Canada General Discussion (2019-)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:01:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 141
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 193749 times)
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2075 on: February 14, 2022, 12:49:01 AM »

Considering how there are Freedom Convoys in a half dozen countries now a mod should probably merge the threads
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2076 on: February 14, 2022, 01:15:10 AM »

He's black so he can't be fascist.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2077 on: February 14, 2022, 01:21:46 AM »

https://twitter.com/brianlilley/status/1493069729124257793?cxt=HHwWgsC41cHAubgpAAAA

But according to leftists , Trump was a fascist for wanting to invoke the insurrection act to stop violent rioting in this nation.

When will we see MSNBC and CNN go on a moral outrage over this
It's an illegal occupation. He's a fascist if he does something about it and he's a cuck if he does nothing. No matter what, he loses. Considering that these losers have been terrorizing Ottawa for weeks now, perhaps a little bit of law and order is needed.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2078 on: February 14, 2022, 10:31:28 AM »

https://twitter.com/brianlilley/status/1493069729124257793?cxt=HHwWgsC41cHAubgpAAAA

But according to leftists , Trump was a fascist for wanting to invoke the insurrection act to stop violent rioting in this nation.

When will we see MSNBC and CNN go on a moral outrage over this

Trump is quite fashy anyway, though.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #2079 on: February 14, 2022, 10:39:50 AM »

Safe to say that Canada is a full out communist country now
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2080 on: February 14, 2022, 10:48:58 AM »

Pierre Trudeau dropped one of the most based political one-liners in history with "Just watch me". Waiting to see if Justin updates this for a new generation. "I'm about to yeet these trucks out of Ottawa".
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #2081 on: February 14, 2022, 10:50:18 AM »

Lol settle down there bud
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #2082 on: February 14, 2022, 10:51:13 AM »

Imagine if a conservative PM enacted the Emergency Act for the BLM protests.
laddicus finch

« Reply #2083 on: February 14, 2022, 11:01:47 AM »

If BLM protests were causing critical infrastructure blockades for over two weeks, I'd support that move too. In any case, "imagine if a Conservative did it" is not a good argument against the validity of public policy, even though your point is probably true.
laddicus finch

« Reply #2084 on: February 14, 2022, 11:02:52 AM »

Also, my response was to you saying "Canada is a full out communist country now" which is a level of hyperbole and overreaction worthy of ridicule.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #2085 on: February 14, 2022, 11:27:04 AM »

Also, my response was to you saying "Canada is a full out communist country now" which is a level of hyperbole and overreaction worthy of ridicule.

Is it though?  In the past 24 months we have seen:

- unprecedented regulations and restrictions imposed on businesses, resulting in many closures

- arbitrary travel restrictions which ban people from leaving or coming into the country

- government overreach, to the extent where they dictate who is allowed in your own house

- government surveillance through cell phones and smart TVs tracking travel and movements

- widespread coercion and cooperation through state and corporate run media to sell a narrative

- the opening of internment facilities for people entering the country

- mandates on vaccines to keep jobs, eat in restaurants, shopping at Walmart, and to go to school

- state legislated segregation, vaxxed vs unvaxxed, which private entities are told they must enforce

- government forced mandates on what you MUST wear in public (face coverings), much like burqas in Afghanistan or other oppressed Islamic countries, despite ZERO scientific backing

- and NOW enactment of the War Measures Act to quell largely peaceful protests that the government disagrees with, and has falsely labelled as a "white supremacy uprising" with support from MSM

If you don't see what's happening, you are ignorant.  Wake the hell up.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2086 on: February 14, 2022, 11:33:30 AM »

That would have been fine? If the BLM protestors were occupying a city or doing something to threaten the economy. I wouldn't have had any issue with that.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2087 on: February 14, 2022, 11:56:16 AM »

If BLM protests were causing critical infrastructure blockades for over two weeks, I'd support that move too. In any case, "imagine if a Conservative did it" is not a good argument against the validity of public policy, even though your point is probably true.

OTOH, the main rail link to the Maritimes was blockaded for several weeks shortly before the pandemic started, and I don't recall Mr. Trudeau intervening. It makes for some rather awkward comparisons. Perhaps the government does not consider my region essential.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2088 on: February 14, 2022, 12:09:54 PM »

That would have been fine? If the BLM protestors were occupying a city or doing something to threaten the economy. I wouldn't have had any issue with that.

For sure, like what they did in Seattle. BLM protests have never been particularly big or troublesome in Canada anyway. These occupier yahoos need to go though. I want my city back! 
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2089 on: February 14, 2022, 01:04:04 PM »

- unprecedented regulations and restrictions imposed on businesses, resulting in many closures

- arbitrary travel restrictions which ban people from leaving or coming into the country

- government overreach, to the extent where they dictate who is allowed in your own house

- government surveillance through cell phones and smart TVs tracking travel and movements

- widespread coercion and cooperation through state and corporate run media to sell a narrative

- mandates on vaccines to keep jobs, eat in restaurants, shopping at Walmart, and to go to school

- state legislated segregation, vaxxed vs unvaxxed, which private entities are told they must enforce

- government forced mandates on what you MUST wear in public (face coverings), much like burqas in Afghanistan or other oppressed Islamic countries, despite ZERO scientific backing

- and NOW enactment of the War Measures Act to quell largely peaceful protests that the government disagrees with, and has falsely labelled as a "white supremacy uprising" with support from MSM

LOL! Bruh. I've been watching Global News almost every night for the last week and they haven't mentioned white supremacy once. I also haven't seen Trudeau mention anything about white supremacists again and again. By the way, there is unrefutable proof that SOME of the demonstrators are white supremacists. Not that it would be fair to lump them all in together. But a lot of these people are certainly deplorable.

Also, if you don't understand government control needing to rise during a massive crisis, then I don't know what to tell you. Churchill had to take emergency measures and (comparatively) more totalitarian measures during World War 2 as well. Are you going to criticize him for attempting to install communism on the British isles?
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #2090 on: February 14, 2022, 01:27:47 PM »

Also, if you don't understand government control needing to rise during a massive crisis, then I don't know what to tell you. Churchill had to take emergency measures and (comparatively) more totalitarian measures during World War 2 as well. Are you going to criticize him for attempting to install communism on the British isles?

WW2 was a real emergency, these are a series of peaceful protests.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #2091 on: February 14, 2022, 01:50:16 PM »

Pierre Trudeau dropped one of the most based political one-liners in history with "Just watch me". Waiting to see if Justin updates this for a new generation.

"In the event that these illegal protests continue, I have resolved that my Cabinet will meet to discuss and determine whether to decide to increase our tone that these illegal protests must stop."
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2092 on: February 14, 2022, 01:53:50 PM »

WW2 was a real emergency, these are a series of peaceful protests.
I was referring to the pandemic, as you outlined a lot of pandemic stuff in your post.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #2093 on: February 14, 2022, 02:29:12 PM »

For sure, like what they did in Seattle. BLM protests have never been particularly big or troublesome in Canada anyway. These occupier yahoos need to go though. I want my city back! 

..In Seattle the protests were centered on a city park in a portion of the city that was for the most part shut down already due to Covid - Capitol Hill is an entertainment district with bars/restaurants/clubs/etc. At that time it was close to a ghost town. Meanwhile, in that case the protesters did things like spoken word and music concerts.. not quite the same as what's happening in Ottawa. Though, it did start to get violent at night, which is when the city chose to step in and clear everything out.

Protests and demonstrations are complicated and evolve over time. When they result in significant harm to a community it does make sense to intervene, the challenge probably comes from determining when they pass that threshold (ex: closing a major border for international trade seems like a big escalation when tens of thousands of jobs depend on it being open).
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #2094 on: February 14, 2022, 02:53:13 PM »

..In Seattle the protests were centered on a city park in a portion of the city that was for the most part shut down already due to Covid - Capitol Hill is an entertainment district with bars/restaurants/clubs/etc. At that time it was close to a ghost town. Meanwhile, in that case the protesters did things like spoken word and music concerts.. not quite the same as what's happening in Ottawa. Though, it did start to get violent at night, which is when the city chose to step in and clear everything out.

Well have we had any documented cases of deaths and rapes at the Ottawa protests yet?
laddicus finch

« Reply #2095 on: February 14, 2022, 04:13:38 PM »

Sigh.

Yes, the governments in Canada have enacted some heavy-handed, dare I say authoritarian policies in the past two years. No, I don't think they are all justified.

But that's not what communism is. The fundamental belief of communism is the abolition of private property and the nationalization/communalization of the means of production. That is not how Canada's economy works.

Authoritarian policies =/= communism, unless you think Augusto Pinochet was also a communist.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2096 on: February 14, 2022, 04:41:50 PM »

Well have we had any documented cases of deaths and rapes at the Ottawa protests yet?

The police just found guns, thousands of rounds of ammunition and bulletproof vests in trucks at the Coutts protest.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #2097 on: February 14, 2022, 05:00:17 PM »

Another nail in the coffin of Western moral superiority

laddicus finch

« Reply #2098 on: February 14, 2022, 05:29:08 PM »

Whether or not this is justified will be decided by courts, people who are much more versed in law than any of us here. My sense though is that Trudeau's pushing the limits of what's acceptable. The difference between this and the WMA being invoked by Trudeau Sr is that, as far as I know, no premier has asked for it, and while blockading key infrastructure like the Ambassador Bridge is not okay, police has been successful in pushing back non-violently and allowing the free flow of goods and people, and this is nowhere near October Crisis levels.

laddicus finch

« Reply #2099 on: February 14, 2022, 05:30:00 PM »

Jagmeet Singh criticizes the use of the Emergencies Act but says the NDP will support it.

Water is wet.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 141  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies