Canada General Discussion (2019-)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:34:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 ... 141
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 193228 times)
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3025 on: September 22, 2023, 07:28:29 PM »

Unless those homes are empty and unowned , then the government has no right whatsoever to do anything to them without the owner’s consent .

No one has proposed taking private property without the owner's consent. The only thing that is being proposed is a deregulation of zoning rules - you know, what free-market conservatives should support - to allow the owners of private property to build denser housing, or sell their property to a developer who wants to.

I'm happy that the Trudeau Liberals are finally waking up to this problem, and requiring municipalities to change their zoning regulations if they want federal funds for affordable housing.

It's also the best value for taxpayers. Continued low-density sprawl would require municipalities to maintain more miles of streets and utilities without an increase in the number of taxpayers, thus forcing each taxpayer to pay more. Densifying already developed land would allow the cost to be split among more taxpayers, reducing the property tax bill for everyone.

So, the most logical and proven solution is to keep the Greenbelt, and deregulate zoning, so that property tax bills in existing suburban municipalities can be lowered.

True, but it also requires a short term cost because it requires upgrading all the streets and utilities which has to be done before or, at the latest, along with the greater density.

I agree in the longer term it is a benefit, but there is a short term cost that many people may not realize so likely won't appreciate.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #3026 on: September 23, 2023, 08:31:53 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2023, 08:36:44 AM by oldtimer »

It's the largest lead for any party recorded in Canadian opinion polls since Jan.2004 (around the creation of the Canadian Conservative Party):
That would be wipeout for the Liberals.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #3027 on: September 23, 2023, 10:51:33 AM »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/politicians-government-react-hateful-video-1.6976302

Wonderful. This sort of hateful diaspora nonsense has no place in the countries being immigrated to.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3028 on: September 23, 2023, 11:13:23 AM »

It's the largest lead for any party recorded in Canadian opinion polls since Jan.2004 (around the creation of the Canadian Conservative Party):

The NDP government in an attempt to stop a conservative majority keep enabling larger and large potential majorities by propping up such an unpopular government.

oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #3029 on: September 23, 2023, 11:32:10 AM »

The NDP government in an attempt to stop a conservative majority keep enabling larger and large potential majorities by propping up such an unpopular government.

It's called the PASOK phenomenon.

Sometimes governments that stare at the abyss freeze in terror and inaction, and refuse to change course.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #3030 on: September 23, 2023, 12:38:38 PM »

The view of the Canadian electorate towards Trudeau is now roughly in line with that of this forum, lol.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #3031 on: September 23, 2023, 08:55:57 PM »

I wonder if there is any chance Trudeau uses this to overall smartly restrict Indian immigration to more manageable levels while having political cover. Seems like the smartest play and the right for Canada, and US citizens.

I disagree. Restricting Indian immigration would show the world that Canada is afraid of Modi. Canada needs to increase immigration from India, if anything. It sends a better message: “unlike India, Canada is a free nation”
lmao. Are you aware of the current immigration situatuon in Canada and its effect on the housing crisis and cost of living? The strip mall diploma mills?

The idea that immigrants are to blame for housing shortages is nonsensical. Housing shortages are evidence of insufficient supply, not too much demand. Building more housing would solve the problem. Secondly, the implication that a citizen is more deserving of housing than a citizen is xenophobic.

Any time someone is blaming “immigrants” for a societal ill, it’s a distraction from the actual causes.

Generally, population growth is a factor in house price increases. Other than the fact that it is basic supply and demand, there are also numerous studies that demonstrate that population growth contributes to increased housing prices. Just one example:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10835547.2002.12091069?casa_token=htm63ZUwrwYAAAAA:eXRLAbimBQTADBu6MQB3yuQZLhy4T0w_DTx79IaBEA8swEKNUeyVBt2WyO8CbYw9EiDTdB1_U1R5IQ

Housing is mainly a supply issue. With that said, building adequate supply takes much longer than bringing loads of people into the country. Canada's population growth is mainly a result of its high immigration rates, so reducing the annual immigration intake would reduce house prices.

Of course, I think in the long term, policymakers should focus on increasing supply, but high population growth while supply remains stagnant doesn't help.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3032 on: September 24, 2023, 12:30:18 AM »

https://apnews.com/article/zelenskyy-trudeau-canada-ukraine-parliament-b0f23d207592031cedb030292eb3ae01

Apologies for the photo but the text can't be copy pasted.
Can anyone tell me what the 1st Ukrainian Division is? Searching it on google gives me a Waffen SS unit called the 1st Galician. Did the Canadian parliament just salute a Waffen SS collaborator?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3033 on: September 24, 2023, 12:54:55 AM »

https://apnews.com/article/zelenskyy-trudeau-canada-ukraine-parliament-b0f23d207592031cedb030292eb3ae01

Can anyone tell me what the 1st Ukrainian Division is? Searching it on google gives me a Waffen SS unit called the 1st Galician. Did the Canadian parliament just salute a Waffen SS collaborator?

It's definitely being said in various online spaces that that's the case, yeah, which is disturbing and completely unacceptable if true. I haven't been able to find reliable sources spelling it out but it's a definite, and disquieting, possibility.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3034 on: September 24, 2023, 10:09:07 AM »

It's definitely being said in various online spaces that that's the case, yeah, which is disturbing and completely unacceptable if true. I haven't been able to find reliable sources spelling it out but it's a definite, and disquieting, possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwdQ2O5MlAg
Go to 48:00 minutes in the link
We have here in the chamber today, we have here a Ukrainians war veteran who fought for Ukrainian independence against the Russians at the age of 98
Everyone clapped.
Logical

« Reply #3035 on: September 24, 2023, 10:43:16 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2023, 10:48:11 AM by Logical »

It is indeed the very same Waffen SS division. Unfortunately Canada has a long history of whitewashing this stuff. Here's a quote from an article published in a reputable magazine.
But missing from the accolades in the Globe article and the CBC broadcast were the details about some of the Ukrainian “refugees” that Panchuk managed to convince the Canadian government to accept – 2,000 members of Adolf Hitler’s Waffen SS.

Panchuk was able to get members of the 14th Waffen SS Division Galicia into Canada by lying about their past.

Members of the unit had surrendered to Allied forces and were being held in a camp in Italy. In an attempt to hide the SS connection, the unit had changed its name in the last few days of the war to the First Division Ukrainian National Army.
http://espritdecorps.ca/history-feature/the-rcaf-officer-who-brought-hitlers-waffen-ss-to-canada
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #3036 on: September 24, 2023, 03:07:53 PM »

We have here in the chamber today, we have here a Ukrainians war veteran who fought for Ukrainian independence against the Russians at the age of 98
Everyone clapped.

When I read an article about Zelensky's speech, I thought I misread when I saw "WWII veteran who fought against the Russians" but I guess not. I know there's some degree of "enemy of my enemy" going on here, both in a WWII context and a modern one, but this is a really bad look. I might be getting overly paranoid but I think this little detail is getting conveniently left out from some media coverage...
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3037 on: September 24, 2023, 03:40:17 PM »

Everyone clapped.

When I read an article about Zelensky's speech, I thought I misread when I saw "WWII veteran who fought against the Russians" but I guess not. I know there's some degree of "enemy of my enemy" going on here, both in a WWII context and a modern one, but this is a really bad look. I might be getting overly paranoid but I think this little detail is getting conveniently left out from some media coverage...

OTOH this isn't new: The Ukrainian diaspora in Canada has always been happy to remember the legacy of Ukrainians with problematic histories. Every few years there's a story of a monument being defaced cause of who it commemorates.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3038 on: September 24, 2023, 03:40:20 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2023, 03:49:52 PM by lfromnj »

I do wonder if the Indian media picks up on this. The line would be that Canada honors radicals from around the globe such as Khalistanis and Ukrainian Nazis. Pretty easy propaganda to use .(OTOH India likes Bose a lot )
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #3039 on: September 24, 2023, 03:49:00 PM »

I do wonder if the Indian media picks up on this. The line would be that Canada honors radicals from around the globe such as Khalistanis and Ukrainians Nazis. Pretty easy propaganda to use .(OTOH India likes Bose a lot )
Yeah, India of all countries would be throwing stones from a glass house, but that's how international affairs works and it certainly won't stop them.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3040 on: September 24, 2023, 03:57:11 PM »

I do wonder if the Indian media picks up on this. The line would be that Canada honors radicals from around the globe such as Khalistanis and Ukrainian Nazis. Pretty easy propaganda to use .(OTOH India likes Bose a lot )
Fun fact: the Indian army still uses Qadam Qadam Badhaye Ja as one of two primary marches, which was first used by Bose's Indian National Army which fought alongside the Imperial Japanese.
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #3041 on: September 24, 2023, 04:06:05 PM »

Everyone clapped.

OTOH this isn't new: The Ukrainian diaspora in Canada has always been happy to remember the legacy of Ukrainians with problematic histories. Every few years there's a story of a monument being defaced cause of who it commemorates.

I should have clarified that it seems absent from CBC coverage, which is probably par for the course.  I hope the way this is handled is by really taking inventory of what associations this guy may have had with the SS while also providing appropriate historical context, and asking for admission of a mistake where necessary.

Bingo, from the first page of a google search for Yaroslav Hunka: https://www.opindia.com/2023/09/canada-house-of-commons-gave-a-standing-ovation-to-a-member-of-a-nazi-ss-unit/
Logical

« Reply #3042 on: September 24, 2023, 04:15:23 PM »

The Speaker takes the blame
Cashew
United States

« Reply #3043 on: September 24, 2023, 06:43:48 PM »

"Accept full responsibility"? Well how about this for a thought experiment, if a conservative member of parliament was caught honoring a domestic Nazi would Mr. Rota consider a token apology enough?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3044 on: September 24, 2023, 06:46:43 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2023, 06:56:28 PM by lfromnj »

"Accept full responsibility"? Well how about this for a thought experiment, if a conservative member of parliament was caught honoring a domestic Nazi would Mr. Rota consider a token apology enough?

The Cons were honoring him as well. The description of fighting against the Russians in WW2 should have been enough for anyone to take a pause.  Zelensky could be forgiven by cultural/translation stuff but everyone else is guilty .
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3045 on: September 24, 2023, 06:50:50 PM »

The Cons were honoring him as well. The description of fighting against the Russians in WW2 should have been enough for anyone to take a pause.
At least since all parties have their hands dirty in this fiasco, none of them can make much hay about it against others.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #3046 on: September 24, 2023, 06:56:59 PM »

The Cons were honoring him as well. The description of fighting against the Russians in WW2 should have been enough for anyone to take a pause.

Yep I am aware which is why I added domestic Nazi, as practically all of them will exuse anything when geopolitics in involved, whereas a more typical story of "conservative legislator supports far right figure" is the kind of thing that ends with resignation, deplatforming, cancelation... Etc which Liberal leadership will certainly not apply to thenselves.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #3047 on: September 25, 2023, 01:55:10 AM »

Well, OBVIOUSLY.

This is just in the same week India called them a safeheaven for terrorists and extremists lol. Then in the next day they all, Trudeau included, receive and applaud an actual WW2-era 98 year old Nazi for the sake of solidarity with Ukraine.

Like, most people won’t even get what India was referring to with those accusations so it was just an attack line bound to be forgotten, but to immediately follow this up with this situation will actually enforce this reputation in people’s minds lol

If I was Indian official I would be masturbating with the free propaganda being given that “proves” them right. More power to Modi, awful week to be Canadian.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3048 on: September 25, 2023, 04:17:25 AM »

Is Trudeau really going to contest the next election if he's facing a loss? Like Jacinda Ardern or his own father, he can leave with his head held high and let someone else face the electorate.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #3049 on: September 25, 2023, 04:20:05 AM »

Yep I am aware which is why I added domestic Nazi, as practically all of them will exuse anything when geopolitics in involved, whereas a more typical story of "conservative legislator supports far right figure" is the kind of thing that ends with resignation, deplatforming, cancelation... Etc which Liberal leadership will certainly not apply to thenselves.

The term "Nazi" has been overused online to an absolutely criminal extent, so lets be absolutely clear about what we're talking about here.

This guy is not a "far right figure". He didn't make anti-semitic comments online or advocate for the AfD. He volunteered to join the LITERAL WAFFEN SS, pledging his eternal allegiance to LITERALLY ADOLF MFING HITLER. When the real Canadian heroes stormed Juno Beach it was this "Canadian hero's" outfit that systematically tortured and executed Canadian prisoners. Thanks to Himmler's brave "anti-Russian freedom fighters" my great-grandmother's village is famous not for delicious watermelons but for being the site where over ten thousand innocents were liquidated by the Einsatzgruppen.

The 14th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS, euphemistically referred to by the Speaker as the "First Ukrainian Division",

This guy is a literal war criminal. I can't believe this needs to be said explicitly but this is in a completely different category from some hyperbolic bozos in the European Parliament. The only possible way he could have been less deserving of a commendation from Parliament is if he moonlit as a Death Camp guard or was part of an exchange program with Unit 731.

Frankly this whole sh**tshow is a fantastic argument for the existence of God, because it must have taken divine intervention for the last 98 year old Waffen SS vet left in Canada to somehow come to the attention of the Speaker of the House and pass through however many interns to get him on the floor next to Zelensky receiving a unanimous standing ovation. Surely God must have clouded the MPs judgement for not a single one to think back to high school history class about who "fought the Russians in WW2"

Putin is surely thanking Rota for producing the best piece of propaganda imaginable for him completely free of charge. The Polish ambassador is already demanding an apology:

Obviously Rota should resign. In a sane world Trudeau and Freeland would resign too but clearly that's never going to happen.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 ... 141  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies