Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 06:43:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 ... 1180
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 967264 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26150 on: September 26, 2023, 04:56:22 AM »

Those crafty Russians came up with a cunning scheme of creating a false illusion of battlefield success by actually achieving battlefield success.  Diabolical.

They are just as crafty as the sneaky PRC
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26151 on: September 26, 2023, 05:03:46 AM »

https://www.rp.pl/kraj/art39165861-coraz-blizej-prawdy-o-rakiecie-w-przewodowie-wiadomo-czyj-byl-pocisk

The Polish investigation came to the conclusion that the rocket that fell in Przewodów last November and killed two people belonged to Ukraine.  This matches USA assessments at the time.  The Ukraine's position was and continues to be that it was a Russian missile.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26152 on: September 26, 2023, 05:08:50 AM »

Those crafty Russians came up with a cunning scheme of creating a false illusion of battlefield success by actually achieving battlefield success.  Diabolical.
Russia may be doing poorly in some fronts (such as losing a Fleet Admiral for the first time since 1904), but it still has some tricks up its sleave. The pivot to the long game can't happen soon enough.
Was Russian tank columns being destroyed early on in the war helpful for the Russians by setting expectations too low?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26153 on: September 26, 2023, 05:12:57 AM »

https://www.linthzeitung.ch/politik/bern-auch-staenderat-will-25-leopard-panzer-ausser-dienst-stellen

The Swiss government has approved the decommissioning of 25 Leopard 2 tanks for resale to Germany.  Berlin assured that the Leopards would under no circumstances be transferred to Ukraine.  I have a feeling that Germany will soon be pressured to break this promise once they get their hands on these tanks.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26154 on: September 26, 2023, 05:20:58 AM »

https://www.linthzeitung.ch/politik/bern-auch-staenderat-will-25-leopard-panzer-ausser-dienst-stellen

The Swiss government has approved the decommissioning of 25 Leopard 2 tanks for resale to Germany.  Berlin assured that the Leopards would under no circumstances be transferred to Ukraine.  I have a feeling that Germany will soon be pressured to break this promise once they get their hands on these tanks.
Perhaps one thing they could do is give those tanks to some established units and then give some tanks of equivalent value to the Ukrainians instead, with the tanks just freed up by this move.
That would technically meet the promise.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26155 on: September 26, 2023, 05:49:45 AM »

The Ghost Of Black Sea Fleet?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #26156 on: September 26, 2023, 06:14:32 AM »
« Edited: September 26, 2023, 12:53:17 PM by CumbrianLefty »

Russian government: "We ArE vErY cOnCeRnEd AbOuT nEo-NaZiS iN tHe UkRaInIaN gOvErNmEnT."

Meanwhile people defending Russia's invasion of Ukraine:

In terms of WWII history, I am fairly revisionist, and while I still lean toward being more pro-Allies than pro-Axis. I am fairly empathetic to the Axis point of view.

More Ukrainians died in Stalin's genocide of Ukraine, which killed 3.9 million Ukrainians in the Holodomor, then Nazi Germany. The Soviet Union was just as evil as Nazi Germany. Stalin is the same evil dictator as Hitler.

I'm on record supporting Operation Unthinkable - it's a shame we didn't continue eastward and roll over the commies to liberate Eastern Europe and break the shackles of communism - so I am entirely consistent here.

Apart from anything else, support for this amongst the Western European population after six years of total war was close to absolute zero. Any attempt to actually do it would have led to major social unrest at the very least - and, ironically, Communists taking at least some degree in power in several Western countries. Despite everything, Russians were mostly seen as "good guys" in 1945 - even if that changed not so long after.

Historical revisionism from Cold War fanatics in the US does not alter these basic realities.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26157 on: September 26, 2023, 08:03:31 AM »
« Edited: September 26, 2023, 08:12:40 AM by Storr »

To be fair, it does look like Sokolov (the guy on the bottom left) might be doing it from a hospital bed.

Look at the chairs the other officers are using on the livestream. They appear different to Sokolov's, looking more like typical office chairs:

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26158 on: September 26, 2023, 09:14:29 AM »

When was the video recorded?

Also, why doesn't he move in the video?
bilaps
« Reply #26159 on: September 26, 2023, 09:15:52 AM »

He must be dead like Kadyrov. Give us another post from good ol' reliable Višegrad.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #26160 on: September 26, 2023, 10:05:39 AM »

On the lighter side of things, another Kharkiv tram was caught drifting:

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26161 on: September 26, 2023, 11:02:44 AM »

These will be used to replenish Germany's own stock.

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26162 on: September 26, 2023, 11:20:15 AM »
« Edited: September 26, 2023, 11:28:07 AM by pppolitics »

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26163 on: September 26, 2023, 11:25:07 AM »

https://www.wionews.com/world/trudeau-warns-of-russian-disinformation-against-ukraine-to-deflect-controversy-over-invite-to-nazi-veteran-639593

"Trudeau warns of Russian disinformation against Ukraine to deflect controversy over invite to Nazi veteran"

Trudeau to media: continued coverage of the controversial incident over the former Waffen SS solider in Canada parliament means you are enabling Russian disinformation
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26164 on: September 26, 2023, 11:40:55 AM »

Polish Minister of  Education and Science is now looking into asking Canada for the extradition of Yaroslav Hunka  to stand trial for crimes in WWII

Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #26165 on: September 26, 2023, 11:41:00 AM »

https://www.wionews.com/world/trudeau-warns-of-russian-disinformation-against-ukraine-to-deflect-controversy-over-invite-to-nazi-veteran-639593

"Trudeau warns of Russian disinformation against Ukraine to deflect controversy over invite to Nazi veteran"

Trudeau to media: continued coverage of the controversial incident over the former Waffen SS solider in Canada parliament means you are enabling Russian disinformation

Truly a copy+paste of US democrats lmao.

“You’re not allowed to criticize my biggest f*** ups otherwise you’re a Russian” lol
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26166 on: September 26, 2023, 11:49:20 AM »

One thing that is also interesting about this Yaroslav Hunka affair is we heard nothing from Zelensky.  It would make sense for Zelensky to come out and say something like:

"What Yaroslav Hunka and the 14th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (1st Galician) and the so-called 1st Ukrainian Division UNA do not represent Ukraine despite its self-proclaimed name.  The people of Ukraine denounce the criminal outfit which participated in atrocities.  They are no different from the war criminal Putin.  I was ashamed to be in the same room with him and I hope Canada gets to the bottom of this incident which led me to be a prop in this very shameful episode.  Once again the UNA is a criminal part of Ukrainian history and must be denounced in every way possible"

Instead, we hear nothing.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #26167 on: September 26, 2023, 12:21:51 PM »

Sharing this because this is the first time I've seen a Russian government account call Canada a "regime", like they consistently call Ukraine:

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #26168 on: September 26, 2023, 12:27:42 PM »

Sharing this because this is the first time I've seen a Russian government account call Canada a "regime", like they consistently call Ukraine:

To them anyone who doesn't kiss Putin's ass is a regime.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26169 on: September 26, 2023, 02:21:30 PM »

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26170 on: September 26, 2023, 02:45:08 PM »

This Rota moron couldn't have done more to legitimate the Putin-simp spin on the Ukrainian cause if he had tried. If he had decency he'd resign as Speaker and if he had character he'd resign as MP.

Okay, so he has decency. Let's see if that escalates to having character. I'm not holding my breath.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26171 on: September 26, 2023, 06:56:11 PM »

Perhaps this may help wean you off you fixation with current accounts. Did the US finance WWII off its current accounts?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/03/economy/russia-no-money-deripaska/index.html

https://news.yahoo.com/oligarch-predicted-russia-may-run-030549089.html

"An oligarch who predicted that Russia may run out of money next year is surprised the economy has held up so far"

Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska who in March (article above) predicted the collapse of the Russian economy in 2024 due to a lack of money now makes an about-turn in an interview with FT by saying he is "astonished by Russia's economic resilience."

"I was surprised that private business would be so flexible. I was more or less sure that up to 30% of the economy would collapse, but it was way less," said Deripaska, the founder of Rusal, a major aluminum producer.
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #26172 on: September 26, 2023, 09:33:06 PM »

Blaming an ethnic group for a military loss: where have I seen that before?

It is really funny how the Russian government keeps complaining about neo-Nazis in the Ukrainian government when the Russian government and military are straight up copying Hitler's playbook. You have Putin's invasion of Ukraine mirroring Hitler's invasion of Czechoslovakia, and now you have Russian soldiers blaming Chechens for military losses, just like how Nazi soldiers blamed Jews for losing WWI.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26173 on: September 26, 2023, 10:17:48 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2023, 10:21:14 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

Just so I don't get BigSerg'ed in the future, I want to unequivocally state that I think both parties are guilty of horrible crimes in this terrible joke of a war.

NATO was wrong to effect a coup in the Ukraine, and NATO is also to blame for the militarization of a country that was intended to act as a buffer state between NATO and Russia's respective spheres of influence.

Russia was wrong to invade on such a massive scale - had Russia occupied the Donbass, I'd be more inclined to argue in favor of their perspective. But Russia did not just occupy the Donbass - they went all the way into Kiev with the intent of installing a pliable regime and building a land bridge to the Crimea. So the Russians are even worse.

I do not support any active intervention or direct aid for either country. Sanctioning Russia has effectively driven China and Russia into each other's arms.

There. That is the official Sanchez position on the Ukraine. Nobody asked, but now Badger can't invent what I believe about the war and gaslight the forum about it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26174 on: September 26, 2023, 10:20:24 PM »

This is why I never cared about Russian misinformation. Who would be dumb enough to believe this anyway? It's so blatantly false that it isn't even good misinformation. Good misinformation is when you spread false information hidden behind a facade of credibility that can't be broken, much to the frustration of those you're arguing with.
Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 ... 1180  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies