SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 05:58:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 103402 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: May 08, 2022, 01:23:59 AM »

The people who leaked this need to be arrested and throw in prison for years

What law did they break?
Supreme Court opinions are not classified. At worst, it's a breach of protocol.
Also, I'm getting rather sick of arguments about the personal comfort of people in prominent positions of public trust. I'm far more interested in the impact their actions have on millions of people than whether Justice Kavanaugh gets a good night's sleep.

They leaked their PERSONAL ADRESSES

LMAO.
I seriously doubt that was some kind of government secret.
Honestly ... how difficult do you think it is to get their addresses?
I bet a 13 year old could do it.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1101 on: May 08, 2022, 01:28:18 AM »

Releasing addresses of Supreme Court justices is a step gone too far. Someone ought to go to jail for this, because this is not at all acceptable. It doesn't matter if a conservative did it or a liberal did it. This is not a legitimate political activity anymore. The leaking of the opinion is problematic; but to go this far is to forfeit sympathy.

We ought to set a harsh precedent for something like this. I don't care if people feel unjustly persecuted because of this, though I hope no one does.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1102 on: May 08, 2022, 01:39:17 AM »

Releasing addresses of Supreme Court justices is a step gone too far. Someone ought to go to jail for this, because this is not at all acceptable. It doesn't matter if a conservative did it or a liberal did it. This is not a legitimate political activity anymore. The leaking of the opinion is problematic; but to go this far is to forfeit sympathy.

We ought to set a harsh precedent for something like this. I don't care if people feel unjustly persecuted because of this, though I hope no one does.

What law does it violate?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1103 on: May 08, 2022, 01:42:02 AM »

Since when is a person's address classified material and above the level for people to protest? Just say you want a new restriction on First Amendment rights.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1104 on: May 08, 2022, 01:44:49 AM »

I'm sure most justices live in normal neighborhoods, with houses next door and down the street.
Do you not think all those neighbors know that they live very close to someone in-high-places?
If one of these neighbors was at a party and told a relative or friend, that they live very close to a SC justice, did they commit a crime? And if that person passes in on, in conversation with someone else, is there additional crimes present?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1105 on: May 08, 2022, 01:46:38 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2022, 02:11:57 AM by Old School Republican »

If leaking the address is not an incitement of violence , neither is Trump’s speech on January 6th (which it was )
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1106 on: May 08, 2022, 01:48:37 AM »

If leaking the address is not an incitement of violence , neither is Trump’s speech on January 6th .

Ummm, what?
Oh my God.
Go to bed.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1107 on: May 08, 2022, 01:50:53 AM »

I was under the impression that it's illegal to publicly release the address of a government official with intention to pressure them into doing a specific thing. Punishing someone for this specific thing, in my view, would not be a flagrant First Amendment violation.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1108 on: May 08, 2022, 01:50:58 AM »

I'd really prefer debating someone with critical thinking skills higher than the average sea sponge.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1109 on: May 08, 2022, 01:51:23 AM »

Since when is a person's address classified material and above the level for people to protest? Just say you want a new restriction on First Amendment rights.

No I think they have all the right to protest but a large group of people descending on your neighborhood could absolutely intimidate the justices into making a decision which would undermine the judicial process.

I will say this the national guard should be sent in to protect their homes to ensure these protesters can’t step a foot on private property
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1110 on: May 08, 2022, 01:52:16 AM »

So just be clear here, you think people in positions of public trust should be immunized from the consequences of their actions?

We aren’t talking about a Nerodist campaign of assassinations here, we are talking about protests in front of a public official’s house.

There seems to be a general idea going around, see also Civility, Bipartisanship, etc, that the important principle of politics is that politicians are personal comfortable and get along with one another. Which is a fundamentally backwards and illiberal idea, essentially turning public officials into a noble class who aren’t accountable to the nation writ large but only their peers.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1111 on: May 08, 2022, 01:55:26 AM »

If leaking the address is not an incitement of violence , neither is Trump’s speech on January 6th .

Ummm, what?
Oh my God.
Go to bed.

Releasing their home address is inciting violence and undermining the judicial process.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1112 on: May 08, 2022, 01:58:13 AM »

For what crime?

For leaking the address of supremes court justices . The police also should be sent to clear that neighborhood out

Your side may get its way in overturning Roe, but you don't get to overturn the First Amendment as well. That would invite war.

This is undermining the free and fair judicial process, and clear example of intimidation

So, protest shouldn't be allowed in front of the Supreme Court building I there for that reason, right?

Again, you've degenerated from a vegan typical Republican hack to being an outright advocate for fascism.

They aren’t protesting in front of the Supreme Court but their homes.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1113 on: May 08, 2022, 01:58:14 AM »

So just be clear here, you think people in positions of public trust should be immunized from the consequences of their actions?

We aren’t talking about a Nerodist campaign of assassinations here, we are talking about protests in front of a public official’s house.

There seems to be a general idea going around, see also Civility, Bipartisanship, etc, that the important principle of politics is that politicians are personal comfortable and get along with one another. Which is a fundamentally backwards and illiberal idea, essentially turning public officials into a noble class who aren’t accountable to the nation writ large but only their peers.

The protest itself is clearly legal. But the intent of pressuring that seems innate to the releasing of this information was not.

Of course, our intelligence community should watch these protests closely all the same, as I think the justices are entitled to their life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. I do not think we should prevent official, peaceful protests outside government officials' homes (though I find them distasteful, personally). I have sizable sympathies to a broad reading of what is protected by the First Amendment. But I do not think that this leak in fact is really protected by the First Amendment, given the circumstances.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1114 on: May 08, 2022, 01:58:28 AM »

There was a protest outside his home last year. So it's not like no one knew his address before.

https://wtop.com/gallery/montgomery-county/abortion-rights-advocates-march-on-kavanaughs-chevy-chase-home/
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1115 on: May 08, 2022, 02:00:07 AM »

The protest itself is clearly legal. But the intent of pressuring that seems innate to the releasing of this information was not.

Of course, our intelligence community should watch these protests closely all the same, as I think the justices are entitled to their life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. I do not think we should prevent official protests outside government officials' homes. I have sizable sympathies to a broad reading of what is protected by the First Amendment. But I do not think that this leak in fact is really protected by the First Amendment, given the circumstances.

If any of these happened individually then it’s one thing but the combination of :

- leaking a draft ruling

- leaking the home addresses of the justices

- protesters descending at their addresses

Makes it clear it’s an intimidation campaign
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1116 on: May 08, 2022, 02:03:40 AM »

No I think they have all the right to protest but a large group of people descending on your neighborhood could absolutely intimidate the justices into making a decision which would undermine the judicial process.

I will say this the national guard should be sent in to protect their homes to ensure these protesters can’t step a foot on private property

Calm down and unclutch your pearls. The justices have protesters outside their offices most days of their careers. There are plenty of police present.

"Send in the National Guard". Roll Eyes You truly are driven to hysterics easily.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1117 on: May 08, 2022, 02:04:26 AM »

As I said in a previous thread Roe Should always be legal and I hope we net a Secularist Trifecta to codify Roe, but I don't vote on Roe I donate to Ds because they're not the Koch bros that cut Entitlement like Rs and Give tax cuts to millionaire's.We don't know what the Turnout will be I just know that state party trends don't always flow in Midterms and the Red waves of 2010/2014 had subpar Obama Approval but it was 92M votes and we have 110/150M votes, we need a result not just Approvals.

But anyways, Boomers in my family regretted Abortion's because you never know how great a person will grow up to be, yeah you can say kids are a nuisance but when they become adults they become good people and useful
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1118 on: May 08, 2022, 02:05:27 AM »

For what crime?

For leaking the address of supremes court justices . The police also should be sent to clear that neighborhood out

Your side may get its way in overturning Roe, but you don't get to overturn the First Amendment as well. That would invite war.

This is undermining the free and fair judicial process, and clear example of intimidation

So, protest shouldn't be allowed in front of the Supreme Court building I there for that reason, right?

Again, you've degenerated from a vegan typical Republican hack to being an outright advocate for fascism.

They aren’t protesting in front of the Supreme Court but their homes.

Yes, we know. And?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1119 on: May 08, 2022, 02:05:51 AM »

That is the outer bound of even the most adamant free speech absolutist, such as myself. Protesters do not have a right to encroach upon private property, but the right to protest is one of the most fundamental rights of the First Amendment and of Western democracy as we know it.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1120 on: May 08, 2022, 02:06:42 AM »

Of course, our intelligence community should watch these protests closely all the same, as I think the justices are entitled to their life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. I do not think we should prevent official protests outside government officials' homes. I have sizable sympathies to a broad reading of what is protected by the First Amendment. But I do not think that this leak in fact is really protected by the First Amendment, given the circumstances.

If any of these happened individually then it’s one thing but the combination of :

- leaking a draft ruling

- leaking the home addresses of the justices

- protesters descending at their addresses

Makes it clear it’s an intimidation campaign
The protesters descending onto the home of Chief Justice Roberts was clearly inevitable anyway.

To be entirely clear, from my POV anyway, this would have been unacceptable regardless of the politics of the leakers involved. I don't care for their party affiliation, feelings on abortion (meh who cares), or other characteristics.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1121 on: May 08, 2022, 02:07:49 AM »

That is the outer bound of even the most adamant free speech absolutist, such as myself. Protesters do not have a right to encroach upon private property, but the right to protest is one of the most fundamental rights of the First Amendment and of Western democracy as we know it.

Yes and I would have no problem if they weren’t so near to their homes so I’d say it’s acceptable if their is adequate protection to ensure they can’t get to their homes with all the consequences made clear if they do .

Until then the police should do everything they can to ensure they don’t get near it
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1122 on: May 08, 2022, 02:16:03 AM »

I'd really prefer debating someone with critical thinking skills higher than the average sea sponge.
I'd prefer debating with someone who holds respect for the existence of a judicial branch that is not, as Roberts so eloquently said, "not to be intimated".

That was not directed towards you, as you can see that my post was made 5 seconds after yours.

Either way, the Supreme Court has already lost its legitimacy. This right-wing majority was conceived out of an effort to have certain Justices that would only rule a certain way. Don't pretend that this majority was looking at the Constitution or the facts presented. This is the crowning achievement of the decades-long effort to effect the elimination of our once-independent judiciary.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1123 on: May 08, 2022, 02:17:03 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2022, 02:25:21 AM by Southern Delegate Punxsutawney Phil »

I'd prefer debating with someone who holds respect for the existence of a judicial branch that is not, as Roberts so eloquently said, "not to be intimated".

That was not directed towards you, as you can see that my post was made 5 seconds after yours.

Either way, the Supreme Court has already lost its legitimacy. This right-wing majority was conceived out of an effort to have certain Justices that would only rule a certain way. Don't pretend that this majority was looking at the Constitution or the facts presented. This is the crowning achievement of the decades-long effort to effect the elimination of our once-independent judiciary.
Grave apologies then.
I misread your intentions.
It felt like you were responding more to my points than OSR's.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #1124 on: May 08, 2022, 04:32:43 AM »

There was a protest outside his home last year. So it's not like no one knew his address before.

One of the first results when you type "Brett Kavanaugh private address" is a Washington Post story from 2018 where not only it says that the guy lives in Chevy Chase, Maryland, but it also literally shows a picture of his house. I found this out in 2 minutes, finding his exact address probably takes an average guy about 15 minutes lol

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies