Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:21:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 128 129 130 ... 1171
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 919812 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3100 on: February 26, 2022, 10:43:18 AM »

Holy moly, it seems like Russia is moving troops in Belarus near the Polish border. Putin apparently wants to threaten NATO.

I assume that if Putin is insane enough to invade Poland, it would drag all of NATO into this?
No way he does this…right?
But if he does, he will have made the bed.

Almost poetic, World War Two began with Poland, World War Three would begin with Poland.

Although if we are being honest, it’s more likely he is doing this in preparation of an offensive into NW Ukraine.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3101 on: February 26, 2022, 10:44:39 AM »

I assume that if Putin is insane enough to invade Poland, it would drag all of NATO into this?
yes, of course
I feel what's more likely is an invasion of Western Ukraine from the north. Brest is the closest large Belarussian city to the Ukranian-Belarussian border in the west.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #3102 on: February 26, 2022, 10:48:37 AM »

Seems like Russian gains all around today. I suppose the Brest contingency might move south to threaten Lvov
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3103 on: February 26, 2022, 10:50:35 AM »

Russia's struggles in Ukraine dont send good signals to China for Taiwan. The Russia Army is better equipped and there isn't a straight between the invader and the invaded.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3104 on: February 26, 2022, 10:53:52 AM »

yes, of course

Tbh, not necessarily. If you further spin this and if Putin is insane enough, he could just demand Poland and Baltics to leave NATO or be occupied/annexed by Russia and threaten nuclear warfare. NATO HQ - or de facto Joe Biden - would be left with the decision to either surrender said countries or start WWIII with millions of deaths. I'm not sure millions of Europeans in France, Germany, Netherlands etc. and millions of Americans would be willing to die to have vast parts of their countries as nuclear deserts because of a bunch of Eastern European countries.

Not that I think this is likely, though Putin could for whatever reason decide it was worth the risk.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #3105 on: February 26, 2022, 10:55:39 AM »
« Edited: February 26, 2022, 11:00:19 AM by Alcibiades »

Better late than never…
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3106 on: February 26, 2022, 10:57:46 AM »

Bosphorus closed to Russian navy.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #3107 on: February 26, 2022, 10:58:36 AM »

Russia's struggles in Ukraine dont send good signals to China for Taiwan. The Russia Army is better equipped and there isn't a straight between the invader and the invaded.
An invasion to Taiwan would be the largest amphibious operation in history. World War scales. The Chinese are not going to be up to that for decades
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3108 on: February 26, 2022, 10:59:20 AM »

Seems like Russian gains all around today. I suppose the Brest contingency might move south to threaten Lvov
If Russia can connect their forces in the East with the South it will look dire!

I very much admire President Zelenskyys Resistance BUT there is something like false heroism.

This War I feel will not have a better outcome like the 2008 War in Georgia. It maybe delayed but inevitably Ukrainian Forces will be pushed further and further back.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3109 on: February 26, 2022, 10:59:52 AM »

Turkey says it hasn't.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3110 on: February 26, 2022, 11:01:01 AM »

Turkey says it hasn't.

Ah saw it on twitter nm then
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3111 on: February 26, 2022, 11:01:14 AM »

This is false! Montreux Protocol prohibits it!
compucomp

« Reply #3112 on: February 26, 2022, 11:01:52 AM »

Agree. You cannot overstate the morale boost he is providing.

I commend Zelensky's personal courage. He may have done a poor job preparing his nation for war, but there's no doubt he is now raising the morale of his nation and boosting their will to fight. Looks like it was enough for the Ukrainians to hold Kiev for now, but he is still under threat and if he were captured it would crush Ukrainian morale. He either has a highly secret (and likely highly dangerous) plan to evacuate when he is under imminent threat, or it is his intention to become a martyr. Nothing of the former has leaked so I think the latter is a real possibility.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3113 on: February 26, 2022, 11:04:38 AM »

Russians claim that they halted their operations later yesterday due to the prospect of talks with Ukraine.  It seems that Ukraine has since rejected these talks, as per the Russians, so now Putin has already ordered a resumption of the offensive.

Was there a chance to stall the Russians long enough to get resituated? Or was Putin lying as a cover that he was caught with his pants down and needed time to pull them up?
Given the fuel shortages we are hearing about, I’m guessing it was stall tactic because the logistics hadn’t actually been sorted.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3114 on: February 26, 2022, 11:05:56 AM »

Russian born (he now has dual Russian/American citizenship) National Hockey League star Alexander Ovetchkin, who's already one of the greatest of all time and has always publicly shown support for Putin said "Please, no more war" last night.

""Well, he's my president. But, how I said, I'm not in politics. I'm an athlete," Ochevkin replied. "How I said, hope everything's going to be done soon. It's a hard situation right now for both sides. Everything, like how I said, everything I hope is going to be end, and I'm not in control of situation.""

""Please, no more war," he urged. "Doesn't matter who's in the war. Russia. Ukraine. Different countries. I think we live in a world like we have to live in peace and a great world.""

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/25/sport/ovechkin-nhl-war/index.html

Generic war is and seems to be the safe take if you are a Russian celebrity. Actually outright condemning Putin would put you in a bad place back home.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #3115 on: February 26, 2022, 11:07:40 AM »

Tbh, not necessarily. If you further spin this and if Putin is insane enough, he could just demand Poland and Baltics to leave NATO or be occupied/annexed by Russia and threaten nuclear warfare. NATO HQ - or de facto Joe Biden - would be left with the decision to either surrender said countries or start WWIII with millions of deaths. I'm not sure millions of Europeans in France, Germany, Netherlands etc. and millions of Americans would be willing to die to have vast parts of their countries as nuclear deserts because of a bunch of Eastern European countries.

Not that I think this is likely, though Putin could for whatever reason decide it was worth the risk.
Extremely unlikely scenario. If any EU countries are attacked, the rest of the EU will absolutely respond, and I have no doubt there would be more than enough public support for it in most countries.

In any case, all of this probably already means an EU army will be set up.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #3116 on: February 26, 2022, 11:09:03 AM »

Yulia Tymoshenko, Yury Luzenko and other deputies of the Verkhovna Rada are armed as well.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3117 on: February 26, 2022, 11:09:03 AM »

Article 19 gives Turkey that power, as it forbids countries at war from using it.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3118 on: February 26, 2022, 11:09:46 AM »

I commend Zelensky's personal courage. He may have done a poor job preparing his nation for war, but there's no doubt he is now raising the morale of his nation and boosting their will to fight. Looks like it was enough for the Ukrainians to hold Kiev for now, but he is still under threat and if he were captured it would crush Ukrainian morale. He either has a highly secret (and likely highly dangerous) plan to evacuate when he is under imminent threat, or it is his intention to become a martyr. Nothing of the former has leaked so I think the latter is a real possibility.
Agree with you here totally!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3119 on: February 26, 2022, 11:14:41 AM »

I feel that, like Putin, Zelensky also wants its place in the history books, but in a rather different role.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3120 on: February 26, 2022, 11:15:01 AM »

Article 19 gives Turkey that power, as it forbids countries at war from using it.
It also says Ships must be allowed to their Home Bases!
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #3121 on: February 26, 2022, 11:17:57 AM »

The ROC media is talking about, ironically, going through a PRC payment messaging system, for trade with Russia in case SWIFT takes Russia offline.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3122 on: February 26, 2022, 11:19:25 AM »

It also says Ships must be allowed to their Home Bases!

I somehow doubt most of the Russian Fleet is based in the Black Sea. There must be a significant part based at Kaliningrad.

Also, Article 21 can also be used to delay.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3123 on: February 26, 2022, 11:21:22 AM »

Might be a ridiculous question, though it just crossed my mind whether there's any possibility that Mr. Putin will be indicted before the Den Haag International Criminal Court? Or whether it's somehow possible that an international arrest warrant for war crimes is issued? So he couldn't leave Russia or enter any country that would enforce such?
Logical

« Reply #3124 on: February 26, 2022, 11:23:55 AM »

He probably got lost or something but this is very embarrassing.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 128 129 130 ... 1171  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies