DC Unrest Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:13:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 269117 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 06, 2021, 06:52:36 PM »

Impeach him.  Immediately.  No research or hearings are necessary.  We can do it in a day if everyone plays along.

You have to draw a line.  This is where the line is drawn.  No matter what your ideology.  Everyone is on the same side here.

Republicans don't even have anything to lose.  His presidency is over.  What, you have Pence instead of Trump for a few days?  Maybe you can even stop him from running in 2024 so Cruz/Hawley can cruise through to the nomination.

Just do it.  Impeach and remove President Trump.  He shouldn't be in office for one more day.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 09:19:03 PM »

Josh Hawley is pretending to be upset.  I'll never forget that photo of him smirking and waving at the rioters on his way into the Capitol as they cheered for him.

Romney is staring daggers at him.  Mitt, if there's a first time in your life to use a swear word, now would be it.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 12:49:53 PM »

Also I think after all of this I must offer an apology to the BLM movement.
I called them out for looting and justified the police response under the pretense that there was massive property destruction, violence, and congregation during a pandemic.

Well...we saw all of the above yesterday and the DC police seemed complicit in allowing these protestors to go through.

Before I had thought that the idea of police hating black Americans was ridiculous. Yes I saw the George Floyd incident, but I viewed it as an outlier. I believed that a large cause of the disparities were largely due to poverty rather than race.

Yesterday cleared any illusions I had about all of that. The lack of a police response to these violent rioters desecrating our greatest landmark, our sacred hall, tells me everything. I hereby apologize for supporting the police response during the Floyd protests, and while I still do not agree with the looting that did occur then, it is clear there exists a shocking double standard in America which must change.

I still don’t think the slogan defund the police was ever bright, but I am more sympathetic than ever towards replacing the structure we have now.

I will say it now, even if six months too late.

Black Lives Matter.

Always have and always will. That being said, “Defund the police” was an incredibly poorly thought-out slogan that likely cost Democrats millions of voters, several House seats, and an outright trifecta on election night.

"Defund the police" has nothing to do with BLM.  It's a slogan invented by white leftist radicals who hijacked the BLM movement, because "Black Lives Matter" wasn't edgy or radical enough for them and they wanted their own slogan.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 06:48:33 PM »

I lived a few blocks away from CHAZ.  I never feared for my life or safety.  I never thought they would have any impact on anything.

It was a self-contained mess.  They took over a very small area of the city and turned it into their own private s--thole, and the city shamefully allowed them to do it, due to severe political pressure from the extreme leftists/communists/anarchists (who are not part of the Democratic Party big tent).

The only thing that worried me about CHAZ was that Democrats were not condemning it with sufficiently strong rhetoric, and that Republicans would point to it as "what the Democrats want."  Which is exactly what happened.  CHAZ cost us House seats.  But that is a political concern and has nothing to do with CHAZ's tangible goals or accomplishments.

Contrast this with the attack on the Capitol yesterday.  The Trump Mob was there to overturn the results of a democratic election.  They professed a desire to attack, and even murder, congressmen.  What do you think would've happened if they got a hold of Nancy Pelosi?  Or Ilhan Omar?  We'd be talking about the first sitting congressman to be murdered since Leo Ryan was murdered at Jonestown.

The Trump Mob destroyed more property in two hours than CHAZ destroyed in two months.  They looted more property in two hours than any of the Seattle riots over the last six months.  Trust me, I've walked by some of the businesses that have had windows smashed and stuff stolen.

CHAZ was horrible and stupid.  All the BLM-related riots were horrible and stupid.  It all pales in comparison to Donald Trump's attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Also, Democrats condemned CHAZ and condemned the riots.  Democratic mayors and governors deployed police and the national guard to attack rioters and defend businesses.  Meanwhile half of the Republican Party approves of the riots, and their conspiracy theory was validated by a majority of the Republican House caucus just hours after the attack!

So enough with this false equivalency BS.  If that's the best talking point Fox can come up with, y'all are in deep trouble.  Cause even you don't believe it deep down.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 05:04:41 PM »

I hope we see a lot more of this.  I want every Republican who enabled Trump for the last four years to spend the rest of their years being hoist on their own petard day in and day out.  I want them to suffer every single day from the plague that they brought on this country.  I don't want them to ever be able to escape the shame and disgrace they brought upon themselves and their country.  Even if they retire to some little lake house and never appear in public again, I want there to be no escape.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 05:18:33 PM »

If you had told me like 3 months ago that Democrats had a better chance at flipping Lisa Murkowski than North Carolina, I would’ve called you crazy

I mean right now Dems have a better chance of flipping Mitch McConnell than of winning NC.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 11:54:55 AM »

These past few days have been surreal. Of all the many things I could have seen going wrong in the future, I never would have guessed that the all-powerful government that fought the War on Terror and dominated the planet would have faced a failed coup.

I mean, it's fun using these words, but there was always a 0% chance this "coup" would actually work.

Even if the mob managed to execute every Democratic member of Congress, Biden would still become president in the eyes of everyone who matters on January 20, and the military and national security apparatus would immediately report to him.

If you think all the levers of power in our country would say "oh, well I guess Trump is still our boss then" just because a mob killed everyone involved in ceremonially ratifying Biden's presidency, you're wrong.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 01:49:18 PM »

Mods please delete the Bohemian Rhapsody crap.  This isn't Reddit.

Also Game of Thrones is about a "fictitious medieval England."  Westeros is literally England, the Lannisters vs. Starks is derived from the War of the Roses, and there are other direct parallels to major events in English history.  GRRM has talked about this before, I believe.

So actually Giuliani is just a superfan and history buff.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 01:18:00 PM »

One time I went to a KKK rally just because I wanted to see history.  I was in the crowd when they were shouting "kill Obama! Kill all the n****rs!" but I thought it was a just a joke.  When the actually lynching happened and 4 black men were tortured and burned alive, I was nowhere near.

Why are people looking at me funny?  I swear I had no idea this would happen and had nothing to do with the lynching.  I just wanted to see history.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 12:06:31 AM »

Please don't post Seth Abramson on here.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies