UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:43:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 ... 234
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 252719 times)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2350 on: October 30, 2022, 06:38:32 AM »

“yOuR dOoMiNg hAs gOnE iNtErnAtiOnAL”
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2351 on: October 30, 2022, 06:52:14 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2022, 09:36:55 AM by Torrain »

Local MP Roger Gale is visiting the Manston refugee site today, the location where Braverman broke the law via overcrowding, and created an environment that produced a diphtheria outbreak.

Gale wants the site to be restored to its prior role as an airfield (its a longstanding constituency thing apparently), so he’s not expected to pull any punches.

Diana Johnson, Chair of the Home Affairs Select Committee is also pushing to visit the site - sounds like she’s out for blood too.

Edit: Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick (close Sunak ally, reportedly appointed to 'babysit' Braverman as Home Sec) will visit the sites in Manston and Dover, on behalf of the government, to review the reports of overcrowding.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2352 on: October 30, 2022, 07:03:32 AM »

There have been two attempts to use a hotel in my area to house asylum seekers; both were cancelled in the face of local political opposition.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2353 on: October 30, 2022, 07:20:40 AM »

The more Tories try the hackneyed imitations of Australian refugee ““policy”” the more I’m convinced Lynton Crosby truly doesn’t understand British politics and has just got lucky copying Australian tactics.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2354 on: October 30, 2022, 08:02:48 AM »

His big UK success was 2015, when the Tories got lucky with the "Great Scots Scare" - without that it is doubtful they would have won an overall majority, at least.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2355 on: October 30, 2022, 08:38:23 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2022, 12:14:04 PM by Torrain »

There's been an incident at a migrant site in Dover Thanet:

AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2356 on: October 30, 2022, 09:07:23 AM »

His big UK success was 2015, when the Tories got lucky with the "Great Scots Scare" - without that it is doubtful they would have won an overall majority, at least.

And of course he then promptly got exposed with his disastrous 2017 campaign for May. Looking back the tactics were pure NSW politics. Where he cut his teeth after all.
And his protege and 2019 architect Isaac Levido is also an Aussie! (I know his country home town well lol). Though I doubt he’ll get a spot in the Lords or an AO given now quickly he outstayed his welcome.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #2357 on: October 30, 2022, 11:22:34 AM »

I think the fact that we think a 16 point lead is bad really shows where the Tories are RN
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2358 on: October 30, 2022, 11:41:20 AM »

I think the fact that we think a 16 point lead is bad really shows where the Tories are RN

imagine dooming over numbers that still give Labour a landslide majority of 112 lol
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2359 on: October 30, 2022, 11:58:00 AM »

imagine dooming over numbers that still give Labour a landslide majority of 112 lol

Given the voters who have moved, it would likely be a bigger number than that. 16pts would also be the largest PV margin since 1931.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #2360 on: October 30, 2022, 12:00:58 PM »

There's been an incident at a migrant site in Dover:

I don’t mean to sound pedantic, but the site is not in Dover, it’s 20 miles away in Thanet (not that you can expect news organisations to get details like this correct).
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2361 on: October 30, 2022, 12:12:06 PM »

I don’t mean to sound pedantic, but the site is not in Dover, it’s 20 miles away in Thanet (not that you can expect news organisations to get details like this correct).
Apologies - the event was originally reported as happening in Manston, then edited to read Dover, so that’s the change I made to the original post. From what I can see, it happened close to The Viaduct - which I thought was in the port of Dover?

It’s manifestly not my corner of the country, so happy to defer on that though…
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #2362 on: October 30, 2022, 12:47:01 PM »

Apologies - the event was originally reported as happening in Manston, then edited to read Dover, so that’s the change I made to the original post. From what I can see, it happened close to The Viaduct - which I thought was in the port of Dover?

It’s manifestly not my corner of the country, so happy to defer on that though…
I was attacking the BBC not you, and actually it seems you’re right anyways (the articles mentions he was angry about Manston migrant centre but the attack was in Dover itself) 😅
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2363 on: October 30, 2022, 03:03:07 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2022, 03:07:16 PM by Torrain »

New Work and Pensions Secretary Mel Stride is considering cutting maternity rights for working women. Which could be an uncomfortable political fight because the Johnson government explicitly changed the law to grant additional maternity leave rights for female government ministers last year.

For bonus points: which minister was the law explicitly amended to benefit?

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2364 on: October 31, 2022, 03:39:32 AM »

For anyone concerned about the polling, the polling got worse for the Tories in the weeks after the mini budget. Polling is still as bad as it was in mid October.

The shifts in the polls were either Tories to 'Don't Knows' or directly to Labour. Depending on whether a poster disregards don't knows or reallocates them (often back to the Tories) can impact the lead.

Reform (Brexit Party) have seen an odd little surge, perhaps on the back of the uncontested leadership contest or being 'true believers'.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2365 on: October 31, 2022, 06:45:10 AM »

Reform (Brexit Party) have seen an odd little surge, perhaps on the back of the uncontested leadership contest or being 'true believers'.

I am a little sceptical of Reform UK's polling.  They have nearly zero visibility and their track record in actual elections is either virtually non-existent (locals) or underwhelming (parliamentary by-elections).
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2366 on: October 31, 2022, 06:59:02 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2022, 07:16:35 AM by Torrain »

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2367 on: October 31, 2022, 07:16:55 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2022, 07:34:03 AM by Torrain »

The most revealing part of Braverman's letter to the Home Affairs Committee is the admission that "the Chief Whip had also notified the Prime Minister of this issue. This was not known to me until after these events."

Which implies that Braverman was not the one who raised the issue - as she claimed in her resignation letter - which now appears to include some rather blatant non-truths.

Full letter can be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1114666/311022_HASC_letter.pdf

Edit: It's one of those days: Rishi Sunak has full confidence in Suella Braverman, says the PM’s spokesman
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2368 on: October 31, 2022, 07:35:49 AM »

Given the voters who have moved, it would likely be a bigger number than that. 16pts would also be the largest PV margin since 1931.

it would indeed narrowly beat the record since then (1983)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2369 on: October 31, 2022, 08:17:41 AM »

I mean… that’s large. But for a popular vote margin that high? It’s nowhere near the Labour majority of 1997 and 2001

Considering they were double that just a WEEK ago. And they need a 9% win to get a majority….

Even if the number held it’d be irrelevant in the context of “historically large” because it would result in an underwhelming majority for such a popular vote margin because Labour has been emasculated in Scotland.

I am a little sceptical of Reform UK's polling.  They have nearly zero visibility and their track record in actual elections is either virtually non-existent (locals) or underwhelming (parliamentary by-elections).

They had a chance to be a force to be reckoned with in 2019. If they had stood in every contest in the country they could have done some real damage. Won 10-12 seats. Of course they also would’ve likely left the commons deadlocked between Remainers and Brexiteers but still
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2370 on: October 31, 2022, 08:22:06 AM »

None of them probably were SECRET. OFFICIAL- SENSITIVE perhaps.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #2371 on: October 31, 2022, 08:41:13 AM »

LMFAO.
Pink Panther

« Reply #2372 on: October 31, 2022, 09:38:22 AM »

LMFAO.
Assuming Sunak gets the ax as well(which I still doubt for right now, but anyways), what else does the Tories have? Mourdant? BoJo? Wallace? Jamie Wallis at this point?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2373 on: October 31, 2022, 09:44:11 AM »

Assuming Sunak gets the ax as well(which I still doubt for right now, but anyways), what else does the Tories have? Mourdant? BoJo? Wallace? Jamie Wallis at this point?

Seppuku
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2374 on: October 31, 2022, 10:38:06 AM »

Sounds like a few right wingers are blowing off steam because they aren’t happy about the cabinet reshuffle, nothing more.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 ... 234  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies