Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:33:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 246551 times)
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2400 on: October 18, 2021, 07:36:40 AM »

No surprise since Manchin is just doing what his donors of the fossil fuel industry are telling him. I'm not the biggest fan of AOC, but she's completely right here.

Unless individual US states and the private sector are doing even more, America is unfortunately on track to lose the "battle" of over becoming the green superpower of the 21st century. I'm actually glad all major parties in government in Germany (or most of Europe) actually agree here. It's just kinda sad investments in climate action and renewable energies are still not consensus in America. I'm aware the fossil fuel industry employs a lot of people, but nobody is calling to close them at once. Making sure there are other jobs available is an obligation of the government in the meantime.

Yup yup Germany is so green that its shutting down nuclear plants and moving towards more Russian gas!
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2401 on: October 18, 2021, 07:52:38 AM »

No surprise since Manchin is just doing what his donors of the fossil fuel industry are telling him. I'm not the biggest fan of AOC, but she's completely right here.

Unless individual US states and the private sector are doing even more, America is unfortunately on track to lose the "battle" of over becoming the green superpower of the 21st century. I'm actually glad all major parties in government in Germany (or most of Europe) actually agree here. It's just kinda sad investments in climate action and renewable energies are still not consensus in America. I'm aware the fossil fuel industry employs a lot of people, but nobody is calling to close them at once. Making sure there are other jobs available is an obligation of the government in the meantime.

Yup yup Germany is so green that its shutting down nuclear plants and moving towards more Russian gas!

The German people don't want nuclear. They pushed the government to stop building new reactors and the ones in operation are old and there is constant political upheaval about nuclear waste storage. Most of the world's energy funding for new projects instead of Nuclear is going towards renewables. It's like 60% renewables, 40% natural gas.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #2402 on: October 18, 2021, 08:07:55 AM »

Wow!

In just few days Joe Manchin has gone from telling progressive to pick one of Biden's three programs to help working families to now saying that even if they do pick 1 program he still going to want major cuts to it. At this point Manchin goal seems to be to water down the reconciliation bill so much that even if it does pass, it won't do much to actually help the American people at all

Major pieces on a reconciliation bill like climate change and even the child tax credits is either being cut from the bill or dramatically weakened. Honesty to me is all just sounds like a major disappointment and makes it clear to me just how big of a deal the Dems underperforming in 2020 was

Election have consequences and unfortunately the biggest consequence of the 2020 election was making Joe Manchin one of the most powerful people in Washington.

Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2403 on: October 18, 2021, 09:22:55 AM »

This is progress though, we can neagioate to 100k housholds
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #2404 on: October 18, 2021, 10:00:15 AM »

Joe Manchin everyday wakes up needing some way to  over the poor
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2405 on: October 18, 2021, 10:25:41 AM »

The child tax credit needs to be as universal as possible to ensure its continued existence and the promotion of family values against the selfish DINK hoarders of society who contribute nothing.

I always want to like Manchin, but he can never be better than a second tier D Senator. Just terrible policy and too internally deliberative.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #2406 on: October 18, 2021, 10:49:16 AM »

I don't care anymore, just sink both bills at this point. If Manchin's constituents don't care neither will I. Non atlas blue states can do their own infrastructure and child tax credits.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2407 on: October 18, 2021, 11:37:19 AM »

Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2408 on: October 18, 2021, 02:27:10 PM »

The child tax credit needs to be as universal as possible to ensure its continued existence and the promotion of family values against the selfish DINK hoarders of society who contribute nothing.

I always want to like Manchin, but he can never be better than a second tier D Senator. Just terrible policy and too internally deliberative.

Exactly my thoughts. I appreciate Manchin reigning in the excesses of some democrats, but his ideology fails to meet the moment in a lot of cases.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2409 on: October 18, 2021, 02:33:51 PM »

At this point, Democrats need to threaten to remove Manchin and Sinema from their respective committees. There's being "centrist", and then there's derailing the entire agenda of a president from your own party so that you can look/feel good. They need a taste of their own "my way or the highway" medicine.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2410 on: October 18, 2021, 09:06:19 PM »

At this point, Democrats need to threaten to remove Manchin and Sinema from their respective committees. There's being "centrist", and then there's derailing the entire agenda of a president from your own party so that you can look/feel good. They need a taste of their own "my way or the highway" medicine.

Oh no, this isn't about "looking good". It's about enriching themselves and their families.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2411 on: October 18, 2021, 09:26:28 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2021, 09:30:23 PM by Mr. Kanye West »

Do you want the Senate to go R, none of Biden Judges will get thru and Breyer can still retire in 2022, that won't happen

D's can net H and S seats that's why Biden and Jill Biden on Act Blue printing Ryan, Beasley and Demings as wave insurance for H Ds

Biden is on Act Blue and so is Jill promoting Wave insurance seats so we can keep the H. OH, FL and NC aren't permanent red states at least we have to go thru 2022/2024 two more Election cycles if that's the case and Biden is leading in FL😁😁😁
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #2412 on: October 18, 2021, 10:04:11 PM »

Do you want the Senate to go R, none of Biden Judges will get thru and Breyer can still retire in 2022, that won't happen

D's can net H and S seats that's why Biden and Jill Biden on Act Blue printing Ryan, Beasley and Demings as wave insurance for H Ds

Biden is on Act Blue and so is Jill promoting Wave insurance seats so we can keep the H. OH, FL and NC aren't permanent red states at least we have to go thru 2022/2024 two more Election cycles if that's the case and Biden is leading in FL😁😁😁

First off I don't believe "None" Biden judges get approved in a GOP Senate. McConnell did let some Obama nominees through after all, just not as many as people would've liked. Second, the Senate may flip anyways, and if Sununu runs in NH as I expect the Senate will be basically gone. So if Infrastructure Reconciliation can't pass, I don't really see much point in having Manchin around these days. While Breyer retiring would be ideal, I don't really see it happening anytime soon.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2413 on: October 18, 2021, 11:01:37 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2021, 11:05:31 PM by Mr. Kanye West »

First off I don't believe "None" Biden judges get approved in a GOP Senate. McConnell did let some Obama nominees through after all, just not as many as people would've liked. Second, the Senate may flip anyways, and if Sununu runs in NH as I expect the Senate will be basically gone. So if Infrastructure Reconciliation can't pass, I don't really see much point in having Manchin around these days. While Breyer retiring would be ideal, I don't really see it happening anytime soon.

Yeah the Senate flips and Re are trailing in every swing state AZ, NV, GA, PA except NH, Fetterman and Kelly is are up by nine pts in last poll

Of course you believe Rs gonna win you believe the H is gone, but Cali will Redistrict 4/7 Rs along with IL and NY Redistricting and Cook said that Rs arebt gonna get a huge bump out of Redistricting

The Election isn't tomorrow, Rs got spanked on Cali, Mccarthy wants to Gerrymandering TX but he is so unpopular in CA he can lose 4/7 seats in CAli

Rs have to win NV and CCM is up 47/41 and have lead in every poll
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2414 on: October 19, 2021, 07:10:58 AM »

Wow!

So Manchin is to the right of Romney on this one?

Nay, don't forget that the most of these statements from both sides, it's just a noise. IMHO, Manchin just hits Progressives, where it hurts most, in order to move the debate from coal/climate. He'll fold here to get somewhere else (coal?). But who knows? We'll see.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2415 on: October 19, 2021, 10:35:43 AM »

Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2416 on: October 19, 2021, 01:15:12 PM »

Menendez joins the fab 2!

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2417 on: October 19, 2021, 01:16:47 PM »

Can't risk losing his big pharma $$$, I guess.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2418 on: October 19, 2021, 03:34:21 PM »

Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2419 on: October 19, 2021, 04:34:38 PM »

Corrupt ghouls gonna corrupt.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2420 on: October 19, 2021, 04:47:42 PM »

So no progress then. They have been discussing this for 2 months
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #2421 on: October 19, 2021, 05:02:50 PM »

lol the only thing left is kickbacks to coal companies in the bill
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2422 on: October 19, 2021, 05:06:42 PM »

To correct some out-of-context mischaracterizations about the results of negotiations:

Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2423 on: October 19, 2021, 05:12:11 PM »

I'm assuming they will prudently pair the medicare benefit expansions with an increase in medicare taxes on wages and employers, right? That was how the program, which is already facing bad shortfalls, was designed. Pay in over the years to get benefits later on.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #2424 on: October 19, 2021, 05:18:08 PM »

Oh FFS Medicare negotiations is the bare minimum. The Bush admin regime that let’s drug companies name their price is indefensible from a policy stand point, and was largely thrown in as a way to try to bankrupt Medicare long term so he could try to force through his privatization program, and removing it is the single most popular provision of the whole package.

Also, even Manchin is on board and Sinema has been alleged to be opposed but even she won’t say so in public.

Menendez had better be writing up an ‘I was taken out of context statement’, because this one is non-negotiable.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies