MI-SEN 2024 Megathread - Meijer out (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:23:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI-SEN 2024 Megathread - Meijer out (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MI-SEN 2024 Megathread - Meijer out  (Read 29409 times)
kwabbit

« on: November 14, 2022, 03:33:06 AM »

Stabenow put next to no effort in campaigning in 2018. She would do better if she tried. I think James might be stale at this point; his narrow victory doesn’t inspire that much confidence in his ability to win statewide.
kwabbit

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 01:55:12 PM »

Any talk of Peter Meijer potentially running for this?

I believe Meijer has expressed interest in returning to the House or running for this Senate seat, but he'd be nonviable. If he can't win the primary in his very normie-GOP district, then I doubt he'd be successful in a statewide primary. I'd like to see him try though.
kwabbit

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 02:45:56 PM »

I believe Meijer has expressed interest in returning to the House or running for this Senate seat, but he'd be nonviable. If he can't win the primary in his very normie-GOP district, then I doubt he'd be successful in a statewide primary. I'd like to see him try though.

He came very close in his House primary and there have been some signs that the GOP electorate has somewhat cooled on Trump since (although the degree is very much disputed) I don't think Mejer would be DOA in either a House or Senate primary. 

Maybe for his House seat, but now that a Dem is the incumbent that district is likely gone. Scholten won by 13 points. I could see Meijer getting 25 or 30% in a Senate primary, but he's just not where the party is. At least in Michigan there's a good stable of electable reps, former reps, or row office holders that could run that would clearly do better than Meijer in a primary.
kwabbit

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 01:03:41 PM »

He came very close in his House primary and there have been some signs that the GOP electorate has somewhat cooled on Trump since (although the degree is very much disputed) I don't think Mejer would be DOA in either a House or Senate primary. 

What signs are you refering to? I know trumps election polling dipped after the election but they seem to have rebounded somewhat

Trump is slightly up compared to early December but still a lot down from August when Meijer lost. I expect Meijer to run and not be very competitive. He seems to have a big ego, not too out of the norm for a heir, for instance when he went to Afghanistan without receiving permission to play hero. He thinks he can win.
kwabbit

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 01:22:41 PM »

Hill Harper running is kind of weird. He's not a direct carpetbagger, having lived in the state for 5 years, but one wonders why he initially moved to Detroit despite no previous connection. Was it a long term investment in his political future, or did he just do it to connect with the African American community of Detroit?
kwabbit

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 02:31:05 PM »

On the one hand, aesthetically Craig was perfect. On the other hand, if he was that horrible at actually campaigning, he would have stood no chance against Slotkin.

Rogers is certainly underwhelming and leaves much to be desired, but he's a much stronger candidate than the two hedge fund managers(McCormick/Hovde), so I still think MI is still viable for the GOP. He probably needs Trump to win MI though.

Yeah Craig would not have a run a good campaign if he was so incompetent at the very basics. He could've easily gotten the nomination in MI-Gov 22 and MI-Sen 24 if he wasn't a disaster. Him dropping out now is a sign that an actual campaign would not have succeeded.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies