DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:40:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 135 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 271127 times)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3225 on: January 08, 2021, 04:59:56 PM »

I think Murkowski is gonna switch to Indy and caucus with Dems.

That would be hilarious
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #3226 on: January 08, 2021, 05:01:47 PM »

I didn't have Lindsey Graham being chased through an airport by an angry mob of Trumpists on my 2021 bingo card. lol
Serves him right.

Wait, what? Link?

I know that Graham has already expressed his opposition to impeachment, but I wonder if becoming the targets of Trump's cult will make congressional Republicans more or less likely to consider impeachment. I could see someone like Mace, who clearly was particularly bothered by the storming of the Capitol, becoming hardened in their anti-Trump resolve if they are faced with the rage and insanity of his supporters. They may also feel as though they have already lost Trump's most fervent admirers by upholding the results of the election, and thus they don't have as much to lose by voting to impeach/convict him. On the other hand, they may feel increasingly desperate to please Trump's base if they feel like they may be losing favor with them.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3227 on: January 08, 2021, 05:04:41 PM »

I hope we see a lot more of this.  I want every Republican who enabled Trump for the last four years to spend the rest of their years being hoist on their own petard day in and day out.  I want them to suffer every single day from the plague that they brought on this country.  I don't want them to ever be able to escape the shame and disgrace they brought upon themselves and their country.  Even if they retire to some little lake house and never appear in public again, I want there to be no escape.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #3228 on: January 08, 2021, 05:05:00 PM »

After watching that video, the cop was justified in using deadly force. I refuse to say her name so she’s not turned into some sort of martyr. I’m sorry the situation came to that but I’m not sorry she died. I’m sorry she’d been brainwashed for so long and I’m sorry her kids have to grow up without a mom. She was through that window and close to getting to the reps and the cop made the right split second decision.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3229 on: January 08, 2021, 05:10:06 PM »

After watching that video, the cop was justified in using deadly force. I refuse to say her name so she’s not turned into some sort of martyr. I’m sorry the situation came to that but I’m not sorry she died. I’m sorry she’d been brainwashed for so long and I’m sorry her kids have to grow up without a mom. She was through that window and close to getting to the reps and the cop made the right split second decision.
He had no choice. The area was barricaded for a reason, and his orders were to secure it and the people inside. Her being unarmed is completely irrelevant given the context of the situation.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3230 on: January 08, 2021, 05:15:34 PM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3231 on: January 08, 2021, 05:16:00 PM »

Oh no, poor Pence.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3232 on: January 08, 2021, 05:17:35 PM »

If you had told me like 3 months ago that Democrats had a better chance at flipping Lisa Murkowski than North Carolina, I would’ve called you crazy
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #3233 on: January 08, 2021, 05:18:11 PM »

What are chances that they actually resign or that the Senate expel them by 2/3?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #3234 on: January 08, 2021, 05:18:17 PM »

I didn't have Lindsey Graham being chased through an airport by an angry mob of Trumpists on my 2021 bingo card. lol

Serves him right.

Wait, what? Link?

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3235 on: January 08, 2021, 05:18:33 PM »

If you had told me like 3 months ago that Democrats had a better chance at flipping Lisa Murkowski than North Carolina, I would’ve called you crazy

I mean right now Dems have a better chance of flipping Mitch McConnell than of winning NC.
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3236 on: January 08, 2021, 05:21:09 PM »

What are chances that they actually resign or that the Senate expel them by 2/3?

Must be pretty close to nonexistent.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3237 on: January 08, 2021, 05:22:49 PM »

I'll predict now that the outcome will be a vote of censure against Hawley at least.  Less sure about Cruz.
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3238 on: January 08, 2021, 05:24:15 PM »

I'll predict now that the outcome will be a vote of censure against Hawley at least.  Less sure about Cruz.

That definitely seems plausible.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #3239 on: January 08, 2021, 05:24:24 PM »

The calls grow

Pick Up the Phone

« Reply #3240 on: January 08, 2021, 05:24:40 PM »

Well, he's not completely wrong.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3241 on: January 08, 2021, 05:27:31 PM »

I think Murkowski is gonna switch to Indy and caucus with Dems.

This was from the same article:

Asked whether she intends to remain a Republican, Murkowski said that depends on the party itself.

“Well, you know, there’s a lot of people who actually thought that I did that in 2010, think that I became an independent. I didn’t have any reason to leave my party in 2010. I was a Republican who ran a write-in campaign and I was successful. But I will tell you, if the Republican Party has become nothing more than the party of Trump, I sincerely question whether this is the party for me,” she said.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #3242 on: January 08, 2021, 05:36:50 PM »

Many, many Trump supporters are utterly embarassed at what has happened, IRL and on forum.

Sure, but the question therefore is; are they still Trump supporters?  The answer to that will tell us all we need to know.

No, even that doesn't go far enough. It's easy for these profile in Courage last-minute converts to democracy to reject Trump in the last week and a half of his presidency when he is irrelevant towards conservatives maintaining political power and advancing their agenda. If they don't oppose Trump ISM, which encompasses all those jackass congressmen, Senators, Governors, and hundreds of assorted Republican officials who full bore stood by and parotid Trump's Fantastical claims of election fraud and incitements for Direct action.

If they can't bring themselves to throw out those individuals for at bare minimum a sane Republican like Nancy Mays, Mitt Romney, John Kasich, Etc, or if not then bite the bullet and vote Democrat or third-party, then they've demonstrated they really don't give a crap. Between conservatism and democracy, they will choose the former every time.

Except for the fact that you could count on one hand the number of elected Republican politicians who are truly Trumpists.  Frankly, that list might begin and end with Josh Hawley.  And, even he is probably more pandering than anything.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #3243 on: January 08, 2021, 05:38:20 PM »

F**k.

Between the lack of enforcement to clear law enforcement bias between Wednesday & BLM protests to lack of sedition charges to lack of 25th Amendment actions within the White House. I haven't been surprised yet.

The only thing surprising me so far is how surprised you are at how things have unfolded since Wednesday
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #3244 on: January 08, 2021, 05:39:10 PM »

Many, many Trump supporters are utterly embarassed at what has happened, IRL and on forum.

Sure, but the question therefore is; are they still Trump supporters?  The answer to that will tell us all we need to know.

No, even that doesn't go far enough. It's easy for these profile in Courage last-minute converts to democracy to reject Trump in the last week and a half of his presidency when he is irrelevant towards conservatives maintaining political power and advancing their agenda. If they don't oppose Trump ISM, which encompasses all those jackass congressmen, Senators, Governors, and hundreds of assorted Republican officials who full bore stood by and parotid Trump's Fantastical claims of election fraud and incitements for Direct action.

If they can't bring themselves to throw out those individuals for at bare minimum a sane Republican like Nancy Mays, Mitt Romney, John Kasich, Etc, or if not then bite the bullet and vote Democrat or third-party, then they've demonstrated they really don't give a crap. Between conservatism and democracy, they will choose the former every time.

Except for the fact that you could count on one hand the number of elected Republican politicians who are truly Trumpists.  Frankly, that list might begin and end with Josh Hawley.  And, even he is probably more pandering than anything.
Marjorie Taylor Greene?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3245 on: January 08, 2021, 05:42:46 PM »

Tuberville?  Gosar?  Mo Brooks?  Boebert?  Greene?  Gaetz?  We're already over one hand and those are just the first ones that jumped to mind.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #3246 on: January 08, 2021, 05:43:30 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2021, 05:54:22 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

I feel like a broken record at this point. But after Wednesday and the last 5 years of Trump in politics, political observers shouldn't have the right to exclaim "WOW" about any story anymore.

Nothing should be surprising and nothing should be shocking anymore in politics. The moderate Republican Senator of Alaska calling for the President leaving office just doesn't feel nearly as shocking after what we saw on Wednesday & the last 4 years. Same with Democratic Senators calling for members of the opposition to resign.

Not to mention, Murkowski is calling for Trump to leave 99.2% into his term
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3247 on: January 08, 2021, 05:45:39 PM »

Tuberville?  Gosar?  Mo Brooks?  Boebert?  Greene?  Gaetz?  We're already over one hand and those are just the first ones that jumped to mind.

Jim Jordan is another one that I can think of. As I was remarking elsewhere, the number of extremist ideologues in the Republican caucus is alarming to me.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #3248 on: January 08, 2021, 05:46:11 PM »

Marjorie Taylor Greene?

I totally forgot about her for a minute.  But, yes, she is probably the #1 example of what Badger was talking about.  Still, my point stands that I don't believe most Republican officeholders really want to stick with Trumpism going forward.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #3249 on: January 08, 2021, 05:47:02 PM »

Jim Jordan is another one that I can think of. As I was remarking elsewhere, the number of extremist ideologues in the Republican caucus is alarming to me.
How can we forget Big Louie Gohmert
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 135 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies