SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:58:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 103661 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: May 06, 2022, 01:33:46 PM »

This is it. LGBTQ community is a next and after this they are coming for interracial marriage. All the white dudes with asian wives... lookout... you're next.

Imagine being this delusional

Then why are Republican Senators saying that Loving and Obergefell should be overturned?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #976 on: May 06, 2022, 02:13:45 PM »

This is it. LGBTQ community is a next and after this they are coming for interracial marriage. All the white dudes with asian wives... lookout... you're next.

Then why are Republican Senators saying that Loving and Obergefell should be overturned?

Is Mitch McConnell saying that
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #977 on: May 06, 2022, 02:19:36 PM »

Because Braun is a complete f[inks]ing moron who wasn't aware that the Loving decision was based on the 14th Amendment and not the right to privacy and is a completely seperate decision and backed down the next day after pointing this out.

The question is what state is actually going to ban interracial marriage this creating a challenge case that can go to the Supreme Court? Unlike abortion there has been zero push for this for decades. Are states just going to ban interracial marriage out of the blue despite its legality having >90% support and there being zero lobby of any type to ban it?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #978 on: May 06, 2022, 02:30:26 PM »

Before the Ruling: "That'll never happen"; "You're delusional!"; "They would never overturn something with so much precedence"; "They told Senator Fu.ckelstein they would never overturn X"

After the Ruling: "Yes, they overturned this precedent, but they won't go any further!"; "You really think Justice McGillycuddy would do something like that?"; "The shadow docket is a valid exercise of the Court's authority"; "Seriously, you are being delusional!"
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #979 on: May 06, 2022, 02:30:27 PM »

Because Braun is a complete f[inks]ing moron who wasn't aware that the Loving decision was based on the 14th Amendment and not the right to privacy and is a completely seperate decision and backed down the next day after pointing this out.

The question is what state is actually going to ban interracial marriage this creating a challenge case that can go to the Supreme Court? Unlike abortion there has been zero push for this for decades. Are states just going to ban interracial marriage out of the blue despite its legality having >90% support and there being zero lobby of any type to ban it?

Honestly Braun is actually kinda like bronz when it comes to race. IIRC he had a few out of left field moments as well. He isn't even like MTG or anything , he's just literally weird. But yes you are right that Loving is based on the 14th and quite clear and there isn't really an argument against it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #980 on: May 06, 2022, 02:32:01 PM »

Honestly Braun is actually kinda like bronz when it comes to race. IIRC he had a few out of left field moments as well. He isn't even like MTG or anything , he's just literally weird.
He's also not a lawyer, so it's not surprising he could be that ignorant about such precedent. Although my undergrad constitutional law class covered those cases and the reasonings, but he also went to college a long time before me.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #981 on: May 06, 2022, 02:35:46 PM »

Honestly Braun is actually kinda like bronz when it comes to race. IIRC he had a few out of left field moments as well. He isn't even like MTG or anything , he's just literally weird.
He's also not a lawyer, so it's not surprising he could be that ignorant about such precedent. Although my undergrad constitutional law class covered those cases and the reasonings, but he also went to college a long time before me.

Overall IMO its fair game for Democrats to pounce upon for Braun being a retard but people on this forum should know better than to actually think there will be an interracial marriage ban in any state in the future.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #982 on: May 06, 2022, 02:40:26 PM »

It was just reported that for the first time the median age of a woman giving birth in America was 30 years old. Women's reproductive rights has been incredibly successful. For women with a college degree the age is even higher, for women who reside in America's wealthiest counties the age is higher.

Motherhood Deferred: US Median Age for Giving Birth Hits 30

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #983 on: May 06, 2022, 02:42:00 PM »

Why would Mitch McConnell care if Mississippi and Alabama ban interracial marriage once the SCOTUS strikes down Loving? McConnell doesn't live in the deep south.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #984 on: May 06, 2022, 02:43:59 PM »

Overall IMO its fair game for Democrats to pounce upon for Braun being a retard but people on this forum should know better than to actually think there will be an interracial marriage ban in any state in the future.
That's actually my position too FWIW. I've got no problem with the DNC and candidates trying to scare voters into thinking Republicans want to ban interracial marriage, that's exactly what Republicans do with nonsense about teaching sex ed to kindergartners or teaching CRT in elementary school, but the fact that there's actually people here losing sleep over believing this will actually happen is insane.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #985 on: May 06, 2022, 02:45:10 PM »

Before the Ruling: "That'll never happen"; "You're delusional!"; "They would never overturn something with so much precedence"; "They told Senator Fu.ckelstein they would never overturn X"

After the Ruling: "Yes, they overturned this precedent, but they won't go any further!"; "You really think Justice McGillycuddy would do something like that?"; "The shadow docket is a valid exercise of the Court's authority"; "Seriously, you are being delusional!"

Republicans have been openly campaigning on reversing Roe for 40+ years
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #986 on: May 06, 2022, 02:47:13 PM »

Why would Mitch McConnell care if Mississippi and Alabama ban interracial marriage once the SCOTUS strikes down Loving? McConnell doesn't live in the deep south.
https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=1&year=2000&f=0&off=51&elect=0

59.49% in 2000 might be both embarrassingly low and embarrassingly late for a vote to repeal an unenforecable ban on interracial marriage, but it's still high enough to show that there's no majority or popular support for reinstating such a ban.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #987 on: May 06, 2022, 02:50:28 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=1&year=2000&f=0&off=51&elect=0

59.49% in 2000 might be both embarrassingly low and embarrassingly late for a vote to repeal an unenforecable ban on interracial marriage, but it's still high enough to show that there's no majority or popular support for reinstating such a ban.
I'm not saying there's a huge appetite for it. I'm just saying that McConnell and a lot of Republicans probably have no problem with changing the law so that each state can make their own choice... even if that results in 50 states keeping it legal.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #988 on: May 06, 2022, 02:52:48 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2022, 03:02:49 PM by Donerail »

The draft opinion generally mentions Hale in connection with Edward Coke, William Blackstone, and/or Henry de Bracton. I doubt this tweet-er, or almost anybody on the forum for that matter, would have much patience for Coke's, Blackstone's, or Bracton's perspectives on issues like marital rape either, and at one point that I noticed Alito quote-mines Hale to make him seem more hostile to abortion than the whole quote suggests he was, but the Dobbs draft doesn't single out Hale in particular as uniquely authoritative on the subjects it discusses.
Had to page through a lot of Coke for a paper we're publishing soon — contained a fascinating anecdote about a "great lady in England, who cohabited with a Baboon, and conceived by it." This offense was classified as "buggery" (an Italian practice, largely unknown in England) and punished by death (without benefit of clergy). Concerning sign for Obergefell imo
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #989 on: May 06, 2022, 02:55:53 PM »

I'm not saying there's a huge appetite for it. I'm just saying that McConnell and a lot of Republicans probably have no problem with changing the law so that each state can make their own choice... even if that results in 50 states keeping it legal.

To be fair, is this really such a bad thing if all 50 states would keep it legal? That would not have been the case 50 years ago, and it shows how much social progress we've made as a country.

If you want to know a person's true nature, you give him the freedom to act. And the same is true for large groups of people (like the states). If we allow Alabama to ban interracial marriage, and it still chooses not to do so, I see that as a much bigger win for American ideals and democracy than Loving was.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #990 on: May 06, 2022, 03:02:38 PM »

If 50 states keep it legal, then that means no case challenging it even gets created and the whole thing is moot from the start.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #991 on: May 06, 2022, 03:06:40 PM »

To be fair, is this really such a bad thing if all 50 states would keep it legal? That would not have been the case 50 years ago, and it shows how much social progress we've made as a country.

If you want to know a person's true nature, you give him the freedom to act. And the same is true for large groups of people (like the states). If we allow Alabama to ban interracial marriage, and it still chooses not to do so, I see that as a much bigger win for American ideals and democracy than Loving was.

Loving was decided correctly though.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #992 on: May 06, 2022, 03:08:21 PM »

If 50 states keep it legal, then that means no case challenging it even gets created and the whole thing is moot from the start.
I could see one or maybe two states challenging it now with only 41% public approval for the challenge (numbers you provided) but not challenging it 5 or 10 years from now or long term. Either way, IF it were to go to the Supreme Court, IF, I can see Republicans supporting it as "we believe in states rights but we also believe 45+ states want it legal now and it will be all 50 states in the future, but ultimately states rights are more important."
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #993 on: May 06, 2022, 03:10:07 PM »

I could see one or maybe two states challenging it now with only 41% public approval for the challenge (numbers you provided) but not challenging it 5 or 10 years from now or long term. Either way, IF it were to go to the Supreme Court, IF, I can see Republicans supporting it as "we believe in states rights but we also believe 45+ states want it legal now and it will be all 50 states in the future, but ultimately states rights are more important."

That was in 2000. Its been 20 years since then. It would easily be much higher today.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/354638/approval-interracial-marriage-new-high.aspx

Gallup and issue polling but its probably atleast 75 25 even in Alabama
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #994 on: May 06, 2022, 03:13:57 PM »

That was in 2000. Its been 20 years since then. It would easily be much higher today.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/354638/approval-interracial-marriage-new-high.aspx

Gallup and issue polling but its probably atleast 75 25 even in Alabama
Ahhh okay. In that case, let me modify position:

Republicans would be happy to strike down interracial marriage on a federal level and leave it to the states, if there were enough public appetite for it in one of the states to take the issue to the Supreme Court in the first place.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #995 on: May 06, 2022, 03:15:10 PM »

Anyone who told you that Roe wasn't going to be overturned before this was an idiot. Not my fault you chose to listen to them. The Supreme Court still isn't going to overturn Loving or whatever you're blathering about.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #996 on: May 06, 2022, 03:22:44 PM »

Like I said , nobody outside Partisans will care in October
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #997 on: May 06, 2022, 03:34:19 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2022, 03:40:54 PM by Dr Oz for Senate »

1. What Senator Braun said was a gaffe, he admitted that he had misunderstood the original question. I think only like 4% of Americans oppose interracial marriage or something like that and that poll was from a few years ago, down considerably from previous polls taken decades earlier.

2. Even if they were to do that, I doubt there's a justice who'd agree to overturn it. After all, Clarence Thomas, one of the staunchest conservatives on the court is married to a white woman.

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #998 on: May 06, 2022, 03:41:14 PM »

Loving was decided correctly though.

I didn't mean to suggest it wasn't.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #999 on: May 06, 2022, 03:42:22 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2022, 03:48:53 PM by CAWTHORN FOR SENATE »

It was just reported that for the first time the median age of a woman giving birth in America was 30 years old. Women's reproductive rights has been incredibly successful. For women with a college degree the age is even higher, for women who reside in America's wealthiest counties the age is higher.

Motherhood Deferred: US Median Age for Giving Birth Hits 30

This is…. Really not a good thing. The potential for birth defects, miscarriages, etc. goes up a lot once the mother is 35+ (Men’s age plays a part in this too). We need to fix the credentialing problem in America so women can feel safe and secure having kids in their late 20’s.

You also have less energy when you’re older, harder for the kids to have grandparents and great grandparents, further disconnect between parents and children because of age gap, and a whole host of other issues.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies