UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:35:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 234
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 253379 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: October 07, 2022, 12:05:22 PM »

A) Burns statement on twitter is less "nicely worded lawyer approved boilerplate" more "passive aggressive digs clearly written from the heart/bottle".

B) Bournemouth West would be a dream by election for Starmer in this environment: it's a seat where Labour clearly underperform based on profile and - if polls are remotely accurate - would be won on an incredibly embarrassing swing in a seat where Labour has never won before.
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #851 on: October 07, 2022, 01:13:19 PM »

This absolute omnishambles cannot continue, otherwise thousands will needlessly die this winter.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #852 on: October 07, 2022, 01:20:19 PM »

More polling continues to put Labour above 50%:

Deltapoll:

51% Labour
26% Tories

Omnisis:

51% Labour
24% Tories

PeoplePolling:

52% Labour
20% Tories

Of the 16 polls released after the mini-budget fiasco, 9 of them have Labour at 50% or above.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #853 on: October 07, 2022, 02:04:11 PM »

How will this go down in the Red Wa..aahahahahahahahahaha oh my God how is any of this real?
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #854 on: October 07, 2022, 02:24:47 PM »

You would think these people are deliberately trying to throw the next election.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #855 on: October 07, 2022, 02:31:33 PM »

As funny as this is, it can't go on. Graham Brady and/or a handful of cabinet members need to pull the plug.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #856 on: October 07, 2022, 02:48:13 PM »

https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1578456156778872832
How will this go down in the Red Wa..aahahahahahahahahaha oh my God how is any of this real?

At this point, it’s almost like the cabinet are competing to see whose policy gets MPs like Johnny Mercer to resign the Conservative whip first…
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #857 on: October 07, 2022, 02:50:54 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2022, 02:58:53 PM by Torrain »

And, on cue, here’s Mercer:
I am unsure of this Government's determination to row back on all the advances we have made for looking after our veterans and those who serve. Cost of rail travel on Remembrance Day 'too great'?

Tell that to Frankie from my unit. He's currently fighting COVID and multiple infections as one of our most disabled war veterans from Afghan. Last night those at his bedside asked me for a late night voice message they could play him to keep him fighting...

Tell him the cost of a few rail fares is too high for those who sacrifice - still 14 years on. Without them there wouldn't be a f**king railway, a Nation or a Remembrance Day for that matter.

The original is linked here, but I’ve transcribed it to bleep the profanity for Atlas: https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnnyMercerUK/status/1578459660280963072
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #858 on: October 07, 2022, 03:30:35 PM »

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #859 on: October 07, 2022, 03:44:56 PM »

I am unsure of this Government's determination to row back on all the advances we have made for looking after our veterans and those who serve. Cost of rail travel on Remembrance Day 'too great'?

Tell that to Frankie from my unit. He's currently fighting COVID and multiple infections as one of our most disabled war veterans from Afghan. Last night those at his bedside asked me for a late night voice message they could play him to keep him fighting...

Tell him the cost of a few rail fares is too high for those who sacrifice - still 14 years on. Without them there wouldn't be a f**king railway, a Nation or a Remembrance Day for that matter.

The original is linked here, but I’ve transcribed it to bleep the profanity for Atlas: https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnnyMercerUK/status/1578459660280963072

The use of vulgarity in an official communication from a former Cabinet attendee strikes me as, uh, unusual (but called for!).
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #860 on: October 07, 2022, 03:50:41 PM »

Foreign florists? I see the Tory government is finally standing up to the true villains of this world - the Dutch!
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #861 on: October 07, 2022, 03:50:58 PM »

I have had enough. FFS, this is absolute basket-case stuff.
"Enemies of Growth"
The only thing keeping me sane is the fact that I love working for the NHS. Even that is being decimated on purpose.

I have always wanted to live/work in the USA for a few years. Nebraska/Kansas/Montana.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #862 on: October 07, 2022, 03:55:46 PM »

Foreign florists? I see the Tory government is finally standing up to the true villains of this world - the Dutch!
I knew I couldn't trust the Dutch! They like tulips too much for their own good!
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #863 on: October 07, 2022, 03:58:13 PM »

I knew I couldn't trust the Dutch! They like tulips too much for their own good!

No one who calls whipped cream "slagroom" with a straight face is welcome in my house.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #864 on: October 07, 2022, 04:17:49 PM »

You would think these people are deliberately trying to throw the next election.

The only sane conclusion at this point is that she's legitimately still a Lib Dem & is their ultimate anti-Tory sleeper agent.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #865 on: October 07, 2022, 04:31:31 PM »

No one who calls whipped cream "slagroom" with a straight face is welcome in my house.

That word sounds like it comes out of a leaked dossier on the next Tory sex scandal. Secret slagroom at party conference?
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #866 on: October 07, 2022, 04:38:02 PM »

The only sane conclusion at this point is that she's legitimately still a Lib Dem & is their ultimate anti-Tory sleeper agent.

I mean she killed Queen Elizabeth II so it's already clear.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #867 on: October 07, 2022, 04:38:50 PM »

Sleeper republican too since the Queen died days after meeting her.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #868 on: October 07, 2022, 04:53:18 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2022, 05:00:16 PM by Torrain »

The use of vulgarity in an official communication from a former Cabinet attendee strikes me as, uh, unusual (but called for!).
Have to agree, if ever there was a time/place for that kind of commentary, it’s here and now.

In terms of it being unusual, Mercer has always been a colourful figure, and this kind of approach/language is sort of his brand. See this interview:
https://www.politico.eu/podcast/cold-water-swimming-with-johnny-mercer-mp/amp/

It’s far from the most brash tweet sent by a Tory MP though - see 2016-era Ben Wallace vowing to castrate Michael Gove, and tagging a Sky News journalist.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #869 on: October 07, 2022, 04:58:07 PM »

I refuse to believe this as it implies a level of competence and strategic thought on the part of the LibDems that would be wholly out of character.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #870 on: October 07, 2022, 05:04:26 PM »

I refuse to believe this as it implies a level of competence and strategic thought on the part of the LibDems that would be wholly out of character.

She’s a sleeper from the Paddy Ashdown era
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #871 on: October 07, 2022, 05:40:02 PM »

That word sounds like it comes out of a leaked dossier on the next Tory sex scandal. Secret slagroom at party conference?

I hear the secret strip club in the basement of CCHQ is called "The Profumo Slagroom"
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #872 on: October 07, 2022, 05:43:55 PM »

I hear the secret strip club in the basement of CCHQ is called "The Profumo Slagroom"

Where Truss and Kwarteng practice at least three or four of the dozen or so meanings Wiktionary gives for the phrase "the English vice", I'm sure.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #873 on: October 07, 2022, 05:47:44 PM »

But they took me off the morphine well over a month ago, what's happening?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #874 on: October 07, 2022, 06:17:28 PM »

But they took me off the morphine well over a month ago, what's happening?

Man. I kinda wanted to joke about how a member of the Spice Girls getting dirt on a Tory MP and forcing a resignation or pivotal by-election feels more like the ending to a crap Channel 4 drama than real life. It’s just new levels of bizarre.

But I think it’s worth mentioning, in all seriousness, that Mel Brown was at the conference to give a speech about tackling domestic abuse (something she experienced herself), and imploring an end to inaction. If, during that endeavour, she was accosted and leered at/joked crassly at/etc by Burns, then it puts an even more ugly spin on this whole affair.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 234  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies