Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:08:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 226
Author Topic: Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread  (Read 263257 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: December 15, 2020, 11:43:15 AM »

Is this turnout good for Dems? I mean, the election nationwide showed us benefits from high turnout isn't a one-way street for Dems. I'm particulary interested in opinions from GA posters.

I mean, it's easy to see though, just looking at the black %. Not sure if it will hold up, but right *now* the #s are very good news for Dems
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1076 on: December 15, 2020, 11:45:07 AM »

Atlas: “I live in a white state but dammit I know how the blacks are gonna vote and the turnout is just not going to be there in a runoff. Nevermind that the state has been at the epicenter of the voting rights conversation in this country and over a billion dollars will be spent. Jim Martin’s loss accurately predicts voting patterns, twelve years, and 3 million new registrants later.”
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1077 on: December 15, 2020, 11:51:23 AM »

Atlas: “Turnout’s going to be low because a Dixiecrat who ran away from the shadow of Obama lost a low turnout election over a decade ago before millions of new voters joined the voter rolls.” Roll Eyes

Atlas: “I live in a white state but dammit I know how the blacks are gonna vote and the turnout is just not going to be there in a runoff. Nevermind that the state has been at the epicenter of the voting rights conversation in this country and over a billion dollars will be spent. Jim Martin’s loss accurately predicts voting patterns, twelve years, and 3 million new registrants later.”

^You must be posting on a different ‘Atlas’ than I am because all I’m seeing (aside from two perpetual red-avatar doomers) is reports of high D/turnout Black turnout, rumors/tweets about ‘low-propensity Trumpists’ sitting this one out, Loeffler and Perdue making supposedly game-changing gaffes, etc. Tongue
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1078 on: December 15, 2020, 12:39:12 PM »

Is this turnout good for Dems? I mean, the election nationwide showed us benefits from high turnout isn't a one-way street for Dems. I'm particulary interested in opinions from GA posters.
Black voters are 32.8 percent of the mail in ballots requested and 33 percent of the votes cast. The answer is yes.

But, since Ossoff barely squeaked into the runoff, he will have to perform better than he did in November. Warnock looks better.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1079 on: December 15, 2020, 12:41:05 PM »

Black voters are 32.8 percent of the mail in ballots requested and 33 percent of the votes cast. The answer is yes.

But, since Ossoff barely squeaked into the runoff, he will have to perform better than he did in November. Warnock looks better.
How does Warnock look better? If anything I think Ossoff does a little better than Warnock
forsythvoter

« Reply #1080 on: December 15, 2020, 12:50:21 PM »

How does Warnock look better? If anything I think Ossoff does a little better than Warnock

I actually find both Ds a bit more impressive than the two Rs (in terms of personality and campaign strategy, not necessarily policy views), but I think Warnock's chances are better because Loeffler turns more people off than Perdue and her term is only for 2 years so easier for traditional R voters to cross-over. At least this is true in my stretch of the N Atlanta burbs.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1081 on: December 15, 2020, 12:58:09 PM »

They are though - the % is higher right now
T0rM3nTeD
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1082 on: December 15, 2020, 01:26:45 PM »

Big weekend update + first day of early in person voting.

Total of 314,499 mail ballots accepted so far (1.32M in the General)
Total of 1.419M mail ballots requested so far (1.782M in the General)
Total of 168,293 EIP votes so far (2.694M in the General)

If each county breaks the same way the did in the GE Senate race for EIP votes and mail votes, the breakdown would be:

Dems - 269,949
GOP - 212,843

Dems +57,106
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1083 on: December 15, 2020, 01:44:58 PM »

If Dems manage to win both/either of these seats, it'll be the last hurrah before 2022 when they lose the House and potentially lose a Senate seat or two. Hopefully they can capitalize off the GOP infighting, particularly in GA, to keep Republican enthusiasm lower than it would've been otherwise.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1084 on: December 15, 2020, 02:11:31 PM »

Mail ballot requests

12/10: 1.17M (53.6% white/31.2% black)
12/13: 1.25M (53.0% white/31.6% black)
12/15: 1.42M (52.2% white/32.6% black)

GE
Final Total: 1.78M (51.2% white/31.4% black)

TOTAL VOTES (in person + mail)
12/15: 483K (54.2% white/33.6% black)
GE: 4.03M (56.5% white/27.7% black)
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #1085 on: December 15, 2020, 02:39:25 PM »

SenatorCouzens
United States

« Reply #1086 on: December 15, 2020, 02:51:10 PM »

Not that it's dispositive as to how the election will turn out, but isn't the first day of the runoff being 47-36 Dem compared to the first day of the general being 49-34 Dem a good sign for the GOP and not really "about the same or perhaps a little better"?

Again, not indicative of how the election will turn out, but if we are just comparing both first days, this is an improvement for the GOP -- there's nothing "perhaps" about it.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1087 on: December 15, 2020, 02:53:18 PM »

Jon Ossoff is leaving Fortress Atlanta to venture out to more isolated Blue outposts in red territory.

It makes sense considering that these places have a substantial share of black voters

Also the smaller cities like Columbus, Athens, and Kavanaugh are a major part of what helped to deliver GA to Biden. Yes Atlanta played a huge role, but Atlanta by itself isn't enough by itself the way Chicago or NYC is.

City of Kavanaugh?
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1088 on: December 15, 2020, 02:57:41 PM »

Not that it's dispositive as to how the election will turn out, but isn't the first day of the runoff being 47-36 Dem compared to the first day of the general being 49-34 Dem a good sign for the GOP and not really "about the same or perhaps a little better"?

Again, not indicative of how the election will turn out, but if we are just comparing both first days, this is an improvement for the GOP -- there's nothing "perhaps" about it.

Well, the turnout was higher than the turnout for the first day of early voting for the general, but I would be astounded if turnout for these runoffs exceeded the turnout for the general. Could be lots of reasons why the Dems lost ground, I wouldn't read too much into this
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1089 on: December 15, 2020, 03:11:59 PM »

Jon Ossoff is leaving Fortress Atlanta to venture out to more isolated Blue outposts in red territory.

It makes sense considering that these places have a substantial share of black voters

Also the smaller cities like Columbus, Athens, and Kavanaugh are a major part of what helped to deliver GA to Biden. Yes Atlanta played a huge role, but Atlanta by itself isn't enough by itself the way Chicago or NYC is.

City of Kavanaugh?

Lol I think I meant Savannah.
SenatorCouzens
United States

« Reply #1090 on: December 15, 2020, 03:28:48 PM »

Well, the turnout was higher than the turnout for the first day of early voting for the general, but I would be astounded if turnout for these runoffs exceeded the turnout for the general. Could be lots of reasons why the Dems lost ground, I wouldn't read too much into this

I certainly agree not to read too much into it.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1091 on: December 15, 2020, 03:42:38 PM »

Just completed our second (and final) extensive runoff poll. From here on out, we'll be doing tracking (which only asks demographics/vote intention/vote method/name rec).

There's nothing really new or unexpected to report, but an interesting data point we picked up is that Loeffler & Perdue are both struggling with Republicans under the age of 40, and even more so when narrowed down to under the age of 30. Many rate their likelihood to vote as low, their enthusiasm to vote even lower, and the percentage who say they've requested a ballot at this point is far lower than it was in our polls of the general election. They are also the most likely demographic to report that they haven't been contacted by any candidate's campaign. In our previous poll, we found Republican youth to be the most anti-Trump 2024, so it's possible we're picking up an under-the-radar trend here.

In the past, GA Republicans have had some of the better youth outreach we've seen. Kemp's 2018 campaign in particular did a fairly good job organizing with college Republicans, and reaching out to rural millennials. If the Republicans narrowly fall short here, Republican youth dropoff could wind up being the decisive reason.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1092 on: December 15, 2020, 03:46:15 PM »

Senators Ossoff and Warnock...let's manifest it.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1093 on: December 15, 2020, 03:47:37 PM »

Joe Biden is out campaigning for them at this moment. Come on, Georgia, deliver the president the senate to get things done.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1094 on: December 15, 2020, 03:51:15 PM »

Just 2 weeks ago, it looked pretty grim for the 2 Dems.

Now, with more requests in and early voting going on, much better.

Let’s see if a surprise or two is possible ...
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1095 on: December 15, 2020, 03:58:36 PM »

Funny how on election night, people thought Joe would lose and the Senate was a lost cause. We may still lose the Senate, but we do have a good chance
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1096 on: December 15, 2020, 03:59:45 PM »

Just got back from voting in DeKalb (all Dem of course). Turnout was mediocre but steady, enthusiasm seems to be creeping up.

Both races will likely be within a point.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #1097 on: December 15, 2020, 04:03:29 PM »

I admit that weeks ago I thought that GOP had this in the bag  simply because I believed that the Dems would sit this one out like they always do in runoff elections  but Now its becoming very clear that will not be the case this time and Dems seem to be more energized than normal

maybe the GOP can still win it in the end but at this point It would not shock or surprise me at all if they Dems ended winning both seats on election day
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1098 on: December 15, 2020, 04:18:42 PM »

I admit that weeks ago I thought that GOP had this in the bag  simply because I believed that the Dems would sit this one out like they always do in runoff elections  but Now its becoming very clear that will not be the case this time and Dems seem to be more energized than normal

maybe the GOP can still win it in the end but at this point It would not shock or surprise me at all if they Dems ended winning both seats on election day

Yeah, which is why Mary Landrieu won 44% of the vote in 2014 and why Democrats lost the two GA runoffs in 2018 by less than 4 points. The ‘Dems always sit out runoffs’ myth is based almost entirely on a single runoff election held twelve years ago (which, as RFKFan has already pointed out, is an extremely flawed comparison). At no point in this runoff campaign was there ever any good reason to believe that Republicans had either race in the bag, and Ossoff/Warnock wins would by no means qualify as ‘upsets.’ I’m still expecting Perdue and Loeffler to win, but certainly not by more than 3-4 points.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1099 on: December 15, 2020, 05:22:31 PM »

https://twitter.com/gtryan/status/1338824661015138309?s=20

Atlas: “Turnout’s going to be low because a Dixiecrat who ran away from the shadow of Obama lost a low turnout election over a decade ago before millions of new voters joined the voter rolls.” Roll Eyes

The funny thing is Jim Martin was not a Dixiecrat, he was an urban white progressive Dem from Atlanta lol - pretty close to the demographic that Democrats have appealed to to make gains in the northern part of the Atlanta metro (pretty much the same demographic as Jon Ossoff for one).

Anyway, the turnout so far seems to make it clear that it is not going to be a repeat of the 2008 runoff. The worst case scenario of a blowout R win can pretty much be ruled out at this point, it seems implausible that Rs can win by more than 5% or so at the very most, and more likely it will be closer than that and the Dems do have a realistic chance of winning.

The interesting question is how much of this is due to what factors? How much of the higher turnout is due to Trump, specifically, sticking around and refusing to concede the election? How much is due to the general trend of higher turnout and political engagement that has gone back for at least a decade or two in general? How much of it is due to control of the Senate depending on this race? I think these are all significant factors explaining high turnout relative to some historical runoffs.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 226  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies