Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:31:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 [135] 136 137 138 139 140 ... 1169
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 911168 times)
Omega21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3350 on: February 26, 2022, 04:56:32 PM »

Can’t Ukraine launch a counter attack on the airport?

With the Chechens & Russians there, highly doubt it, as I am not sure they can afford to extend forces that wide around Kyiv.

They do have some lighter AA in the city itself (Strela 10s) and maybe even medium range (BUK etc.), so it might make a Russian air landing costly.

At what point does this stop? By the time this is all over with, the precedents set today will be used as justification for genocide tomorrow. Your worries are understandable, and I know full well this is a risky move…but the alternative is simply just as bad, if not worse. We face a critical decision today, do we take a huge risk now, or do we punt the football to the next generation and the next, with the world becoming progressively more bleak with each passing year?

I mean, no, the alternative is not as bad.

There is a reason all the people surrounding your President who know their sh**t in terms of geopolitcs and defense arent even daring to mention this.

A nuclear war, or a very very serious risk of nuclear war, is not worse than Kiev being bombed.

Yes, Nukes are the trump card and allow you to do horrible things without real risk of those things being done to you, but thats simply the sad post Nuclear reality. Reality is not fair, just, or good, it simply is so.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3351 on: February 26, 2022, 04:56:44 PM »

Just heard on CNN that Russia has destroyed the dam northwest of Kiev.

Is there another Source?

I think I already read this earlier this morning or heard it on radio.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3352 on: February 26, 2022, 04:56:51 PM »

Is there another Source?

Haven't seen anything yet on my regular subscription outlets (NYT, WP, WSJ) nor on the CNN website.

Could be that I misheard or it was framed as a hypothetical or misinformation crept in from Ukranian gvt sources?

Would imagine if true we would see this story gain more traction....

Take with giant bucket of salt, but certainly if Russia were to destroy the dam would be significant civilian impacts...
Western media sources are particularly susceptible to Ukrainian govt misinformation. But I don't think this can be completely ruled out either. Fog of war makes a lot of things unclear, as you and I both know.
It is not unheard of for dams or similar things to be attacked and destroyed in times of war. I remember hearing that in 1940, the Dutch burst their dikes in a desperate attempt to keep the Nazis from sweeping through their country. Of course, that's not an apples-to-apples comparison to this, just a sign to the imaginativeness in dealing destruction that humans can wield when war occurs.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3353 on: February 26, 2022, 04:56:51 PM »

We should sanction the hell out of Belarus too and fund a potential coop there

Doesn't Belarus still have farmer cooperatives from the old Soviet days?
Wouldn't surprise me.
Lukashenka has long tried to maintain stability relative to the Soviet status quo.
Speaking of Belarus, one drunk Belarusian soldier (accidentally?) walked into Ukraine.

Someone had too much vodka...

Good thing that Ukranian Vodka these days are all going towards molotov cocktails and not into the gullets of the Ukranian Military and Civilian and Paramilitary defenders.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3354 on: February 26, 2022, 04:57:05 PM »

Buratinos were seen entering Ukraine today. I hope to God they will not be used on cities.

Unlike other MLRS systems, it is a heavy thermobaric weapon .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiqS_k754oQ
It’s time to declare war. This is an inexcusable crime against humanity, and if we do not act now, we forever set the precedent that countries with nuclear weapons can massacre whomever they please with no tangible repercussions.

No reports yet of them being used on urban areas, and I hope it stays that way, but I guess we will see.

Anyway, you are understandably emotional about this, but frying the entire human race with nukes is no better alternative to this.
At what point does this stop? By the time this is all over with, the precedents set today will be used as justification for genocide tomorrow. Your worries are understandable, and I know full well this is a risky move…but the alternative is simply just as bad, if not worse. We face a critical decision today, do we take a huge risk now, or do we punt the football to the next generation and the next, with the world becoming progressively more bleak with each passing year?

Pretty much. Since about the early 2000s, it’s becoming a situation where we need to take a dump or get off the toilet before the decision is made for us.
urutzizu
« Reply #3355 on: February 26, 2022, 04:59:41 PM »

Germany is implementing closing airspace to Russia, ahead of imminent EU decision. As with the Eastern European Countries+UK which implement it already, it will almost certainly lead to a reciprocal response from Russia.

It is absolutely massive for global travel. This means that flights to Asia are going to get longer and more expensive. It also will be a massive boost for Istanbul/Turkish Airlines and Qatar/Emirates, because the Transit traffic will go that way. But most importantly, even during the cold war there was direct flight traffic between the western bloc and the east. It ends tomorrow.

(It could be that they get around this by permitting non-russian, non-european carriers to serve the route directly, but usually this is not allowed)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3356 on: February 26, 2022, 05:00:35 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2022, 05:10:31 PM by Storr »

Kyiv's importance as the capital aside, this map illustrates:

1. The importance of successfully defending Chernihiv has in limiting the number of routes available to the Russians when advancing toward Kyiv.  

2. Just how vital it is for the Ukrainians to stop the Russian advance in the south from linking up with the separatist regions
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3357 on: February 26, 2022, 05:01:44 PM »

We should sanction the hell out of Belarus too and fund a potential coop there

Doesn't Belarus still have farmer cooperatives from the old Soviet days?
Wouldn't surprise me.
Lukashenka has long tried to maintain stability relative to the Soviet status quo.
Speaking of Belarus, one drunk Belarusian soldier (accidentally?) walked into Ukraine.

<tweet snip>
Someone had too much vodka...
Evidently Putin is (likely?) planning to bring the Belarusian military into the war. Presumably its forces would be used for an attack on western Ukraine from Belarus. I can't imagine Belarusian morale is all that great currently. I'd get drunk too, to be honest.
Belarus going into the war would probably be a net negative for Russia, if we're being honest with ourselves. Friendly neutral Belarus means Russia has a safe zone that Ukraine can't go in, which could make for a lot if Ukraine does a very good job defending. Ukraine is very unlikely to provoke Belarus, so it's probably safe to assume that Belarus is only going to enter the war if Russia asks such.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3358 on: February 26, 2022, 05:02:43 PM »

Is there another Source?

I think I already read this earlier this morning or heard it on radio.

Well sounds like a Russia missile headed for the dam was shot down 11 hours ago... so not implausible since sounds like Russia has it on their target list of acceptable military options.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/ukraine-says-russian-missile-headed-for-water-reservoir-near-kyiv-shot-down/
Omega21

« Reply #3359 on: February 26, 2022, 05:03:10 PM »

Unconfirmed, season with a bit of salt.

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3360 on: February 26, 2022, 05:03:43 PM »

Some more details are coming out about the third sanction package the EU is working on. Apparently, it's not only an exclusion of Swift, EU also seeks to freeze all foreign exchange reserves of the Russian Central Bank and oligarchs, making their money worthless. This is definitely big stuff.

(I'm sorry this is in German, just couldn't find a report in English that quick).

They should also sanction the oligarch's children. Most of them attend western universities and them being forced back to Russia would hurt their oligarch parents.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3361 on: February 26, 2022, 05:04:35 PM »

Ten people of "Greek origin" were killed by airstrikes per New York Times:

Ten civilians “of Greek origin” were killed by Russian airstrikes near the city of Mariupol, on Ukraine’s southeastern coast, Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis of Greece said on Twitter. “Stop the bombing now!” he wrote. Earlier Saturday, Greece’s Foreign Ministry summoned Russia’s ambassador in Athens.

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3362 on: February 26, 2022, 05:05:19 PM »

Wait now I’m seeing on Twitter that Kadyrov just posted a video saying that they are “pulling out of Russia’s war”
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3363 on: February 26, 2022, 05:05:51 PM »

Wait now I’m seeing on Twitter that Kadyrov just posted a video saying that they are “pulling out of Russia’s war”
Could be fake.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3364 on: February 26, 2022, 05:06:10 PM »

They should also sanction the oligarch's children. Most of them attend western universities and them being forced back to Russia would hurt their oligarch parents.

I would support this, provided that it isn't expanded to what the stupidest human being in the country proposed recently.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3365 on: February 26, 2022, 05:06:42 PM »

Thread by Estonian member of the European Parliment and former head of Estonian armed forces:

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3366 on: February 26, 2022, 05:08:10 PM »

I would support this, provided that it isn't expanded to what the stupidest human being in the country proposed recently.
WTF
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3367 on: February 26, 2022, 05:09:39 PM »

Unconfirmed, season with a bit of salt.

It might be beginning…(the cyber war)
Omega21

« Reply #3368 on: February 26, 2022, 05:10:21 PM »

Could be propaganda.

IF, by some miracle, it is true, that is a huge blow to Putin. Kadyrow has been one of his most loyal supporters.

But we really need to wait for more info on this.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3369 on: February 26, 2022, 05:14:24 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2022, 08:38:10 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

Buratinos were seen entering Ukraine today. I hope to God they will not be used on cities.

Unlike other MLRS systems, it is a heavy thermobaric weapon .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiqS_k754oQ
It’s time to declare war. This is an inexcusable crime against humanity, and if we do not act now, we forever set the precedent that countries with nuclear weapons can massacre whomever they please with no tangible repercussions.

No reports yet of them being used on urban areas, and I hope it stays that way, but I guess we will see.

Anyway, you are understandably emotional about this, but frying the entire human race with nukes is no better alternative to this.

The precedent of MLRS usage in urban areas is much older than this war.
Omega21

« Reply #3370 on: February 26, 2022, 05:21:00 PM »

Reminder:

Remain hopeful, but not naive

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3371 on: February 26, 2022, 05:21:19 PM »

urutzizu
« Reply #3372 on: February 26, 2022, 05:24:08 PM »

It's happening:

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/STATEMENT_22_1423

European Commission, France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States joint statement:

The following measures will be brought forward:
1) Disconnection of certain Russian banks from SWIFT
2) Russia central bank assets paralized
3) Russian oligarchs assets frozen on EU market
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3373 on: February 26, 2022, 05:25:15 PM »

Lol
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3374 on: February 26, 2022, 05:29:33 PM »

Reminder:

Remain hopeful, but not naive

It's not really helpful that both sides in this war have many of the same equipment. (Not really surprising, since they both are descended from the Soviet Red Army)
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 [135] 136 137 138 139 140 ... 1169  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies