Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 03:49:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 214 215 216 [217] 218 219 220 221 222 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 247691 times)
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5400 on: July 27, 2022, 05:04:06 PM »

They're not going to vote for it. This is what keeps happening. The only solution is to elect more Democrats.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #5401 on: July 27, 2022, 05:06:22 PM »

They're not going to vote for it. This is what keeps happening. The only solution is to elect more Democrats.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: seek professional help.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #5402 on: July 27, 2022, 05:06:55 PM »

This news makes me wonder if Joe Manchin was simply playing Mitch McConnell this entire time

Because on July 15 Manchin just suddenly decided to announce that he would not support the deal that he had been negotiating with Schumer over his concerns over inflations but as soon as the chips bill is passed he quickly comes out to announce a deal with Schumer on taxes and climate lol

Hate to say it, but looks like Joe Manchin cleverly manipulated Mitch McConnell and once he got we he needed out him he threw him under the bus...

Now Manchin is going to end  up getting both The Chips bill and The Reconciliation bill passed

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5403 on: July 27, 2022, 05:07:40 PM »

This news makes me wonder if Joe Manchin was simply playing Mitch McConnell this entire time

Because on July 15 Manchin just suddenly decided to announce that he would not support the deal that he had been negotiating with Schumer over his concerns over inflations but as soon as the chips bill is passed he quickly comes out to announce a deal with Schumer on taxes and climate lol

Hate to say it, but looks like Joe Manchin cleverly manipulated Mitch McConnell and once he got we he needed out him he threw him under the bus...

Now Manchin is going to end getting both The Chips bill and The Reconciliation bill passed

Manchin managing to own both the libs and the cons in one fell swoop.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5404 on: July 27, 2022, 05:08:57 PM »

Scalding take: Because he represents such a Republican state, Manchin is actually awesome and has the highest "value over replacement" of any Senator this century.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5405 on: July 27, 2022, 05:10:15 PM »

Scalding take: Because he represents such a Republican state, Manchin is actually awesome and has the highest "value over replacement" of any Senator this century.

Thanks Manchin I guess ?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5406 on: July 27, 2022, 05:11:49 PM »

To be fair, McConnell didn’t actually want to kill the CHIPS bill either.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5407 on: July 27, 2022, 05:17:58 PM »

The tax stuff is pretty unambiguously good, but some of this is still really vague and hard to quantify.

"The bill will also finally allow Medicare to negotiate for prescription drug prices" what does that mean, exactly? Are we getting a sweeping permission to negotiate down all prices? Because that would rule. But if it's like that sh-t stand alone bill that was previously discussed, that only allowed 10 drugs to be negotiated from 2025 and another 10 from 2029, then that's kind of pathetic.

"Reduces carbon emissions by roughly 40 percent by 2030" is also extremely vague, because 40% compared to when? If 2022, then that's awesome. If 2005, then that's kind of meh

Generic drug prices are already low regardless of Medicare. And Most seniors take generic drugs.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5408 on: July 27, 2022, 05:25:33 PM »

In a major boost to Democrats, Manchin and Schumer announce deal for energy and health care bill

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Sen. Joe Manchin on Wednesday announced a deal on an energy and health care bill, representing a breakthrough after more than a year of negotiations that have collapsed time and again.

But it will face furious GOP opposition.

With a deal in hand, the health and climate bill stands a serious chance of becoming law as soon as August -- assuming Democrats can pass the bill in the House and that it passes muster with the Senate parliamentarian to allow it to be approved along straight party lines in the budget process.

And while Manchin, a moderate from Democrat from West Virginia, scuttled Biden's Build Back Better bill, the final deal includes a number of provisions Manchin had privately scoffed at -- including on climate change.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/27/politics/schumer-manchin-deal-build-back-better/index.html
roxas11
United States

« Reply #5409 on: July 27, 2022, 05:26:33 PM »

To be fair, McConnell didn’t actually want to kill the CHIPS bill either.

In his own words

He was basically using the chips bill as a way to stop Dems from passing any reconciliation bill and I now suspect that this is a big reason why Manchin kept insisting that the reconciliation bill was dead

unfortunately for McConnell now the chips bill is passed Manchin no longer has to keep up the act and now he is going to pass the reconciliation bill lol
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5410 on: July 27, 2022, 05:30:40 PM »

Lmao at Manchin killing reconciliation so the GOP would pass CHIPS, then reviving reconciliation as soon as the GOP passed CHIPS.

Everyone talking about how Manchin should just join the Republicans forgets that he hates McConnell more than anyone else in the Senate.
Why does he hate him?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5411 on: July 27, 2022, 05:31:36 PM »

I guess it was key that everyone believed Manchin that there would be no deal lol
WV222
masterofawesome

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #5412 on: July 27, 2022, 05:36:45 PM »

With these tax changes and I think increase for some corporations with the minimum tax, I am still watching Sinema and House moderates before I 100% see this going through.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #5413 on: July 27, 2022, 05:43:27 PM »

I think Manchin got possessed by Byrd's ghost or something. Tremendous W either way. I am more than a little worried about Gottheimer but I have faith in Pelosi.
WV222
masterofawesome

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #5414 on: July 27, 2022, 05:48:28 PM »

I think Manchin got possessed by Byrd's ghost or something. Tremendous W either way. I am more than a little worried about Gottheimer but I have faith in Pelosi.

I would worry about Sinema and the Senate parliamentarian on provisions before getting to Gottenheimer and the other SALT repeal House Dems
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5415 on: July 27, 2022, 06:07:39 PM »

This is still a pretty weaksauce bill (and even that’s being extremely generous) and it’s kinda pathetic to see red avatars fawning over it, but I guess that’s what learned helplessness will do to you.  It’s better than nothing, I suppose, but that’s about the nicest thing that can be said about this basic, bare-bones bill.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5416 on: July 27, 2022, 06:21:55 PM »

This is still a pretty weaksauce bill (and even that’s being extremely generous) and it’s kinda pathetic to see red avatars fawning over it, but I guess that’s what learned helplessness will do to you.  It’s better than nothing, I suppose, but that’s about the nicest thing that can be said about this basic, bare-bones bill.

That's what happens when the Senate is 50-50. You take the wins you can get. Hopefully the voters will give Democrats a bigger majority in November so that they can accomplish more.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5417 on: July 27, 2022, 06:24:22 PM »

Member of the DC press corps—perhaps the best example of the Enemy of the People news media—accidentally admits that he and his colleagues are useless.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5418 on: July 27, 2022, 06:39:26 PM »

Can we actually see if this even gets to the point of being voted on before we celebrate?

I can't blame anyone for still being cautious in the face of this decent news.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5419 on: July 27, 2022, 06:42:44 PM »

Can we actually see if this even gets to the point of being voted on before we celebrate?

Schumer already said they'd like to take it up next week.

Can't see this failing; Sinema has no major reason not to support and she usually only fails to support things when she can also hide behind Manchin as well. Can't do that this time. Meanwhile, besides maybe 1-3 people in the house who tend to be problematic, I can't imagine this will be a hard sell. Also, all of them know this is a must win at this point if they want any chance in Nov
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5420 on: July 27, 2022, 06:43:17 PM »

Imagine being this delusional to think that nearly $400B towards climate (among other things) is 'weaksauce'
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5421 on: July 27, 2022, 06:44:40 PM »

It's been said already, but Schumer and Manchin pulling a fast one over McConnell is just.... so fantastic.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5422 on: July 27, 2022, 06:46:11 PM »

Can't see this failing; Sinema has no major reason not to support and she usually only fails to support things when she can also hide behind Manchin as well. Can't do that this time. Meanwhile, besides maybe 1-3 people in the house who tend to be problematic, I can't imagine this will be a hard sell. Also, all of them know this is a must win at this point if they want any chance in Nov

Alright. Fingers crossed.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5423 on: July 27, 2022, 06:47:46 PM »

Oh my god this is so embarrassing.

Of course this kid works for Cori Bush, who also staged a protest against the Biden Administration while they were already working on a thing, and then when they finished work on the thing and announced it, claimed it was all because of her.  He's learning from the best!

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5424 on: July 27, 2022, 06:51:55 PM »

It could fail if somebody else gets Covid. e.g. Machin just had it.
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 214 215 216 [217] 218 219 220 221 222 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies