Canada General Discussion (2019-)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 06:22:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 128 ... 141
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 194693 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3050 on: September 25, 2023, 06:24:32 AM »

Is Trudeau really going to contest the next election if he's facing a loss? Like Jacinda Ardern or his own father, he can leave with his head held high and let someone else face the electorate.

He seems the type who still thinks he can turn things around.

With JA it was IMO being genuinely exhausted and burnt out, rather than fearing electoral defeat.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3051 on: September 25, 2023, 06:35:01 AM »

Is Trudeau really going to contest the next election if he's facing a loss? Like Jacinda Ardern or his own father, he can leave with his head held high and let someone else face the electorate.

He seems the type who still thinks he can turn things around.

With JA it was IMO being genuinely exhausted and burnt out, rather than fearing electoral defeat.
Trudeau Sr. held on until he lost office in 1979, was willing to retract a political retirement, and remain in office for an additional four years after retaking power...
Perhaps the apple does not fall too far from the tree there...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3052 on: September 25, 2023, 10:07:20 AM »

When I watched the news on Friday, to see how the Zelenskyy visit was going, I saw the standing ovation for a guy who fought the Russians in World War II and I was like.. wait a second here... Needless to say I wasn't surprised this became an issue.  I wish I said something on Friday.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #3053 on: September 25, 2023, 10:27:23 AM »

"Accept full responsibility"? Well how about this for a thought experiment, if a conservative member of parliament was caught honoring a domestic Nazi would Mr. Rota consider a token apology enough?

The Cons were honoring him as well. The description of fighting against the Russians in WW2 should have been enough for anyone to take a pause.

Yep I am aware which is why I added domestic Nazi, as practically all of them will exuse anything when geopolitics in involved, whereas a more typical story of "conservative legislator supports far right figure" is the kind of thing that ends with resignation, deplatforming, cancelation... Etc which Liberal leadership will certainly not apply to thenselves.

The term "Nazi" has been overused online to an absolutely criminal extent, so lets be absolutely clear about what we're talking about here.

This guy is not a "far right figure". He didn't make anti-semitic comments online or advocate for the AfD. He volunteered to join the LITERAL WAFFEN SS, pledging his eternal allegiance to LITERALLY ADOLF MFING HITLER. When the real Canadian heroes stormed Juno Beach it was this "Canadian hero's" outfit that systematically tortured and executed Canadian prisoners. Thanks to Himmler's brave "anti-Russian freedom fighters" my great-grandmother's village is famous not for delicious watermelons but for being the site where over ten thousand innocents were liquidated by the Einsatzgruppen.

The 14th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS, euphemistically referred to by the Speaker as the "First Ukrainian Division",

This guy is a literal war criminal. I can't believe this needs to be said explicitly but this is in a completely different category from some hyperbolic bozos in the European Parliament. The only possible way he could have been less deserving of a commendation from Parliament is if he moonlit as a Death Camp guard or was part of an exchange program with Unit 731.

Frankly this whole sh**tshow is a fantastic argument for the existence of God, because it must have taken divine intervention for the last 98 year old Waffen SS vet left in Canada to somehow come to the attention of the Speaker of the House and pass through however many interns to get him on the floor next to Zelensky receiving a unanimous standing ovation. Surely God must have clouded the MPs judgement for not a single one to think back to high school history class about who "fought the Russians in WW2"

Putin is surely thanking Rota for producing the best piece of propaganda imaginable for him completely free of charge. The Polish ambassador is already demanding an apology:

Obviously Rota should resign. In a sane world Trudeau and Freeland would resign too but clearly that's never going to happen.

Lmao, people are just dumb as hell with no knowledge of history. They adapt their interpretation of old historical facts based on their own present goals and bias.

They saw an Ukrainian in Canada whose brand was ~fighting Russians in WW2~ and thought: Wow what an inspiring trailblazer! Let’s use this guy to make a speech in congress to give strength to Zelensky’s pitch for more money and weapons in congress.

And that’s the MOST POSITIVE interpretation you can have of the situation, that Canadian politicians are only brainless ignorant robots in their simping for Ukraine, because the alternative is them actually knowing history and SUPPORTING what this Hitler follower stands for. Which I want to hope it isn’t true, but I cannot say for sure anymore.

Anyone who frequented ONE WW2 lesson in school will know that:

- US, UK, France and Soviet Union (Russia) were the Allies
- Germany, Italy and Japan were the Axis

So whoever was fighting against Russia (the Soviets) in WW2 was part of which group? Ding ding ding! Someone needs to give Canadian politicians a history lesson because it’s mind-blowing that they all automatically interpreted “Fighting Russia in WW2” as a great or inspiring thing lmaaaao at the cringe.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3054 on: September 25, 2023, 10:41:43 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2023, 11:00:45 PM by Benjamin Frank »

I think we might need to know more about what this person did and when they did it.

Let's not forget that:
1.The Soviet Union was an ally of Nazi Germany from 1939-1941 who assisted the Nazis in taking over Poland and conducted the Katyn Massacre of Poles.

Had Stalin/the Soviet Union not signed the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact, it's possible there never would have been a World War II.

2.The Soviet Union attacked the independent nation of Finland

3.Russia/the Soviet Union retook Ukraine after the Russian Revolution from an independent government and Ukraine has never thought of itself as part of the historic Russian empire.

It's not unusual for people/governments to think of 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' as shortsighted as that is, and many Ukrainians initially welcomed the Nazis due to the murderous evil of Soviet leader Stalin.

The stuff here about 'these were the Allies' and 'these were the Axis' is not only overly simplistic but is not entirely accurate either as the Soviet Union was neutral if not part of the Axis until attacked by the Nazis.

I have no sympathy for a guy who fought with the Nazis especially if they took part in any murder of civilians, and the Speaker has apologized, but this situation for Ukrainians (and Finns) is more nuanced than what has been presented here so far, and truth is still the first casualty in war.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3055 on: September 25, 2023, 12:09:32 PM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3056 on: September 25, 2023, 12:23:44 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2023, 04:59:08 PM by lfromnj »

Also I can maybe buy most of Parliament being dumb but I can't buy Freeland's ignorance. Her grandfather was a fellow Nazi collaborator and she spent her college years in Ukraine studying WW2 history . She certainly was paying attention to this as well .
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3057 on: September 25, 2023, 12:32:59 PM »

Yaroslav Hunka now has a Wikipedia page, so you can find out more about him there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaroslav_Hunka
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3058 on: September 25, 2023, 04:21:58 PM »

A reminder that the Speaker is mostly independent there, it's not an US style-Speaker, so it is not an efficient attack on Trudeau and the Liberals.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3059 on: September 25, 2023, 04:48:42 PM »

The Bloc and the NDP have called on Speaker Rota to resign. The Conservatives are predictably slamming the Liberals, but Andrew Scheer (remember him?) stopped short of actually calling for the resignation.

I think the chance that Trudeau will take a walk in the snow (leaves?) has gone up a lot. Last week, John Manley called for Trudeau to step down, and he would only say that on behalf of some senior Liberals. And that was before this weekend.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #3060 on: September 25, 2023, 06:10:43 PM »

Trying to whatabout Nazi atrocities with "muh Dresden" is a sure sign of imbecility.
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #3061 on: September 25, 2023, 06:17:12 PM »

I have been unable to find exit poll data on how Canadian Jews typically vote.

How do Canadian Jews typically vote? If they vote for Conservatives typically, this might not make much a difference. If they vote for Liberals, however, this could persuade enough Canadian Jews to flip key seats across the country, especially if the 2025 Canadian Election is close.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3062 on: September 25, 2023, 06:28:41 PM »

The Harper Conservatives made big inroads among Orthodox Jews, who previously had a low voter turnout. An interesting pattern in the GTA is that the Jewish community was clustered along Bathurst Street, and the more this community became upwardly mobile, the more it migrated northwards along Bathurst Street. These turned a few seats in North York and the York Region into play. The Jewish community in Montreal (anecdotally) became smaller but more Orthodox with the rise of Quebec nationalism. You can spot where they are clustered based on poll-by-poll maps, but they are too small to affect any seats.

Most non-Orthodox Jewish Canadians behave as one would expect: middle to upper middle class, with a somewhat socially liberal bent. They would be "naturally" Liberal-leaning voters, but could turn Conservative if the conditions are there.

But, anyway, I think the mood has shifted enough that Trudeau can be compared to the famous lettuce.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3063 on: September 25, 2023, 06:35:57 PM »

The Harper Conservatives made big inroads among Orthodox Jews, who previously had a low voter turnout. An interesting pattern in the GTA is that the Jewish community was clustered along Bathurst Street, and the more this community became upwardly mobile, the more it migrated northwards along Bathurst Street. These turned a few seats in North York and the York Region into play. The Jewish community in Montreal (anecdotally) became smaller but more Orthodox with the rise of Quebec nationalism. You can spot where they are clustered based on poll-by-poll maps, but they are too small to affect any seats.

Most non-Orthodox Jewish Canadians behave as one would expect: middle to upper middle class, with a somewhat socially liberal bent. They would be "naturally" Liberal-leaning voters, but could turn Conservative if the conditions are there.

But, anyway, I think the mood has shifted enough that Trudeau can be compared to the famous lettuce.

If Rota resigns what are the odds it flips in a by election? Seems like a fairly swingy liberal leaning seat.
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #3064 on: September 25, 2023, 06:39:01 PM »

I mean Canada just isnt a serious country. Hilarious as I was an employee of the feds from 2020 to 2021 summer. Throughout this turd's tenure we have in essence gotten along with literally no country. Trump admin: granted this was a tough fight for the turd but he managed to atleast not fking remove nafta/free trade. The india relationship is gone, the china situation is even worse because everyones all outraged about this alleged killing, china actually has their own police stations in multiple cdn cities. That dumb moron freeland got us into an necessary fight with the saudis back in 2018. No ally of canada's trusts it. Biden and sunak and the aussi guy told em to basically take a hike we aint sacrificing our partnerships for a country that can't hit 2% of its gdp on defense willingly despite being a "rich nation". The military fights with jets from the 80s the only time you even hear about it, is when theres a sexual assault scandal or a natural disaster recovery. Finally the most recent fk up, they either were too incompetent not to vet the guy or more likely did vet him and didnt care. the nazi was a member of the speakers riding and its unimaginable that the rcmp and parliamentary policy agency didn't vet this guy just lol worthy. Its gonna take atleast 15 years for canada to recover from the trudeau debacle on just foriegn policy. Domestically they are even more screwed.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3065 on: September 25, 2023, 06:51:47 PM »

I mean Canada just isnt a serious country. Hilarious as I was an employee of the feds from 2020 to 2021 summer. Throughout this turd's tenure we have in essence gotten along with literally no country. Trump admin: granted this was a tough fight for the turd but he managed to atleast not fking remove nafta/free trade. The india relationship is gone, the china situation is even worse because everyones all outraged about this alleged killing, china actually has their own police stations in multiple cdn cities. That dumb moron freeland got us into an necessary fight with the saudis back in 2018. No ally of canada's trusts it. Biden and sunak and the aussi guy told em to basically take a hike we aint sacrificing our partnerships for a country that can't hit 2% of its gdp on defense willingly despite being a "rich nation". The military fights with jets from the 80s the only time you even hear about it, is when theres a sexual assault scandal or a natural disaster recovery. Finally the most recent fk up, they either were too incompetent not to vet the guy or more likely did vet him and didnt care. the nazi was a member of the speakers riding and its unimaginable that the rcmp and parliamentary policy agency didn't vet this guy just lol worthy. Its gonna take atleast 15 years for canada to recover from the trudeau debacle on just foriegn policy. Domestically they are even more screwed.

This just happened too

harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #3066 on: September 25, 2023, 06:57:25 PM »

you know at some point despite all the ranting I'm just profoundly embarassed seeing my country go down the tubes like this. random nations calling canada a terror state, gaffe after gaffe, housing broken, jobs being shed, productivity falling year over year, business investment has fled after 2017, its just so sad, just terribly sad seeing this once great nation on its knees.

Canada is the country which founded insulin, sacrificed more men in ww1 and ww2 then the americans, liberated the netherlands, used to have innovative companies come out of there like Blackberry, Nortel, used to have more of its citizens connected to the internet than usa(2001 canada), withstood the 2008 recession better than the americans, cad was rising, oil wealth was giving us budget surpluses, our PM's used to fking stand for stuff and the important stuff: harper told putin to eat sh*t and get out of ukraine and kicked him out of the G8. Mulroney stood against apartheid in south africa.

Now whats the contribution canada makes to global events? Trudeau himself said indigenous and gender inclusion and reconcilliation. mfer made more headlines for his plane stuck on the tarmac than anything of substance. How this great country is being made a laughing stock of the world is just unreal
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3067 on: September 25, 2023, 07:03:45 PM »

you know at some point despite all the ranting I'm just profoundly embarassed seeing my country go down the tubes like this. random nations calling canada a terror state, gaffe after gaffe, housing broken, jobs being shed, productivity falling year over year, business investment has fled after 2017, its just so sad, just terribly sad seeing this once great nation on its knees.

Canada is the country which founded insulin, sacrificed more men in ww1 and ww2 then the americans, liberated the netherlands, used to have innovative companies come out of there like Blackberry, Nortel, used to have more of its citizens connected to the internet than usa(2001 canada), withstood the 2008 recession better than the americans, cad was rising, oil wealth was giving us budget surpluses, our PM's used to fking stand for stuff and the important stuff: harper told putin to eat sh*t and get out of ukraine and kicked him out of the G8. Mulroney stood against apartheid in south africa.

Now whats the contribution canada makes to global events? Trudeau himself said indigenous and gender inclusion and reconcilliation. mfer made more headlines for his plane stuck on the tarmac than anything of substance. How this great country is being made a laughing stock of the world is just unreal

This is what happens when the liberals are effectively run by West Coast Democrats
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #3068 on: September 25, 2023, 07:07:38 PM »

This Canada vs India feud is the most hilarious and random thing ever.

Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #3069 on: September 25, 2023, 07:13:50 PM »

The Bloc and the NDP have called on Speaker Rota to resign. The Conservatives are predictably slamming the Liberals, but Andrew Scheer (remember him?) stopped short of actually calling for the resignation.

I think the chance that Trudeau will take a walk in the snow (leaves?) has gone up a lot. Last week, John Manley called for Trudeau to step down, and he would only say that on behalf of some senior Liberals. And that was before this weekend.

If Trudeau does end taking such a walk, and getting carted to the hospital with hypothermia, would that be...

...medical assistance in (political) death?
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3070 on: September 25, 2023, 08:20:28 PM »

How does this even happen?Huh

"Alright folks. Lets honor this 98 year old WW2 vet who bravely fought the Russians"

"Huh...fought Russians....wait a second...."
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3071 on: September 25, 2023, 09:43:12 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2023, 10:11:57 PM by Benjamin Frank »

In the 2022 Ontario provincial election, at least some of those on the right thought there were good Nazis, as they accused NDP leader Andrea Horwath of engaging in cancel culture/political correctness for booting out the mayor of Ajax as a candidate after she found out that he had expressed support to keep a street name after a Nazi navy captain (after previously voting for the name as mayor.)

Statement from NDP Leader Andrea Horwath regarding Steve Parish:

“I have decided that Steve Parish cannot be a candidate for the NDP.

The NDP’s vetting process gave us confidence that Mr. Parish does not hold antisemitic views. However, our party is committed to naming and correcting injustice, and vowing to do better — and as a candidate he has not met the mark.

Specifically, Mr. Parish has not denounced the decision to have a street named after a high-ranking German officer in the Second World War. Perhaps most importantly he has not demonstrated that he understands why that is harmful.

I want to thank the grassroots New Democrats, community members and Jewish leaders who took time to meet with me to discuss this issue. Their counsel has been invaluable in arriving at this decision.

https://www.durhamradionews.com/archives/150460

These were one of the replies to that story:
NDP is way too left of the centre and they forget this is a centrist population they are hoping to win over. Not happening any time soon.

As long as you keep focusing on extreme political correctness, you will be sitting in the opposition. Bye Bye Andrea.

There were many more comments in the National Post to that effect, including that 'Captain Hans Langsdorff was a hero who saved 100 lives by scuttling his ship and, though a German sailor, was not a Nazi.'

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3072 on: September 25, 2023, 10:17:02 PM »

Absolutely disgusting, and the false equivalencies and downplaying by Ben Frank in his quest to defend the Liberals really is something.

This is what happens when you open your arms to fascists and refuse to do self-reflection.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3073 on: September 25, 2023, 10:27:28 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2023, 10:38:57 PM by Benjamin Frank »

Absolutely disgusting, and the false equivalencies and downplaying by Ben Frank in his quest to defend the Liberals really is something.

This is what happens when you open your arms to fascists and refuse to do self-reflection.

1.It is not a false equivalency. It's not hard to find people all over the world, especially in the U.K, who think Hans Langsdorff should be honored for some reason. The only difference is that Langsorff did not have to choose between two evils, but there are many people who believe either that he was 'a good Nazi' or that he was a 'German navy officer, but not a Nazi.'  There are, of course, also similar false beliefs about Wernher Von Braun who was every bit a Nazi until turned into an American hero. Why did the Americans do that? Because he had no problem being an anti communist: 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend.'

2.The reality is the Soviets were neutral if not supporters of the Axis powers until the Soviet Union was attacked by the Nazis in 1941. For the people in nations like Poland and Finland and erstwhile nations like Ukraine, the reality is a lot more nuanced than the simplistic way it's being portrayed here.

It was the Soviet Union that committed the Katyn Massacre in Poland, and the Soviets also waited until the Nazis had suppressed the Warsaw Ghetto uprising before going into Waraw. Both Stalin and Hitler were pure evil and it's easy nearly 80 years after World War II and far away from the situation to say anybody caught between these two evils had easy choices.

I have not defended the government here, only that it will be useful to know more about this person before supporting easy grandstanding. I want more information until it's certain what this guy did, until then, I think there should be more attitude of 'there but for the grace of God, go I.' and less easy, sensationalist grandstanding.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3074 on: September 25, 2023, 10:33:33 PM »

Sad to see the virtue signaling Canadian Liberals go full Nazi.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 128 ... 141  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies