Canada Federal Representation 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:12:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada Federal Representation 2024
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 35
Author Topic: Canada Federal Representation 2024  (Read 50197 times)
Krago
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2022, 08:28:53 AM »
« edited: February 25, 2022, 12:19:59 PM by Krago »

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I've create another site where I've posted some alternative federal riding options.

https://bit.ly/AltFEDs

Occasionally, I will 'promote' some of these alternatives to my main site.

https://bit.ly/Canada342
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2022, 08:36:34 AM »

Any sign of Riding  Builder being available for public use anytime soon?
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2022, 08:52:43 AM »

It's in the pipeline and should be available within the next month, from what I know.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2022, 09:05:09 AM »

It's in the pipeline and should be available within the next month, from what I know.
That's great to hear! I hope they get it done!
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2022, 10:59:22 AM »

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I've create another site where I've posted some alternative federal riding options.

I'd suggest changing the Hamilton boundaries. Hamilton East Mountain-Fruitland in particular is a really weird one, as it tries to connect two very distinct suburban areas with a huge chunk of Greenbelt in the middle.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2022, 12:26:18 PM »

I mentioned this in my email to you Krago, but drop "Ottawa" from all ridings that don't contain parts of the former city of Ottawa. This is a huge no-no in these parts.

Speaking of Ottawa, I hate the shape of your Ottawa-Rideau riding.

Is it possible to:
Remove Stittsville, and add the southern part of Barrhaven (below the Jock River)
Return the riding of Kanata-Carleton to its former borders
Move the Barrhaven riding's northern borders up, and give OWN Bells Corners and Crystal Bay back. Rename Ottawa-Barrhaven back to Nepean.

What's left of Lanark-Carleton (with Stittsville) is probably too big, but it would be nice to move its eastern border to the 416, rather than the old North Gower township border.
Philly D.
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2022, 05:44:36 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2022, 05:49:32 PM by Philly D. »

- Gaspesie-Iles-de-la-Madeleine should be constituted exclusively by the region of the same name. Territorial divisions are important in Quebec.

I have family in Matane, don't tell them they are not living in Gaspésie.

It's true that the blue "Bonjour!" sign for tourist regions appears just after Rimouski... but in any case the MRC of Avignon is a better fit in the easternmost riding as also being part of the provincial Bonaventure riding.

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I've create another site where I've posted some alternative federal riding options.

I really like what you did with the Saguenay, Parkdale and Beaches ridings (which I did not think of.)

Capitale-Nationale region does not merit any representation increase as it is already numerically overrepresented. Once the Charlevoix and Portneuf MRCs are removed we are basically at six ridings -- the present Charlesbourg and Louis-Hebert, your Beauport and Limoilou ridings (with slight modifications). Louis-Saint-Laurent was historically (and should be) your Vanier riding with modifications, with the balance forming Valcartier. Putting Saint-Augustin with a riding dominated by Quebec City is a no-no; in fact it doesn't even want to be in the agglomeration and would much rather be in Jacques-Cartier MRC in real life.

In the case of Toronto-Danforth, the proposed modification didn't add as many people as I hoped. Perhaps it should take some more of the harbour front?

The addition to Davenport was not what I had in mind. The idea was to use Oakwood rather than Winona as the St. Paul's-Davenport boundary (so that St. Paul's goes into Don Valley West.) More generally, there would still be six ridings with the Scarborough name. Scarborough-Rouge would reunite Morningside Heights (although it would still have to go further West, and Scarborough North even more so.) All six Scarborough ridings are undersized, so I'd look at increasing the sizes of all of them.

Adding Kanasaskis Village moved very little people, which is a shame as the two Red Deer ridings are seriously underpopulated.

As for Ottawa, I wonder if Ottawa-Vanier west of the Rideau River could not be in Ottawa Centre. The area south of the Experimental Farm and east of Fisher is a relic of old municipal boundaries and Ottawa Centre including Mooney's Bay in the 1980's and is much more similar to Ottawa West-Nepean. And Ottawa-Kanata is much too small.
Krago
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2022, 10:16:24 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2022, 10:37:03 PM by Krago »

I've incorporated a few minor changes around Kananaskis, Sudbury (French River) and Kanata (March Twp).  I've also changed a few riding names in Ontario and Quebec, though Hatman will still complain.  Ayn Rand fans will like the new name for Cambridge--Brant.

If you combine Nepean--Barrhaven and Rideau--Stittsville, and then split the combined area along Fallowfield and Strandherd (then north along the river), the populations are relatively even.  Would that be an improvement?

A Lanark--Stittsville seat could be possible if you want to connect the two areas with a narrow strip along Highway 7.  In the States, nobody would bat an eye.

All proposed Alberta ridings are within 10% of the provincial average (115,206).
  • 11 Edmonton-area seats (118,959 avg)
  • 12 Calgary-area seats (115,703 avg)
  • 14 seats in the rest of the province (111,832 avg)

toaster
Canada

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2022, 11:02:02 PM »

Also curious Krago why you propose moving the border between Etobicoke-Lakeshore and Etobicoke-Centre down to Bloor from Dundas in the eastern part of Etobicoke. It makes Etobicoke-Centre the most populated riding in the City of Toronto, and puts it 13k over Etobicoke-Lakeshore's #s. Keeping it the way it is would keep the 2 ridings (all 3 Etobicoke ridings) at about 120k wouldn't it? Also, Mabelle Avenue doesn't fit so well into Etobicoke-Centre (although the Kingway does).
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2022, 09:31:38 AM »

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I've create another site where I've posted some alternative federal riding options.

I do like the DT TO edits that you made; for Toronto-Danforth, the addition of Corktown/Distillery makes more sense then Cabbagetown. But we have to remember that next redistribution (likely) we should have the huge Portlands and East Harbour developments in place (I think?) which should add thousands to this seat. But that's a then problem.

I still REALLY dislike Rosedale as part of University-Rosedale. I wonder if we could work that out? Cut University Rosedale along Yonge street. Both Would need to shift North; If the University portion shifted to St. Clair, would that be enough quote? in 2008 they used Eglinton in the north but that's when Bloor was the southern boundary and not Dundas. Potential names like Annex-Kensington maybe? The rest of Toronto-St,Pauls could be merged with Rosedale and shift west to take areas away from Don Valley West which is 125K and could sacrifice some. Rosedale-Forrest Hill could be the name. Davenport could also shift east to Oakwood from Rogers?   

I'd also do some renaming:
Toronto Centre; to something like Cabbagetown-Old York or Cabbagetown-St.Lawrence
Toronto-Danforth; to Riverdale-Danforth
I'm not a fan of how Toronto mixes some ridings with "Toronto-..." and others with just neighbourhood names, while Etobicoke and Scarborough use the standard City-Area naming
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2022, 01:15:04 PM »

All done.

Here is my new electoral map for Canada from coast to coast to coast.

Please send me any errors, improvements or complaints.  Or even the occasional compliment.

Re: Nova Scotia

Cape Breton-Antigonish is under the 10% range by about 5k.
Halifax, Halifax West, and Dartmouth-Cole Harbour are all over the 10% range, by about 15k altogether and Sackville riding only has room for another 5k or so.

I would do something like:
Move 10k from Central Nova to Cape-Breton-Antigonish
Move 10k from Sackville... to Central Nova
Shuffle around the urban Halifax ridings such that Sackville picks up 15k and the other urban ridings are within the 10% threshold.

Otherwise it looks good. Communities of interest are kept intact more or less. You did better than our last commission did on that front haha
adma
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2022, 06:31:43 PM »

I'd also do some renaming:
Toronto Centre; to something like Cabbagetown-Old York or Cabbagetown-St.Lawrence
Toronto-Danforth; to Riverdale-Danforth
I'm not a fan of how Toronto mixes some ridings with "Toronto-..." and others with just neighbourhood names, while Etobicoke and Scarborough use the standard City-Area naming

Remember that Toronto-Danforth was originally named Broadview-Greenwood until then-MP Dennis Mills petitioned for its corny renaming circa Y2K.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2022, 06:50:35 PM »

- Gaspesie-Iles-de-la-Madeleine should be constituted exclusively by the region of the same name. Territorial divisions are important in Quebec.

I have family in Matane, don't tell them they are not living in Gaspésie.

Territorial subdivisions like MRC and borough limits, or administrative region are often a reason given to change a proposed map. The map looks good on making population more equal but I don't know if in changing limits it will make some MRC unhappy. Not sure the Gaspésie riding doesn't cover too much territory; the MP must be in Matane, in Gaspé and go to Iles-de-la-Madeleine.

South of Montreal many ridings are very equal. They are all in in 114,000 of population: Châteauguay, La Prairie, Saint-Jean, Brossard, Beloeil.

Is it final that Quebec has 77 ridings or is it still possible it will be 78?
And what happens with Native Reserves that don't have a population count. There are some notes in the list of population by ridings. I guess they don't take part in census. When you make a map we have to pretend they won't take part in elections anyway? Like Kahnawake could have 10,000 people but count for zero in a riding.  
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2022, 07:00:20 PM »

Remember that Toronto-Danforth was originally named Broadview-Greenwood until then-MP Dennis Mills petitioned for its corny renaming circa Y2K.

Yes, it set a terrible precedent. 
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2022, 07:18:21 PM »

There are no "Montreal" ridings - not even a "Montreal Centre."  Maybe the adding of Toronto Centre to Rosedale riding name in the 1990s set the precedent, but that was much more "defensible" IMO.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2022, 07:21:17 PM »

There are no "Montreal" ridings - not even a "Montreal Centre."  Maybe the adding of Toronto Centre to Rosedale in the 1990s set the precedent, but that was much more "defensible" IMO.

Well, Montreal-Centre would be a wierd misnomer, as nothing really fits the bill (and you don't want all of downtown in the same riding anyways, the McGill ghetto and the Quartier Gai don't really belong together and don't speak the same language anyways).
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2022, 07:44:48 PM »

Toronto's downtown is split between Spadina-Fort York, Toronto Centre and to a lesser extent University-Rosedale.  So one riding keeps the moniker (even though City Hall is in Spadina-Fort York).
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2022, 09:16:46 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2022, 09:20:11 PM by Storr »

How likely do you folks feel it is that Quebec will be allowed to keep the same number of seats it currently has? I’d prefer that outcome because the HoC already has more unequal appointment (Maritimes) than if Quebec stayed at 78.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2022, 08:26:17 AM »

There are no "Montreal" ridings - not even a "Montreal Centre."  Maybe the adding of Toronto Centre to Rosedale riding name in the 1990s set the precedent, but that was much more "defensible" IMO.

Even when one might make sense! We have a community/borough named Montreal-Nord, but the federal riding is mostly Bourassa and I think Honore-Mercier (Quebec's unique approach to name ridings after people)
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2022, 08:27:45 AM »

Yes, it set a terrible precedent. 

Hopefully during the consultation process, after the proposals are put forward, new names for these Toronto ridings can be proposed.
Krago
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2022, 12:41:44 PM »

How likely do you folks feel it is that Quebec will be allowed to keep the same number of seats it currently has? I’d prefer that outcome because the HoC already has more unequal appointment (Maritimes) than if Quebec stayed at 78.

A BQ member introduced a private members' bill (Bill C-246) on Feb. 8 that would guarantee Quebec no less than 25% of the total seats in the House of Commons.  If the bill passes, not only would Quebec retain its 78th seat, it would gain 11 additional seats (89).

https://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/44-1/bill/C-246/first-reading

There is currently no bill before Parliament that would prevent Quebec or any province from losing seats at a redistribution.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2022, 05:06:16 PM »

I've incorporated a few minor changes around Kananaskis, Sudbury (French River) and Kanata (March Twp).  I've also changed a few riding names in Ontario and Quebec, though Hatman will still complain.  Ayn Rand fans will like the new name for Cambridge--Brant.

If you combine Nepean--Barrhaven and Rideau--Stittsville, and then split the combined area along Fallowfield and Strandherd (then north along the river), the populations are relatively even.  Would that be an improvement?

A Lanark--Stittsville seat could be possible if you want to connect the two areas with a narrow strip along Highway 7.  In the States, nobody would bat an eye.

What if you put Smiths Falls into Leeds-Grenville? 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2022, 05:12:47 PM »

As for Ottawa, I wonder if Ottawa-Vanier west of the Rideau River could not be in Ottawa Centre. The area south of the Experimental Farm and east of Fisher is a relic of old municipal boundaries and Ottawa Centre including Mooney's Bay in the 1980's and is much more similar to Ottawa West-Nepean. And Ottawa-Kanata is much too small.

The Canal has always been the border between the wealthy Anglo-Protestant Downtown and the working class Catholic French/Irish Lower Town. Ottawa-Vanier is a Francophone opportunity riding, and hiving off Lower Town and Sandy Hill which have sizable French populations won't play very well. Yes, they are progressive neighbourhoods which are better ideological matches for Ottawa Centre, but not not necessarily linguistically.

I do agree the Carleton Heights area which you've described is a weird add-on to Ottawa Centre, and should probably go to Ottawa West-Nepean. But, Krago's plan to unite Carlington which is currently divided between 2 ridings isn't the worst option either. Ideally neither area would be in Ottawa Centre.
Krago
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2022, 12:20:57 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2022, 12:53:54 AM by Krago »

I just posted the Hatman Special on my alternative federal ridings site.

https://bit.ly/AltFEDs  (see Eastern Ontario Alternative)

It looks pretty good.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2022, 11:59:38 AM »

I just posted the Hatman Special on my alternative federal ridings site.

https://bit.ly/AltFEDs  (see Eastern Ontario Alternative)

It looks pretty good.

It's honestly not that bad! Now add the rest of Goulbourn and Marlborough Twps to Lanark so it doesn't look as awkward, and you have a pretty good map. I'd also add Blackburn Hamlet back to Orleans, and maybe add Blossom Park to Carleton in exchange for it losing Goulbourn and Marlborough.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies