Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:20:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 78
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2  (Read 103589 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2019, 09:22:42 PM »
« edited: July 10, 2019, 11:45:38 AM by Virginiá »

Biden's basically pouring gasoline on himself. Does he even want to be President at this point?

This is the worst week of his campaign and it's only Wednesday.

-

Old thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=313625.0
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 09:29:27 PM »

Biden's basically pouring gasoline on himself. Does he even want to be President at this point?

The debates are gonna be lit AF
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 09:29:59 PM »

jeb bush 2.0?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 09:32:11 PM »

Biden is not going to drop this subject. Politico says his staff has repeatedly advised him not to mention Dixiecrats but he refuses and "there's only so much you can do."
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 09:32:12 PM »

He's honestly giving Jeb! a run for his money on being a gaffe spewer at this point
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 09:33:30 PM »

He's trying to be Trump. He saw Beto apologize for everything under the sun & go nowhere. He sees that Trump has never apologized for anything in his career (except on behalf of others) and is POTUS, gets rallies of 20,000 people, and raises $25 million in a single day. The fact of the matter is, we live in a society that punishes prosocial behavior and rewards antisocial behavior, so this is what the result is. The only difference is that I think Democrats are more rigid and unforgiving than their counterparts. That'll have no visible cost in the short term, but will end up reducing their coalition in the long run.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 09:33:53 PM »

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I don't think this will have much of an impact on his polling.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 09:47:48 PM »

Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 10:21:49 PM »

It also should be pointed out that the last competitive election Biden won on his own was back in 1972
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 10:30:14 PM »

None of this is going to matter, since it doesn't change that his supporters are 100% sure that he's the most "electable." I'm starting to think Biden really could win a la Trump, in that none of his gaffes hurt his poll numbers, and his supporters don't budge, while no other single Democrat manages to overtake him. Note that I'm not saying Biden is just like Trump, but it does say a lot about Democratic voters, and how much they're willing to shrug off without a second thought for the sake of *perceived* electability.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 10:58:51 PM »

No surprise Joe is going to say the first worst thing that comes to his mind, shrugs it off, and/or tells other people to pipe down. I'm questioning myself if he seriously wants to win the primary and/or general at this point. The sad part about it is that Democratic primary voters would probably still ignore this and his other gaffes/behaviors anyway.

I'm not going to talk about how dumb and tone-deaf his comments about the likes of Stennis, a former Senator of my state who I'm sure I'd begrudgingly vote for against Barbour if I were a voter at the time, are. It's been done to death already.

But what I will say is that Democratic voters, and other voters who are considering voting for the Democratic ticket next year, honestly deserve better than Joe Biden.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 11:04:15 PM »

I like Biden, I like his old school centrist style.

Yes, compromising with segregationist senators in the '70s and '80s was the way, although how sad it was. That was then, this is now.

America is still socially segregated today.

He could have paraphrased it better.

I still think Biden wins the 2020 nomination; if not it is Warren or a dark horse. Warren loses to Trump in the popular and Electoral, and then Democrats and the media will be crying and wailing.

Sad time for America.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 11:04:46 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2019, 11:08:33 PM by heatcharger »

The near iconoclasm of Joe Biden is awesome to watch. His first instinct is to fight rather than to grovel when increasingly Democrats are the opposite (though Bernie has/had this mindset too, which I like). Both the left and the liberal-left, who are supposedly adversaries but both act as representatives of the Democratic zeitgeist, have attempted to cancel Biden for the 20th time with the assist of the far-right as well as the media -- vultures who love to see Democratic politicians apologize. These will continue to fail because Biden is unlike the liberal weaklings (Booker, O'Rourke, etc.) they routinely roll over. Maybe those guys really do have principles they believe in, but they're too flimsy to defend them or their character. Besides, nobody really likes over-apologizers, except for the people who dislike you.

Maybe this makes Biden similar to Trump. So? Ironically, at the second debate in 2016 Trump said that "[Hillary] doesn't quit; she doesn't give up". Frankly, I feel this way about Trump. He's relentless and, no matter how laughably incoherent they are, he's always fighting for his beliefs. This also includes deflecting off attacks on his character, even when he has little ground to stand on. Still, who doesn't want that kind of person on their side?

This brings me to an interesting point of personal evolution. I was an Obama fanboy as a young lad -- I greatly admired his wit and savvy, and I still do. But honestly, I think there's something more endearing about Biden: he's a fighter. I think it was King on AAD who remarked that showing old clips of Biden is counterproductive because it shows him at his fiercest but also at his most charismatic. He is clearly less vivacious than he used to be, but he still shows signs of the same energy. It's appreciated.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 11:17:25 PM »

The near iconoclasm of Joe Biden is awesome to watch. His first instinct is to fight rather than to grovel when increasingly Democrats are the opposite (though Bernie has/had this mindset too, which I like). Both the left and the liberal-left, who are supposedly adversaries but both act as representatives of the Democratic zeitgeist, have attempted to cancel Biden for the 20th time with the assist of the far-right as well as the media -- vultures who love to see Democratic politicians apologize. These will continue to fail because Biden is unlike the liberal weaklings (Booker, O'Rourke, etc.) they routinely roll over. Maybe those guys really do have principles they believe in, but they're too flimsy to defend them or their character. Besides, nobody really likes over-apologizers, except for the people who dislike you.

Maybe this makes Biden similar to Trump. So? Ironically, at the second debate in 2016 Trump said that "[Hillary] doesn't quit; she doesn't give up". Frankly, I feel this way about Trump. He's relentless and, no matter how laughably incoherent they are, he's always fighting for his beliefs. This also includes deflecting off attacks on his character, even when he has little ground to stand on. Still, who doesn't want that kind of person on their side?

This brings me to an interesting point of personal evolution. I was an Obama fanboy as a young lad -- I greatly admired his wit and savvy, and I still do. But honestly, I think there's something more endearing about Biden: he's a fighter. I think it was King on AAD who remarked that showing old clips of Biden was counterproductive because it shows him at his fiercest but also his most charismatic state. He is clearly less vivacious than he used to, but he still shows signs of the same energy. It's appreciated.

Joe is a white guy, so he is able to get away with being combative. Obama, Booker etc, really can't get away with that. There is a real stereotype (aka the angry black man) that black pols get dealt with if they come off too prickly. It is likely the reason why Booker is running such a soft campaign.

But yeah, Biden giving the middle finger to his critics is endearing, especially since most of them are obnoxious. One of the most annoying things about liberals/leftie activists and pundits is that they have a bad habit of pushing their grievances on everyone else. They especially do this with minorities and women voters and pretend that they know best when it comes to what ticks them off.

Today, there have been so many activists/pundits on twitter (with blue check marks of course!) going on about how this would hurt Biden with black voters. 90% of them are white (and the other 10% are minorities with a white audience). None of them actually talk to black voters and make these stupid sweeping claims.

It is just so off-putting and frustrating.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 12:50:29 AM »

Beto now jumping in on this

Beto, after seeing his latest poll numbers:

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 01:19:38 AM »

There's a difference between being a "fighter" or standing up for what you believe in, and just being stubborn and never admitting fault or to being wrong about anything. Trump is very clearly the latter, since he doesn't consistently believe in anything other than how great he is (unless it's all a show to cover up self-esteem issues), whereas I think the best kind of leader is firm in their beliefs and doesn't back off easily, but also admits it when they are in the wrong or go against their values. If Biden wants to run on "compromise" and "meeting in the middle", that's his right, but refusing to admit to poor word choice isn't strength; it's stubbornness, plain and simple. It might not hurt his poll numbers, but that doesn't make it admirable, in my opinion.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 01:26:12 AM »

I'll say this now, and reiterate why Biden will never get my vote--nominating Biden, who vows to "work with Republicans" and continues to express his segregationist sympathies (that I don't think he's racist deep down in the sense Trump is makes this far worse) is nothing short of being on the verge of defeating your enemy in a war, and suddenly calling for peace talks and surrendering. He's nothing but the status quo with a different face and different party label.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 01:51:43 AM »

Biden.

Warren will not win a national election no matter how much the hard left hype her.

Biden, without a doubt. I like him, but I am a little uneasy about a 2020 run for some reason. I think I am still a little spurned by the stunning HRC defeat. A lot of his old stuff will be brought up for scrutiny by the younger voters and the hard left. It won't be HRC bad but it will be draining.

Just out of curiosity, what so heavily changed your perception over the last 2 years, considering you seemed to have been, at the very least, a soft Biden fan at the time?

Still waiting on that answer...
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 02:13:51 AM »

Biden.

Warren will not win a national election no matter how much the hard left hype her.

Biden, without a doubt. I like him, but I am a little uneasy about a 2020 run for some reason. I think I am still a little spurned by the stunning HRC defeat. A lot of his old stuff will be brought up for scrutiny by the younger voters and the hard left. It won't be HRC bad but it will be draining.

Just out of curiosity, what so heavily changed your perception over the last 2 years, considering you seemed to have been, at the very least, a soft Biden fan at the time?

Still waiting on that answer...
I missed your post because I entered the thread at the next page. Anyway- I was ignorant both in who I thought he was, what I thought Warren was capable of, and I’m really cringing at my use of the term “hard left”. I was a mildly informed voter with a myopic view of ideology fed to me by the mainstream media. Also working on the Stacey Abrams played a huge role in my feelings on how you win elections and what meaningful coalition building looks like. You will also find ignorant posts of me saying Stacey Abrams wasn’t viable in GA because she was a single black woman before I became a staunch advocate of hers. *shrugs* I regret nothing and I’m glad I know better now.
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 05:41:19 AM »

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 05:48:18 AM »

If Trump actually uses that strategy, he will lose and he will deserve it. You aren't going to convince any serious person that the Democratic Party is white supremacist, least of all super woke POC. If the GOP wants to go after POC votes, they should go after racist Asians, racist Hispanics, and respectability politics Blacks, those are people they can actually win. They can't win the type of POC who is overly concerned about racism. Complaining about white racism and too many Blacks in jail is also going to turn off white voters in the midwest.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 09:52:31 AM »

If Trump actually uses that strategy, he will lose and he will deserve it. You aren't going to convince any serious person that the Democratic Party is white supremacist, least of all super woke POC. If the GOP wants to go after POC votes, they should go after racist Asians, racist Hispanics, and respectability politics Blacks, those are people they can actually win. They can't win the type of POC who is overly concerned about racism. Complaining about white racism and too many Blacks in jail is also going to turn off white voters in the midwest.

It's not to win over any voters. It is to make people not turn out. That is his only chance.

And it won't turn off his owner voters. This is what micro-targeting is for. Wasserman lays it out very neatly.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 10:09:27 AM »

Biden has been doing terrible, he's not the guy. The sooner the Democrats realize this the better. He's not Obama and Obama can not bequeath him the Obama coalition. He will turn off young voters to not care and stay home because he's not offering anything new. I can beat Donald Trump is not enough we already saw this in 2016.
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 11:02:50 AM »

Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2019, 11:09:11 AM »

Biden certainly represents the past, but I see no evidence of him struggling or failing, at least not yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies