Canada Federal Representation 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 04:45:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada Federal Representation 2024
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 35
Author Topic: Canada Federal Representation 2024  (Read 51484 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: March 08, 2022, 02:57:53 PM »

Looking at PEI, it's unlikely we will have no change again, as the current map splits the municipality of North Shore between Cardigan and Malpeque. It wasn't a problem before the merger of Grand Tracadie (in Cardigan) and Pleasant Grove (in Malpeque) into North Shore (also in Malpeque).
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #176 on: March 08, 2022, 04:09:01 PM »

Here it is! A big hand to our colleague the506 on here.

Question, who would win a dedicated Thunder Bay riding?

Quoting you to notify you as promised - excuse the non sequitur.
Thank you very much good Sir!
And much thanks to our posters from the Great White North!
Ontarois
Rookie
« Reply #177 on: March 08, 2022, 05:59:54 PM »

Here it is! A big hand to our colleague the506 on here.

(1)  Thank you for this tool.  I will now how I will be spending hours and hours of unproductive time.

(2)  My first question about the tool.  Once I choose a button to "repaint" a geogrpahic area with a new riding colour, I cannot seem to "turn off" the repaint function.  When I try to ove the map to another area, my cursor repaints any block that I pass over with the last colour that I applied to a new block.

Is there a way to get the cursor to move the underlying map without repainting the "touched" blocks in a different colour?

the506
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #178 on: March 08, 2022, 06:26:13 PM »

Thanks for the shoutouts everyone! Got more goodies coming later this spring.

My first question about the tool.  Once I choose a button to "repaint" a geogrpahic area with a new riding colour, I cannot seem to "turn off" the repaint function.  When I try to ove the map to another area, my cursor repaints any block that I pass over with the last colour that I applied to a new block.

Is there a way to get the cursor to move the underlying map without repainting the "touched" blocks in a different colour?

Double clicking sets that off. Double click again to stop it.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #179 on: March 08, 2022, 07:02:27 PM »

I will post a complete Ontario map soon.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #180 on: March 08, 2022, 09:16:12 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2022, 09:46:02 PM by Southern Delegate Punxsutawney Phil »

This is a modest proposal, my humble submission.
Toronto is a very important city in Canada, I don't think anyone could deny that. All the most recognizable landmarks in Canada are in Toronto, except for Niagara Falls. It is the biggest city in the country, almost 10 percent of the entire national population. Its history dates back to many, many decades before Confederation. Toronto is the center of the universe after all.

So I thought, why not award all but one of Ontario's ridings to Toronto? As an upside, this also guarantees a Liberal majority government. Not sure who wins the rest-of-Ontario riding but the 905 probably helps them win that too. Democracy is when my side wins, and the more times it wins and the more ridings it wins, the more of a democracy it is. This map will ensure Charter rights remain protected for centuries into the future.
Wilfred Laurier would be so proud.

All the peoplekind of Ontario outside Toronto can rest easy knowing they will be in the largest riding in the entire country.

(Btw this is a joke, to be clear)
Ontarois
Rookie
« Reply #181 on: March 08, 2022, 09:33:59 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2022, 09:56:55 PM by Ontarois »

Thanks for the shoutouts everyone! Got more goodies coming later this spring.

(1)  Thank you for this tool.  I will now how I will be spending hours and hours of unproductive time.

(2)  My first question about the tool.  Once I choose a button to "repaint" a geogrpahic area with a new riding colour, I cannot seem to "turn off" the repaint function.  When I try to ove the map to another area, my cursor repaints any block that I pass over with the last colour that I applied to a new block.

Double clicking sets that off. Double click again to stop it.
Thank you for that answer -- it worked well.

But now that I have spent 2 hours working on an alternative for 40% of Ontario, I see no way to save my work.  Can you see a command to do that?

(Ten minutes later ...) I just saw the Save command under the "Block Details" icon.  I answered my own question...

Krago
« Reply #182 on: March 08, 2022, 10:27:58 PM »

Looking at PEI, it's unlikely we will have no change again, as the current map splits the municipality of North Shore between Cardigan and Malpeque. It wasn't a problem before the merger of Grand Tracadie (in Cardigan) and Pleasant Grove (in Malpeque) into North Shore (also in Malpeque).

Thanks for the heads up.  I've made a few edits to PEI and also to New Brunswick (Tracadie has expanded across the old county line).

https://bit.ly/Canada342

I still need someone from the Saint John area to tell me if my three alternative ridings are a good idea.  I'll even settle for someone from Fredericton Smiley
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #183 on: March 09, 2022, 03:02:57 PM »

With the Riding Builder having now been launched, I decided to familiarize myself with it by creating a potential 37 seat map for Alberta. Maps are below with some commentary. I split it into rough regions to try to be able to include more detail where possible in the map screenshots. Riding populations and deviations from the average (which is 115,512 people) are included. I'm still used to drawing U.S. maps on DRA, so I'll admit that I may have stuck a bit closer to the populations quotients than some Canadian commissions may have. That said, where possible, I tried to adjust the deviations so that faster-growing areas had lower populations.

Northern Alberta (and provincewide map)

Fort McMurray--Cold Lake (Population 110,215 (-4.6%))
  • The large green riding in Northeast Alberta
  • Boundaries and population are unchanged from the 2013 representation order

Westlock--Peace River--Mackenzie (Population 113,774 (-1.5%))
  • The large yellow riding in Northern Alberta
  • Successor riding to Peace River--Westlock
  • Barrhead County is removed from the riding
  • Additions to the riding are the portions of the M.D. of Greenview No. 16 and Mackenzie County which were previously in Grande Prairie--Mackenzie, as well as the northwestern portion of Sturgeon County including Legal and Bon Accord

Grande Prairie (Population 108,388 (-6.2%))
  • The large pink riding in Northwest Alberta
  • Successor riding to Grande Prairie--Mackenzie (renamed due to Mackenzie County being removed)
  • Portions of the M.D. of Greenview No. 16 and Mackenzie County that were in the riding are removed and transferred to Westlock--Peace River--Mackenzie

Central Alberta

Lakeland (Population 114,845 (-0.6%))
  • The blue riding northeast of Edmonton
  • Boundaries and population are largely the same as the 2013 representation order, with the exception of the addition of the northeast corner of Sturgeon County, including Redwater

Battle River--Crowfoot (Population 119,951 (+3.8%))
  • The teal/green-ish riding in eastern Alberta
  • The northeast corner of Leduc County is removed from the riding
  • Additions to the riding are the portion of Kneehill County that was previously in Bow River, and a portion of rural southern Strathcona County

Leduc--Wetaskiwin (Population 114,173 (-1.2%))
  • The tan riding south of Edmonton
  • Probably most accurately described as the successor (or perhaps, one of two successors) to Edmonton--Wetaskiwin
  • Comprised of the rural part of the former Edmonton--Wetaskiwin, plus the portions of Leduc County that were formerly in Battle River--Crowfoot and Yellowhead. The four First Nations reserves of the Maskwacis Cree Nations (formerly in Red Deer--Lacombe) are also added to the riding

Yellowhead (Population 110,487 (-4.3%))
  • The purple riding west of Edmonton
  • The western portion of Leduc County and the eastern portion of Clearwater County are removed
  • Gains a small additional portion of Parkland County, the portion of Lac Ste. Anne County that was previously in Sturgeon River--Parkland, and all of Barrhead County

Red Deer (Population 112,850 (-2.3%))
  • The small red riding in central Alberta
  • Comprised of the City of Red Deer, plus a portion of Red Deer County including the hamlet of Springbrook and the Town of Penhold

Ponoka--Lacombe--Red Deer (Population 110,874 (-4.0%))
  • The green riding surrounding Red Deer
  • Largely the successor to the rural portions of Red Deer--Lacombe and Red Deer--Mountain View
  • Compared to the rural portions of the predecessor ridings, it retains all of Lacombe and Ponoka Counties and most of Red Deer County, minus the part comprising the new Red Deer riding. It loses the Maskwacis Cree Nations and most of Mountain View County (excluding the northwest corner), while gaining the eastern portion of Clearwater County

Southern Alberta

Banff--Cochrane--Mountain View (Population 113,032 (-2.1%))
  • The teal riding northwest of Calgary
  • Successor riding to Banff--Airdrie
  • Loses the City of Airdrie and a small rural section of Rocky View County between Airdrie and Calgary
  • Gains most of Mountain View County, except for the northwest corner and the town of Sundre

Foothills (Population 116,874 (+1.2%))
  • The gold/tan riding in southwest Alberta
  • Unchanged from the 2013 representation order, except for a minor boundary adjustment to make all of Improvement District No. 4 be in the riding, and all of Cardston County be outside the riding

Bow River (Population 115,136 (-0.3%))
  • The grey-ish riding in south-central Alberta
  • Boundaries are the same as the 2013 representation order, except for losing the southern half of Kneehill County to Battle River--Crowfoot

Lethbridge (Population 113,461 (-1.8%))
  • The small blue riding in southern Alberta
  • Loses much of Lethbridge County. The new riding is comprised of the City of Lethbridge, the towns of Coaldale and Coalhurst, and rural portions of Lethbridge County connecting the City and Towns

Medicine Hat--Cardston--Warner (Population 120,038 (+3.9%))
  • The small red riding in central Alberta
  • Comprised of the largely-unchanged boundaries from the 2013 representation order (the only change being the minor boundary adjustment with Foothills), plus the part of Lethbridge County no longer contained in the Lethbridge riding

Calgary (and Airdrie)

I'll explain this one a little differently than the rurals because this map is more of a full redraw than the rural regions. For this map, I combined Calgary and Airdrie into one region, which due to population growth resulted in a regional population justifying 12 seats, compared to the 10.5(ish) it has today. I also had two specific geographic goals in mind:

1. Create a Calgary Centre that spans both sides of the Bow River, akin to the boundaries in place before 2000. This has both a functional/demographic and ideological purpose. From a functional/demographic perspective, I've never fully understood why the Bow River has been upheld as a boundary point in central Calgary for so long (at least provincially and federally - the municipal Ward 7 boundary has crossed the river for years). The river is relatively narrow in the central area of the city, and both sides are very well-connected with footbridges, bike paths, the LRT, and so on. It's much less of a natural boundary than the North Saskatchewan River is in central Edmonton, where the river is wider (and in a large valley), and bridges are less numerous. In terms of demographics (particularly age, housing type, and family/household size), the urban communities on both sides of the river (roughly from 16 Avenue North to 17 Avenue South) have more in common with each other than they do with the suburban communities that they get tacked onto and overwhelmed by in the current iterations of Calgary Centre and Calgary Confederation. This flows well into the ideological perspective, where as a relatively progressive Calgarian who likes competitive elections, I've come to favour the idea of a central riding that takes in as many younger, more urban neighbourhoods as possible on both sides of the river. I could see such a riding being competitive on the whole, probably tilting or leaning Liberal in a neutral environment, but with the Conservatives still competitive.

2. Fix Calgary Skyview and use Deerfoot Trail as a hard east-west boundary in northeast Calgary. The current boundaries of Calgary Skyview have always bugged me. First of all, there isn't a lot connecting the residential areas east and west of Deerfoot in the northeast - because of the airport, there's a huge swath of industrial land between the two residential areas. The two sides are also very different demographically, particularly in terms of race (and in terms of voting behaviour). The western part is pretty standard for 1990s-era Calgary suburbs: around 50-60% white with a pretty even split in the visible minority population between Chinese, South Asian, Filipino, and other, and lots of nuclear family households. The eastern part is newer housing stock in general with several actively-developing communities, is only 10-20% white in many census tracts (and 50-60% South Asian in those tracts), and features more multigenerational housing. Because of that, I always through that it would have made more sense for Calgary Skyview to be entirely on the east side of Deerfoot, and expand south if needed into more similar neighbourhoods instead of crossing Deerfoot.

All of that being said, when drawing the Calgary map, I basically drew Calgary Centre, then Calgary Skyview, and then worked clockwise from Calgary Skyview, trying to make the boundaries as sensible as possible based on my knowledge of local geography, transport patterns, etc. Here are the ridings, names, and populations and deviations:

1. Calgary Centre (aqua/turquoise): 118,241 (+2.4%)
2. Calgary Skyview (light green): 112,420 (-2.7%)
3. Calgary Forest Lawn (lighter purple): 115,530 (+0.0%)
4. Calgary Shepard (orange/brown-ish): 115,214 (-0.3%)
5. Calgary Midnapore (darker blue): 104,506 (-9.5%)
6. Calgary Fish Creek (darker green): 118,512 (+2.6%)
7. Calgary Heritage (tan/gold): 117,680 (+1.9%)
8. Calgary Signal Hill (darker purple): 122,582 (+6.1%)
9. Calgary Confederation (teal): 119,159 (+3.2%)
10. Calgary Nose Hill (brown): 119,068 (+3.1%)
11. Calgary Rocky Ridge (grey): 110,672 (-4.2%)
12. Airdrie--Calgary (red-ish): 108,974 (-5.7%)

Edmonton Capital Region

The Edmonton region's map is, in the whole, similar to the map that is currently in place. However, challenges arose from the fact that all of the ridings, except for the three central ones, were overpopulated by between 8,000-17,000 people (not counting Edmonton--Wetaskiwin, which was 94,000 people overpopulated).

Sherwood Park--Fort Saskatchewan and the ridings in south Edmonton were easier to handle. For Sherwood Park--Fort Saskatchewan, I removed a rural portion of Strathcona County holding about 10,000 people and added that to Battle River--Crowfoot, all-but-eliminating the overpopulation. In south Edmonton, a new riding of Edmonton South was formed from the portion of Edmonton--Wetaskiwin within the City of Edmonton. Edmonton Mill Woods retained its current boundaries despite its overpopulation, as it cleanly encompasses the Mill Woods and Meadows areas of the city and there was no logical way to split off part of the riding. Finally, the populations of Edmonton Riverbend and Edmonton Strathcona were largely balanced by shifting a few neighbourhoods south of Whitemud Drive from Riverbend to Strathcona.

On the north side of Edmonton, I shifted some of the overpopulated Edmonton Manning and St. Albert--Edmonton ridings into the underpopulated Edmonton Centre and Edmonton Griesbach, while also admittedly trying to keep Centre and Griesbach as close as possible to their current iterations in terms of friendliness to progressives.

With how the other boundaries ended up, it was infeasible to accommodate the remaining population within Edmonton West at a desirable deviation level. In order to address this, I decided to take the portion of the City of Edmonton on the north/west side of the North Saskatchewan River, south of 62 Avenue and outside of Anthony Henday Drive, and add it to Sturgeon River--Parkland. While not the most ideal, I believe that this solution would be workable, as the housing mix and population characteristics in these suburban Edmonton communities are relatively similar to those in Spruce Grove and the surrounding Parkland County, and those communities in Edmonton are also some of the most disconnected from the rest of the city in terms of public transportation and road links. This addition also caused Sturgeon River--Parkland to need to shed some of its more rural land and transfer it to Yellowhead, Westlock--Peace River--Mackenzie, and Lakeland, allowing the now-renamed Sturgeon River--Parkland--Edmonton to more tightly encircle the city and broadly make it one representing exurban Edmonton bedroom communities in Parkland and Sturgeon Counties.

Here are the ridings, names, and populations and deviations for the Edmonton Capital Region:

1. Sherwood Park--Fort Saskatchewan (green): 116,574 (+0.9%)
2. Edmonton South (magenta?): 108,743 (-5.9%)
3. Edmonton Mill Woods (aqua/turquoise): 125,987 (+9.1%)
4. Edmonton Riverbend (dull yellow): 114,510 (-0.9%)
5. Edmonton Strathcona (bright pink/purple): 111,837 (-3.2%)
6. Edmonton Centre (brighter yellow): 117,480 (+1.7%)
7. Edmonton Griesbach (orange): 119,827 (+3.7%)
8. Edmonton Manning (grey): 123,461 (+6.9%)
9. St. Albert--Edmonton (salmon-ish): 120,230 (+4.1%)
10. Edmonton West (blue): 117,016 (+1.3%)
11. Sturgeon River--Parkland--Edmonton (reddish): 121,627 (+5.3%)
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.47

« Reply #184 on: March 09, 2022, 03:55:05 PM »

There's a really annoying bug that sometimes when you click it just adds the entire population of the level 1 block to the riding without actually adding the level 2 blocks, rending it impossible to remove that population from the riding, meaning the deviations are completely ruined, and you have completely blank ridings with like 80-90k people in them at times.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #185 on: March 09, 2022, 05:48:16 PM »

I would look into tweaking it was so that filling by cursor is triggered by clicking three times instead of two.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #186 on: March 09, 2022, 08:06:08 PM »

There's a really annoying bug that sometimes when you click it just adds the entire population of the level 1 block to the riding without actually adding the level 2 blocks, rending it impossible to remove that population from the riding, meaning the deviations are completely ruined, and you have completely blank ridings with like 80-90k people in them at times.

Yeah, I noticed that while working on my map. If you're paying attention right when it happens, it's possible to un-add the erroneous area by toggling to "unassigned" instead of the riding you're working on and then clicking on the same space. I also found that if you save your map, reload the builder and then upload the spreadsheet where you saved your map, sometimes that can take care of the error too.

Still, hopefully that can be addressed in an update soon.
the506
Canada

« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2022, 09:42:56 PM »

That hasn't happened to me at all, and I can't find in the code where that could happen. I wonder if it's an error in the shapefiles - do any of you remember which province you're working on?
the506
Canada

« Reply #188 on: March 09, 2022, 09:45:25 PM »

I still need someone from the Saint John area to tell me if my three alternative ridings are a good idea.  I'll even settle for someone from Fredericton Smiley

Both proposals for the SJ area look fine to me...the big qualm I have is with Moncton. I'd lop off (mostly Francophone) Dieppe and give it to Beausejour, and keep Riverview with Moncton.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.47

« Reply #189 on: March 09, 2022, 11:14:50 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2022, 11:21:55 PM by Lach »

It happens on all maps, I think it might happen when you accidentally click on an area where the shapes don't overlap correctly

I also somehow managed to get -75k population in a riding as well, probably the same issues just with unassigned.

Yeah, I noticed that while working on my map. If you're paying attention right when it happens, it's possible to un-add the erroneous area by toggling to "unassigned" instead of the riding you're working on and then clicking on the same space. I also found that if you save your map, reload the builder and then upload the spreadsheet where you saved your map, sometimes that can take care of the error too.

Still, hopefully that can be addressed in an update soon.
Yeah, that works as a workaround for now.
the506
Canada

« Reply #190 on: March 09, 2022, 11:49:35 PM »

OK, I just re-simplified the Ontario shapefiles in a way that there shouldn't be any (or at least fewer) overlaps and gaps. I'll do the other provinces tomorrow.

Hopefully this should fix it.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #191 on: March 11, 2022, 06:24:51 AM »

This is a (likely atrocious) effort at purely-one-man-one-vote ridings would look like in Northern Ontario.
Some of these are quite large in land area, to say the least.  Surprisingly, Sudbury riding ends up being slightly smaller than the Thunder Bay one.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #192 on: March 11, 2022, 09:09:59 AM »
« Edited: March 11, 2022, 09:14:20 AM by Hatman 🍁 »

Timmy, your district names need to be improved:

2: Kenora-Rainy River-Superior North
3: Timiskaming-Timmins-James Bay (this one is tough)
4: Algoma or Sault Ste. Marie-Elliot Lake
6: Nickel Belt-Manitoulin-Parry Sound
7: Nipissing-Petawawa or Nipissing-Algonquin
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #193 on: March 11, 2022, 10:34:42 AM »

Both proposals for the SJ area look fine to me...the big qualm I have is with Moncton. I'd lop off (mostly Francophone) Dieppe and give it to Beausejour, and keep Riverview with Moncton.

Which is likely, like last time when it was proposed to raise the extremely vocal ire of Francophone organisations saying that Francophones are being packed in Beauséjour and that is an attempt to transform the bilingual riding of Moncton into an Anglophone one.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #194 on: March 11, 2022, 02:15:05 PM »

Are the boundaries themselves fine, though?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #195 on: March 11, 2022, 02:38:13 PM »

Are the boundaries themselves fine, though?

Not too bad, though I think splitting Thunder Bay is preferable than having a giant rural riding in the NW.

I'd probably also move northern Algoma District into the Soo based riding, and transfer the northern bits of Sudbury and Nipissing Districts into the Timmins based riding, and then move the Espanola area into the Georgian Bay based riding.
Krago
« Reply #196 on: March 11, 2022, 04:59:55 PM »

Which is likely, like last time when it was proposed to raise the extremely vocal ire of Francophone organisations saying that Francophones are being packed in Beauséjour and that is an attempt to transform the bilingual riding of Moncton into an Anglophone one.

Here are the Mother Tongue figures (2016 Census, single responses) for the ten existing New Brunswick ridings and my proposed ridings.

Current FED
English%
French%
Other%
Acadie--Bathurst
16%
83%
1%
Beauséjour
34%
64%
2%
Fredericton
85%
8%
7%
Fundy Royal
94%
4%
2%
Madawaska--Restigouche
17%
82%
1%
Miramichi--Grand Lake
72%
24%
4%
Moncton--Riverview--Dieppe
62%
33%
5%
New Brunswick Southwest
94%
4%
2%
Saint John--Rothesay
91%
4%
5%
Tobique--Mactaquac
81%
16%
3%
New Brunswick
65%
32%
3%

Proposed FED
English%
French%
Other%
Acadie--Bathurst
14%
85%
1%
Beauséjour
36%
62%
2%
Carleton--Charlotte
94%
3%
3%
Fredericton
84%
8%
8%
Fundy Royal
87%
10%
3%
Gagetown-Kennebecasis
94%
4%
1%
Madawaska--Grand Falls--Restigouche
20%
79%
1%
Miramichi--Grand Lake
79%
18%
4%
Moncton--Dieppe
49%
47%
4%
Saint John--Rothesay
91%
4%
5%
New Brunswick
65%
32%
3%

By moving Riverview to Fundy--Royal and uniting Dieppe within Moncton--Dieppe, the net effect is to turn Moncton from a 2-1 anglophone seat to a 50-50 bilingual riding.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #197 on: March 11, 2022, 05:22:57 PM »

Another relevant point for New Brunswick is the current municipal reform, which will cut the number of local governments from 328 to 77 through massive mergers (elections in November with new borders being legal from January 1st 2023).
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2022, 05:33:02 PM »

Another relevant point for New Brunswick is the current municipal reform, which will cut the number of local governments from 328 to 77 through massive mergers (elections in November with new borders being legal from January 1st 2023).
Hadn't heard of them, but this came up high in the Google results
can we plan for these yet, i.e. make maps for New Brunswick knowing we won't be making something littered with municipal mergers?
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #199 on: March 11, 2022, 05:34:00 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2022, 06:09:52 PM by laddicus finch »

Never done this before, but what the heck, decided to try my hand at it. Started with Alberta, not suuuper familiar with the province so I'd love some feedback:

Calgary:

Calgary Centre: 114,741,  -0.7%, the yellow riding in the middle of Calgary.

Bit of a weird shape, it maintains the downtown core and the industrial areas to the east, loses some of the affluent parts to the south close to the reservoir, gains the Wildwood area to the west.

Calgary Confederation: 111,936, -3.1%, pink riding north of Calgary Centre.

No big changes here, loses a bit of land in the northern part of the riding.

Calgary Glenmore: 115,888, +0.3%, orange riding south of Centre.

This is one of two new Calgary ridings, it has no obvious predecessor, as it's carved out of Heritage, Centre, Signal Hill, and a bit of Midnapore. Centred around its namesake reservoir with a slight panhandle to include Signal Hill.

Calgary Nose Hill: 114,677, -0.7%, pink riding north of Confederation.

Just a re-worked version of the existing riding of the same name.

Calgary North--Airdrie: 111,582, -3.4%, light green riding that extends out of Calgary proper (obviously)

This is a new riding. Airdrie, some of the rural areas to its east, a small northern portion of Nose Hill, and the parts of Skyview west of Deerfoot Trail.

Calgary Queensland: 119,911, +3.8%, tan riding straddling the Bow River.

This is Midnapore shifted northeast and crosses the river at some portions, taking from Shepard.

Calgary Rocky Ridge: 117,687, +1.9%, blue riding in the northwest.

Currently overpopulated, so I trimmed away some of its southern portions.

Calgary Shepard: 122,868, +6.4% orange riding in the southeast.

I must admit, not very proud of this one. Currently overpopulated so I took away some of its western portions by the Bow River, but had to adjust northwards and include Forest Lawn. But now there's a huge industrial portion separating the older working-class suburbs and more affluent areas to the south.

Calgary Skyview: 112,420, -2.7%, brown riding in the northeast.

Pretty much bounded by Deerfoot Trail and McKnight Blvd, a trimmed down version of the current riding that focuses more on the Saddle Ridge area. Probably the only seat in the city that would lean Liberal.

Calgary Somerset: 116,794, +1.1%, blue riding in the southwest.

This takes the southern parts of Heritage and Midnapore.

Calgary Sunridge: 111,432, -3.5%, light blue in the east of the city.

Mostly carved out of Calgary Forest Lawn but shifted a bit north, picking up Temple and Whitehorn while losing much of Forest Lawn.

Calgary West: 113,554, -1,7%, purple riding on the western edge of the city.

Carved out of Rocky Ridge and some of Signal Hill.

What do y'all think?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies