COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:13:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 269285 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: April 24, 2020, 09:15:58 AM »

Not from what I saw. Everyone from the medi to this very forum was hyping it up as the treat ment that would absolutely, 100% work.

Now it's a proven failure. Trials with it should be healted so we don't waste time and Gilead should be investigated by the SEC for market manipulation.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #676 on: April 24, 2020, 09:19:06 AM »

Not from what I saw. Everyone from the medi to this very forum was hyping it up as the treat ment that would absolutely, 100% work.

Now it's a proven failure. Trials with it should be healted so we don't waste time and Gilead should be investigated by the SEC for market manipulation.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far.  That study was inconclusive, but ISTR that there are others underway - by all means let them continue.  I think it's clear that remdesivir isn't a magic bullet (but it was always overly optimistic to think that it was), but it may still be helpful in some circumstances.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #677 on: April 24, 2020, 09:21:03 AM »

Eh, I wouldn't go that far.  That study was inconclusive, but ISTR that there are others underway - by all means let them continue.  I think it's clear that remdesivir isn't a magic bullet (but it was always overly optimistic to think that it was), but it may still be helpful in some circumstances.

Letting them continue is a waste of time and money. Gilead has been proven to be untrustworthy now and they should be investigated.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #678 on: April 24, 2020, 09:36:20 AM »

As much as anything, how much time and resource has been wasted on doing massive studies of some of these drugs on the basis of them being hyped of the back of dodgy or methodologically unsound initial studies?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #679 on: April 24, 2020, 09:54:39 AM »

As much as anything, how much time and resource has been wasted on doing massive studies of some of these drugs on the basis of them being hyped of the back of dodgy or methodologically unsound initial studies?

Too much, and Gilead has been at the centre of it all after they claimed that remdesivir was a wonder drug that would definitely work.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #680 on: April 24, 2020, 09:55:41 AM »

Too much, and Gilead has been at the centre of it all after they claimed that remdesivir was a wonder drug that would definitely work.

When did Gilead claim this?  Do you have a link?

I haven’t heard the company making any statements, except that the results of a large multisite trial would be available in the next week or so.  Seems like everyone should just wait for that.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #681 on: April 24, 2020, 09:55:52 AM »

Their leader thinks injecting disinfectants could work to cure covid and windmills cause cancer. What do you expect?

Trump has said a lot of stupid things because he's a moron but this is the worst.

It's even dumber than sweep the forest floor to prevent forest fires or Puerto Rico's "an island, surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #682 on: April 24, 2020, 10:16:51 AM »

Their leader thinks injecting disinfectants could work to cure covid and windmills cause cancer. What do you expect?

Trump has said a lot of stupid things because he's a moron but this is the worst.

It's even dumber than sweep the forest floor to prevent forest fires or Puerto Rico's "an island, surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."

It also opens up the possibility that Donald Trump accidentally kill himself one day, after taking a bit too much of a lysol-hydroxychloroquine cocktail. Joe Biden should raise that issue in the debates to counter the "what if Biden is senile" argument. What if Donald Trump gets re-elected and one day he decides to put larger quantities of disinfectants in his body, either through ingestion or injection?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #683 on: April 24, 2020, 10:21:16 AM »

Why is no one taliing about the fact that remdesivir has been proven to be snake oil?

Outside of Wallstreet I think most people were skeptical of this drug.

What on earth are you talking about? No one — on this forum, in the medical community, anywhere — claimed remdesivir was a 100% perfect cure. There are limited data from one small study in China suggesting it does not work; there are some data from a (less-rigorous) study in Chicago suggesting it does; there are several other studies, run by both Gilead and unaffiliated groups, that have not published any results yet. It's extremely dumb to look at the results of one (imperfect) study and conclude that the drug is not only conclusively ineffective, but a scam designed to raise stock prices.

We will find an effective treatment.  We have some of the most brilliant minds in medical research pouring hours and hours and hours into just that. 

But it's important to recognize that it may not come as a flip-of-the-switch-cure. 

Omega21

« Reply #684 on: April 24, 2020, 10:45:21 AM »

"I see the disenfectant knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we could do something like that? By... injection inside or... almost a cleaning, cause you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number and so I'd be interested to check that"

Denaturation and oxidation of healthy living cells.  Throwing off the very delicate pH balance of the blood and potentially inducing metabolic alkalosis.  A cascade of alkali necrosis as the agent enters the bloodstream.  

Good. Lord.  

You are Fake news!!!!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #685 on: April 24, 2020, 10:48:55 AM »

"I see the disenfectant knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we could do something like that? By... injection inside or... almost a cleaning, cause you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number and so I'd be interested to check that"

Denaturation and oxidation of healthy living cells.  Throwing off the very delicate pH balance of the blood and potentially inducing metabolic alkalosis.  A cascade of alkali necrosis as the agent enters the bloodstream.  

Good. Lord.  

You are Fake news!!!!

I can't tell if this is ironic or not. If it is, bravo. If not, consider that you've just told a med student that she's fake news.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #686 on: April 24, 2020, 11:00:41 AM »

Good. Lord.  

You are Fake news!!!!

I can't tell if this is ironic or not. If it is, bravo. If not, consider that you've just told a med student that she's fake news.

The ironic thing is how the right gets to tell people that they are who they because it is *FACT* but they are allowed to believe what they want to because its how they feel the world is.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #687 on: April 24, 2020, 11:24:00 AM »

Old thread: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=367850.0
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #688 on: April 24, 2020, 11:24:48 AM »

New megathread: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=370528.0
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #689 on: April 24, 2020, 11:26:13 AM »

Dettol And Lysol Maker Warns Against Drinking And Injecting Disinfectant After Trump Suggestion

The makers of Dettol and Lysol, have been forced to issue a strong warning telling people not to inject or drink disinfectant, after President Donald Trump contradicted experts and wrongly suggested it could be ingested to treat coronavirus.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2020/04/24/dettol-and-lysol-maker-warns-against-drinking-and-injecting-disinfectant-after-trump-suggestion

Always amazing again and again that people elected this guy as President ...
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #690 on: April 24, 2020, 11:26:28 AM »

If this lockdown goes on beyond June/July then bruh stop this earth and lemme jump off
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #691 on: April 24, 2020, 11:29:36 AM »

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but it was astonishing to me, in watching the news coverage of the vote on the coronavirus bill yesterday, to see members of Congress and their staff wearing masks. Even with mask-wearing, though, this country's partisan divides are obvious. Virtually all Democrats were wearing masks, while many Republicans-such as McCarthy, Scalise, Gohmert, and Jordan-were not doing so. Democratic Rep. Jim McGovern actually criticized Republicans for not adhering to CDC guidelines, since Congress is supposed to set an example for the rest of the country by doing so. I've seen anti-mask sentiments expressed by many on the right on comment boards. Some even believe that masks and gloves are meant as a control mechanism to subdue Americans, and that they are a tool of the left. Hence, they refuse to wear them.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #692 on: April 24, 2020, 11:30:30 AM »

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but it was astonishing to me, in watching the news coverage of the vote on the coronavirus bill yesterday, to see members of Congress and their staff wearing masks. Even with mask-wearing, though, this country's partisan divides are obvious. Virtually all Democrats were wearing masks, while many Republicans-such as McCarthy, Scalise, Gohmert, and Jordan-were not doing so. Democratic Rep. Jim McGovern actually criticized Republicans for not adhering to CDC guidelines, since Congress is supposed to set an example for the rest of the country by doing so. I've seen anti-mask sentiments expressed by many on the right on comment boards. Some even believe that masks and gloves are meant as a control mechanism to subdue Americans, and that they are a tool of the left. Hence, they refuse to wear them.

The WHO guidelines actually recommend against masks.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #693 on: April 24, 2020, 11:30:38 AM »

Petition to change the title of this thread.

[X] Tender

Most people will realize that the title is sarcasm, but there could be some people who actually do it and believe what Trump is saying and drink the Kool Aid.

Do we really want Kalwejt being locked up for attempted murder ?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #694 on: April 24, 2020, 11:32:37 AM »

[X] Tender

Most people will realize that the title is sarcasm, but there could be some people who actually do it and believe what Trump is saying ...

No one on Atlas actually is going to inject themselves with Lysol to kill Covid-19.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #695 on: April 24, 2020, 11:33:01 AM »

The WHO guidelines actually recommend against masks.

I'm aware of that, but the WHO's reputation isn't exactly stellar at the moment, and I've heard that they were considering changing those guidelines-though whether they actually do so remains to be seen. And as you've probably noticed (I'm assuming this is true in Kentucky as it is in Colorado), it seems that a majority of Americans are wearing masks in public now. I saw an ABC News poll from a week or two ago saying as much. According to that poll, 69% of Democrats and 47% of Republicans are wearing masks or face coverings in public. So there is a clear partisan divide on something as simple as that.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #696 on: April 24, 2020, 11:35:24 AM »

[X] Tender

Most people will realize that the title is sarcasm, but there could be some people who actually do it and believe what Trump is saying ...

No one on Atlas actually is going to inject themselves with Lysol to kill Covid-19.

Nobody ?

Are you sure ?

The combination of an insane POTUS and a thread title like this makes it possible ...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #697 on: April 24, 2020, 11:46:47 AM »

Re-name thread to „My body, my choice (to inject some Lysol).“
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #698 on: April 24, 2020, 12:12:02 PM »

[X] Tender

Nobody ?

Are you sure ?

The combination of an insane POTUS and a thread title like this makes it possible ...

If it happens it will be Trump who is the one responsible, not anyone here.

Really it will just be Darwinism. And the ultimate answer to the question of how many of his supporters truly are lemmings who would jump off a cliff if he told them to.

The amazing thing about it is I wasn't even slightly fazed when I heard about it. Not even a little bit. It took a while, but he has completely lost the ability to surprise me anymore no matter how surreally insane he gets. If tomorrow I woke up to news that Trump ran naked down Pennsylvania Avenue screaming that he was abducted by aliens who told him Mitch McConnell is a Sith lord, I would be like "Yep, that makes sense."

I can only hope the shock value has worn off and fatigue set in to those who were somehow attracted to the novelty of a literally retarded president as much as it has to those of us who always thought it would be a disaster.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #699 on: April 24, 2020, 12:15:47 PM »

• Tender

Nobody ?

Are you sure ?

If it happens it will be Trump who is the one responsible, not anyone here.

Really it will just be Darwinism. And the ultimate answer to the question of how many of his supporters truly are lemmings who would jump off a cliff if he told them to.

The amazing thing about it is I wasn't even slightly fazed when I heard about it. Not even a little bit. It took a while, but he has completely lost the ability to surprise me anymore no matter how surreally insane he gets. If tomorrow I woke up to news that Trump ran naked down Pennsylvania Avenue screaming that he was abducted by aliens who told him Mitch McConnell is a Sith lord, I would be like "Yep, that makes sense."

I can only hope the shock value has worn off and fatigue set in to those who were somehow attracted to the novelty of a literally retarded president as much as it has to those of us who always thought it would be a disaster.

Note the date on this tweet...

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies