Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 09:10:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 248127 times)
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3000 on: October 28, 2021, 01:15:56 PM »

Does it mean Warren also a NO?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3001 on: October 28, 2021, 01:19:27 PM »

I still think what is best for the GOP is for a bunch of House GOP members to approach Pelosi to say that they will make up the vote Progressive vote she will lose on BIF. 

I really wouldn't rely on them. Sure, this bill should actually pass with a large majority. I just don't think it will get more than 230 votes in the end.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3002 on: October 28, 2021, 01:20:27 PM »

I still think what is best for the GOP is for a bunch of House GOP members to approach Pelosi to say that they will make up the vote Progressive vote she will lose on BIF. 

Apparently McCarthy is actively whipping against it, unfortunately
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3003 on: October 28, 2021, 01:30:28 PM »

The CPC would see this a total betrayal and probably want to blow the whole caucus up if Pelosi agreed to pass BIF with GOP support while reconciliation is still up in the air
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3004 on: October 28, 2021, 01:31:33 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3005 on: October 28, 2021, 01:37:11 PM »

Good for her.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #3006 on: October 28, 2021, 01:37:50 PM »

Only 9? Not good
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3007 on: October 28, 2021, 01:40:01 PM »

I'd have to hope those numbers will grow once it becomes clear than Manchin and Sinema are trying to swindle us again.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #3008 on: October 28, 2021, 01:42:07 PM »

Emergency rules committee meeting on build back better in about 20 minutes

The house remains in recess subject to the call of the chair
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3009 on: October 28, 2021, 01:44:02 PM »

I'd have to hope those numbers will grow once it becomes clear than Manchin and Sinema are trying to swindle us again.
I think this is old news, they were saying in Politico there were 9 ‘hard; noes a few days ago. There are clearly more.

Though, FWIW, 9 is the exact number of the traitors who tried to force a vote earlier this month. Apparently 9 congressmen from the right can drive the caucus and 9 congressmen from the left are a problem to be squashed.

I’ve usually been rather supportive of Pelosi, but I have no idea wtf she thinks she’s doing.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3010 on: October 28, 2021, 01:45:46 PM »

For anyone who thinks the rec bill isn't a big deal to normal, everyday people-

jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3011 on: October 28, 2021, 01:46:34 PM »

It IS a big deal. It's just frustrating that Manchin and Sinema are being a holes.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3012 on: October 28, 2021, 01:52:55 PM »

Do you really think that’s going to last after Manchin gets what he wants today?
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #3013 on: October 28, 2021, 02:05:34 PM »

Punchbowl News Midday:

Speaker Nancy Pelosi met Tuesday with a group of Democratic lawmakers from Virginia and New Jersey. The two states have gubernatorial elections next week, and they requested a meeting with Pelosi. Their delegations are eager to pass the bipartisan infrastructure bill.

Pelosi tried to quell their concerns by saying that she was going to try to pass the bill Thursday.

Why are we telling you this? It indicate that Pelosi is sensitive to the political concerns in New Jersey and Virginia. And that she was planning this strategy all week.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #3014 on: October 28, 2021, 02:18:39 PM »

I haven't spoken much on this topic. Obviously this is not as great a bill, but it is a good bill that should be passed, and what didn't make it fought for with great fervour.
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #3015 on: October 28, 2021, 02:19:05 PM »

Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3016 on: October 28, 2021, 02:23:26 PM »

Cucks. This is why the corporate Democrats run circles around us.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3017 on: October 28, 2021, 02:31:14 PM »

Senator Warnock for the people.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3018 on: October 28, 2021, 02:32:02 PM »

I'm proud of President Biden for taking major action on climate change and prioritising it. Every Democrat has a responsibility to get in line and vote for this, and everyone who votes against it will go down in history as planet-burning arsonists because of their own stupidity or desire for selfish political gain.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3019 on: October 28, 2021, 02:40:40 PM »

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3020 on: October 28, 2021, 02:46:09 PM »

If Justice Dem self-promoters want to vote against what will undoubtedly be an incredibly popular and influential bill, I say go for it.  Voting NO on the main thing Dems are gonna run on in the 2022 midterms doesn't seem like an ace political move to me, but what do I know, my tweets don't get 168K likes.

I seem to recall throughout 2015-2020 "progressives" justifying their outlandish, unworkable, fantasy-land demands by saying "you have to demand more than you want so you meet in the middle to get what you actually want."  Or some variant of that thinking.  So in this negotiation, Biden started by demanding the most progressive spending plan imaginable, and then the furthest-right members of the caucus pared it down to something that's still pretty good.  But now apparently that "meet in the middle" strategy goes out the window, and if you don't agree to the original demand, we're not going to vote for it.  OK, so the entire thing was in bad faith?  Like these people are just children.  Folks, please stop electing idiot children to Congress -- they don't know how to govern, they don't know how to legislate, they don't know how to negotiate, and all they do is humiliate the party day after day after day.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3021 on: October 28, 2021, 02:49:13 PM »

I'm glad Biden started with something huge. Obama started with something reasonable on healthcare and had to compromise down from there.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3022 on: October 28, 2021, 02:50:45 PM »

Senator Coons says that Manchin and Sinema support the bill.

https://politicalwire.com/2021/10/28/coons-says-manchin-and-sinema-back-bidens-plan/
roxas11
United States

« Reply #3023 on: October 28, 2021, 02:54:18 PM »

I got to admit that it is a kind of wild to see Joe Manchin these days being portrayed as this villain who is looking to backstab a democrat president the first chance he gets

I remember when Joe Manchin stuck his neck out for Obama and put his political career on the line when he tried to help him pass a universal background check bill after sandy hook. This was a red state Dem who in the past had even been supported by the NRA yet there he was going on tv not only to defend Obama but he also tried to help to him pass his background check bill

In the end it was not Joe Manchin, who ended up backstabbing Obama, it was Heidi Heitkamp and 3 other Dems....

Say what will about the Joe Manchin, but he will always have my respect for at least trying to do the right thing after sandy hook at a time when it did not politically benefit him at all to do so

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3024 on: October 28, 2021, 02:55:13 PM »

If Justice Dem self-promoters want to vote against what will undoubtedly be an incredibly popular and influential bill, I say go for it.  Voting NO on the main thing Dems are gonna run on in the 2022 midterms doesn't seem like an ace political move to me, but what do I know, my tweets don't get 168K likes.

I seem to recall throughout 2015-2020 "progressives" justifying their outlandish, unworkable, fantasy-land demands by saying "you have to demand more than you want so you meet in the middle to get what you actually want."  Or some variant of that thinking.  So in this negotiation, Biden started by demanding the most progressive spending plan imaginable, and then the furthest-right members of the caucus pared it down to something that's still pretty good.  But now apparently that "meet in the middle" strategy goes out the window, and if you don't agree to the original demand, we're not going to vote for it.  OK, so the entire thing was in bad faith?  Like these people are just children.  Folks, please stop electing idiot children to Congress -- they don't know how to govern, they don't know how to legislate, they don't know how to negotiate, and all they do is humiliate the party day after day after day.

The "Squad" might not be the most serious people in politics but at least they have beliefs, unlike the nihilistic quirky wino. (I'm not sure one way or the other about the coal and EpiPen baron.)
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies