UK General Discussion: Rishecession (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:51:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 235992 times)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« on: September 05, 2022, 07:34:23 AM »

Also seems to have ruled out an early election...

Of course lol… she knows she’d get destroyed
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 07:35:05 AM »

BRING BACK BLAIR
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 10:01:47 AM »

Liz Truss is a dreadful person to lead the UK through a moment like this (or potential).

Major, Blair, Cameron … hell even May and Johnson would be better. And of course Starmer could be
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 09:48:10 AM »

It still confuses me how a second house works in a meaningful way in a parliamentary system.

If they have any sort of veto power at all it renders the government of the day useless.

With that said I think Browns plans to devolve THAT much are not a good idea. However I could get behind turning the upper house into a smaller house of regions that is elected every certain number of years - and it takes 70% to veto anything by the commons.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 09:50:33 AM »

Also, Truss is a disaster. Truly terrible.

I wonder if Non-right wing Scotland voters will get the message they need to vote Labour to end the Truss led Tories. Otherwise it would take a massive popular vote number to get any sort of decent majority.

MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 10:57:31 AM »

Also, Truss is a disaster. Truly terrible.

I wonder if Non-right wing Scotland voters will get the message they need to vote Labour to end the Truss led Tories. Otherwise it would take a massive popular vote number to get any sort of decent majority.

Why would they?

Why would they vote Labour? Because they want to get rid of the Tories?

MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 08:13:03 AM »

Unfortunately Hunt coming in as Chancellor and likely stabilizing of the markets will probably stem the bleeding for the Tories. Still think Labour are favorites but instead of Historic landslide (450+) or Blair landslide (400+) or Johnson victory (375+) - I think you’d see a modest victory with 330 seats or so. So much can change but that’s likely. The wasted worthless SNP votes really hurt Labour
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 09:50:44 AM »

This is a joke….

They should be forced to have a General election.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 04:12:58 PM »

I know the monarch is supposed to stay neutral but in a situstion like this it’s be nice if the King could nudge the government to call an election
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2022, 09:53:59 AM »

The Tories have almost been polling 40 points behind in the most recent poll. 1993 Canada redux seems possible

For the millionth time… if the election was today yes. It’s in 2 years.

Labour ceilling will be 350-360 once the election comes around
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022, 10:23:01 AM »

This could have been said in 1995 too. Not saying a Labour 1997-style landslide is a sure thing, but the huge damage inflicted on the Tory brand over the past few weeks is not going to go away immediately.

Labour led by any where from 15% to 35% (with the vast majority being over 20%) between 1995 and 1997. The final result was Labour +12.5… and that was with a political titan like Tony Blair.

Unfortunately the conservatives putting party before country is going to pay off for them (just like the GOP)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 11:02:54 AM »

This could have been said in 1995 too. Not saying a Labour 1997-style landslide is a sure thing, but the huge damage inflicted on the Tory brand over the past few weeks is not going to go away immediately.

Labour led by any where from 15% to 35% (with the vast majority being over 20%) between 1995 and 1997. The final result was Labour +12.5… and that was with a political titan like Tony Blair.

Unfortunately the conservatives putting party before country is going to pay off for them (just like the GOP)

Does this dooming get boring for you?

It’s not “dooming” it’s a reality.

You really DONT think the Tories will be in a better spot in 2 years? It’s hard to be a worse spot then they are now. So by default they will be in better shape. I’d still say Labour likely to win but not with a landslide
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 11:07:42 AM »

Guarantee this takes a big cut into Labour at the next GE.

Labour is favored but I’d say around 340-350 seats. Nowhere near the landslides
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 05:30:37 PM »

Guarantee this takes a big cut into Labour at the next GE.

Labour is favored but I’d say around 340-350 seats. Nowhere near the landslides

To be fair, isn't this including a lot of constituencies that will vote SNP or for some other third party?

Exactly.

389 is a dreadful result already. You’d think it would be at around 500 with what you’ve seen in the polls
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2022, 10:23:05 AM »

I think this is the first poll we've seen with fieldwork entirely after Sunak became PM:

Early days, but just six weeks ago that would have been astonishingly bad for the Tories.

At this rate they’ll win 100% of seats by the next general election lol

And so it begins…

Mark my words. Just like the GOP, putting party over country will pay off.

Quote me: BEST case scenario for Labour is 350 seats. And even that is a stretch

“mUh bUt wUt aBoUt gEorGiA!!”
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2022, 11:26:43 AM »

I think this is the first poll we've seen with fieldwork entirely after Sunak became PM:

Early days, but just six weeks ago that would have been astonishingly bad for the Tories.

At this rate they’ll win 100% of seats by the next general election lol

And so it begins…

Mark my words. Just like the GOP, putting party over country will pay off.

Quote me: BEST case scenario for Labour is 350 seats. And even that is a stretch

“mUh bUt wUt aBoUt gEorGiA!!”

a 28% lead is still far better than the Lead they held before Truss

Of course it is. But acting like a lead that ballooned in 3 weeks is going to last 2 years is silliness.

God forbid I say that out loud … the ultra tolerant crowd wouldn’t like it
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2022, 06:38:32 AM »

“yOuR dOoMiNg hAs gOnE iNtErnAtiOnAL”
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2022, 08:17:41 AM »

I think the fact that we think a 16 point lead is bad really shows where the Tories are RN

imagine dooming over numbers that still give Labour a landslide majority of 112 lol

I mean… that’s large. But for a popular vote margin that high? It’s nowhere near the Labour majority of 1997 and 2001

I think the fact that we think a 16 point lead is bad really shows where the Tories are RN

Considering they were double that just a WEEK ago. And they need a 9% win to get a majority….

imagine dooming over numbers that still give Labour a landslide majority of 112 lol

Given the voters who have moved, it would likely be a bigger number than that. 16pts would also be the largest PV margin since 1931.

Even if the number held it’d be irrelevant in the context of “historically large” because it would result in an underwhelming majority for such a popular vote margin because Labour has been emasculated in Scotland.

Reform (Brexit Party) have seen an odd little surge, perhaps on the back of the uncontested leadership contest or being 'true believers'.

I am a little sceptical of Reform UK's polling.  They have nearly zero visibility and their track record in actual elections is either virtually non-existent (locals) or underwhelming (parliamentary by-elections).

They had a chance to be a force to be reckoned with in 2019. If they had stood in every contest in the country they could have done some real damage. Won 10-12 seats. Of course they also would’ve likely left the commons deadlocked between Remainers and Brexiteers but still
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2022, 06:04:42 AM »

I haven’t seen a poll in a while does that mean Labour is slipping?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2023, 05:18:51 AM »

I’ve said all along this landslide talk was nonsense.

This is not a Blair like moment.

Especially with the baked in Tory advantage in the map with Scotland being SNP land now.

I’d say Labour a favorite for sure. But a Tory win more likely than a Labour landslide
(which is shocking when you look at what the Tories have done to the UK in recent years)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2023, 05:54:35 AM »

I really liked David Cameron tbh

This confuses me. I thought I had the British sound down pat but how someone not an MP can have this position…..
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2023, 09:39:47 AM »

Never say never…

Bluster - but fascinated by the thought of Levido and Crosby unironically advising this.

Either way, a clip that fans of the Who Governs Britain/Stop the Boats snap election strategy, like Braverman and Simon Clarke will seize on, when the Lords dig their heels in - as they will. 

I’ll say Never.

Unless the migrant issue being blocked shows a sharp change in the polls - no chance Sunak is gonna call an election that most polls show being historically bad (I think they are exaggerated and Labour could win around 340-350 but nothing close to Blair)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2023, 08:20:24 AM »

Another one - TechneUK have the Tories on 22%. Worth noting that 22% is the lowest Techne have every found for the Tories, and has only been reached on one other occasion - the direct aftermath of the mini-budget.

So this is shaping up to be even worse for them than 1997 if poll results hold by the time of the next election.  Rumor has it the Conservatives might suffer the fate of the old Liberal Party of a century ago or so, and simply cease to exist.  

I mean those numbers would produce what - 450 for Labour and 120 for the Tories?

I just can’t see this actually playing out. Labour likely to win? Sure. But I think with seat totals similar to 2005 (except the LD seat total in ‘05 will be split between LD & SNP).

You’ll see some lifelong blue wall - one nation tories come home, the LibDems aren’t as much of a force so you likely won’t see many LD/Con marginals go for the LibDems and also Labour doesn’t have a guaranteed 50+ seats in Scotland they can rely on.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2024, 08:20:14 AM »

Conspiracy theorists drive me crazy - they’re annoying. But it’s obvious there is some issue with her. Seeing that she was seen in a car with him tells me she isn’t having a medical issue - I think there may be issues with the relationship… what else could it be? If there is nothing going on then the way they’ve butchered the media on this is confounding.

On the political side…Sunak is selfish. He’s going to wait as long as possible - it’ll be in LATE fall.

It’ll be funny to see a British election and an American one at almost the same time
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies