Manitoba Election 2023 - October 3rd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 02:54:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Manitoba Election 2023 - October 3rd
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Manitoba Election 2023 - October 3rd  (Read 8440 times)
Harlow

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2023, 08:25:47 PM »

I wonder if one thing got picked up on. Although Premier Stefanson didn't give a specific timeline, at one point near the end of the debate she proudly said something like "Manitoba is on its way to 2 million people." I not only wondered if she was completely out of touch with the consequences of rapid population growth but I was concerned about her mental health.

Edit to add: not only has she put a timeline on it, she's even campaigning on it:
PC Leader Heather Stefanson's election promise to grow the province to two million people by 2030 if her party forms government after the Oct. 3 provincial election is an ambitious goal, according to experts. Katherine Dornian reports.

Manitoba's population is currently 1.44 million which in itself is an increase of, I think, around 250,000 in a decade, which seems to have worked out quite well. But, this goal is for an increase of around 90,000 a year.

Hasn't she learned by now that just because something is good that more of it is not necessarily better?

She must be balmy.
Interesting, because this would pretty much require a huge surge in immigration--not the sort of thing her base would want.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2023, 06:08:21 AM »

I wonder if one thing got picked up on. Although Premier Stefanson didn't give a specific timeline, at one point near the end of the debate she proudly said something like "Manitoba is on its way to 2 million people." I not only wondered if she was completely out of touch with the consequences of rapid population growth but I was concerned about her mental health.

Concerned for her mental health because she wants to grow / round up the population?  This is a common thing in Canada, wanting to round population up, or appear to be bigger than reality.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2023, 10:09:16 AM »
« Edited: September 29, 2023, 01:06:33 PM by Hatman 🍁 »

I brought up the landfill issue earlier in this thread, and now it looks like the PCs are - in desperate fashion - making it an issue to try and get back in this race. I guess they think there is some traction?
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2023, 12:32:11 PM »

Brutal review of the PCs campaign

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/2023/09/28/tories-tumble-into-deep-dark-hole-at-the-end-of-campaign-trail
DL
Canada

« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2023, 12:42:33 PM »

I brought the landfill issue earlier in this thread, and now it looks like the PCs are - in desperate fashion - making it an issue to try and get back in this race. I guess they think there is some traction?

...or they are circling the drain and madly grasping at straws
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2023, 01:06:48 PM »

I brought the landfill issue earlier in this thread, and now it looks like the PCs are - in desperate fashion - making it an issue to try and get back in this race. I guess they think there is some traction?

...or they are circling the drain and madly grasping at straws

didn't say they weren't!
warandwar
United States

« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2023, 05:55:55 PM »

I brought up the landfill issue earlier in this thread, and now it looks like the PCs are - in desperate fashion - making it an issue to try and get back in this race. I guess they think there is some traction?

I get resentment politics, I get the whole "anti-woke" thing has a base, but I really have trouble believing people are desperate for someone who will finally stand up to the woke mob and refuse to exhume two murdered girls.
DL
Canada

« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2023, 12:45:53 PM »

Prediction time. I think the Manitoba NDP will win big and it will not be close. Seat count will likely be as follows:

NDP - 34 seats
PCs - 22 seats
Libs - 1 seat
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2023, 03:30:36 PM »

Unexpected $270 budget surplus posted in 2022/23 fiscal year. Honestly not sure if this helps the PCs as the incumbent government, hurts them due to their affinity for austerity, or if it's too close to election day for anybody to care.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2023, 04:18:31 PM »

The PCs be like: we don't just want to be the healthcare mismanagement party, we want to be the a**hole party too!
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2023, 10:05:27 PM »

I get resentment politics, I get the whole "anti-woke" thing has a base, but I really have trouble believing people are desperate for someone who will finally stand up to the woke mob and refuse to exhume two murdered girls.
Spending 200 million dollars on doing that is simply absurd. There's no way to justify it unless you think resources can magically pop out of existence.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2023, 10:22:55 PM »

Spending 200 million dollars on doing that is simply absurd. There's no way to justify it unless you think resources can magically pop out of existence.

I mean i doubt it would be nearly so expensive, but your point is moot because that's not even PC rationale. Look at the image: they are against it "for health and safety reasons", whatever that even means

Huh
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2023, 10:53:13 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2023, 10:59:37 PM by Secretary of State Liberal Hack »

I mean i doubt it would be nearly so expensive, but your point is moot because that's not even PC rationale. Look at the image: they are against it "for health and safety reasons", whatever that even means

Huh
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/study-finds-search-for-womens-remains-at-landfill-could-take-years-cost-up-to-184m
It's pretty obvious that it's reference to the fact that searching the landfill isn't risk free, it exposes the workers put on it to danger from machinery as well toxic chemicals.

And the PCs are bringing up cost as part of the reason it's a pretty good argument too regarding the NDPs lack of fiscal responsibility if they're willing to waste money like this.
Why are you willing to put $184 million and Manitoba workers at risk for a search without a guarantee?" she asked, making reference to the maximum cost
adma
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2023, 06:59:20 AM »

And the PCs are bringing up cost as part of the reason it's a pretty good argument too regarding the NDPs lack of fiscal responsibility if they're willing to waste money like this.

So sort of like a "principled left/woke" version of "Build The Wall".
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2023, 09:25:45 AM »

Huh
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/study-finds-search-for-womens-remains-at-landfill-could-take-years-cost-up-to-184m
It's pretty obvious that it's reference to the fact that searching the landfill isn't risk free, it exposes the workers put on it to danger from machinery as well toxic chemicals.

Why are you willing to put $184 million and Manitoba workers at risk for a search without a guarantee?" she asked, making reference to the maximum cost

Should mining be banned? It exposes miners to dangerous machinery, after all.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2023, 09:26:44 AM »

Oh, this is a race thing isn't it.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2023, 07:12:07 PM »

Huh

Should mining be banned? It exposes miners to dangerous machinery, after all.
In Canada it mostly doesn't, there's a huge difference in safety between mordern mining and shifting through a dump.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2023, 09:34:50 AM »

I'm personally expecting the NDP to underperform in the popular vote, but overperform in the number of seats that they win with said vote, when compared to what models like 338 say they should be winning. Basically, in de facto duopolistic contests, the parties to the left of the system (varies in the provinces) have found their coalition of voters to be getting more efficient and concentrated.

But I don't know where this stacks up in actual percentages cause there has been no public polling in two whole weeks!
DL
Canada

« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2023, 09:47:19 AM »

I'm amazed at how little polling there has been in Manitoba - its a hotly contested election and no polls in the second half of the campaign - though I expect that Forum will do their usual poll drop at midnight tonight. Its true that Manitoba is not a big province - but I think there was way more polling in the last Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and even PEI elections!

That being said, judging from the tactics the parties are employing in the final week its pretty clear that both the PCs and the NDP know that the NDP has a significant lead.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2023, 11:10:05 AM »

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6983946

So, the Tories have got to the “don’t be ashamed to vote for us” level of desperation? Jeez their campaign went south fast
warandwar
United States

« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2023, 04:32:17 PM »

The Manitoba PCs - "Everybodys gone to the movies/now we're alone at last"
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2023, 05:37:34 PM »

Hey, finally some polling data:

There isn't actually that much of a swing here compared to previous polls from the firms. More undecideds and liberals going NDP at the end.
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2023, 08:45:59 PM »

There isn't actually that much of a swing here compared to previous polls from the firms. More undecideds and liberals going NDP at the end.

I have to wonder if the PCs running such an abysmal campaign is drawing Liberal/Green voters to the NDP or if it's just the prospect of the NDP forming government that's consolidating the opposition. For what its worth, I'm beginning to wonder if polls showing that the NDP have it in the bag might lead people to stick with their alternate choice or to stay home. On that note, also forecasting rain in Winnipeg tomorrow. Apparently early voting cracked 200k ballots but I always wonder if the weather on election day really affects things or if that's just apocryphal.
DL
Canada

« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2023, 10:16:03 PM »

Keep in mind that the Greens are only running candidates in 7 out of 57 ridings - so their vote was always going to evaporate.

The Manitoba Liberals just don't have any raison d'etre. They don't have a full slate of candidates. Their leader is very uninspiring and as a "centrist" party they don't really own any issue. Why would anyone vote for them when they can vote NDP?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2023, 10:56:01 PM »

Forum has not polled the race before, so less relevant than the other two.

Their translation of votes to seats seems extreme,  but it's kinda what I alluded to above.  Electoral sorting of the partisan coalitions has seemingly made the duopolistic left party more efficient at converting votes to seats, as seen most recently in Alberta.

I personally would no be surprised if the overall vote resembled this poll and the PCs only ended up with a few more seats than they projected, but that's my opinion.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies