UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:03:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 125 ... 236
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 260038 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2975 on: February 02, 2023, 01:05:36 PM »

Well here we are

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2976 on: February 03, 2023, 03:14:22 AM »

Im very very confused why there’s talk of Truss relaunching some weird backbench group of 50 MPs.

Do they really not remember what she did to their opinion polling and how awful she was? I was believed she needed to stay in post for much longer purely so the party could actually get it into their thick skull how awful her project was.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #2977 on: February 03, 2023, 05:07:59 AM »

Im very very confused why there’s talk of Truss relaunching some weird backbench group of 50 MPs.

Do they really not remember what she did to their opinion polling and how awful she was? I was believed she needed to stay in post for much longer purely so the party could actually get it into their thick skull how awful her project was.
John Rentoul of all people wrote a  "Was Liz Truss right" article a few days ago.
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/liz-truss-tax-cuts-rishi-sunak-b2272880.html

Imagine how badly Sunak's doing for his arch supporters to regret it so much that Liz Truss starts to look better by comparison.

Which is not surprising, Sunak is so bad the only way he could win the post of PM was being the only candidate.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2978 on: February 03, 2023, 05:54:00 AM »

Why on earth would it be surprising that John Rentoul had an extremely stupid opinion?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2979 on: February 03, 2023, 06:15:52 AM »

It is amusing to see the author of Questions to which the answer is "No!" asking that question.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2980 on: February 03, 2023, 07:43:01 AM »

Why on earth would it be surprising that John Rentoul had an extremely stupid opinion?

And why is he still regularly cited as a "centre-left" political commentator?
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #2981 on: February 03, 2023, 07:49:08 AM »

John Rent-a-quote
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2982 on: February 03, 2023, 01:52:29 PM »

My favourite throwback from him was his months long tirade against Keir Starmer calling Boris a liar

He voted for Boris Johnson as Mayor. Twice! In a system that made it very easy to protest vote.

I don't know why the I keep him on when the rest of their politics team is actually very sharp
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #2983 on: February 03, 2023, 02:22:31 PM »

A thing that needs to be kept in mind:

There will probably be a No-Confidence vote against Sunak in November, the threshold for that has already probably been reached given that it's relatively low, but it cannot trigger in the first year.

Of course the Chairman of the 1922 committee can make things up, to either delay or force the leader out.

Given that he stiched the last contest for Sunak, I guess he sits on the no-confidence letters  like he did with Cameron, May, and Boris, until his own position is threatened (his seat is a gonner at these polling levels).
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2984 on: February 03, 2023, 05:43:01 PM »

Frank Field was back in the Lords today. He announced in 2021 that he was in a hospice so this is quite nice to see, although he's still obviously unwell.

TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2985 on: February 04, 2023, 01:57:35 AM »

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/ks0pzlbs8y/Internal_Favourability_230202.pdf

Latest favourability ratings of various politicians and parties. No one is popular, as usual, and several are outright toxic.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2986 on: February 04, 2023, 04:48:10 AM »

Reports Truss wants to do a Heath and become Leader of the Opposition.

On an aside its funny how in the recent discussions of post Prime Ministerial life Heath and his errrr financial dealings are never mentioned are they?
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2987 on: February 04, 2023, 05:25:39 AM »

Reports Truss wants to do a Heath and become Leader of the Opposition.

On an aside its funny how in the recent discussions of post Prime Ministerial life Heath and his errrr financial dealings are never mentioned are they?

She wouldn't be doing a Heath, she'd be doing a Hague.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2988 on: February 04, 2023, 05:55:22 AM »

Frank Field was back in the Lords today. He announced in 2021 that he was in a hospice so this is quite nice to see, although he's still obviously unwell.

Though it should be mentioned "terminally ill" doesn't automatically mean "at death's door" - as is too often assumed to be the case these days.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2989 on: February 04, 2023, 06:17:19 AM »

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/ks0pzlbs8y/Internal_Favourability_230202.pdf

Latest favourability ratings of various politicians and parties. No one is popular, as usual, and several are outright toxic.

Always a tad amused that the best rated politician in these datasets is just the person with the most “Don’t Know” votes.

Their voting intention numbers from yesterday were pretty eye-catching too - Labour on double the Conservative vote share (Lab 48%, Con 24%), with the gap widening five points from the last poll.

Clearly there’s no appetite (outside Johnson’s inner circle) for PM no.4 in this Parliament, but if Sunak continues to be a) so far behind in the polls, b) sliding further behind, I do wonder what the parliamentary party will do in response.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2990 on: February 04, 2023, 06:27:08 AM »

My favourite throwback from him was his months long tirade against Keir Starmer calling Boris a liar

Also his more recent meltdown when Starmer said that the PM job was "too big" for Sunak.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #2991 on: February 04, 2023, 06:39:12 AM »

Sunak has proved to be crapper than expected (didn't have high expectations to begin with) but surely he's still the best candidate they have? I'm sure he'll get plenty of grief after the local elections but I think the lack of any alternative will keep him in place until the next election.

And the fact Truss is already attempting a comeback is beyond any description, just absurd.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2992 on: February 04, 2023, 07:32:57 AM »

Sunak has proved to be crapper than expected (didn't have high expectations to begin with) but surely he's still the best candidate they have? I'm sure he'll get plenty of grief after the local elections but I think the lack of any alternative will keep him in place until the next election.

And the fact Truss is already attempting a comeback is beyond any description, just absurd.

Yes they haven't realised that while Sunak is not the political gold they once thought he is not the reason they're going to get doors slammed on their face in the locals.

It would very much be like if Labour had made Jack Straw PM in 2009- the issue was and would continue to be the economy and the fact the Governing party looked clapped out and hopeless.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2993 on: February 04, 2023, 07:41:37 AM »

I can see him being replaced, but as a final Hail Mary pass by the Tories if the 2024 local elections and polls remain wretched. It almost certainly won't work, but by that stage they would have little to lose.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #2994 on: February 04, 2023, 11:40:37 AM »

Truss is making her comeback tomorrow with a piece in the Telegraph (of course). She will focus on taxes, and for some reason, China (an issue normal people don’t care about and on which the debate is largely about whether to use harsher rhetoric rather than actual policy).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2995 on: February 04, 2023, 12:25:58 PM »

No, I do not wish to hear the opinions of Jeremy Corbyn on the war in Ukraine, no I do not wish to hear the opinions of Liz Truss on the economy, and, frankly, I'm not sure what the justification is for any sort of media attention on either.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2996 on: February 04, 2023, 01:42:35 PM »

Interested to see how she justifies attacking Jeremy Hunt, a chancellor she appointed to be cautious - for being too cautious.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #2997 on: February 04, 2023, 02:18:32 PM »

No, I do not wish to hear the opinions of Jeremy Corbyn on the war in Ukraine, no I do not wish to hear the opinions of Liz Truss on the economy, and, frankly, I'm not sure what the justification is for any sort of media attention on either.
What reason is there for most of the output of our media, but to gin up outrage?
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #2998 on: February 04, 2023, 02:47:14 PM »

It's always helpful to remind the electorate of the mistakes they've made in ever voting for certain politicians...
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2999 on: February 04, 2023, 03:30:09 PM »

O F L O W E R O S C O T L A N D
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 125 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies