UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:02:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 121 ... 238
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 265738 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2875 on: January 22, 2023, 06:32:05 AM »
« edited: January 22, 2023, 08:55:39 AM by Blair »

Don’t worry R***el J****n is on the Laura K show this morning.

Sums up British politics in a nutshell doesn’t it.

It’s quite fitting the only thing I can remember of any value from her show is Joe Lycett.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2876 on: January 22, 2023, 08:09:25 AM »

It’s white fitting the only thing I can remember of any value from her show is Joe Lycett.

The almost universal "blue tick" horror over that really did tell its own story.

And when he was basically proven correct in all respects within weeks, they simply pretended that it had never even happened.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2877 on: January 22, 2023, 09:35:33 AM »

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2878 on: January 23, 2023, 03:01:56 AM »

I’m starting to think Zahawi might be out- is now on the 4th day of leading the news.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2879 on: January 23, 2023, 04:04:27 AM »
« Edited: January 23, 2023, 06:04:21 AM by Torrain »

Feels possible now - his staff are now reaching out to lobby journalists confirm that he’s not resigning, which is a real “last days of Rome” thing to have to do.

Edit: Sunak says there are “questions to be answered” about Zahawi’s tax affairs, and the independent ethics advisor will investigate. They bypassed “full confidence in the minister” entirely. Can’t see how this ends well for Zahawi now…
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2880 on: January 23, 2023, 09:49:05 AM »

I’m starting to think Zahawi might be out- is now on the 4th day of leading the news.

What's interesting is that for some time there was great reluctance to cover this one in the media, but that abruptly changed last week. One too many legal (or indeed other) threats backfiring?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2881 on: January 25, 2023, 04:48:47 AM »

Hundreds of child asylum seekers have gone missing since July 2021.

Hundreds of child asylum seekers have gone missing since the British government started housing minors in hotels due to a strain on the country’s asylum accommodation system, British Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick told lawmakers in parliament on Tuesday, amid calls for an investigation into the matter.

Jenrick said Tuesday that around 200 children have gone missing since July 2021. “Out of the 4,600 unaccompanied children that have been accommodated in hotels since July 2021, there have been 440 missing occurrences and 200 children still remain missing,” he said.

Approximately 13 of the 200 missing children are under the age of 16, and one is female according to government data. The majority of the missing, 88%, are Albanian nationals, and the remaining 12% are from Afghanistan, Egypt, India, Vietnam, Pakistan and Turkey.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2882 on: January 25, 2023, 07:29:14 AM »

V funny how many Tory backbench questions at PMQs are basically ‘prime minister the public realm is collapsing in my constituency’
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2883 on: January 25, 2023, 08:29:13 AM »

One potential reason Zahawi still has a job - the PM may be uncomfortable setting a precedent where a minister with dodgy tax affairs is forced out on principle.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2884 on: January 25, 2023, 08:43:59 AM »

Sunak still deploying the "but Corbyn" non-defence at PMQs.
afleitch
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2885 on: January 25, 2023, 10:51:24 AM »

Lol

TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #2886 on: January 25, 2023, 02:24:47 PM »

This is probably beating a dead horse, but observe Liz Truss's face in this photo and consider the matter at hand. I wouldn't quite call it a smile, but it certainly isn't solemn either.

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2887 on: January 25, 2023, 03:38:22 PM »

When it rains, it pours - looks like Zahawi’s not the only one in the cabinet who underplayed their political vulnerability:
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #2888 on: January 25, 2023, 04:11:09 PM »

Pretty funny how the Guardian used a picture of Stratford-upon-Avon constituent who looks a bit like William Shakespeare for this article. Even more so if not deliberate, but I feel it just has to be..

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2889 on: January 26, 2023, 03:15:35 AM »

When it rains, it pours - looks like Zahawi’s not the only one in the cabinet who underplayed their political vulnerability:

Part of me wondered whether Sunak would try and remove them both at the same time
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2890 on: January 26, 2023, 05:41:14 AM »

https://mobile.twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1618344250252627968

Part of me wondered whether Sunak would try and remove them both at the same time

Aye. A mini-reshuffle after only three months feels a tad embarassing for the Government, but losing one minister after another to scandal feels considerably worse.

And at least if they go together (preferably dismissed), Sunak could do his "integrity matters to me" thing as an explanation. Far harder to do that if there's a drip-drip of ministerial resignations.

Clearly, the best thing to do would be not hiring MPs with clear ethical issues, but I appreciate that's no longer an option (and may never have been, given the ideological balance and alliegences Sunak was clearly trying to balance when he set up his government).
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2891 on: January 26, 2023, 06:30:50 AM »

Well if he's doing that, get rid of Braverman as well. Three for the price of one?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2892 on: January 26, 2023, 06:55:38 AM »

I think the risk if he clears house now is that the right-wing aspects of the press go into a fresh meltdown. The rumblings are already there.

Christopher Hope at the Telegraph wrote a hand-wringing editorial yesterday about how Sunak was clearing out the Johnson loyalists by leaking stories about the BBC Chairman and Nadhim Zahawi (apparently it's Sunak's fault, not the guys themselves for engaging in blatant rules violations...).

I'd dearly like to see all three gone, but I doubt Sunak believes he has the political capital to ditch Braverman (or clean house entirely) without some really good cause.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2893 on: January 26, 2023, 07:09:07 AM »

Oh, of course I know all that.

And the Johnson cultists are getting very smug now, they need bringing back down to earth somehow.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2894 on: January 26, 2023, 04:25:12 PM »

Didn't mean to patronise, apologies - mostly just thinking outloud.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2895 on: January 26, 2023, 04:33:59 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2023, 04:38:06 PM by Torrain »

One other weird sideshow today - Andrew Bridgen is planning to sue Matt Hancock for £100,000, for libel.

Apparently, calling out Bridgen's holocaust-vaccine reference, and then saying this had an antisemitic element is entirely libellous, and he's demanding an apology and retraction. Hancock, to his credit, has doubled down.

It's a bit flimsy legally, because the whole case is built around a single tweet Hancock sent, which linked to his comments on the matter in Parliament. That's obviously protected under parliamentary privilege, but because he restated the attack in slightly different wording, Bridgen thinks he's got him.

Besides the lunacy of it all, the noteworthy thing is that Laurence Fox is apparently bankrolling Bridgen's legal fees, suggesting that particular political alliance is still holding. Given Bridgen is now doing the very opposite of what he'd need to do in order to be readmitted to the party, I do wonder whether we're still inching towards that Reclaim defection - although I'd be the first to admit that my defection predictions have a very poor hit ratio...

Edit: for bonus surreality points - Fox's legal team call themselves the "Bad Law Project", as some attempt to counterweight the "Good Law Project". Which is less "countercultural revolution", and more "Spock with a fake goatee hastily glued on."
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2896 on: January 26, 2023, 04:48:39 PM »

Remember when Laurence Fox was actually an actor in a big TV show? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2897 on: January 26, 2023, 06:06:40 PM »

He's James Fox's son, but in terms of both acting ability and political views he has much more in common with his uncle Edward. Not looks though. Lost out on all counts: sad!
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #2898 on: January 27, 2023, 05:10:35 PM »

I'm amazed Zahawi hasn't been fired yet, it's embarrassing
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2899 on: January 28, 2023, 07:34:16 AM »

The FT have discovered that a second high-ranking Tory MP was under investigation by HMRC last year, at the same time as Zahawi. The way they found this out is, well, intriguing:
  • On June 15th, HMRC responded to Dan Neidle's FOIA request, and confirmed a government minister was under investigation. Then, on June 23rd, when the FT had written up the story, HMRC reversed, and declared no ministers were being scrutinised - leading the FT to drop the story.
  • Then, on July 7th, HMRC changed their story again, confirming that a minister was being investigated.
  • Apparently, HMRC officials checked an inaccurate list, which included a high-ranking Tory MP who they assumed was a minister, and then hastily retracted it, hence the June 23rd denial.
  • The second announcement came after they trawled a broader list of investigations - which included the Customer Compliance Group (which includes the Fraud Investigation Service and Counter-Avoidance).
  • Apparently, all this miscommunication was an entirely innocent mistake, the result of several "blunders", to quote the apology they released today.

All a bit weird.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 121 ... 238  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies