Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 04:23:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 [201] 202 203 204 205 206 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 925304 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5000 on: March 01, 2022, 07:10:01 PM »

There she goes...

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5001 on: March 01, 2022, 07:10:17 PM »

Time for your meds Mr Green. You can post in the Ukraine thread again in the morning.

Thanks for reminding me about my greens and as it is currently only about 4:00 PM PST, I believe I will continue to share information for a bit longer, especially since many Atlas members do not have access to some of the paid news sites, so I figure it's a contribution to share the written word otherwise buried behind the Paywalls, since we have many others on this thread data mining Twitter videos, providing maps, and proving their own contributions in a myriad of fashions, and I have but my own simple style meal to offer.  Sad

I believe I did post some recent stuff regarding Australia and New Zealand and maybe you can share some updates from Down Under, since we don't have nearly as much coverage how this is playing out there vs Europe and the US?    Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5002 on: March 01, 2022, 07:10:19 PM »

If Putin decides to blow Ukrainian cities to bits from missiles, because his troops have no stomach for carrying out his mad designs, killing tens of thousands of civilians, that is a red line. At that point it is no fly zone time. If Putin can kill from the air in that way, then it is time to close such air from being an arterial for the commission of such unspeakable acts.

And in tandem, I would hope and trust that considerable thought  is being given to the state of Putin's health.

Easy to say from a back bencher I understand. Biden is earning his pay these days. This is where the rubber meets the road. The rest relatively speaking is noise. I hope and trust this is the focus of his SOTU.
The issue is you cannot enforce that no-fly zone without starting WWIII.

At some point one cannot enable evil by the threat of MAD. Where the line is drawn is up for debate. That is why the easiest way out of the box would involve the state of Putin's health. I just don't believe Russia is in sync with Putin here. I feel bad for young people. It  is just so sad.
Splash
United States

« Reply #5003 on: March 01, 2022, 07:11:11 PM »

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5004 on: March 01, 2022, 07:13:09 PM »

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #5005 on: March 01, 2022, 07:14:18 PM »

Also, it's clear that China got it right when it decided to ring-fence its internet, bar Western internet and social media companies that wouldn't meet its requirements, which turned out to be all of them, and develop domestic alternatives. Facebook and Twitter are turning out to be huge national security nightmares for Russia as they are clearly intervening on behalf of the Ukrainians and banning them now could cause backlash as there may not be an alternative (maybe Telegram?) and Russians are used to using them. China would not face this issue at all. Yes it's annoying to use the internet in China particularly to browse foreign websites but national security is more important than my convenience.
You are a pathetic excuse of a human who is desirous of oppression, we know this.

Preferring authoritarianism to libertarianism is a valid position to take.

No, actually.

Not everyone has the same values as you, Dule.

True, some people have values that are just wrong by any reasonable standard. Their beliefs are not "valid" though, if the word valid is to have any meaning.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5006 on: March 01, 2022, 07:14:20 PM »

If Putin decides to blow Ukrainian cities to bits from missiles, because his troops have no stomach for carrying out his mad designs, killing tens of thousands of civilians, that is a red line. At that point it is no fly zone time. If Putin can kill from the air in that way, then it is time to close such air from being an arterial for the commission of such unspeakable acts.

And in tandem, I would hope and trust that considerable thought  is being given to the state of Putin's health.

Easy to say from a back bencher I understand. Biden is earning his pay these days. This is where the rubber meets the road. The rest relatively speaking is noise. I hope and trust this is the focus of his SOTU.

The problem is that a red line is needed somewhere. That logic means he could invade half of Europe and USA would still do nothing.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #5007 on: March 01, 2022, 07:15:58 PM »

Also, it's clear that China got it right when it decided to ring-fence its internet, bar Western internet and social media companies that wouldn't meet its requirements, which turned out to be all of them, and develop domestic alternatives. Facebook and Twitter are turning out to be huge national security nightmares for Russia as they are clearly intervening on behalf of the Ukrainians and banning them now could cause backlash as there may not be an alternative (maybe Telegram?) and Russians are used to using them. China would not face this issue at all. Yes it's annoying to use the internet in China particularly to browse foreign websites but national security is more important than my convenience.
You are a pathetic excuse of a human who is desirous of oppression, we know this.

No, actually.

Exactly, which is why I don't have the right to impose my values on them. Hence why authoritarianism is inherently wrong.

Except some think imposing values on others isn’t inherently wrong. Which is a valid position to take.

Hypocrisy is never valid, and authoritarianism is inherently hypocritical.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5008 on: March 01, 2022, 07:21:52 PM »

Don't know if this has alredy been reported on here, but the 40-mile long Russian mega convoy (I guess Putin would call it a Freedom Convoy Tongue ) that was advancing on Kiev from the north has come to a halt apparently. They've run out of fuel.

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5009 on: March 01, 2022, 07:24:18 PM »

40 Mile Convoy Update

So I posted earlier regarding some more detailed analysis of the composition of the vast "40 Mile Convoy" heading towards Kiev, and assuming that some of you have already read it (and don't want to have to reread that article), will simply post a link here:

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=469771.msg8504073#msg8504073

Now, we have The Guardian with a few additional data analytical points, which I don't believe anybody else has posted.

(Excerpt from link at bottom live feed)

Dead centre of the picture, circulated by the satellite company Maxar Technologies on Sunday, a small clearing is visible, and next to it, on the road heading south towards the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, a small proportion of a vast convoy of Russian military vehicles – estimated to be 40 miles long – accompanied by 15,000 troops.

In places, the military vehicles can be seen three abreast, almost blocking the road. Other images of the convoy seem to explain its belligerent purpose: fuel tankers and trucks carrying food, ammunition and soldiers.

Elsewhere, just visible are the shapes of towed and self-propelled artillery pieces, BMP3 armoured carriers and Russian main tanks. In places you can see the tracks of Russian vehicles that have gone off the road – perhaps to scout against attack from the flanks – visible in the fresh snow covering the fields.

And in some images released by Maxar on Monday, troops appeared to have arrived at where they would halt, deploying in camps outside the city, including in and around the town of Zdvyzhivka, to the north of Kyiv

On Tuesday the head of the convoy was reportedly passing near the heavily contested Hostomel airbase 17 miles north of Kyiv’s city centre. There are fears that the force in the convoy could be deployed against the nearby district of Obolonskyi, the adjacent village of Horenka, and the main roads running through Obolonskyi towards the city’s centre

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/01/vast-russian-military-convoy-kyiv-siege-ukraine

Your Humble Servant NOVA merely passing on the news.....
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5010 on: March 01, 2022, 07:26:35 PM »

Don't know if this has alredy been reported on here, but the 40-mile long Russian mega convoy (I guess Putin would call it a Freedom Convoy Tongue ) that was advancing on Kiev from the north has come to a halt apparently. They've run out of fuel.

"What if Visser Three from Animorphs got really into the Keystone Kops, then became real and was put in charge of a real military?"

This was supposed to be the logistics convoy!
Omega21

« Reply #5011 on: March 01, 2022, 07:28:04 PM »

Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #5012 on: March 01, 2022, 07:30:42 PM »

Allahu akbar!
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #5013 on: March 01, 2022, 07:31:06 PM »

40 Mile Convoy Update

So I posted earlier regarding some more detailed analysis of the composition of the vast "40 Mile Convoy" heading towards Kiev, and assuming that some of you have already read it (and don't want to have to reread that article), will simply post a link here:

Now, we have The Guardian with a few additional data analytical points, which I don't believe anybody else has posted.

Dead centre of the picture, circulated by the satellite company Maxar Technologies on Sunday, a small clearing is visible, and next to it, on the road heading south towards the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, a small proportion of a vast convoy of Russian military vehicles – estimated to be 40 miles long – accompanied by 15,000 troops.

In places, the military vehicles can be seen three abreast, almost blocking the road. Other images of the convoy seem to explain its belligerent purpose: fuel tankers and trucks carrying food, ammunition and soldiers.

Elsewhere, just visible are the shapes of towed and self-propelled artillery pieces, BMP3 armoured carriers and Russian main tanks. In places you can see the tracks of Russian vehicles that have gone off the road – perhaps to scout against attack from the flanks – visible in the fresh snow covering the fields.

And in some images released by Maxar on Monday, troops appeared to have arrived at where they would halt, deploying in camps outside the city, including in and around the town of Zdvyzhivka, to the north of Kyiv

On Tuesday the head of the convoy was reportedly passing near the heavily contested Hostomel airbase 17 miles north of Kyiv’s city centre. There are fears that the force in the convoy could be deployed against the nearby district of Obolonskyi, the adjacent village of Horenka, and the main roads running through Obolonskyi towards the city’s centre

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/01/vast-russian-military-convoy-kyiv-siege-ukraine

I’m getting exceptionally pissed than Ukraine wasn’t given buckets of drones and MLRS. We are sitting here watching the progress of the to be butchers of Kyiv and no one seems able to do a damn thing about it. A few Reapers would have cleaned the whole thing up.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5014 on: March 01, 2022, 07:35:29 PM »

The problem is that a red line is needed somewhere. That logic means he could invade half of Europe and USA would still do nothing.
The red line is a NATO country, not Ukraine.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #5015 on: March 01, 2022, 07:35:46 PM »

40 Mile Convoy Update

I’m getting exceptionally pissed than Ukraine wasn’t given buckets of drones and MLRS. We are sitting here watching the progress of the to be butchers of Kyiv and no one seems able to do a damn thing about it. A few Reapers would have cleaned the whole thing up.

Thank you for stating this. Gives awareness of how dangerous this convoy still is despite its operational faults.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #5016 on: March 01, 2022, 07:35:59 PM »

There hasn’t been much new in international reactions and I’m waiting for the UNGA 11th Special Session vote*, but a few bits:

Two things of interest:
Qatar votes Yes, shaming the UAE.
Bolivia votes Yes, shaming tankies worldwide.

Also, The Philippines will vote to condemn Russia.

Also also, both Andorra and San Marino will participate in sanctions against Russia, in the case of Andorra this is the first time they’ve ever leveled sanctions against a country.

*Although the words “Russia is isolated” keep popping up. Fancy that.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5017 on: March 01, 2022, 07:37:57 PM »

Bu... but Comrade Putin has said in Soviet Russia you don't need large banks and financial institutions.
Splash
United States

« Reply #5018 on: March 01, 2022, 07:38:57 PM »

"What if Visser Three from Animorphs got really into the Keystone Kops, then became real and was put in charge of a real military?"

Russia: Sends fuel trucks to refuel beleaguered and depleted front line units

Fuel trucks: Run out of fuel before reaching the front line
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5019 on: March 01, 2022, 07:40:52 PM »

Putin’s a cartoon supervillain!
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #5020 on: March 01, 2022, 07:41:59 PM »

https://polymarket.com/market/will-volodymyr-zelenskyy-be-ukraines-president-on-april-22-2022

Polymarket: Will Volodymyr Zelenskyy be President of Ukraine on April 22, 2022? is now trading at 48/52
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5021 on: March 01, 2022, 07:48:04 PM »

No, actually.

Exactly, which is why I don't have the right to impose my values on them. Hence why authoritarianism is inherently wrong.

Except some think imposing values on others isn’t inherently wrong. Which is a valid position to take.

Hypocrisy is never valid, and authoritarianism is inherently hypocritical.

It’s not, really. One might say it’s not really self-aware. But there’s nothing inherently hypocritical about being authoritarian. And either way, an allegation of hypocrisy is an attack on behavior, not on idealogy.
Omega21

« Reply #5022 on: March 01, 2022, 07:49:58 PM »

Well, not that unexpected to be honest..

Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #5023 on: March 01, 2022, 07:50:06 PM »

certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5024 on: March 01, 2022, 07:50:47 PM »

Uh oh