Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 05:15:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2  (Read 107202 times)
Higgins
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1775 on: November 18, 2019, 10:54:00 PM »

The fact of the matter is that legalizing a narcotic, unless you’re going to heavily regulate it, is not a good idea. And Pot is in essence a behavior and mind altering narcotic. Wanna make medical marijuana legal? Go ahead. As long as it’s not abused or prescribed lightly.

We don’t need to be a nation of potheads. I say that as a Millenial in 2019 who has tried Pot a few times. We have enough issues with having an over medicated society as is. Why add to it? Because Millenials need their 420 brah?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1776 on: November 18, 2019, 11:13:46 PM »

The fact of the matter is that legalizing a narcotic, unless you’re going to heavily regulate it, is not a good idea. And Pot is in essence a behavior and mind altering narcotic. Wanna make medical marijuana legal? Go ahead. As long as it’s not abused or prescribed lightly.

We don’t need to be a nation of potheads. I say that as a Millenial in 2019 who has tried Pot a few times. We have enough issues with having an over medicated society as is. Why add to it? Because Millenials need their 420 brah?

I don't get it either.
You have people wanting strong medical care for everyone (which is great), yet promote wanting laws that legalize everything surrounded by something that makes people sick (especially over the long term use of said product).
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1777 on: November 18, 2019, 11:25:40 PM »

And you obviously didn't grow up in any place where the substance was a black market of prohibition levels of crazy either. Somewhere where  a non-insignificant number of stoners actually voted to keep it illegal to avoid regulation

Yeah...I'm officially done with Biden. I'd vote for him if he became the nominee. But let me tell you, I would not at all excited to vote for a soon to be 79 year old (by inauguration day 2021) who should have run in 2016 and continues to have policies straight out of the 1980s (standing by his past record of being against busing to desegregate schools, being against Marijuana legalization, I'm sure there are others I can't think of currently).

Misleading headline.  Here is the actual quote.

“The truth of the matter is, there’s not nearly been enough evidence that has been acquired as to whether or not it is a gateway drug,” Biden said, according to Business Insider. “It’s a debate, and I want a lot more before I legalize it nationally. I want to make sure we know a lot more about the science behind it.”

Biden, as he has throughout his time on the campaign trail, said he supports medical marijuana and insisted possession of the substance "should not be a crime."

But he also said Saturday that he thinks the decision to legalize marijuana should be left up to individual states.

“States should be able to make a judgment to legalize marijuana,” he said at the town hall.

As for legalization on a federal level, Biden said more research is needed.

"It is not irrational to do more scientific investigation to determine, which we have not done significantly enough, whether or not there are any things that relate to whether it's a gateway drug or not," Biden said.

So in summary:

Biden supports decriminalization of marijuana
Biden supports allowing states to legalize marijuana
Biden wants more research done on marijuana impact before legalizing it at the federal level, which would force all states to legalize it.

Basically his position is "you can legalize it if you want, but I don't know enough yet to FORCE you to."

Much more nuanced than "lol weed bad"

Just like Goldwater's civil rights position!  State's Rights errybody!

You’re gonna equate the right to be a pothead burnout to having equality, having the right to vote and being treated as a human being? Classy.

Depending on how you view the War on Drugs in general, these things aren't exactly different at all, even mayhaps linked.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1778 on: November 19, 2019, 03:32:15 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2019, 04:13:37 PM by Scott 🤡🌏 »

Given that two-thirds of Americans support marijuana legalization and the only generation that doesn't give majority support for legalization is Boomers, I am convinced that Biden is a true believer on this.  I don't think he's so stupid to not be able to read a poll, but he like the majority of the ruling class opposes legalization because most of them grew up in the Reefer Madness era.

But public support for legalization at this point is high enough where not supporting it is politically toxic.  Nearly three-quarters of non-college-educated independents in the Rust Belt support legalization - they are, in fact, more likely to support legalization than college-educated voters.

Democrats are dumb so of course they support the candidate with the most right-wing, unpopular stance on weed as the front runner.  No, it is not an issue that is on top of most people's minds, but if the leading potential Democratic nominee can't see the writing on the wall and guide the party to embrace something that the vast majority of the American public supports, is he really as "electable" as his supporters insist he is?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1779 on: November 19, 2019, 08:23:38 AM »

Biden opposes pot legalization?  That is stupid.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1780 on: November 19, 2019, 11:46:16 AM »

Voters care about campaign finance reform, making middle class tax cuts permanent,  he shares the same goal as Warren, Buttigieg and Sanders. That's why every poll, has Biden resurgence now.
Higgins
« Reply #1781 on: November 19, 2019, 01:44:42 PM »

And you obviously didn't grow up in any place where the substance was a black market of prohibition levels of crazy either. Somewhere where  a non-insignificant number of stoners actually voted to keep it illegal to avoid regulation

Yeah...I'm officially done with Biden. I'd vote for him if he became the nominee. But let me tell you, I would not at all excited to vote for a soon to be 79 year old (by inauguration day 2021) who should have run in 2016 and continues to have policies straight out of the 1980s (standing by his past record of being against busing to desegregate schools, being against Marijuana legalization, I'm sure there are others I can't think of currently).

Misleading headline.  Here is the actual quote.

“The truth of the matter is, there’s not nearly been enough evidence that has been acquired as to whether or not it is a gateway drug,” Biden said, according to Business Insider. “It’s a debate, and I want a lot more before I legalize it nationally. I want to make sure we know a lot more about the science behind it.”

Biden, as he has throughout his time on the campaign trail, said he supports medical marijuana and insisted possession of the substance "should not be a crime."

But he also said Saturday that he thinks the decision to legalize marijuana should be left up to individual states.

“States should be able to make a judgment to legalize marijuana,” he said at the town hall.

As for legalization on a federal level, Biden said more research is needed.

"It is not irrational to do more scientific investigation to determine, which we have not done significantly enough, whether or not there are any things that relate to whether it's a gateway drug or not," Biden said.

So in summary:

Biden supports decriminalization of marijuana
Biden supports allowing states to legalize marijuana
Biden wants more research done on marijuana impact before legalizing it at the federal level, which would force all states to legalize it.

Basically his position is "you can legalize it if you want, but I don't know enough yet to FORCE you to."

Much more nuanced than "lol weed bad"

Just like Goldwater's civil rights position!  State's Rights errybody!

You’re gonna equate the right to be a pothead burnout to having equality, having the right to vote and being treated as a human being? Classy.

Depending on how you view the War on Drugs in general, these things aren't exactly different at all, even mayhaps linked.

No, the right to get high isn’t linked to the right to vote, except I feel potheads shouldn’t be allowed to vote.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1782 on: November 19, 2019, 10:54:33 PM »

This isn't true at all, btw. States absolutely can ban things allowed federally. Mississippi kept Prohibition going over 30 years after the 21st Amendment.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1783 on: November 19, 2019, 11:40:33 PM »

This isn't true at all, btw. States absolutely can ban things allowed federally. Mississippi kept Prohibition going over 30 years after the 21st Amendment.

Depends whether he ties it to block grants, which is basically what people mean by federal legalization these days.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1784 on: November 20, 2019, 12:36:18 AM »

Depends whether he ties it to block grants, which is basically what people mean by federal legalization these days.

No...Huh

Most people who talk about federal legalization are meaning descheduling it (not lowering it to a lower schedule, but descheduling completely) and making it no longer a controlled substance. States would be welcome to continue individually banning it or making rules regarding its use if they chose, or not if they didn't choose.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1785 on: November 20, 2019, 01:58:31 PM »

HAPPY 77th BIRTHDAY to the next President of the United States!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1786 on: November 20, 2019, 03:45:12 PM »

Smiley
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #1787 on: November 20, 2019, 03:53:59 PM »

A bizarre sentence. No 77-year old should be a serious presidential contender.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1788 on: November 20, 2019, 04:00:39 PM »

DNA test shows Hunter Biden is father of Arkansas woman's baby
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1789 on: November 20, 2019, 04:14:13 PM »

Congrats to Joe Biden on his Arkansas grandbaby.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1790 on: November 20, 2019, 04:15:08 PM »

Except for Saint Bernard Tongue
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #1791 on: November 20, 2019, 04:22:27 PM »

I think Sanders is too old as well. Ideally no one past normal retirement age should be running for president. But there is a lack of credible left wing candidates between 35 and 65, which makes it a bit more reasonable for Sanders and Warren to run.
Higgins
« Reply #1792 on: November 20, 2019, 11:35:22 PM »

I think Sanders is too old as well. Ideally no one past normal retirement age should be running for president. But there is a lack of credible left wing candidates between 35 and 65, which makes it a bit more reasonable for Sanders and Warren to run.

“Old candidates are okay when they align with my leftist ideology.”

As long as a candidate is mentally sound, and physically capable, I’d vote for one of any age. He’ll, I was just talking to my 90 year old grandpa the other day. Physically as fit as someone in their 60s, top, and mentally as sharp as a damn tack. Sharper than his children even. On par with me and I’m 29. With the wisdom of age to boot. I’d vote for him in a heartbeat. And he’s 90.
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #1793 on: November 20, 2019, 11:53:43 PM »

What a mess!
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1794 on: November 20, 2019, 11:55:50 PM »

Oh man, I love this man! A truly presidential speech.

I hate Biden with a burning passion, but I have to admit, this is an amazing speech. The kind that would have The Star-Spangled Banner faintly playing over it.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1795 on: November 21, 2019, 12:15:05 AM »

Oh man, I love this man! A truly presidential speech.

I hate Biden with a burning passion, but I have to admit, this is an amazing speech. The kind that would have The Star-Spangled Banner faintly playing over it.

Agreed. Biden is great on interviews and in speeches. He's just naturally terrible at presidential debates, imo.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1796 on: November 21, 2019, 04:55:18 AM »

Trump will badly damage Biden in the debates though.

1994 Crime Bill - Written by Biden, 1st Step act passed by Trump
Iraq War - Biden was the chief architect while Trump claims to oppose the war
NAFTA - Biden's support will damage him badly in the Mid-Western states.

Along with Biden's gaffes, he is the weakest candidate to go against Trump on a debate stage.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1797 on: November 21, 2019, 06:27:15 AM »

Biden wont make it to the GE because Warren and Buttigieg will stop him in the primary. No one has voted yet and we all assumed Biden was gonna win and Buttigieg and Warren can split states and stop Biden. Buttigieg can win IA and NH and Warren can win NV, MN and ME
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1798 on: November 21, 2019, 12:36:35 PM »

Along with Biden's gaffes, he is the weakest candidate to go against Trump on a debate stage.

Do you want to see how long the list will be, if we were to write-down how Biden (or any Dem candidate) can "damage" trump in the debates?
Hint .... it will be very, very long.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1799 on: November 21, 2019, 12:57:32 PM »

Do you want to see how long the list will be, if we were to write-down how Biden (or any Dem candidate) can "damage" trump in the debates?
Hint .... it will be very, very long.

That's exactly Trump's strength, though. People naturally value things less that are in greater quantity. Having one easily-memorable scandal that defines a campaign is much worse for a candidate than a lifetime of wrongdoing.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies