Israel-Gaza war (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 06:31:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war (search mode)
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 204602 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 07, 2023, 11:04:13 AM »

Hopefully we stay the hell out and don't give Israel a cent.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 11:11:03 AM »

Hopefully we give Israel , air support

Not our business, not our problem. They're always fighting.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 11:12:52 AM »

We can help Israel completely destroy Hamas

Who tf cares about Hamas? We have hungry people in America. We're not the world's police.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 11:16:52 AM »

Who tf cares about Hamas? We have hungry people in America. We're not the world's police.

Please don't go full BG-NY...

Why should be bother assisting Israel here? What good does it do? This isn't going isolationist, this is understanding that Israel is a pariah that does nothing for us.. Why is this our business? Please tell me.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 11:18:40 AM »

Please don't go full BG-NY...

Why should be bother assisting Israel here? What good does it do? This isn't going isolationist, this is understanding that Israel is a pariah that does nothing for us.. Why is this our business? Please tell me.

We should stand with Israel over Radical Islamists regardless of what other middle eastern nations think .

We should stay the hell out. Israel has also been weak in their Ukraine support.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 11:34:47 AM »

All of this is very sad, and also very unsurprising. This part of the world has been at war for thousands of years and I don't see that ending in the next thousand.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 11:42:34 AM »

All of this is very sad, and also very unsurprising. This part of the world has been at war for thousands of years and I don't see that ending in the next thousand.
Nihilistic nonsense with no grounding in fact.

Not our business either way. This isn't like Ukraine where one side is clearly ethical and wholly in the right. Israel has the right to counter attack, but they will of course take it too far and probably as Libertas so gleefully put it vaporize all of Gaza. Then more of the same next decade.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 12:50:59 PM »

I don't support u.s. involvement in this.

I also want the war to end. Too many innocent lives are ruined due to this conflict.

I... agree with DeadPrez. Strange times.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2023, 12:53:08 PM »

I don't support u.s. involvement in this.

I also want the war to end. Too many innocent lives are ruined due to this conflict.

I... agree with DeadPrez. Strange times.

Most people want the Israeli-Palestinian conflict to end.

But a lot of people support US involvement or at least US funding. Some of the takes in here are completely unhinged.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2023, 12:57:49 PM »

A fundamental and very disturbing question remains unanswered. How did Hamas achieve surprise against a security state possessing the most advanced intelligence gathering methods anywhere in the world? This was a very well planned operation involving thousands of fighters. And yet the IDF was caught completely unprepared, and were slow to response in the first few critical hours of the war. Was this failure systematic or did the man on the very top ignore some warnings?

Either Bibi got caught slipping, or he saw how badly Likud was doing in the polls and, well.. I believe Netanyahu is a genuinely evil man and I'll leave it at that.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2023, 01:19:04 PM »

Dumb move by Palestine but I’ll not shed fake tears for Israel considering all the history of this conflict either. That’s exactly what they were waiting and hoping for, some excuse to get into direct war without getting too bad of a PR in the West. Would honestly be wonderful if both sides could lose. We’re talking about an imperialist apartheid regime oppressing an Islamic theocracy that violates the human rights of minorities.

Naturally, the Western and White Imperialist countries will side with Israel because that’s who they identify with better and the Islamic Dictatorships will side with Palestine because it’s the one culturally closer to them as well.

Yeah, that's exactly what we expected from you. If only there was some unifying factory between Ukraine and Israel that would explain this at the moment.

Israeli support for Ukraine has been very tepid. Weren't they at one point floated as a neutral location for peace talks?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2023, 01:25:09 PM »

Dumb move by Palestine but I’ll not shed fake tears for Israel considering all the history of this conflict either. That’s exactly what they were waiting and hoping for, some excuse to get into direct war without getting too bad of a PR in the West. Would honestly be wonderful if both sides could lose. We’re talking about an imperialist apartheid regime oppressing an Islamic theocracy that violates the human rights of minorities.

Naturally, the Western and White Imperialist countries will side with Israel because that’s who they identify with better and the Islamic Dictatorships will side with Palestine because it’s the one culturally closer to them as well.

Yeah, that's exactly what we expected from you. If only there was some unifying factory between Ukraine and Israel that would explain this at the moment.

Israeli support for Ukraine has been very tepid. Weren't they at one point floated as a neutral location for peace talks?
Israel has been downright traitorous regarding Ukraine, but this should not be shocking, the Netanyahu government supports illegal invasions.

All the assistance, support and bailouts we give them and they still can't stand with Ukraine in perhaps the most obvious good vs. evil conflict since 1945. It's pathetic, and it's a big part of why I don't care to help them now.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2023, 01:55:31 PM »

LOL

What? I'm shocked. Jared Kushner told me this would never happen.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2023, 01:59:21 PM »

Terrified that this will accelerate existing right-wing, racist, trends in Israeli society. If Gantz had any guts he’d demand the removal of that thug Ben Gvir from the cabinet as a condition for a unity coalition.

This is just speeding up the inevitable. Look at polls of under 35s there. Israel will be a full on theocracy by 2035, just like their neighbors.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2023, 02:45:01 PM »

Worst case scenario for this war is that the larger Arab superpowers get involved. If it’s mostly Israel vs. Hamas Israel would win easily.

Let Israel and Iran destroy each other.

It's a win-win: two authoritarian states destroy one another.

No, what we should hope for is peaceful democratic revolution in both countries. There were rumblings of this in Iran over the past few years, but they seem to have mostly been crushed.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2023, 02:47:01 PM »

Worst case scenario for this war is that the larger Arab superpowers get involved. If it’s mostly Israel vs. Hamas Israel would win easily.

Let Israel and Iran destroy each other.

It's a win-win: two authoritarian states destroy one another.

Hell no, if Iran declares war on Israel then we should provide Israel with air support. Let's see how Iran would like to deal with the greatest military superpower the world has ever seen and especially the greatest air power the world has ever seen.

You sound like an 8 year old. This is pathetic.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2023, 02:53:30 PM »

Quite a few people suddenly comfortable with advocating for the elimination of another seven million Jews. Wish I could be surprised, but I'm not.

Either way, we all know how that ends and Israel certainly doesn't want it, but there it is.

A lot of people in here also seem to think Israeli lives are inherently more valuable than non Israeli lives.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2023, 06:55:39 PM »

The Brandenburg Gate in Berlin tonight.

Odd déjà vu... it used to be Blue-Yellow colour scheme back in February of 2022.

Ukraine War apparently is over. Zelensky is the biggest loser of this Israel conflict, not only it’s more recent, it’s a way more geopolitically strategic region for the Americans than Ukraine ever was close to be.

Imagine if China declares war with Taiwan too, clearly both Taiwan AND Israel will suck up most of the air inside the West as they’re considered more “important”.

Well, a third of our population is Evangelical, and they prioritize Israel over America. Are Evangelicals in Brazil just as obsessed?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2023, 07:01:37 PM »

Ukraine War apparently is over. Zelensky is the biggest loser of this Israel conflict, not only it’s more recent, it’s a way more geopolitically strategic region for the Americans than Ukraine ever was close to be.

Imagine if China declares war with Taiwan too, clearly both Taiwan AND Israel will suck up most of the air inside the West as they’re considered more “important”.

This is an idiotic thing to say.

Nah he's completely right. Israel Palestine takes up an inordinately huge amount of space in our news despite their small size. Ukraine is sadly old news and the media blob is probably ecstatic that there's a new war, and in a country a third of Americans worship to boot.

As a strong supporter of Ukraine I hate it.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2023, 10:38:47 PM »

and this is a member of Likud, not one of their even-more-extreme coalition partners

edit: I misread the tweet as saying he's in "Netanyahu's coalition" not his party, so my information is redundant

very alarming though that this dude isn't even from the most hawkish faction of Bibi's coalition

Alarming, but not the least bit surprising. My prediction of a theocracy taking hold by 2035 may be a conservative one.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2023, 11:37:18 PM »

Reports of rocket fire from Lebanon.

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2023, 12:00:27 AM »

At this point I really don't see why Mods aren't letting us have these discussions. If Likud is having this discussion then I think it is worth considering. I am a free speech absolutist, so I do have a much greater tolerance for this kind of stuff even in other fields, but given the circumstances I do think that in the coming days both Israel and certain Western factions may be considering/supporting options like this.

Are you actually out of your fücking mind? Why in Allah's name should genocide and ethnic cleansing EVER be considered an option?

1. I can't answer on the merits due to moderating policy for the latter. I will say for the former that genocide is always wrong because it takes innocent lives unnecessarily.

2. It should be discussed and freely debated because its going to be a major policy discussion in Israel and the West over the following days. Israel cannot allow Hamas to freely exist in the Gaza Strip after this, and it cannot afford to permanently occupy the Gaza Strip. That lives only one realistic option, as I believe many already recognize.

you think ethnic cleansing of the Gaza Strip is going to be a "major policy discussion in Israel and the West over the following days"??

You are literally a sociopath

It already is a major policy discussion in Israel.

Not that this forum should tolerate such a feral mentality of course. It's time the mods send him the MATTROSE route.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2023, 12:16:50 AM »

I have avoided this thread until now, but Haley/Ryan has forced me to jump in. I believe Israel should carry out an operation to destroy the infrastructure of Hamas in the Gaza Strip and eliminate them as a political and military force. This is what I believe to be a reasonable, albeit hawkish position. Haley/Ryan's call for ethnic cleansing is out of line, inappropriate, ghoulish, and if Israel engaged in ethnic cleansing, it would face global condemnation.

How does Israel do that? If they do it once they pop up again. Do you want Israel to occupy Gaza forever?
If that is what it takes, yes. Infinitely preferable to the scenario you outline. Israel is in a no-win position: they tried land for peace in Gaza and it clearly failed. This tragically suggests that some sort of indefinite occupation is probably the only acceptable outcome, unless they can manage to sufficiently bribe Egypt to foist Gaza off on them (which is not going to happen, it is pure wishful thinking).

That means hundreds of Israelis dead per year. There is not West Bank solution here because Gaza is so dense: Israel can't even just maintain troops at the edge of cities because Gaza is basically one urban conglameration.

I agree that Egypt won't voluntarily take them which is why Egypt can't be given a choice.

Are you suggesting invading or threatening to invade Egypt if they don't admit the entire Gazan population?

No, just literally moving people across the border. You don't need to go all the way to Cairo, just across the border as it already exists.

So an invasion.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2023, 12:40:14 PM »

Whats all the sympathy for the "women and children"  Israeli women fight too in the IDF and shouldn't be infantalized. If they are civilians they are civilians just like men can be civilians but don't specifically say women other than mentioning the horrific sexual crimes.

That bothers me as well. What makes women more worthy of release than men? This isn't the Titanic.

Let the kids out first.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2023, 12:44:01 PM »

Whats all the sympathy for the "women and children"  Israeli women fight too in the IDF and shouldn't be infantalized. If they are civilians they are civilians just like men can be civilians but don't specifically say women other than mentioning the horrific sexual crimes.

That bothers me as well. What makes women more worthy of release than men? This isn't the Titanic.

Let the kids out first.

I disagree. Women represent the possibility of future children and must be preserved at a higher priority than men and children (at least male ones.)

It takes a mommy and a daddy to make a baby.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies