2022 College Football Discussion & Pick'em Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 10:18:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2022 College Football Discussion & Pick'em Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 54
Author Topic: 2022 College Football Discussion & Pick'em Thread  (Read 24042 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: November 06, 2022, 11:40:01 AM »

I do not, I repeat NOT, want this to happen, but imagine the meltdown if:

LSU wins out and wins the SEC to get to 11-2
Georgia is undefeated in the regular season but loses the SECCG to finish 12-1
Ole Miss (vomits) and Tennessee win out to finish 11-1

Those are your 4 playoff teams because TCU, Ohio State, and Michigan all picked up a loss.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #851 on: November 06, 2022, 12:03:00 PM »

Hugh Freeze should lobby to become an SEC coach by getting Liberty an invite to the conference. They could be a real CFP contender if they got invited.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #852 on: November 06, 2022, 02:03:42 PM »

I do not, I repeat NOT, want this to happen, but imagine the meltdown if:

LSU wins out and wins the SEC to get to 11-2
Georgia is undefeated in the regular season but loses the SECCG to finish 12-1
Ole Miss (vomits) and Tennessee win out to finish 11-1

Those are your 4 playoff teams because TCU, Ohio State, and Michigan all picked up a loss.

Ole Miss would get in over LSU in that scenario and one of Ohio State/TCU/PAC-12 Champion would still get in.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #853 on: November 06, 2022, 04:23:17 PM »

Hugh Freeze should lobby to become an SEC coach by getting Liberty an invite to the conference. They could be a real CFP contender if they got invited.

I think UCF would be ahead of Liberty, and at least one more Texas school (probably Baylor or Texas Tech) would be ahead of UCF, and some two-school combination of North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest and NC State would be ahead of the Texas schools if the SEC were to expand again.

I think the ideal SEC expansion would be North Carolina, Duke, Clemson. Clemson for the football eyeballs, North Carolina and Duke to lock up North Carolina, and provide Basketball competition for Kentucky (who needs the in-conference competition).
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #854 on: November 06, 2022, 05:27:39 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2022, 07:33:16 PM by Storr »

DOWN GOES CLEMSON!!!

Notre Dame with the 35-14 victory!
The ACC's playoff chances are in shambles. At least this Clemson team looks beatable when UNC (very likely) meets them in the ACC Championship game.

I went with the band to UNC's game at UVA Saturday. We left campus at 7am and got back at 8:30pm. The game was ugly and Drake Maye had to bail out our patented "bend but don't brake" Chizik defense again. But, I was simply glad to be able to see Mack Brown finally get a win at Charlottesville. Mack played down how important potentially getting his first win at UVA was to him publicly before Saturday's game, but there's no doubt that finally getting a win there was significant for him.

A moment that made me laugh was that I as putting ketchup on some french fries I'd bought, while still in my band uniform, some UVA fan in jest (or at least that's how I took it) yelled at me from a distance "Hey UNC! Have a good game", paused for a few seconds and finished with "Just kidding, f*** you!".
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #855 on: November 06, 2022, 05:39:26 PM »

I think UCF would be ahead of Liberty, and at least one more Texas school (probably Baylor or Texas Tech) would be ahead of UCF, and some two-school combination of North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest and NC State would be ahead of the Texas schools if the SEC were to expand again.

I think the ideal SEC expansion would be North Carolina, Duke, Clemson. Clemson for the football eyeballs, North Carolina and Duke to lock up North Carolina, and provide Basketball competition for Kentucky (who needs the in-conference competition).

I don't think having enough in-conference competition is an issue for Kentucky.

2021-2022 SEC basketball standings (top 5):

1. Auburn
2. Tennessee
3. Kentucky
4. Arkansas
5. Texas A&M

2020-2021:

1. Alabama
2. Arkansas
3. LSU
4. Tennessee
5. Florida
   :
8. Kentucky

2019-2020:

1. Kentucky
2. Auburn
3. LSU
4. Mississippi State
5. Florida

2018-2019:

1. LSU
2. Kentucky
3. Tennessee
4. Auburn
5. South Carolina

2017-2018:

1. Auburn
2. Tennessee
3. Florida
4. Kentucky
5. Missouri
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #856 on: November 06, 2022, 05:48:07 PM »

Kansas is bowl eligible! Great time to be a Jayhawk, hopefully we can figure out a way to keep Coach Leipold here for the long haul. Already seeing a financial investment and also an uptick in recruiting, this won't be a one-year fluke.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #857 on: November 06, 2022, 05:52:18 PM »

Kansas is bowl eligible! Great time to be a Jayhawk, hopefully we can figure out a way to keep Coach Leipold here for the long haul. Already seeing a financial investment and also an uptick in recruiting, this won't be a one-year fluke.

Leipold might well get the job at any one of Nebraska/Wisconsin/Auburn (I'd say Wisconsin would be most likely, followed by Nebraska. Auburn probably is looking at bigger names than Leipold).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #858 on: November 06, 2022, 08:30:34 PM »

Both TCU and Texas are making their second appearance on College Gameday this week, as the crew heads to Austin for a crucial Big Twelve game that will make or break TCU's playoff chances.

I have to think next week is the PAC-12's turn, with either Utah/Oregon or USC/UCLA being the Gameday Game.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #859 on: November 06, 2022, 11:10:50 PM »

Week 11

Saturday, November 12th

#10 LSU @ Arkansas Noon EST ESPN

Purdue @ #16 Illinois Noon EST ESPN2

Oklahoma @ West Virginia Noon EST FS1

Pittsburgh @ Virginia Noon EST ACCN

James Madison @ Old Dominion 1 PM EST ESPN+

Louisville @ #4 Clemson 3:30 PM EST ESPN

#6 Alabama @ #11 Ole Miss 3:30 PM EST CBS

Iowa State @ #18 Oklahoma State 3:30 PM EST ESPNU

#25 UCF @ #19 Tulane 3:30 PM EST ESPN2

Arizona State @ Washington State 3:30 PM EST PAC12N

Army @ Troy 3:30 PM EST NFLN

Wisconsin @ Iowa 3:30 PM EST FS1

Miami (FL) @ Georgia Tech 3:30 PM EST ESPN3

Appalachian State @ Marshall 3:30 PM EST ESPN+

North Texas @ UAB 3:30 PM EST

South Carolina @ Florida 4 PM EST SECN

Washington @ #8 Oregon 7 PM EST FOX

#13 Kansas State @ Baylor 7 PM EST FS1

Kansas @ Texas Tech 7 PM EST ESPN+

Wyoming @ Colorado State 7 PM EST CBSSN

#7 TCU @ #24 Texas 7:30 PM EST ABC

#17 North Carolina @ #21 Wake Forest 7:30 PM EST ESPN2

Texas A&M @ Auburn 7:30 PM EST SECN

Florida State @ #20 Syracuse 8 PM EST ACCN

San Jose State @ San Diego State 10:30 PM EST FS1
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #860 on: November 06, 2022, 11:21:56 PM »

LSU
Illinois
Oklahoma
Pittsburgh
Old Dominion
Clemson
Ole Miss (If Tennessee and LSU can beat Alabama, so can Ole Miss)
Oklahoma State
Tulane (This game is likely a play-in game for the Group of Five's New Year's Six spot)
Washington State
Troy
Wisconsin
Georgia Tech
Appalachian State
UAB
South Carolina
Oregon
Baylor
Kansas
Colorado State
TCU
North Carolina
Texas A&M
Florida State
San Diego State
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #861 on: November 07, 2022, 09:00:54 AM »

Week 11

Saturday, November 12th
#10 LSU @ Arkansas
Purdue @ #16 Illinois
Oklahoma @ West Virginia
Pittsburgh @ Virginia
James Madison @ Old Dominion
Louisville @ #4 Clemson
#6 Alabama @ #11 Ole Miss
Iowa State @ #18 Oklahoma State
#25 UCF @ #19 Tulane
Arizona State @ Washington State
Army @ Troy
Wisconsin @ Iowa
Miami (FL) @ Georgia Tech
Appalachian State @ Marshall
North Texas @ UAB
South Carolina @ Florida
Washington @ #8 Oregon
#13 Kansas State @ Baylor
Kansas @ Texas Tech
Wyoming @ Colorado State
#7 TCU @ #24 Texas
#17 North Carolina @ #21 Wake Forest
Texas A&M @ Auburn
Florida State @ #20 Syracuse
San Jose State @ San Diego State
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #862 on: November 07, 2022, 09:13:57 AM »

Week 11

#7 TCU
@ #24 Texas 7:30 PM EST ABC

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #863 on: November 07, 2022, 09:48:34 AM »

Special thanks to GM for tabulating the results so quickly and to Terry for getting up the games so fast for the coming week.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #864 on: November 07, 2022, 10:07:41 AM »

Bama is going to whoop up on Ole Miss this weekend. 
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #865 on: November 07, 2022, 01:25:29 PM »

It does indeed sound like San Diego State is set to become power conference team #70 by joining the Pac 12.

Fresno State, SMU and Boise State are rumored to be in contention for the next addition to bring this to an even number.

I still suspect that this will be all for naught in the long run when they need to backfill six (or more) additional departures with their old mates.

However, in the meantime, should the Mountain West seek additional school(s), there are two key elements to consider to make this work:
1) For football, these departures are from the airport division (i.e., where travel to and from Hawaii is easiest)
2) The conference will be down to 6 or 5 baseball schools and expansion candidates will need a team

Tulsa is a decent football candidate but misses on both criteria. Rice is a great baseball school in a huge city with history, but I think the conference is a downgrade for them in the things that matter. UTSA is a warm body for baseball and ok for travel but lacks the obvious motivation for a lateral move.

The only Big Sky school with FBS potential to sponsor baseball is Sacramento State, which also happens to have one of the biggest football stadiums in the FCS. The timing could be right for them to join the ranks and replace a fellow Cal State program in the MW.

Montana and Montana State are probably slightly more interested in the FBS spots and have more passionate football fanbases and stadiums with the FBS capacity potential. However, neither has baseball and neither airport is more convenient than, say, Albuquerque already is.

There are also questions on whether Idaho could re-transition just as soon as their program found their groove...not sure what they add though.

All options lack basketball strength and imply going all-in on football. Wichita State could save them on that front and also fills the baseball school criterion. Might be a marginal improvement for Wichita over what the AAC has become but neither option looks great.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #866 on: November 07, 2022, 01:28:12 PM »

Week 11

Saturday, November 12th

Purdue @ #16 Illinois Noon EST ESPN2 Look: If you had one shot, or one opportunity, to seize everything you ever wanted (a division championship), in one moment, would you capture it, or just let it slip?

#7 TCU @ #24 Texas 7:30 PM EST ABC

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #867 on: November 07, 2022, 01:31:01 PM »

Leipold might well get the job at any one of Nebraska/Wisconsin/Auburn (I'd say Wisconsin would be most likely, followed by Nebraska. Auburn probably is looking at bigger names than Leipold).
Some reports have indicated Nebraska and Wisconsin might be leaning towards naming their interims to head coach. I haven't seen him much on Auburn lists, but I'm not sure how his style would fit in the SEC. Definitely going to spend the rest of the season rooting for Wisconsin and Nebraska though so that Joseph/Leonhard are able to gain enough booster support to get the job!!

Iowa is another concern - the upper-tier Big 10 schools are definitely the biggest threat at nabbing him from us. Iowa probably won't fire Ferentz but I could see him getting pushed into retirement in the next year or two.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #868 on: November 07, 2022, 01:32:40 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2022, 01:36:02 PM by Storr »

Week 11

#10 LSU @ Arkansas Noon EST ESPN (If you lose to Liberty, I'm not picking you.)

Purdue @ #16 Illinois Noon EST ESPN2 (Illinois is no longer ranked above UNC thanks to choking to Michigan State last weekend. As a result, do I care about who wins this game? No I do not.)

Oklahoma @ West Virginia Noon EST FS1 (I will die on the hill claiming that WVU should be in the ACC.)

Pittsburgh @ Virginia Noon EST ACCN (Virginia is bad.)

James Madison @ Old Dominion 1 PM EST ESPN+ (ODU is 3-6. One of those wins is against VT. The best football team in Virginia right now is Liberty. This is the worst reality.)

#6 Alabama @ #11 Ole Miss 3:30 PM EST CBS (I picked Bamuh to beat LSU, so I might as well pick against them this week. Would a three loss Alabama team still be ranked above a one loss UNC team by the CFB Committee? Almost certainly.)

#25 UCF @ #19 Tulane 3:30 PM EST ESPN2 (I'm choosing Tulane because I like seeing usually bad football schools do well.)

Army @Troy 3:30 PM EST NFLN (Does anyone really care about this game?)

Wisconsin @ Iowa 3:30 PM EST FS1 (Iowa, I guess?)

Miami (FL) @ Georgia Tech 3:30 PM EST ESPN3 (I'm picking GT because Miami has the fewest points scored in conference games: 82. That's 16.4 points per game.)

South Carolina @ Florida 4 PM EST SECN (I will never pick South Carolina, unless I have to.)

Washington @ #8 Oregon 7 PM EST FOX (Go Huskies!)

#13 Kansas State @Baylor 7 PM EST FS1

Wyoming @ Colorado State 7 PM EST CBSSN (One of my furry friends went to Wyoming and CSU is 2-7.)

#7 TCU @ #24 Texas 7:30 PM EST ABC (If you notice a theme of me picking teams ranked above UNC to lose, that's a complete coincidence.)

#17 North Carolina @ #21 Wake Forest 7:30 PM EST ESPN2 (The last two matchups between these teams resulted in 59-53 and 58-55 UNC wins. For the love of God: Bet the over.)

Texas A&M @ Auburn 7:30 PM EST SECN (The battle for not being last in the SEC West. Texas A&M and Auburn both currently have the same record as Vanderbilt.)

Florida State @ #20 Syracuse 8 PM EST ACCN (Syracuse's starting QB has been out for 6 weeks, and last weekend and lost to Pitt. It looks like he will still be out this weekend.)

San Jose State @ San Diego State 10:30 PM EST FS1 (SDSU is 4-1 at home.)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #869 on: November 07, 2022, 01:49:40 PM »

It does indeed sound like San Diego State is set to become power conference team #70 by joining the Pac 12.

Fresno State, SMU and Boise State are rumored to be in contention for the next addition to bring this to an even number.

I still suspect that this will be all for naught in the long run when they need to backfill six (or more) additional departures with their old mates.

However, in the meantime, should the Mountain West seek additional school(s), there are two key elements to consider to make this work:
1) For football, these departures are from the airport division (i.e., where travel to and from Hawaii is easiest)
2) The conference will be down to 6 or 5 baseball schools and expansion candidates will need a team

Tulsa is a decent football candidate but misses on both criteria. Rice is a great baseball school in a huge city with history, but I think the conference is a downgrade for them in the things that matter. UTSA is a warm body for baseball and ok for travel but lacks the obvious motivation for a lateral move.

The only Big Sky school with FBS potential to sponsor baseball is Sacramento State, which also happens to have one of the biggest football stadiums in the FCS. The timing could be right for them to join the ranks and replace a fellow Cal State program in the MW.

Montana and Montana State are probably slightly more interested in the FBS spots and have more passionate football fanbases and stadiums with the FBS capacity potential. However, neither has baseball and neither airport is more convenient than, say, Albuquerque already is.

There are also questions on whether Idaho could re-transition just as soon as their program found their groove...not sure what they add though.

All options lack basketball strength and imply going all-in on football. Wichita State could save them on that front and also fills the baseball school criterion. Might be a marginal improvement for Wichita over what the AAC has become but neither option looks great.

SDSU makes sense as a kind of replacement for loss of the "big two" in the Southern California media markets. It also has the largest student body of current Mountain West schools. Boise State should have been let into the PAC-12 when Utah joined (imo). SMU is an odd fit for the PAC-[insert number here] geographically. But, I'm not against it, except for the fact we'll miss out on an annual in-conference matchup of the Safeway Bowl against N. Texas.

Fresno State isn't in a large media market, but if you are wanting to replace UCLA and USC with two California schools, it and SDSU are your best options because the PAC-[ x ] already has two teams in the Bay Area. Thus, San Jose State isn't a good option.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #870 on: November 07, 2022, 04:28:55 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2022, 04:45:22 PM by Storr »

SDSU makes sense as a kind of replacement for loss of the "big two" in the Southern California media markets. It also has the largest student body of current Mountain West schools. Boise State should have been let into the PAC-12 when Utah joined (imo). SMU is an odd fit for the PAC-[insert number here] geographically. But, I'm not against it, except for the fact we'll miss out on an annual in-conference matchup of the Safeway Bowl against N. Texas.

Fresno State isn't in a large media market, but if you are wanting to replace UCLA and USC with two California schools, it and SDSU are your best options because the PAC-[ x ] already has two teams in the Bay Area. Thus, San Jose State isn't a good option.

Some additional thoughts on possible Big-[ x ] expansion. SDSU is an obvious 11th team, large student population and alumni base, large media market, new stadium, in Southern California, etc. But I highly doubt the conference would add only one school. The big question is that what school would be the best 12th team?

I doubt the conference looks to add Colorado State because they already have Colorado (and thus the strong hand in the Denver media market). Personally, I feel SMU is too small to add to a conference dominated by large public institutions. SMU's total student population is only 12,400. The current smallest in the PAC-12 is Stanford with 16,300.

Here's a list of possible 12th team candidates, ranked by my guess as to their attractiveness to the PAC-12. School information from this College Football News article.

1. Fresno State:
Enrollment: 24,403
Alumni Base: 300,000
Media Market: 55
US News & World Report Latest Ranking: 213
AAU Member: No
Tier 1 Research: No, Tier 2
Stadium Size: Bulldog Stadium, 40,727

2. University of Nevada, Las Vegas:
Enrollment: 28,600
Alumni Base: 135,000
Media Market: 40
US News & World Report Latest Ranking: 249
Tier 1 Research: Yes
Stadium Size: Allegiant Stadium, 64,676

3. Boise State University:
Enrollment: 22,113
Alumni Base: 80,000
Media Market: 101
US News & World Report Latest Ranking: 299-391
Stadium Size: Albertsons Stadium, 36,387

4. University of Nevada, Reno:
Enrollment: 20,194
Media Market: 104
US News & World Report Latest Ranking: 227
Stadium Size: Mackay Stadium, 27,000
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #871 on: November 07, 2022, 11:43:24 PM »

Some additional thoughts on possible Big-[ x ] expansion. SDSU is an obvious 11th team, large student population and alumni base, large media market, new stadium, in Southern California, etc. But I highly doubt the conference would add only one school. The big question is that what school would be the best 12th team?

I doubt the conference looks to add Colorado State because they already have Colorado (and thus the strong hand in the Denver media market). Personally, I feel SMU is too small to add to a conference dominated by large public institutions. SMU's total student population is only 12,400. The current smallest in the PAC-12 is Stanford with 16,300.

Here's a list of possible 12th team candidates, ranked by my guess as to their attractiveness to the PAC-12. School information from this College Football News article.

1. Fresno State:
Enrollment: 24,403
Alumni Base: 300,000
Media Market: 55
US News & World Report Latest Ranking: 213
Stadium Size: Bulldog Stadium, 40,727

2. University of Nevada, Las Vegas:
Enrollment: 28,600
Alumni Base: 135,000
Media Market: 40
US News & World Report Latest Ranking: 249
Stadium Size: Allegiant Stadium, 64,676

3. Boise State University:
Enrollment: 22,113
Alumni Base: 80,000
Media Market: 101
US News & World Report Latest Ranking: 299-391
Stadium Size: Albertsons Stadium, 36,387

4. University of Nevada, Reno:
Enrollment: 20,194
Media Market: 104
US News & World Report Latest Ranking: 227
Stadium Size: Mackay Stadium, 27,000

Personally, I think the obvious choice is going to thirteen teams (at least in Basketball), adding Gonzaga in Basketball, and Boise State in all sports.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #872 on: November 08, 2022, 01:34:35 AM »

What need does Gonzaga have to change conferences when they can get a #1 seed right where they are now? Does BYU's departure hurt their resume that much? They do a good job of non-conference scheduling anyway.

And on the complete converse of that, who's to say if Gonzaga will continue all this after Mark Few retires? Does the Pac-12 really have any incentive to bring in a non-football private school that doubles up a smaller media market and has <5,000 undergrads?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #873 on: November 08, 2022, 02:03:07 AM »

What need does Gonzaga have to change conferences when they can get a #1 seed right where they are now? Does BYU's departure hurt their resume that much? They do a good job of non-conference scheduling anyway.

And on the complete converse of that, who's to say if Gonzaga will continue all this after Mark Few retires? Does the Pac-12 really have any incentive to bring in a non-football private school that doubles up a smaller media market and has <5,000 undergrads?

Gonzaga probably would do really well in the PAC-12 from an on-court standpoint. The conference, outside of UCLA and Arizona hasn't been good for a while now, and UCLA is leaving.

Honestly, I think Gonzaga would be better positioned to do well post-Few if they are in a bigger conference as well, as being in a bigger conference automatically means better recruits and access to better coaches.

As for why the PAC-12 would want Gonzaga, assuming Few sticks around longer, or their success continues after he leaves, it would be the strong basketball school replacing UCLA, and giving a second basketball power in-conference to go with Arizona.

It also doesn't truly double up on a media market, as Spokane, as small as it is, is its own market.

I think the biggest argument against Gonzaga being in the PAC-12, is that as a Catholic School that has previously turned down both the PAC-12 and Mountain West before, Gonzaga is clearly a better fit for the Big East culturally, where everyone except UConn is a Catholic School, and that might be where they prefer to go if they do leave the WCC.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #874 on: November 08, 2022, 02:15:12 PM »

Week 11

Saturday, November 12th