2022 College Football Discussion & Pick'em Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:39:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2022 College Football Discussion & Pick'em Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54]
Author Topic: 2022 College Football Discussion & Pick'em Thread  (Read 23002 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: January 10, 2023, 07:48:13 PM »

I 100% support an expanded playoff (in fact, I think it should be 24 to give basically every P5 program hope that they can get in and make a run, and allowing an autobid for every G5 conference to give those teams something to play for too), but under the 4-team model, there's just no way that any other team could have gotten in with the way the season played out.

12 teams is bad enough but c'mon...24!?  Scraping that far down into the barrel gets too messy.  How do you justify picking some 3-loss teams over others?  More teams realistically on the bubble only creates more unhappy fanbases and more calls for further expansion.  And for what?  We just saw the "No. 2" team in the country get blown-out in spectacular fashion.  There's too much separation in college football for a 12-team playoff to even be fun to watch, much less competitive.       

There was potential for a surprise when the semifinals this year didn't deliver the typical blowouts, but last night came through like none other and showed that, just like nearly every year, four teams was too many this year. This season would have been perfect for the system I grew up with, since there were exactly two undefeated teams from major conferences. Georgia and Michigan would have been a perfectly compelling game, but instead thanks to a fluke result that never needed to happen we got last night's snoozefest. There are almost never four teams that are all worthwhile contenders (2014 is the only instance I can recall), which is why there are so many lopsided results year after year. Of course nobody in the media will tell you that because constant expansion is the only thing that lines ESPN's pockets.

I saw this Twitter post, which feels like what we normally see from playoff fans:

Naturally this ignores that if the playoff weren't so large already, a team with no hope of competing like TCU wouldn't have to have been weeded out. The amazing thing about playoff fans is that literally everything is an argument to expand the playoff. There was no possible result that would not have produced this reaction.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1326 on: January 10, 2023, 10:00:55 PM »

The amazing thing about playoff fans is that literally everything is an argument to expand the playoff. There was no possible result that would not have produced this reaction.

Well, yeah. We support expanding the playoff. We don't think it's an could-go-either-way situation with compelling arguments on both sides.

Similarly, there's "no possible result" that would make me suddenly think Trump was a good president who should go back to the White House in January 2025. I've seen enough evidence to convince me otherwise.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #1327 on: January 11, 2023, 05:48:49 PM »

I like the idea of playoff expansion because I like seeing interesting games. That being said, nobody outside of the SEC top half and a couple of other teams will be able to compete for the national championship until NIL continues to even the playing field. Yes, TCU made the national championship, but 1/2 of its recruiting classes weren't even in the top 25. In fact, we have our best recruiting class ever coming in (which is 18th in the nation) with good transfers as well. We did not have the recruits to compete with Georgia in this game. However, I do think schools like TCU will have a better shot in the future now that they can actually legally pay players (I'm looking at you SMU)
k120
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -6.70

P
« Reply #1328 on: January 11, 2023, 07:13:33 PM »

Similarly, there's "no possible result" that would make me suddenly think Trump was a good president who should go back to the White House in January 2025. I've seen enough evidence to convince me otherwise.

If you have an argument, you should be able to think of conditions that could force you to change your argument. For example, if Trump had implemented global communism or something, as unlikely as that may have been, then I would think that he was a good president.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #1329 on: January 13, 2023, 06:05:43 PM »

2023 odds right now
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1330 on: January 13, 2023, 06:49:44 PM »

I feel like neither Texas nor Oklahoma having better than +2000 odds seems off.

Texas in particular has a non-conference schedule that sets up nicely for them to make the playoff if they manage to win the Big Twelve, with their road trip to Alabama.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #1331 on: January 14, 2023, 11:40:21 AM »

Texas in particular has a non-conference schedule that sets up nicely for them to make the playoff if they manage to win the Big Twelve, with their road trip to Alabama.

The Alabama game makes Texas less likely to make the playoffs, not more. A one loss Texas Big12 champ makes it, TCU should make that clear. But a two loss Big 12 champ? Probably not. The playoffs, especially when its only 4 teams, rewards Power 5 schools with easier schedules. 2023 Georgia tops the chart in part because their OOC schedule is vs UT Martin, vs Ball State, vs UAB, and @ GA Tech all of which will feature Georgia as at least 3 score favorites. 
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1332 on: January 14, 2023, 12:34:21 PM »

The Alabama game makes Texas less likely to make the playoffs, not more. A one loss Texas Big12 champ makes it, TCU should make that clear. But a two loss Big 12 champ? Probably not. The playoffs, especially when its only 4 teams, rewards Power 5 schools with easier schedules. 2023 Georgia tops the chart in part because their OOC schedule is vs UT Martin, vs Ball State, vs UAB, and @ GA Tech all of which will feature Georgia as at least 3 score favorites. 

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Given how well Texas played Alabama this past year, I think they beat Alabama thus upcoming year.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1333 on: January 14, 2023, 01:15:23 PM »

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Given how well Texas played Alabama this past year, I think they beat Alabama thus upcoming year.

As the financial ads say: Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1334 on: January 16, 2023, 10:12:16 AM »

University of Georgia football player Devin Willock and a team staff member died in a car crash early Sunday morning, just hours after the team celebrated its second consecutive national championship win.

Willock, 20, and recruiting analyst Chandler LeCroy, 24, were killed in the crash, and two other members of the university's football program were injured, the school announced.

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/15/1149350359/university-of-georgia-football-devin-willock-dead

Sad
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1335 on: January 19, 2023, 08:39:03 AM »

Ohio state isn't gonna be the same without CJ Straud too bad Bears won't take him they have Fields
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies