Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 11:57:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 779 780 781 782 783 [784] 785 786 787 788 789 ... 1181
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 969292 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19575 on: February 26, 2023, 05:07:20 AM »

Liveuamap implies that the dam blew itself up.
Hollywood
« Reply #19576 on: February 26, 2023, 06:25:02 AM »
« Edited: February 26, 2023, 06:35:39 AM by Hollywood »

Excellent Map illustrating the battle lines in-and-around Bakhmut on 2/25/2023.  The Ukrainians have focused their best troops along the ridge line from Orikhovo-Vasylivka to Chasiv Yar in order to protect their flanks.  They have at least 10 brigades trying to hold the line NW of Bakhmut from Wagner Assaults on the last road in-and-out of Bakhmut.  Wagner is advancing along the higher terrain, and  are effectively utilizing artillery and infantry to break-through Ukrainian positions.  The advance has caused Ukrainians to become disorganized and disoriented, and naturally, resulted in large casualties among their well-trained brigades.  I think the AFU is extremely worried about the Wagner army cutting-off these brigades from Chasiv Yar, and may have panicked today by blowing up the damn.  

In the New York axis, the Russian Army and Wagner have started advancing on Krasnohorivka, in addition to pushing out from NovoBakhmutivka, in order to start taking high ground around both New York and Avdiivka.  They've also taken the hills SW of Avdiivka.  

Near Vulhedar, the Ukrainians are still blunting Russian Army offensives. 

On the Kreminna to Kupyasnk axis, the Russians have pretty much stalled the Ukrainian line, and the AFU has had to brought-in more defensive brigades to replenish their depleted manpower around Kupyansk. The Russians have made some gains towards the Ukrainian line from Torske to Nevske.  According to the map, the Russians have 14 brigades sitting-back to the east of Krasna River (east of Kreminna).   

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19577 on: February 26, 2023, 06:29:35 AM »

The real battle for Donbas will be the fight for the high ground between Bakhmut and Slovyansk-Kramatorsk-Kostyantynivka which is the battle yet to come.

Ukraine should pull out of Bakhmut ASAP to reinforce their positions on the high ground between Bakhmut and Slovyansk-Kramatorsk-Kostyantynivka.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19578 on: February 26, 2023, 06:36:51 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/02/25/world/russia-ukraine-news#macron-says-he-will-visit-china-and-praises-beijings-efforts-on-a-peace-plan

Macron must have a very low regard for the perspicacity of his French constituents. He called “Beijing’s engagement in peace efforts for Ukraine “a good thing” and said that he would travel to China in early April.” … And then in the next breath says that … “he made clear that peace would be possible only if Russian aggression were stopped, its troops withdrawn and the territorial sovereignty of Ukraine and its people respected.” And this is all in the face of “Beijing … considering giving Russia lethal aid for use in Ukraine, and signs that China’s leadership is disinclined to distance itself from President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia.”

I don’t know who Macron is fooling. Perhaps it is himself. Or maybe he just likes seeing his handsome face in the limelight. I have to assume that Macron is not an idiot, and thus is not under any illusion that Xi really gives a damn what Macron thinks. Why should he?

Well, due to the fact that France has an independent military, it always wanted to be more independent on the geopolitical scene going back to De Gaulle.  This PRC "peace plan" is to score points with the Global South so France has to secure its own position with Francophone Global South states vis-a-vis PRC by not looking like it is unreasonable.

Besides, why does this logic not apply to Zelensky?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russia-ukraine-war-china-peace-plan-zelenskyy-xi-jinping-meeting-putin-rcna72317

"Zelenskyy plans to meet Xi Jinping after China proposes Russia peace plan"
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19579 on: February 26, 2023, 07:08:33 AM »

Same survey
India's perception of the war is totally different from the collective West and thinks in greater numbers that Russia is strong even more than Russia itself.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19580 on: February 26, 2023, 08:31:44 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/02/25/world/russia-ukraine-news#macron-says-he-will-visit-china-and-praises-beijings-efforts-on-a-peace-plan

Macron must have a very low regard for the perspicacity of his French constituents. He called “Beijing’s engagement in peace efforts for Ukraine “a good thing” and said that he would travel to China in early April.” … And then in the next breath says that … “he made clear that peace would be possible only if Russian aggression were stopped, its troops withdrawn and the territorial sovereignty of Ukraine and its people respected.” And this is all in the face of “Beijing … considering giving Russia lethal aid for use in Ukraine, and signs that China’s leadership is disinclined to distance itself from President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia.”

I don’t know who Macron is fooling. Perhaps it is himself. Or maybe he just likes seeing his handsome face in the limelight. I have to assume that Macron is not an idiot, and thus is not under any illusion that Xi really gives a damn what Macron thinks. Why should he?

Well, due to the fact that France has an independent military, it always wanted to be more independent on the geopolitical scene going back to De Gaulle.  This PRC "peace plan" is to score points with the Global South so France has to secure its own position with Francophone Global South states vis-a-vis PRC by not looking like it is unreasonable.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russia-ukraine-war-china-peace-plan-zelenskyy-xi-jinping-meeting-putin-rcna72317

Zelinsky getting into the mix after my post is a somewhat surprising development. My guess is maybe he thinks it might assist in forestalling PRC military aid to Russia.

France's continued interest in the Francophone global south is just so French.
Logical

« Reply #19581 on: February 26, 2023, 09:22:46 AM »

I think we can safely declare that Russia's infrastructure campaign against Ukraine has failed. It was never going to succeed anyway because Russia could never sustain the rate of fire required to permanently knock out the Ukrainian power grid. In the end they will have wasted hundreds of missiles for minimal military value.
Hollywood
« Reply #19582 on: February 26, 2023, 10:03:48 AM »

Zelinsky getting into the mix after my post is a somewhat surprising development. My guess is maybe he thinks it might assist in forestalling PRC military aid to Russia.

My guess is that your reading way too deep into a fabricated, out-of-context quote that was wrongly published by a number of fake news outlets, because the actual quote portrayed Zelensky in a negative light.  That wouldn't surprise me.  Why would NBC not post the video (authoritative source)?  Instead of posting the actual evidence to support their assertion, they intentionally published a different video of Zelensky speaking after Joe Biden visited Ukraine.  

Per the authoritative source, when asked about recent news regarding China's 12-Point Peace Plan that he had not read, Zelensky stated, "[T]his is at least something, and I think that we would be safe to assume that if there are ideas that are aligned with the idea of respect for International Law, territorial integrity, and some security considerations, we need to put that to good use.  We need to work on that with China.  Why not?  Our task is to get everyone together to isolate that someone [Putin or Russia]."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27yO97drU8k&t=23s.  

Per the AP, "Zelenskyy said Friday that his main goal was making sure China doesn’t supply weapons to Russia. And he expressed hope that China’s involvement could be useful in isolating Russia. 'Our task is to gather everyone to isolate the one,' he said."  

Therefore, Zelensky wasn't planning to meet with Xi Jinping.  He merely made a flippant or perfunctory remark that he would work with [insert any country, except Russia] to achieve a bunch of general goals for his country, but his only serious motivation for working with countries like China is to isolate Russia. Why not?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19583 on: February 26, 2023, 10:15:19 AM »

My guess is that your reading way too deep into a fabricated, out-of-context quote that was wrongly published by a number of fake news outlets, because the actual quote portrayed Zelensky in a negative light.  That wouldn't surprise me.  Why would NBC not post the video (authoritative source)?  Instead of posting the actual evidence to support their assertion, they intentionally published a different video of Zelensky speaking after Joe Biden visited Ukraine.  

Per the authoritative source, when asked about recent news regarding China's 12-Point Peace Plan that he had not read, Zelensky stated, "[T]his is at least something, and I think that we would be safe to assume that if there are ideas that are aligned with the idea of respect for International Law, territorial integrity, and some security considerations, we need to put that to good use.  We need to work on that with China.  Why not?  Our task is to get everyone together to isolate that someone [Putin or Russia]."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27yO97drU8k&t=23s.  

Per the AP, "Zelenskyy said Friday that his main goal was making sure China doesn’t supply weapons to Russia. And he expressed hope that China’s involvement could be useful in isolating Russia. 'Our task is to gather everyone to isolate the one,' he said."  

Therefore, Zelensky wasn't planning to meet with Xi Jinping.  He merely made a flippant or perfunctory remark that he would work with [insert any country, except Russia] to achieve a bunch of general goals for his country, but his only serious motivation for working with countries like China is to isolate Russia. Why not?

Time to take a deep breath and calm down perhaps?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=video+of+zelensky+saying+he+wanted+to+meet+with+xi#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:150b4c8c,vid:qdzsPwyxtYw
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19584 on: February 26, 2023, 10:22:41 AM »

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=video+of+zelensky+saying+he+wanted+to+meet+with+xi#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:150b4c8c,vid:qdzsPwyxtYw

You’re talking to a poster who got kicked off this thread last year for going on an unhinged rant about how Zelenskyy was going to blow up a nuclear power plant and we need to assassinate him before he does. Don’t think taking a deep breath and calming down is in their nature
Hollywood
« Reply #19585 on: February 26, 2023, 11:47:17 AM »

Okay.  I found it at 54:30.  Full Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvBJppHbq6k

Question: How do you plan to get South African and China on your side? 

Answer: "There are countries geopolitically far from Ukraine.  And South Africa... What can you tell them?  How do you encourage them to side with us?  First of all, I plan to meet with Xi Jinping, and I think that would be useful to our countries and global security.  We have a significant commodities turnover, trade with China, and uh, well, we are the countries interested in preserving our economic relations.  As far as I know, China respects territorial integrity" 

I don't know why NBCNews doesn't put the source of their information in their article when its accessible?  I'm from the legal world.  If you don't provide your evidence to the court ('of public opinion' in Journalism), your claims have no basis.  You have failed your duty of candor and due diligence, and you should look for work in another profession before you are disbarred, and then publicly shamed, in our Professional Newsletter. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19586 on: February 26, 2023, 11:54:18 AM »

Okay.  I found it at 54:30.  Full Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvBJppHbq6k

Question: How do you plan to get South African and China on your side? 

Answer: "There are countries geopolitically far from Ukraine.  And South Africa... What can you tell them?  How do you encourage them to side with us?  First of all, I plan to meet with Xi Jinping, and I think that would be useful to our countries and global security.  We have a significant commodities turnover, trade with China, and uh, well, we are the countries interested in preserving our economic relations.  As far as I know, China respects territorial integrity" 

I don't know why NBCNews doesn't put the source of their information in their article when its accessible?  I'm from the legal world.  If you don't provide your evidence to the court ('of public opinion' in Journalism), your claims have no basis.  You have failed your duty of candor and due diligence, and you should look for work in another profession before you are disbarred, and then publicly shamed, in our Professional Newsletter. 

My deepest sympathies. No matter the gravity of you sins, you certainly did not deserve that fate.
Hollywood
« Reply #19587 on: February 26, 2023, 12:21:27 PM »

You’re talking to a poster who got kicked off this thread last year for going on an unhinged rant about how Zelenskyy was going to blow up a nuclear power plant and we need to assassinate him before he does. Don’t think taking a deep breath and calming down is in their nature

All your rants are unhinged rants.  I was never kicked off the thread for a post, so that's BS.  

And yes.  Zelensky did fire artillery at the nuclear power plant, and he kept doing it cause people like you wouldn't hold him accountable.  Ukraine first denied it, and then admitted to it. The Army claimed that they shelled the area, because Russia was hiding artillery at the nuclear power plant, but the IAEA couldn't find satellite or ground evidence.  Zelensky did attempt to blow up the nuclear power plant for some reason, and then blamed the Russians.   Only F-ing lemmings are still under the delusion that Russia fired artillery shells at their own position, and you people were just going to let it happen.  You were crying when Amnesty International evidenced Ukrainian War Crimes in their report.  LOL.  
https://rumble.com/v1vvhxw-shelling-of-the-zaporozhye-nuclear-power-plant-by-ukrainian-forces.html

"The Ukrainian army said on Friday that it had bombed the town of Energodar, which is occupied by Russian troops and where UN inspectors are still conducting a visit of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant."  https://www.lemonde.fr/en/international/article/2022/09/02/ukraine-says-it-bombed-russian-base-near-occupied-nuclear-plant_5995650_4.html
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19588 on: February 26, 2023, 01:48:47 PM »

If this is true 👀 😗
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19589 on: February 26, 2023, 02:44:56 PM »

If this is true 👀 😗

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #19590 on: February 26, 2023, 02:56:20 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #19591 on: February 26, 2023, 03:19:37 PM »

Possible update:

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19592 on: February 26, 2023, 03:21:13 PM »

Possible update:

We have reached the "Hearts of Iron 4 encirclements" part of the campaign.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #19593 on: February 26, 2023, 03:46:17 PM »

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19594 on: February 26, 2023, 03:50:04 PM »

If this is true 👀 😗
It’s true 🙌

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19595 on: February 26, 2023, 03:54:37 PM »

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1733982/one-year-on-huge-majority-of-ukrainians-confident-of-victory

"One year on, a huge majority of Ukrainians confident of victory"

Some 95 percent of Ukrainians are confident of their country’s victory against invading Russian forces

Seventeen percent of respondents said they had lost a loved one in the war, nearly doubling from 9 percent six months ago.

At least one-third of the working population lost their jobs, the survey said.

This poll which says 17% of respondents said they had lost a loved one in the war has a breakdown by region on that question.

West: 21%
Center: 18%
South: 12%
East: 14%

Well, I have to give credit to the Ukrainians.  The rate of mobilization and death seems much more concentrated in areas with stronger Ukrainian nationalism.   I give them credit for putting their money where their mouth is.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19596 on: February 26, 2023, 04:08:58 PM »

Seems like the guy in charge of the Ukraine military effort in Donbas has just been fired.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #19597 on: February 26, 2023, 04:11:53 PM »

Interesting stuff:

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19598 on: February 26, 2023, 05:33:25 PM »

Russian desk diplomacy.  Spot the difference.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19599 on: February 26, 2023, 06:02:19 PM »

Interesting stuff:

Tell that to Sahra Wagenknecht.
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 781 782 783 [784] 785 786 787 788 789 ... 1181  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length