is trying to draw a fake fair map, I imagine they'd like to avoid controversy related to the VRA.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2020, 03:23:42 PM »

Well we shall just agree to disagree on this matter. Life is still beautiful, and I won't consider you HP's for failing to be persuaded by me.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2020, 10:55:28 PM »

Case dismissed. Next!

I mean, this is the tricky thing about the VRA right? There ought to be at least a pretty strong shot for the Latino candidate of choice to win both the primary and the general, and since Latino voters tend to be less politically unified that does require at least somewhat higher Latino percentages.

In any case it's definitely possible to have an at least slightly more Latino AZ-03 while still making AZ-02 more R (like this map I posted upthread) and if the GOP-dominated commission is trying to draw a fake fair map, I imagine they'd like to avoid controversy related to the VRA.

For the GOp map why keep the arm to Yuma?
Just put it with Maricopa?
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2020, 12:33:27 AM »

Neither is AZ-1

I'm pretty sure Torie's map keeps individual reservations together--I don't think there's some requirement that all reservations have to be in the same district, or the 2000 map wouldn't've happened.

The 2000 map happened because the Navajo and Hopi requested that they be in separate congressional districts due to a dispute. That dispute had been settled by the time 2011 redistricting rolled around.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2021, 12:25:06 PM »

Good news! Looks like AZGOP efforts to mess with the redistricting commission has failed. The 5th/Independent member is a true independent.

Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2021, 12:53:07 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2021, 07:57:39 PM by Stuart98 »

5-5 GOP Dem map. AZ-8 is really wacky though.

This map splits the Tohono Oʼodham reservation and is thus illegal.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2021, 02:43:01 PM »

This is her donation history. Seems very broad but she did donate to O'Hallerhan.  Considering he is the dude that gets the  most screwed in an actually fair map thats a good sign for him.(Kirkpatrick will take a hit no matter what but she wouldn't be screwed.)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2021, 11:21:29 AM »

I think this is now highly likely to be a 5/5 map, or 5/4/1 for one side or the other depending on how much they emphasize compactness vs. competitiveness.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2021, 12:44:32 PM »

AZ-02 Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick has announced that she won’t seek reelection in 2022. How does this development affect the new map?
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2021, 02:16:34 PM »

Does the commission even consider incumbency? I doubt it affects much.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2021, 09:47:44 PM »

This is the kind of map the AZ GOP might have passed in their dream scenario.
https://davesredistricting.org/join/b1c87619-fa1d-474f-b420-c1fd6abea519
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies