COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:52:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 265 266 267 [268] 269 270 271 272 273 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 542195 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6675 on: September 04, 2021, 06:54:58 AM »

Australia (NSW and VIC) just had the highest two days of infections since the outbreak began.

We have about 4-6 weeks to wait before the warm weather comes back and the vaccinations start to take effect.

It will be interesting to find out if natural immunity to COVID-19 is more long lasting than Pfizer, Moderna or Astra Zeneca.

The people who have already been infected will be OK.

People who are vaccinated will be OK.

And then the humid Australian summer massively reduces transmission rates outdoors.

The weather at first helped and Florida but now it’s not.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6676 on: September 04, 2021, 08:10:38 AM »

There isn’t a good choice for the Biden administration here. Unlike last year, shutdowns are not justified given the existence of the vaccine, but he challenge is still getting people to take it. As much as I want a vaccine mandate, it wouldn’t work.

It’s time to consider a reverse disinformation campaign with Facebook and YouTube. The idea is to argue that liberals made the Delta variant and/or that the liberals want to discredit the Trump vaccine to keep masks forever. It’s not ethical, but it’s probably one of the more effective ways at doing this.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6677 on: September 04, 2021, 12:02:10 PM »

Resistance libs getting up in arms about this video without realizing that Virginia Tech has a vaccine mandate.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6678 on: September 04, 2021, 12:06:25 PM »

This is one of the best responses on this topic I've seen:

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6679 on: September 04, 2021, 12:10:38 PM »

Resistance libs getting up in arms about this video without realizing that Virginia Tech has a vaccine mandate.

This is what you can do with a vaccine mandate.
compucomp

« Reply #6680 on: September 04, 2021, 12:20:05 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2021, 12:24:31 PM by compucomp »

snipped tweet

The stadium is open to the public, did they impose the mandate on everyone? Did they check the vaccine card at the door? I highly doubt it.

I didn't say the stadium should have been closed, there are economic costs to that which at this point nobody has the will to pay. But it's clearly a highly risky activity and people who want to avoid catching COVID-19 should stay away. It's entirely reasonable for public health officials to message against it and discourage people from attending. People who attend do so at their own risk, there are plenty of allowed activities that involve taking on personal risk.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6681 on: September 04, 2021, 12:26:43 PM »

The stadium is open to the public, did they impose the mandate on everyone? Did they check the vaccine card at the door? I highly doubt it.

I didn't say the stadium should have been closed, there are economic costs to that which at this point nobody has the will to pay. But it's clearly a highly risky activity and people who want to avoid catching COVID-19 should stay away. It's entirely reasonable for public health officials to message against it and discourage people from attending. People who attend do so at their own risk, there are plenty of allowed activities that involve taking on personal risk.

Guess what? People die in car accidents. People die from bee stings. People die from alcohol poisoning. People die from falling down stairs. Risk is inherently a part of life.
compucomp

« Reply #6682 on: September 04, 2021, 12:39:26 PM »

Guess what? People die in car accidents. People die from bee stings. People die from alcohol poisoning. People die from falling down stairs. Risk is inherently a part of life.

Then you should not oppose public health officials when they say large gatherings are still unsafe and that people should stay away. They are informing the public of the risk so that each person can make his/her own decision. The social distancing restrictions are gone. People are free to attend the football game if they want.

But it seems you want to silence the voices that will inform the public of the risk and instead claim that the event is safe; you're basically a Trumpist with that kind of logic.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6683 on: September 04, 2021, 01:52:53 PM »

There isn’t a good choice for the Biden administration here. Unlike last year, shutdowns are not justified given the existence of the vaccine, but he challenge is still getting people to take it. As much as I want a vaccine mandate, it wouldn’t work.

It’s time to consider a reverse disinformation campaign with Facebook and YouTube. The idea is to argue that liberals made the Delta variant and/or that the liberals want to discredit the Trump vaccine to keep masks forever. It’s not ethical, but it’s probably one of the more effective ways at doing this.

At this point, I don't think there is really much more that can be done other than to embrace the carnage. Try and look on the bright side. At least most of the anti-vaxxers who are dying are Republicans. So while it is sad when anyone dies needlessly, at least over the long run this will mean fewer Republican votes.

https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/

https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward/

https://hermancainmedal.com/

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/herman-cain-awards

So tbh the best thing - not purely out of desperation/resignation at there being nothing else you can really do - but also if you genuinely want there to be fewer deaths, may well be to gloat at the deaths, because if Conservatives see a huge number of progressives gloating at how all the Republicans are dying, then they might take the vaccine just in order to prevent progressives from being able to continue to gloat. Sounds sort of like a way to own the libs. Maybe the new Conservative boomer facebook meme could be something like: Ha, take that lib, I got vaxxed, didn't die!
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #6684 on: September 04, 2021, 02:28:53 PM »

snipped tweet

This is my school!  As I mentioned earlier, we have a vaccine mandate and a test positivity of 1.3%.
 And it is an -outdoor- event!  This is -not- a high risk activity.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6685 on: September 04, 2021, 03:05:09 PM »

snipped tweet

This is my school!  As I mentioned earlier, we have a vaccine mandate and a test positivity of 1.3%.

Want to mention that just because it's "an outdoor event" doesn't make it safe and remove all "risk."
These people are shoulder to shoulder and screaming.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6686 on: September 04, 2021, 03:06:25 PM »

Video: Tucker Carlson defends fake vaccine cards.

Click here to watch ... https://us.cnn.com/videos/media/2021/09/04/tucker-carlson-fake-vaccine-cards-schaffner-nr-vpx.cnn
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #6687 on: September 04, 2021, 03:07:28 PM »

Why is the crowd at Virginia Tech such a surprise? Go to any college campus and see that people don't care anymore.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6688 on: September 04, 2021, 03:07:48 PM »

snipped tweet

Want to mention that just because it's "an outdoor event" doesn't make it safe and remove all "risk."

There's a vaccine mandate in place. Stop telling fully vaccinated Americans how to have fun.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6689 on: September 04, 2021, 03:16:34 PM »

snipped tweet

There's a vaccine mandate in place. Stop telling fully vaccinated Americans how to have fun.

Where do you see me saying that people should "stop having fun"?
You constantly add BS to people comments, when there is no such words.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6690 on: September 04, 2021, 03:21:04 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2021, 03:25:19 PM by Skill and Chance »

We're in this weird intermediate state now.  My primary concern is keeping the rate of mutation slow enough that the vaccines still work reliably for a safe Thanksgiving dinner with grandma.

As I've said before, the big test will be whether COVID takes off in the Northeast between now and Thanksgiving.  If it does, I fear this is never really going to end.   

There has been something of a "wall" in VA  vs. all the surrounding Southern states exploding in cases.  If that's because of the higher vaccination rates, it would be great  news.  But it could also be seasonality or state level reporting effects (I recall VA conducted relatively few tests per capita for part of last year).
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #6691 on: September 04, 2021, 03:38:33 PM »

snipped tweet

I didn’t say there was -no- risk.  Nothing is ever -no- risk.  I said it wasn’t high risk.  Vaccinated people socializing outside is not high risk. 
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6692 on: September 04, 2021, 03:57:39 PM »

It's interesting how much lower vaccination rates are in Oregon and Colorado vs. most of the NE.  Are they running into the more traditional organic granola anti-vax types in Oregon?   

Florida continues to be the only above average Trump state.  Texas is getting close and had quite an upswing recently, so it might get there this month.

Virginia really stands out vs. the rest of the South, but VA doesn't provide county level data, so this could just be because the D.C. area is at 85% or something.

New Mexico has the most impressive performance outside of the NE states. 

South Dakota is doing way better than North Dakota.

Kentucky is doing particularly well compared to its neighbors.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6693 on: September 04, 2021, 04:05:47 PM »

It's interesting how much lower vaccination rates are in Oregon and Colorado vs. most of the NE.  Are they running into the more traditional organic granola anti-vax types in Oregon?   

Florida continues to be the only above average Trump state.  Texas is getting close and had quite an upswing recently, so it might get there this month.

Virginia really stands out vs. the rest of the South, but VA doesn't provide county level data, so this could just be because the D.C. area is at 85% or something.

Andy Beshear.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6694 on: September 04, 2021, 04:07:45 PM »

Latinos really are doing an amazing job with getting vaccinated and across the board. From Miami Dade, to the RGV and New Mexico, they have been doing really well. (And of course Puerto Rico)
rosin
Rookie
Denmark

« Reply #6695 on: September 04, 2021, 04:49:18 PM »

He's behaving more and more like a cartoon villain.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6696 on: September 04, 2021, 05:13:00 PM »

I suspect at least part of this lies in how hard hit the Northeast was in the first wave, especially New York.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6697 on: September 04, 2021, 07:22:25 PM »

Andy Beshear.

Not sure about the Dem Gov explanation, considering Louisiana was one of the very lowest in the country until last month and lower than several of its neighbors.  Kansas and Nebraska are the same.
 NC is doing several % better than its neighbors, though, including Georgia.  So maybe?

Among Trump states, vaccination rates actually seem to be highest in the ones that took a completely hands-off approach to COVID (SD, FL, IA, TX recently).  Perhaps this scared people who were on the fence enough to go out and get the shot?  Some of the stricter R Governor Trump states (ID, IN, OH, WV) aren't doing well at all in vaccination rates.  OH is at 53% at least one shot while PA is at 70%!
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6698 on: September 04, 2021, 07:41:50 PM »

As much as I hate to give Mitch McConnell credit for doing anything good... He did suffer from Polio as a child, and consequently is pretty pro-vaccine.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/28/mcconnell-to-run-pro-vaccine-ads-to-combat-misinformation/

His support for vaccination (including apparently running ads encouraging vaccination using his own campaign funds) might perhaps be helping persuade some Kentucky R voters who otherwise would not have been vaccinated.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6699 on: September 05, 2021, 04:30:55 AM »

Some risks are necessary and some are pointless. The best risk-takers are the ones capable of assessing how to mitigate risks or how to calculate risks better than some common wisdom. Consider the supposedly daring stunt of driving a vehicle from one ramp to another. As long as one has adequate speed while leaving one ramp and precise direction, one will get to the next ramp because gravity is highly predictable.     
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 265 266 267 [268] 269 270 271 272 273 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies