Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:58:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 252 253 254 255 256 [257] 258 259 260 261 262 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 931338 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6400 on: March 08, 2022, 01:03:05 PM »
« edited: March 08, 2022, 01:22:46 PM by Storr »

Thank you Russia!

The modernization program to BVM specifications was started in only 2017 (according to wikipedia), so this is a like-new tank.  

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6401 on: March 08, 2022, 01:16:19 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6402 on: March 08, 2022, 01:17:21 PM »

It's actually a great way to turn up the heat. "Humanitarian corridors" were the first step in Libya.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6403 on: March 08, 2022, 01:28:11 PM »

AFP reports that President Volodymyr Zelensky said he is no longer pressing for NATO membership for Ukraine

This means a peace settlement is possible. Perhaps the Americans will not be so eager to give up their ambitions though and will try to strong-arm Zelensky into revoking this statement.

I still hope both Russia and Ukraine can come to their senses and work out a compromise where Ukraine has constitutional guarantees on being neutral while the two Donetsk Republics return to Ukraine as autonomous regions.  The Second condition is key especially now Russia is now much more dependent on PRC which would be very negative the the idea of independence.  The word independence is a big no no for PRC.  Autonomy yes, independence no.
I would support such a compromise to be honest. Of course while Ukraine may not need to be a part of NATO, Western countries still should definitely be working with the government to further improve the Ukrainian military to prevent future aggression.

Ukrainian neutrality guarantees (and possibly recognition of the Crimea fait accompli) were always a reasonable peace term as long as they were accompanied by Russia disengaging from Ukraine in good faith. We'll see if that "as long as" means anything, I suppose.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #6404 on: March 08, 2022, 01:31:22 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2022, 01:45:08 PM by Storr »

A thought that came to mind is that the Ukrainians could adopt a US-like program to recover, identify, and return as many individual soldiers' remains as possible (where and when this is feasible), not only for Ukrainians but also Russians. It would further promote their propaganda campaign aimed at Russian armed forces family members and the world at large. It's purpose has been to spread the message that they are the not neo-nazi fascists like the Kremlin claims and that the Russian people aren't their enemies.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6405 on: March 08, 2022, 01:33:43 PM »

No matter the final result of this war, Putin is utterly humiliated and has shown his card as a paper tiger. He will never be seen as he was the last 20 years again, either inside or outside Russia.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #6406 on: March 08, 2022, 01:39:40 PM »

AP reports McDonald’s Temporarily Closing 850 Restaurants in Russia

This is actually a great opportunity for Russian copycats of McDonald’s.  The PRC has tons of McDonald’s and KFC copycats.

Continuing to pay their employees as well.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #6407 on: March 08, 2022, 01:41:14 PM »

This is actually a great opportunity for Russian copycats of McDonald’s.  The PRC has tons of McDonald’s and KFC copycats.

Opening new restaurants with what capital exactly?
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #6408 on: March 08, 2022, 01:48:16 PM »

The implications of shooting down Russian planes are much worse than those of shooting down Libyan planes. Putin knows this too.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6409 on: March 08, 2022, 01:53:45 PM »

This is actually a great opportunity for Russian copycats of McDonald’s.  The PRC has tons of McDonald’s and KFC copycats.

Yes, and we're sure that you will jump in on this exciting new money making venture if given the opportunity.

Anyway, I will now accept my accolades.

As much as Russians are suffering from the effects of sanctions, they can still take solace in McDonalds (for now):

I just wrote an email to the customer service Addresses for PepsiCo and McDonald's, readily available at the respective websites. I advised that although my family uses their products regularly come out we henceforth will cease to do so, as Well As members of our small business, until they pull out of Russia while Ukraine is under attack, like other companies such as Microsoft and Coca-Cola.

As I stated in each, if Ukrainians can soldier on without heat, electricity, running water, or food, let alone the knowledge that they or their family members won't be killed by indiscriminate rushing bombing and rocket attacks, that I can live without my beloved Doritos/quarter pounders for as long as necessary.

And for those of you taking the "boycotts never work" stance, keep in mind that Coke was resisting calls for divestment as well but flipped in response to public pressure in just the last couple days.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #6410 on: March 08, 2022, 02:00:39 PM »

Big if true:
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #6411 on: March 08, 2022, 02:04:22 PM »

Seems true.

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6412 on: March 08, 2022, 02:05:42 PM »

The reports of Vasylivka and Polohy getting captured by the Russians appear to be true.
Russian troops have also reached Snihurivka.
The Southern front is collapsing at an alarming rate.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #6413 on: March 08, 2022, 02:07:52 PM »

AFP reports that President Volodymyr Zelensky said he is no longer pressing for NATO membership for Ukraine

This means a peace settlement is possible. Perhaps the Americans will not be so eager to give up their ambitions though and will try to strong-arm Zelensky into revoking this statement.

I still hope both Russia and Ukraine can come to their senses and work out a compromise where Ukraine has constitutional guarantees on being neutral while the two Donetsk Republics return to Ukraine as autonomous regions.  The Second condition is key especially now Russia is now much more dependent on PRC which would be very negative the the idea of independence.  The word independence is a big no no for PRC.  Autonomy yes, independence no.
I would support such a compromise to be honest. Of course while Ukraine may not need to be a part of NATO, Western countries still should definitely be working with the government to further improve the Ukrainian military to prevent future aggression.

Ukrainian neutrality guarantees (and possibly recognition of the Crimea fait accompli) were always a reasonable peace term as long as they were accompanied by Russia disengaging from Ukraine in good faith. We'll see if that "as long as" means anything, I suppose.

In the end though, the west should not, under any circumstances, unfreeze a single penny or lift any sanctions until Russia leaves the entirety of Ukraine—and that includes Crimea. Regardless of whether or not they illegally strong arm the Ukrainians into accepting its loss. The Russians decided to escalate this thing. Because of that, they don't just get to go back to normal until they pay a price and Crimea seems to be a decent enough price to pay.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #6414 on: March 08, 2022, 02:09:04 PM »

The reports of Vasylivka and Polohy getting captured by the Russians appear to be true.
Can you at least cite something when you doom?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #6415 on: March 08, 2022, 02:12:03 PM »

"Alarming rate" = 10 days after the Russians expected the entire country to collapse
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #6416 on: March 08, 2022, 02:51:48 PM »

Putin has created a situation where I somehow like one of Boris Johnson's ideas:

Though, I'd suggest the plan should support Moldova too. Despite not (currently?) facing war, it's the poorest country in Europe and desperately needs foreign investment/aid.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6417 on: March 08, 2022, 02:56:14 PM »

Germany already sold its entire MiG-29 fleet for a symbolic price of 1 Euro a piece to Poland back in 2004. These were the very same planes that will find their way to Ukraine now. We've been looking for years to get rid of our aging Tornados too (and replace them with either F/A-18E/Fs or F-35s) and these plans stand a good chance of being accelerated given the planned 100 billion Euro defense funding, but I don't know if they would be any use to Ukraine since their pilots aren't trained for them.

Speaking of Germany, the Russian gas/oil embargo debate is in full swing now here, with the FDP pushing for it hard and the SPD/Greens stalling on it. That's the very same set-up we orginally had in the arms shipment debate, until the FDP position essentially became the Scholz position.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #6418 on: March 08, 2022, 03:00:44 PM »

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/russia-restricts-import-export-listed-180229913.html

"Russia restricts import and export of listed goods and raw materials - Interfax"

No details on what raw materials and nature of retrictions.  I guess details are forthcoming.  The decoupling continues.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #6419 on: March 08, 2022, 03:04:12 PM »

Opening new restaurants with what capital exactly?

The sanctions have not removed the Russian workforce, raw materials, and food from the Russian economy,  The Russian domestic economy that does not require foreign cash to import key inputs continues to operate and for people that want to take risks and make money there is nothing stopping them from building various copycats as long as they think people will go to them now that McDonald's is no longer an option.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6420 on: March 08, 2022, 03:15:40 PM »

CIA director believes that around 13,000 to 14,000 have been arrested in Russi for protesting against the invasion.
https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-03-08-22/index.html
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6421 on: March 08, 2022, 03:17:47 PM »

Can you at least cite something when you doom?
https://bnn-news.com/ukraine-after-11th-night-of-war-mayor-killed-towns-taken-moscow-promises-civilian-corridors-to-russia-233013
ugabug
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -4.35

« Reply #6422 on: March 08, 2022, 03:38:16 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #6423 on: March 08, 2022, 03:40:11 PM »

Putin has created a situation where I somehow like one of Boris Johnson's ideas:

Though, I'd suggest the plan should support Moldova too. Despite not (currently?) facing war, it's the poorest country in Europe and desperately needs foreign investment/aid.

Actually, when looking up the poorest UN member (sorry Kosovo) countries in Europe by the most used statistics for measuring wealth, nominal GDP per capita and GDP Purchasing Power Parity per capita, it isn't clear which country is the poorest. But, there are two countries which are the only countries to hold the bottom two stops, even when looking at 2020 and 2019 data: Moldova and Ukraine.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita
ugabug
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -4.35

« Reply #6424 on: March 08, 2022, 03:42:28 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 252 253 254 255 256 [257] 258 259 260 261 262 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length