Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 07:50:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 248264 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2375 on: October 17, 2021, 02:59:58 PM »

I remember some saying there are good and bad climate things in the bipartisan bill.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2376 on: October 17, 2021, 03:04:29 PM »

No surprise since Manchin is just doing what his donors of the fossil fuel industry are telling him. I'm not the biggest fan of AOC, but she's completely right here.

Unless individual US states and the private sector are doing even more, America is unfortunately on track to lose the "battle" of over becoming the green superpower of the 21st century. I'm actually glad all major parties in government in Germany (or most of Europe) actually agree here. It's just kinda sad investments in climate action and renewable energies are still not consensus in America. I'm aware the fossil fuel industry employs a lot of people, but nobody is calling to close them at once. Making sure there are other jobs available is an obligation of the government in the meantime.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #2377 on: October 17, 2021, 03:43:41 PM »

We only have until Nov 2032 to listen to Sinema and Manchin on Filibuster, Trifecta is still possible with 52 seats or more with Biden leading in FL and we can Amend this bill
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #2378 on: October 17, 2021, 03:44:27 PM »

No surprise since Manchin is just doing what his donors of the fossil fuel industry are telling him. I'm not the biggest fan of AOC, but she's completely right here.

Unless individual US states and the private sector are doing even more, America is unfortunately on track to lose the "battle" of over becoming the green superpower of the 21st century. I'm actually glad all major parties in government in Germany (or most of Europe) actually agree here. It's just kinda sad investments in climate action and renewable energies are still not consensus in America. I'm aware the fossil fuel industry employs a lot of people, but nobody is calling to close them at once. Making sure there are other jobs available is an obligation of the government in the meantime.

Parliamentary said all Reconciliation bills can be Amended, if D's win 2022 they can amend the Bill for 2023, stop worrying all Ds have to do is hold the Trifecta and get 52 SEN votes but OH and FL and NH can Fall for 53/47
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #2379 on: October 17, 2021, 04:22:40 PM »

If Manchin won't pass any climate provisions, then we need to kill both bills.

Why not roll out the red carpet for Trump?

That's a good question for Manchin and Sinema — are their personal financial interests really worth risking a fascist, authoritarian coup? Seemingly, they are. Because bloodsuckers like Manchin and Sinema assume no one in their class will actually pay the price. Risky bet.

Have you heard of the phrase "you have to work with what you have" ?

The fact that you would rather destroy this country than give up some of what you want disgusts me.

Moderates: *gut the reconciliation bill so it is almost entirely toothless in order to appease donors*

Progressives: Ok *nixes the infrastructure bill*

Moderates: wtf why are you destroying this country
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2380 on: October 17, 2021, 04:23:52 PM »

There are several issues transitioning oil/gas workers to green jobs.

First, they can be in totally different career fields. An engineer working wind turbines needs a different set of education than a gas worker.

Second, green energy typically requires a lot more education to work. Oil/gas jobs are probably the best paying field for non college educated workers.

Third, green jobs pay a lot less. They just do. Most oil/gas workers belong to legacy unions from decades ago.

Fourth, they are in different areas. A gas worker in Louisiana isn’t going to just sell his house to work in a wind field in Nebraska. Never mind it’ll devastate local economies

Fifth, green jobs just hire less people
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2381 on: October 17, 2021, 04:34:59 PM »

Climate is a real issue but I struggle to think we can make a real difference if the rest of the world doesn’t follow suit so honestly I don’t care that much if Manchin forces climate provisions to be scrapped.

I have more of an issue with the things SINEMA wants scrapped

Just get the thing passed - if they can do that and get the number anywhere near $2.2T it should be a meaningful package
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2382 on: October 17, 2021, 04:48:11 PM »

Climate is a real issue but I struggle to think we can make a real difference if the rest of the world doesn’t follow suit so honestly I don’t care that much if Manchin forces climate provisions to be scrapped.

Just get the thing passed - if they can do that and get the number anywhere near $2.2T it should be a meaningful package

Sinema confided in you? Please share what she said! Thanks.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2383 on: October 17, 2021, 05:13:39 PM »

Sinema confided in you? Please share what she said! Thanks.

Correction:

The things she disagrees with….

Being able to negotiate prescription drug prices. Raising taxes on the wealthy and corporations
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2384 on: October 17, 2021, 06:09:36 PM »

I can't believe I am going to be making this reference, but negotiating with Manchin and Sinema reminds me of this scene from 'You Don't Mess With the Zohan:'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kxaCcVIaFc
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2385 on: October 17, 2021, 07:16:35 PM »

Problem the DEMs have here is the longer this thing drags out the less popular the individual programs will become and the more disgruntled voters will gets with all of the delays because most Americans simply don't understand the intricacies of the "sausage making" process.

Bottom line, let's just move forward with the best we can get, and as I posted upthread setup  tripwires and expiration dates.

We can't stop what Manchin and Sinema will do for their "Red Lines" right now (Although we can always exact retribution later in the 2024 PRIM).

Still---- NO BIF until we get HIF part of BBB.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2386 on: October 17, 2021, 07:19:19 PM »

Wow!

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2387 on: October 17, 2021, 07:40:57 PM »

Wow!

Disgusting
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #2388 on: October 17, 2021, 07:44:27 PM »

Two parents working full-time $15/hr jobs = $62,400. No more child tax credit for them.

Insane or idiotic?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2389 on: October 17, 2021, 07:47:48 PM »

Two parents working full-time $15/hr jobs = $62,400. No more child tax credit for them.

Insane or idiotic?

I guess this means it would be mostly for single parents. Who, to be fair, on average probably need the help a lot more.

Super frustrating, though. Why should whether children, who can't control anything, get help depend on whether their parents are working?
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #2390 on: October 17, 2021, 07:47:52 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2021, 09:10:50 PM by LVScreenssuck »

Well you have to understand that he’s from West Virginia and if there is one thing West Virginia is famous for, it’s the kind of high household incomes and strong community systems that makes additional childcare support unnecessary.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #2391 on: October 17, 2021, 07:53:05 PM »

He’s so awful
RFayette 🇻🇦
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2392 on: October 17, 2021, 07:54:22 PM »

Manchin and Sinema are so based.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2393 on: October 17, 2021, 08:23:37 PM »

Economists say adding a child tax credit work requirement would harm the neediest kids

This is just the same Southern Conservative anti-welfare, punish the poor nonsense we've had going on for decades. Biden should tell him to shove his demands up his coal mine.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2394 on: October 17, 2021, 08:44:30 PM »

Might be a dumb question, but how does someone who isn’t working getting a tax credit in the first place? They aren’t filing.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2395 on: October 17, 2021, 09:02:42 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2021, 09:17:44 PM by GP270watch »

Might be a dumb question, but how does someone who isn’t working getting a tax credit in the first place? They aren’t filing.

Because the tax credit is nonsense. It's the conservative solution to every problem in lieu of comprehensive social programs.

It's their answer to poverty, childcare, home ownership, retirement, healthcare, making college free etc. You can weaken any social program benefit by putting a work requirement(most poor people already work), and further weaken by means testing. Programs with disjointed constituencies are easy to weaken and demonize and then easily cut.

Biden dropped the pretense and made the child tax credit an anti-poverty program in addition to helping the working poor and middle class for the very purpose of not disincentivizing work.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #2396 on: October 17, 2021, 09:17:48 PM »

Kill the infrastructure bill then if they won't cooperate!
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #2397 on: October 17, 2021, 10:22:03 PM »

Fire Gail Manchin and start up the Mylan investigations.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #2398 on: October 17, 2021, 10:55:58 PM »

Wow!

Why is Manchin allowed to be a committee chairman again?

Heck if the majority expands after the midterms he needs to be kicked out of the Democratic caucus.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2399 on: October 18, 2021, 02:44:46 AM »

It's a refundable tax credit. It can reduce your tax liability below zero which means the government would pay you. The rules this year I believe are you don't even need to have any income to take the child tax credit.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies