MI-SEN 2024 Megathread - Meijer out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 03:00:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI-SEN 2024 Megathread - Meijer out
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26
Author Topic: MI-SEN 2024 Megathread - Meijer out  (Read 30673 times)
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: July 03, 2023, 10:57:28 AM »

I mean Slotkin isn't ideal from my perspective tbh, but I sincerely doubt she would be anything other than a normal Democrat in the Senate. We have lots of non-Manchinema incumbents like Warner, Carper, and Coons who I suspect she'd be better than. I think 2022 also made a lot of people forget that Michigan isn't a Safe D state, so a candidate like Slotkin who consistently wins a swing district is pretty valuable.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #326 on: July 03, 2023, 02:28:03 PM »

Edays are FUTURISTIC not the Present Trump has worse Approvals than Biden and the Docugate trial for Trump will be in the middle of a Prez Edays
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #327 on: July 03, 2023, 06:10:39 PM »

Hill Harper announcement imminent.

Democratic leaders hoped Elissa Slotkin would clear the field in the Senate primary in Michigan, giving the battle-tested candidate extra time and money to prepare for the general election. Instead, a handful of Democrats have already jumped into the race — and one more is likely on the way.

Actor Hill Harper is finalizing plans to launch his Senate campaign in the coming weeks. The Democrat is preparing for his kickoff event, according to a person close to Harper’s team. He has also shot his announcement video and ordered campaign T-shirts.

The Win Company, the Democratic firm that produced ads for now-Sen. John Fetterman in 2022, made Harper’s launch video, a second source told POLITICO.

Even though I doubt he wins the primary, I'd consider it a victory if his campaign is better than Dr. Oz's last cycle.
JMT

« Reply #328 on: July 10, 2023, 09:14:14 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #329 on: July 10, 2023, 09:21:49 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #330 on: July 10, 2023, 09:29:13 AM »

Ds aren't losing MI when we flipped the state legislature
kwabbit

« Reply #331 on: July 10, 2023, 01:22:41 PM »

Hill Harper running is kind of weird. He's not a direct carpetbagger, having lived in the state for 5 years, but one wonders why he initially moved to Detroit despite no previous connection. Was it a long term investment in his political future, or did he just do it to connect with the African American community of Detroit?
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #332 on: July 10, 2023, 01:51:59 PM »

So apparently Raphael Warnock met with Harper a week ago made him more confident after calls from congressional leaders telling him to not run.

Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #333 on: July 10, 2023, 02:00:24 PM »

I'm actually impressed with Harper's policy set and background after reading that Time piece. I'm not one of the progressives who is turned off by Slotkin, but I would be thrilled if Harper could win the primary and I'm intrigued to see if he can actually pull it off.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #334 on: July 10, 2023, 11:07:23 PM »

If you don't support Dr. Han, I can't support you.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #335 on: July 10, 2023, 11:23:15 PM »

Harper could cause trouble for Slotkin in Detroit among people who think the state is deserving a black senator, or just want a senator from their corner of the state
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #336 on: July 11, 2023, 12:36:46 AM »

Probably just me, but I think Slotkin should consider dropping out and running for reelection instead.

If Harper runs a progressive enough campaign, she will lose the primary, as black voters+progressives is enough to win the primary.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #337 on: July 11, 2023, 04:53:30 AM »

Let the primary play out
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #338 on: July 11, 2023, 04:59:40 AM »

Probably just me, but I think Slotkin should consider dropping out and running for reelection instead.

If Harper runs a progressive enough campaign, she will lose the primary, as black voters+progressives is enough to win the primary.

Not a chance.  He’ll be lucky to crack 10% in the primary.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #339 on: July 11, 2023, 05:08:07 AM »

Change my Endorsements
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #340 on: July 11, 2023, 09:02:32 AM »

Also I don't think many real life progressives have that much of an issue with Slotkin. Certainly not as much as ET does.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #341 on: July 11, 2023, 10:11:06 AM »

Also I don't think many real life progressives have that much of an issue with Slotkin. Certainly not as much as ET does.

Slotkin is basically the best recruit we could have gotten here and barring something wildly unexpected/unforeseeable, she should have the seat locked down at least until the next big realignment.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #342 on: July 11, 2023, 11:09:26 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2023, 11:27:17 AM by Virgin Einzige vs. Chad bronz »

Not a chance.  He’ll be lucky to crack 10% in the primary.
A point I've made before is there's this bizarre mindset that Democrats are just as obsessed with celebrity candidates as Republicans are when with the obvious exception of Al Franken, it's very difficult to come up with any examples of them nominating one. If we include professional athletes you could count Heath Shuler although that was now quite awhile ago, and currently Colin Allred, but he was nominated largely on his legal work and work with the Obama Administration instead of his sports career (he didn't even play for a team popular in the area he represents.) After that the only example I can think of is John Hall who played in some B-tier yacht rock band that was mildly popular in the 70s and served two terms as very generic D backbencher in the House from 2007-2011. I'm sure if you dug hard enough you could find something like a State Senator somewhere who was on a reality TV show like 15 years ago, but regardless the point is clear.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #343 on: July 11, 2023, 11:55:30 AM »

A point I've made before is there's this bizarre mindset that Democrats are just as obsessed with celebrity candidates as Republicans are when with the obvious exception of Al Franken, it's very difficult to come up with any examples of them nominating one. If we include professional athletes you could count Colin Allred, but he was nominated largely on his legal work and work with the Obama Administration instead of his sports career. After that the only example I can think of is John Hall who played in some B-tier yacht rock band that was mildly popular in the 70s and served two terms as very generic D backbencher in the House from 2007-2011.
I suspect this is because celebrities and entertainers are much more likely to be liberals/democrats, and are often vocal about politics and causes, but don't run for office, and a celebrity speaking out in support of a liberal cause is so common that people generally just ignore it (aside from the usual suspects like Tucker Carlson or Jesse Waters). Meanwhile because it's more rare for celebrities to be republicans/conservatives, they get more attention and support from their side, and thus encouragement to run for office.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #344 on: July 11, 2023, 01:23:54 PM »

Conserv thought they ended blk Senators once they Def Barnes and Beasley, no they didn't they lied about defund the police that's why we are getting so many blks in the races this time
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #345 on: July 11, 2023, 05:52:12 PM »

Just what they said in Michigan gubernatorial in 2018. Governor El-Sayed ended up doing an amazing job, amirite?

....oh wait.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #346 on: July 11, 2023, 07:42:01 PM »

A point I've made before is there's this bizarre mindset that Democrats are just as obsessed with celebrity candidates as Republicans are when with the obvious exception of Al Franken, it's very difficult to come up with any examples of them nominating one. If we include professional athletes you could count Colin Allred, but he was nominated largely on his legal work and work with the Obama Administration instead of his sports career. After that the only example I can think of is John Hall who played in some B-tier yacht rock band that was mildly popular in the 70s and served two terms as very generic D backbencher in the House from 2007-2011.
I suspect this is because celebrities and entertainers are much more likely to be liberals/democrats, and are often vocal about politics and causes, but don't run for office, and a celebrity speaking out in support of a liberal cause is so common that people generally just ignore it (aside from the usual suspects like Tucker Carlson or Jesse Waters). Meanwhile because it's more rare for celebrities to be republicans/conservatives, they get more attention and support from their side, and thus encouragement to run for office.

I don’t think you’re wrong, but I think it has more to do with democrats wanted political experience more then republicans. For example 9 republican senators have no prior elected office with four having no kind of politcal or government experience. Only five democrats have no elected experience and of those only 1 has no political or government experience, maybe two depending on how you count Kelly. Even Franken was deeply connected in politics before his senate career.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #347 on: July 11, 2023, 08:25:31 PM »

A point I've made before is there's this bizarre mindset that Democrats are just as obsessed with celebrity candidates as Republicans are when with the obvious exception of Al Franken, it's very difficult to come up with any examples of them nominating one. If we include professional athletes you could count Heath Shuler although that was now quite awhile ago, and currently Colin Allred, but he was nominated largely on his legal work and work with the Obama Administration instead of his sports career (he didn't even play for a team popular in the area he represents.) After that the only example I can think of is John Hall who played in some B-tier yacht rock band that was mildly popular in the 70s and served two terms as very generic D backbencher in the House from 2007-2011. I'm sure if you dug hard enough you could find something like a State Senator somewhere who was on a reality TV show like 15 years ago, but regardless the point is clear.

Raphael Warnock and Wes Moore are the most obvious and recent examples of celebrities turned Democrat politicians.  And this really isn't hard if you inclusively define celebrity to mean "previously known for something other than politics" - a majority of Democrats' freshman House class in 2018 had no previous elected experience. 
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #348 on: July 11, 2023, 08:50:01 PM »

Just what they said in Michigan gubernatorial in 2018. Governor El-Sayed ended up doing an amazing job, amirite?

....oh wait.

El-Sayed isn’t black…
Spectator
United States

« Reply #349 on: July 11, 2023, 09:54:07 PM »

Raphael Warnock and Wes Moore are the most obvious and recent examples of celebrities turned Democrat politicians.  And this really isn't hard if you inclusively define celebrity to mean "previously known for something other than politics" - a majority of Democrats' freshman House class in 2018 had no previous elected experience. 

I wouldn’t call those celebrities in the common sense of the word. No one knew who the hell either of those were prior to their runs unless you went to Warnock’s church or read Moore’s book.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies