COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:36:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 266054 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: April 20, 2020, 05:46:07 PM »

Called it: https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/covid-19-studies-many-recovered-patients-have-no-or-very-low-antibody-counts-risking-reinfections
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 05:55:01 PM »

Also, antibodies are not even close to the only immunity mechanism the body has anyhow.

But it's the measurement being used to reopen the economies.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 08:09:11 AM »

Yeah I'm in total despair.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 08:19:13 AM »

I really shouldn't have to explain.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 08:58:40 AM »

Of course not, but if there is anything, in particular, that is paining you you can always let someone know.

You want to know what's causing it? I suggest you look at everything posted on this thread.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 10:42:44 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks that Gilead is just leaking results so they can pump their stock prices?

I just have zero faith that anything works at this point.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 01:30:18 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks that Gilead is just leaking results so they can pump their stock prices?

Ur like the opposite of Donald Trump's Toupe

Thats a pretty big compliment.

But seriosuly, I have absolutely no faith that anything will actually work at this point.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 03:29:54 AM »

Ur like the opposite of Donald Trump's Toupe

Thats a pretty big compliment.

But seriosuly, I have absolutely no faith that anything will actually work at this point.
Hope springs eternal in the breast of man. =)

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 12:23:22 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2020, 12:27:22 AM by GoTfan »

Called it: https://time.com/5826618/remdesivir-leaked-data-who-website/

Remdesivir has failed its clinical trial. Looks like i was actually right about Gilead just wanting to pump up stock prices. What a shock.

The SEC should investigate them immediately.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 09:07:56 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2020, 09:13:16 AM by GoTfan »

Why is no one talking about the fact that remdesivir has been proven to be snake oil?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 09:15:58 AM »

Not from what I saw. Everyone from the medi to this very forum was hyping it up as the treat ment that would absolutely, 100% work.

Now it's a proven failure. Trials with it should be healted so we don't waste time and Gilead should be investigated by the SEC for market manipulation.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 09:21:03 AM »

Not from what I saw. Everyone from the medi to this very forum was hyping it up as the treat ment that would absolutely, 100% work.

Now it's a proven failure. Trials with it should be healted so we don't waste time and Gilead should be investigated by the SEC for market manipulation.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far.  That study was inconclusive, but ISTR that there are others underway - by all means let them continue.  I think it's clear that remdesivir isn't a magic bullet (but it was always overly optimistic to think that it was), but it may still be helpful in some circumstances.

Letting them continue is a waste of time and money. Gilead has been proven to be untrustworthy now and they should be investigated.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 09:54:39 AM »

As much as anything, how much time and resource has been wasted on doing massive studies of some of these drugs on the basis of them being hyped of the back of dodgy or methodologically unsound initial studies?

Too much, and Gilead has been at the centre of it all after they claimed that remdesivir was a wonder drug that would definitely work.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 10:48:55 AM »

"I see the disenfectant knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we could do something like that? By... injection inside or... almost a cleaning, cause you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number and so I'd be interested to check that"

Denaturation and oxidation of healthy living cells.  Throwing off the very delicate pH balance of the blood and potentially inducing metabolic alkalosis.  A cascade of alkali necrosis as the agent enters the bloodstream.  

Good. Lord.  

You are Fake news!!!!

I can't tell if this is ironic or not. If it is, bravo. If not, consider that you've just told a med student that she's fake news.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 08:36:27 AM »

My girlfriend's in Oklahoma. How are they faring?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 05:05:52 PM »

From the linked article:

Those hopes were dampened somewhat on Thursday, when details from a Chinese remdesivir trial in patients with severe COVID-19 inadvertently released by the World Health Organization suggested it provided no benefit.

Gilead pushed back on that interpretation saying the study, which was stopped early due to low patient enrollment, cannot provide meaningful conclusions.

Of course they wuld push back on it. It's in their financial interest to do so.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2020, 05:11:34 PM »

Of course they wuld push back on it. It's in their financial interest to do so.

Yeah, I mean, I agree with that. Gilead has a history of corporate scumbaggery, anyway. I was just pointing it out since TSA asked.

it's why I'm having an exceptionally hard time believing them.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 10:47:19 PM »

Confirmation that the virus is airborne:

https://health-press.news/2020/04/27/dutch-researchers-from-erasmus-mc-research-confirms-coronavirus-can-be-transferred-via-the-air-endmedia-healthpress-news/
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2020, 10:52:10 PM »

Dude, the article says "via droplets within a meter if the cougher/sneezer/breather descending through the air via gravity", not "aerosol floating in the air for hours"? We already knew this.

You need to calm down and be rational. Or, at least, be rational about this.

It has also been detected on air pollution particles: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/24/coronavirus-detected-particles-air-pollution
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2020, 12:12:53 AM »

From the article:

That has enabled them to leap ahead and schedule tests of their new coronavirus vaccine involving more than 6,000 people by the end of next month, hoping to show not only that it is safe, but also that it works.

The Oxford scientists now say that with an emergency approval from regulators, the first few million doses of their vaccine could be available by September — at least several months ahead of any of the other announced efforts — if it proves to be effective.

Fun-Fact: Debates about animal testing aside (I'm not a big fan, but reluctantly understand the reasoning), Rhesus Monkeys share about ninety-five percent of genetic material with humans - hence why they're so often used in testing. 

I see this as wishful thinking at best. They're going to test it for five months then rush it out and damn the consequences?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2020, 10:52:58 AM »

Meanwhile we're plunging into another Great Depression. That frightens me most of all.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 09:20:45 AM »

Now they are saying we may be dealing with this for several more years. Are we still planning to shut the economy down into the mid 2020s now?

And after that I bet we will shut the economy down every winter due to seasonal cold and flu until 2030 when we are all required to wear hazmat suits everywhere.

We are men of science Jimmie, we fear no worldly terror. Pitch that attitude skyward lad, sharpish!

New Zealand and South Australia are talking about elimination.

https://7news.com.au/travel/coronavirus-australia-sa-wa-and-nt-flagged-as-potential-international-travel-hubs-c-1008979

Once summer hits in the US, your numbers will drop dramatically.

And in great news for teachers, UK scientists are yet to find any cases involving child to adult transmission:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/29/no-case-child-passing-coronavirus-adult-exists-evidence-review/

So something about children makes them less capable of hosting the virus. These are both very positive outcomes.

It's already a fact that hot weather does not stop the virus. if it was, then the virus wouldn't exists in places like Singapore.

And then there's this:

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/expert-report-predicts-up-to-two-more-years-of-pandemic-misery/
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2020, 07:04:48 PM »

I still don't understand the logic behind the Oxford 'vaccine'. In 6 weeks they know if it's effective? And they know it's safe by September?

Then why, pray tell, do we spend years on vaccines?

I'm still of the belief that we'll never get one.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2020, 07:35:50 PM »

Bad idea.

I still don't understand the logic behind the Oxford 'vaccine'. In 6 weeks they know if it's effective? And they know it's safe by September?

Well what the Oxford vaccine they already were working on a MERS vaccine and we're doing pretty good with it so they just used the base and made it for covid-19 vaccines take a long time because usually they don't have the funding and they don't have enough people to trial test them on but during the pandemic when you have unlimited funding and volunteers you can rush it

I still won't be getting it injected until it's been trialled properly, which 5 months cannot do.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2020, 08:04:45 PM »

Bad idea.

Well what the Oxford vaccine they already were working on a MERS vaccine and we're doing pretty good with it so they just used the base and made it for covid-19 vaccines take a long time because usually they don't have the funding and they don't have enough people to trial test them on but during the pandemic when you have unlimited funding and volunteers you can rush it

I still won't be getting it injected until it's been trialled properly, which 5 months cannot do.

You seem to be extremely pessimistic about this pandemic. And you're not the only one. While I certainly don't think we can take this lightly, and must impose all precautions that are practical and reasonable, I also think that the people who are on the extremes-those who believe this pandemic constitutes the end of human society as we know it, and those who believe that it is all a hoax-are operating beyond the realm of plausibility. Worrying too much about this isn't good for your mental health, and it isn't good for that of others.

I'm pessimistic because I've been alive long enough to know that hoping for anything is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies