DC Unrest Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:57:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 268832 times)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« on: January 06, 2021, 04:20:15 PM »

How does this effect the GOP’s chances of winning in the future?

Damn, and I was just about to praise this board for not engaging in sterile elections talk that seem comparatively meaningless in light of this event.

At least we haven't gotten much "Today won't matter, Dems are still gonna have a horrible 2022" posts
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 04:22:20 PM »

I’ve muted Sanchez for 5 days from USGD as an emergency measure. Additional sanctions may be considered later.

But he's "funny" or a "forum institution" or some other drivel
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 04:28:50 PM »

Biden's response was exactly what we needed. Calm.

Inciting more violence is not a good idea.

It's not enough.  Let me sum up the last 4 years for you:

Trump cultists act outrageous, violent, break rules, norms, laws.  

Democrats respond: "we need calm, we need to come together as a country."  

Trump cult: continues to break rules, laws, norms, be violent.

If there's anything I want to see eradicated after the last 4 years, it's the dance Democrats love to do of "Writing a letter" or "urging" Republicans to walk back certain actions/statements.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 05:19:50 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 05:28:19 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

Why isn't the police doing more? They should remove the rioters, by force if necessary. This is lawlessness in the extreme.

It's incredible seeing this after a year of nationwide protests.

We know the police can stop this, we've seen them brutalize protests with tear gas and rubber bullets for months.
They are deliberately choosing not to do their jobs.

I still don't get this.  Why are these rioters not being arrested?  If this was peaceful protestors in wheelchairs protesting Obamacare repeal bills they'd all have twist ties around their hands.  

We need massive police reform immediately.

I'm honestly tickled by the shock and appalled feelings towards law enforcement today. My social media feeds are flooded with BLM organizers & protesters who are not surprised at all by law enforcement's reaction today. Just cause it's DC Police doesn't make it any better or worse.

I'm not surprised at all. Law enforcement has been an increasingly right-wing sector that's being consumed by MAGAheads & QAnon believers. And between the Floyd protests and today, it's now on display for the entire world to see.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 05:36:11 PM »

Hi - it's page 38 and I just got here. Can someone please give me a quick rundown of what I missed?
Just put on a TV

Aren’t you supposed to be muted?

Never underestimate the power of the "Forum Institution" defense
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 05:39:00 PM »

So...how does this influence the 2022 midterms?

God dammit:

How does this effect the GOP’s chances of winning in the future?

Damn, and I was just about to praise this board for not engaging in sterile elections talk that seem comparatively meaningless in light of this event.

Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 05:44:46 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 05:51:06 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

So...how does this influence the 2022 midterms?

There was already reason to believe they would be different than normal, especially after these run-offs, but now? I’m just gonna go ahead and call it: I think the GOP will have the most pathetic performance for an opposition party in Congress in generations. Between this, the vaccine, the economy roaring back... It will in the best of worlds be the roaring 20s but with Democrats instead of Republicans dominating.

Devil's advocate: we just saw, on live TV, that a large number of Americans in fact support this kind of action.

Hot take: Discussion of electoral consequences are meaningless and ungermaine at the moment. Even on an election-centric forum.

This would be like asking about electoral consequences on 9/11 or 11/22/63. Best to leave it at "We don't know" and move on to the bigger picture.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 06:33:08 PM »

/Tweet from some guy

Some left-wing Twitter users are the best allies of trumpists.

What's with this boards obsession with random tweets from random people?
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 06:37:31 PM »

CLOWN WORLD, HONK HONK

THESE PEOPLE LIVE IN CLOWN WORLD. JESUS CHRIST

I'm honestly getting irritated from people acting surprised and shocked today. Has everyone been asleep the last 4, 8, 20 years?
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 06:44:56 PM »

When the government reports about today get written up, I wouldn't be stunned if there were more armed LEO at the George Floyd candlelight processional in my downtown (Attended by no more than 200 people) than today at the US Capitol.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 06:55:25 PM »

I don't want to see the words "unprecedented", "unheard of", "unreal", "shocking" or "wow" used to describe any political story.

In my view, those words have lost all meaning after the last 4 years.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 07:03:41 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 07:14:48 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

D.C. police are complicit.

not surprised

Really? I'm dumbfounded. Absolutely shocked.

Like this would have happened for an instant for any antifa Riot or BLM protest.

That's exactly why I'm not "absolutely shocked". Especially when it comes to the increasingly right-wing MAGA rhetoric within law enforcement.

Hell, 100% of my social media feeds is strictly about how obvious it was that law enforcement would barely lift a finger on MAGAheads storming the capitol, compared to the military-style response of BLM protests of the last decade.

If you're "absolutely shocked" by law enforcement's response in this, you haven't been paying attention.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 07:06:40 PM »

Look at these disgraceful comments: https://rrhelections.com/index.php/2021/01/06/capitol-hill-violence-open-thread/#comment-636599. If anyone thought the minds and hearts of many Trump voters would be changed by what happened today, think again. Already, they're blaming the media, Democrats, "left-wing" activists, and other targets of the right for what happened today.

Please don't link or mention that drivelous site on here
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 07:19:06 PM »

Meanwhile in LA...

If there's one thing history has shown, it's don't mess with the LAPD. I suppose MAGA-stans are learning that the hard way.

Forgive me if I'm not as optimistic are you about the LAPD
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 07:22:37 PM »

Is it fair to say Hawley and Cruz are screwed as far as 2024?

Same answer as to what the 'electoral consequences' of today are.

"No one knows and it's almost meaningless to think about that now"
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 08:13:05 PM »

This country is beyond saving, holy sh-t

(Poll showing the obvious)

Don't act so shocked. You've known for 4+ years now
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 08:17:31 PM »

I don't know what's more frustrating: Hearing Pence & Mitch speak or folks actually feeling comfort them despite their culpability of today's actions.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2021, 08:26:31 PM »

Honestly I don't care to nor condone attacking Republicans who are standing against Trump and his rioters. People like Mitch have done a lot of bad, but it isn't about that stuff right now. Its about the fundamentals of democracy. We should accept all the help we get in defending it.

They've been eroding democracy and festering demonization for 30+ years. This is the latest development in a narrative that goes thru Trump, McConnell, Dubya, Gingrich, etc. I'm not giving them brownie points or sympathy if they feel the line ends with the 1-2 of the delegitimization of a presidential election and the storming of the US Capitol
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 08:33:24 PM »

I knew I forgot one.

I don't want to see the words "unprecedented", "unheard of", "unreal", "shocking", "my God" or "wow" used to describe any political story.

In my view, those words have lost all meaning after the last 4 years.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 08:36:37 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 08:40:21 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

Honestly I don't care to nor condone attacking Republicans who are standing against Trump and his rioters. People like Mitch have done a lot of bad, but it isn't about that stuff right now. Its about the fundamentals of democracy. We should accept all the help we get in defending it.

They've been eroding democracy and festering demonization for 30+ years. This is the latest development in a narrative that goes thru Trump, McConnell, Dubya, Gingrich, etc. I'm not giving them brownie points or sympathy if they feel the line ends with the 1-2 of the delegitimization of a presidential election and the storming of the US Capitol

You're right, and these Republicans shouldn't be treated like FFs for speaking out against the coup attempt. That said, we gotta take every minor win.

It's mind-boggling that a GOP politician condemning the storming of the US Capitol, incited by the GOP President, should be considered a "minor win".

The lack of law enforcement response didn't shock me, but storming itself didn't shock me, but this does.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 08:49:37 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 08:52:49 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

I hope everyone who said they’d object and is now withdrawing doesn’t get to get away with this.

"We gotta take any minor win we can get"
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2021, 08:54:11 PM »

Who are these people, why should I care and whats with this boards obsession with "Rose Twitter"?
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2021, 08:55:20 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 09:05:00 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

Can we finally ban people like Fuzzy for spreading propaganda that leads to people doing what we saw today?

Nope, "Forum Institution" defense and all that crap
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2021, 09:00:57 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 09:05:44 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

Can we finally ban people like Fuzzy for spreading propaganda that leads to people doing what we saw today?

Nope, "Forum Institution" defense and all that crap

no way in hell will I condone banning Fuzzy.

Told ya.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2021, 09:02:33 PM »

In all seriousness, does this have any potential effect on the future direction of the GOP? Do they start backing away from Trumpism? Did a guy like Sasse’s stock rise today while Hawley’s fell?

For the 10th time today, "Hell if anyone knows".

It's like asking what the 2002 midterms are gonna look like on 9/11. There's bigger news going on to worry about electoral prospects (Even on an election-centric forum)
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies