DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 09:28:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 275051 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2550 on: January 07, 2021, 11:56:50 AM »

Trump has been band by Facebook indefinitely. I imagine Twitter will follow their lead.

Zuckerberg can eat sh**t. NOW is the time that it got too dangerous for democracy?

What about other countries where these strategies (some even worse) are constantly used by far-right leaders? Are they gonna do something about this too or is the special treatment just with US when they’re about to have a rupture with democracy?

Honestly, go f*** yourself Zucky. It’s not one miserable account that needs to be blocked, but YOUR entire sh**tty social media, which has been by far the worst of all when it comes to dealing with the spread of fake news and political radicalization. End Facebook immediately.

If I end you mean invoke major antitrust Provisions against it, absolutely.

However, it is ironically Converse that right-wingers and Trump fans are currently abandoning Facebook in massive droves to sign up for parler, due to Facebook supposedly being too heavy handed in restricting "free speech" by clamping down on BS conspiracy theories and other blatant misinformation.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2551 on: January 07, 2021, 11:59:11 AM »

Also I think after all of this I must offer an apology to the BLM movement.
I called them out for looting and justified the police response under the pretense that there was massive property destruction, violence, and congregation during a pandemic.

Well...we saw all of the above yesterday and the DC police seemed complicit in allowing these protestors to go through.

Before I had thought that the idea of police hating black Americans was ridiculous. Yes I saw the George Floyd incident, but I viewed it as an outlier. I believed that a large cause of the disparities were largely due to poverty rather than race.

Yesterday cleared any illusions I had about all of that. The lack of a police response to these violent rioters desecrating our greatest landmark, our sacred hall, tells me everything. I hereby apologize for supporting the police response during the Floyd protests, and while I still do not agree with the looting that did occur then, it is clear there exists a shocking double standard in America which must change.

I still don’t think the slogan defund the police was ever bright, but I am more sympathetic than ever towards replacing the structure we have now.

I will say it now, even if six months too late.

Black Lives Matter.

Always have and always will. That being said, “Defund the police” was an incredibly poorly thought-out slogan that likely cost Democrats millions of voters, several House seats, and an outright trifecta on election night.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #2552 on: January 07, 2021, 12:01:04 PM »

New Jersey and Delaware are sending parts of their National Guards to D.C.
Is this by their own initiative? because that would be beyond the jurisdiction of the state militia. Is it by the request of the DoD? if so who issued it? Trump or Pence?

Murphy said it's at the request of the United States National Guard Bureau, in other words, uniformed Army and Air Force leadership.
can they order this on their own? no need for the order to come up higher in the chain of command? this is the deployment of armed militia in the federal territory after all...

Who's CiNC 'actual' atm?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2553 on: January 07, 2021, 12:02:29 PM »

Capitol police has charged the following 14 people in relation with yesterday's events:

Unlawful Entry:
Leonard Guthrie, Cape May, N.J.
John Anderson, St. Augustine, Fla.
Matthew Council, Riverview, Fla.
Bradley Ruskelas, Inverness, Ill.
Michael Curzio, Summerfield, Fla
Cindy Fitchett, Cobbs Creek, Va.
Terry Brown, Myerstown, Pa.
Douglas Sweet, Hudgins, Va.
Thomas Gallagher, Bridgewater, N.H.
Zandra Sixkiller-Cramer, Glenwood, Md.

Assaulting a Police Officer, Unlawful Entry, Resisting Arrest:
Mark Leffingerwell, No fixed address

CPWL & Unregistered ammunition:
Grant Moore, Buford, Ga.

CPWL, Unregistered Firearm, Unregistered Ammunition:
Lonnie Zoffman, Falkville, Al.

Assaulting a Police Officer:
David Blair, Clarksburg, Md.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2554 on: January 07, 2021, 12:04:59 PM »

Is this by their own initiative? because that would be beyond the jurisdiction of the state militia. Is it by the request of the DoD? if so who issued it? Trump or Pence?

Murphy said it's at the request of the United States National Guard Bureau, in other words, uniformed Army and Air Force leadership.
can they order this on their own? no need for the order to come up higher in the chain of command? this is the deployment of armed militia in the federal territory after all...

Who's CiNC 'actual' atm?

They are being deployed in a civil, and not military capacity, so their Commanders-in-Chief would be their state Governors. States have mutual assistance agreements with each other for things like this. Obviously DC is not a state, but there are similar provisions in place.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2555 on: January 07, 2021, 12:05:21 PM »

Capitol police has charged the following 14 people in relation with yesterday's events:

Unlawful Entry:

Grant Moore, Buford, Ga.

Lots of Florida Men in this list.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #2556 on: January 07, 2021, 12:07:11 PM »

I've seen reports that four people have died but the only person I'm aware of is the air force veteran from California that was shot.  Does anyone know anything about who the other three were?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2557 on: January 07, 2021, 12:07:38 PM »

Unlawful Entry:

Grant Moore, Buford, Ga.

Three? 
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #2558 on: January 07, 2021, 12:09:29 PM »

Who's CiNC 'actual' atm?

They are being deployed in a civil, and not military capacity, so their Commanders-in-Chief would be their state Governors. States have mutual assistance agreements with each other for things like this. Obviously DC is not a state, but there are similar provisions in place.
Who holds the authority to ask for assistance for DC? it's not the mayor, so it must be some federal organ. Who issued the request?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2559 on: January 07, 2021, 12:09:35 PM »

I just heard Tim Ryan being interviewed on our local NPR station. He is of course the chair of the committee that oversees the Capitol Police Department. He had words of praise for the Department saying they were simply outmanned, but castigated the fact that the Capitol Police were over also unprepared and understaffed given all the advance warning of incitement that Donald Trump has committed over the last several months.

What shocked me was news I had not yet her. Reportedly there are 40 to 50 officers injured out of this, 15 of whom were hospitalized, one of whom is in critical condition after being beaten with pipes!
How they could be so unprepared is beyond me. Handling things like this is their job.

Of course, the part I was surprised about was the fact that the DC National Guard hadn't been activated.  I naturally assumed they'd be there because you see them for other protests, but it turn out (at least under Trump) they're only called out in advance for black protestors.
There’s a little more nuance on that particular point, though, because Muriel Bowser had talked with the Secretary of Defense a couple of weeks ago and they agreed that the DC National Guard would be deployed if these protests turned ugly.

I'm sure we'll learn details soon enough, but it's not hard to find pictures of National Guard all lined up on the Capitol steps for previous demonstrations.  Well in advance.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #2560 on: January 07, 2021, 12:09:47 PM »

Unlawful Entry:

Grant Moore, Buford, Ga.

Three? 

It's a state of mind.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #2561 on: January 07, 2021, 12:10:31 PM »

I've seen reports that four people have died but the only person I'm aware of is the air force veteran from California that was shot.  Does anyone know anything about who the other three were?

They died from medical emergencies, probably heart attacks or something. Their names haven't been released yet probably since the families are still being notified.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #2562 on: January 07, 2021, 12:11:28 PM »

Unlawful Entry:

Grant Moore, Buford, Ga.

Very disappointed to see someone from Inverness on this list. I used to live very close to there.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2563 on: January 07, 2021, 12:11:58 PM »

Unlawful Entry:

Grant Moore, Buford, Ga.

Very disappointed to see someone from Inverness on this list. I used to live very close to there.

crazy people live everywhere.  Is this really news? 
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2564 on: January 07, 2021, 12:12:02 PM »

Another candidate for expulsion/impeachment:

A West Virginia state lawmaker recorded video of himself and fellow supporters of President Donald Trump storming the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, triggering calls for his resignation. In the video by Republican Delegate Derrick Evans, later deleted from his social media page, he is shown wearing a helmet and clamoring at the door to breach the building after Congress met for an expected vote to affirm Democrat Joe Biden's election victory.

"We're in! Keep it moving, baby!" he said in a packed doorway amid Trump followers holding flags and complaining of being pepper sprayed. Once inside, Evans could be seen on video milling around the Capitol Rotunda, where historical paintings depict the republic's founding, and yelled "no vandalizing."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/derrick-evans-west-virginia-us-capitol-video/
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2565 on: January 07, 2021, 12:12:51 PM »

They died from medical emergencies, probably heart attacks or something. Their names haven't been released yet probably since the families are still being notified.

I have heard reports, but don't know how reliable they are, that the other three were:

1. Fell off the Capitol steps and hit their head.
2. Heart attack after a flash-bang went off close to them.
3. Heart attack after accidentally self-tasing.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2566 on: January 07, 2021, 12:14:13 PM »

Some of those 39% of Republicans only say it was an attempted coup cause they think that’s a good thing

Something else dawned on me about these polls. Based on public opinion polls apparently under estimating support for Trump both in this past election + 4 years ago, there's a decent likelihood such support for yesterday's violence is actually somewhat higher. Sad
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #2567 on: January 07, 2021, 12:17:07 PM »

Another candidate for expulsion/impeachment:

A West Virginia state lawmaker recorded video of himself and fellow supporters of President Donald Trump storming the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, triggering calls for his resignation. In the video by Republican Delegate Derrick Evans, later deleted from his social media page, he is shown wearing a helmet and clamoring at the door to breach the building after Congress met for an expected vote to affirm Democrat Joe Biden's election victory.

"We're in! Keep it moving, baby!" he said in a packed doorway amid Trump followers holding flags and complaining of being pepper sprayed. Once inside, Evans could be seen on video milling around the Capitol Rotunda, where historical paintings depict the republic's founding, and yelled "no vandalizing."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/derrick-evans-west-virginia-us-capitol-video/
And prosecution for treason after that.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2568 on: January 07, 2021, 12:17:54 PM »

Frightening that it's only 51%

36% of Americans-obviously the most hardcore elements of Trump's base-are opposed to his removal from office. That is alarming, but not surprising, unfortunately. It matches what has traditionally been the floor for major-party support in previous presidential elections; Landon, Goldwater, and McGovern, for example, did not drop below that percentage in their failed runs.

Landon, Goldwater, and McGovern did not actively Insight violent resistance and take over the American government when they lost their elections! If the world had any justice in it, this number should be in the single digits. Hell, even Nixon's approval rating trunk as low as 24% during the height of Watergate which, as awful an abuse of Presidential Power that was, pales in comparison to what Trump has done.

Enough talk about so-called polarisation. Polarization implies there are two equally and increasingly Divergent opposites. The Republican Party has been responsible from 90 to 99% of the growing extremism and one sided on their part polarization in this country.

Oh, what's that you say? 8 minority faction of the Democrats supports medicare-for-all and a vague environmental proposal called The Green New Deal? Shock and horror! Such radicalism! Come back to me when our party has a plurality support for an attempted violent takeover of Congress and stopping a lawful presidential election! THAT'S extremism! And the self-identified Democratic socialists that comprise about a tenth of the Democratic Congressional Delegation doesn't. Remotely. Begin. To. Compare!

Like you did yesterday, I think you're overreacting and misinterpreting what I am saying. The point I was trying to make is that each Party and each President enjoys a hard floor of support, which not even the worst of events-such as yesterday's attack on the U.S. Capitol-will shake. Now, Nixon and W. Bush saw their approval ratings sink much further than Trump's has, and that, unfortunately, is a sign of polarization. But they still had millions of Americans who approved of them. No matter what is done, or what is said, some people just aren't going to be swayed from those views, even if such views are worthy of universal condemnation.

Calthrina, my friend, please don't misinterpret my statements as an attack on you, or even necessarily entirely disagreeing with your posts. Consider this post a mere point of Distinction.

And when I was addressing the hypothetical Republican yammering on about radical Democrats in my post, that was certainly not addressed to you. But rather to Trump supporters in general, of which I know you are not one, as well as the mythical Trump supporter who has frankly been living in my head the last 24 hours.Tongue Ditto for my previous post.

No offense intended.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2569 on: January 07, 2021, 12:18:36 PM »

Frightening that it's only 51%

36% of Americans-obviously the most hardcore elements of Trump's base-are opposed to his removal from office. That is alarming, but not surprising, unfortunately. It matches what has traditionally been the floor for major-party support in previous presidential elections; Landon, Goldwater, and McGovern, for example, did not drop below that percentage in their failed runs.

Landon, Goldwater, and McGovern did not actively Insight violent resistance and take over the American government when they lost their elections! If the world had any justice in it, this number should be in the single digits. Hell, even Nixon's approval rating trunk as low as 24% during the height of Watergate which, as awful an abuse of Presidential Power that was, pales in comparison to what Trump has done.

Enough talk about so-called polarisation. Polarization implies there are two equally and increasingly Divergent opposites. The Republican Party has been responsible from 90 to 99% of the growing extremism and one sided on their part polarization in this country.

Oh, what's that you say? 8 minority faction of the Democrats supports medicare-for-all and a vague environmental proposal called The Green New Deal? Shock and horror! Such radicalism! Come back to me when our party has a plurality support for an attempted violent takeover of Congress and stopping a lawful presidential election! THAT'S extremism! And the self-identified Democratic socialists that comprise about a tenth of the Democratic Congressional Delegation doesn't. Remotely. Begin. To. Compare!

Like you did yesterday, I think you're overreacting and misinterpreting what I am saying. The point I was trying to make is that each Party and each President enjoys a hard floor of support, which not even the worst of events-such as yesterday's attack on the U.S. Capitol-will shake. Now, Nixon and W. Bush saw their approval ratings sink much further than Trump's has, and that, unfortunately, is a sign of polarization. But they still had millions of Americans who approved of them. No matter what is done, or what is said, some people just aren't going to be swayed from those views, even if such views are worthy of universal condemnation.

Calthrina, my friend, please don't misinterpret my statements as an attack on you, or even necessarily entirely disagreeing with your posts. Consider this post a mere point of Distinction.

And when I was addressing the hypothetical Republican yammering on about radical Democrats in my post, that was certainly not addressed to you. But rather to Trump supporters in general, of which I know you are not one, as well as the mythical Trump supporter who has frankly been living in my head the last 24 hours.Tongue Ditto for my previous post.

No offense intended.

I understand, and thank you for the apology.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2570 on: January 07, 2021, 12:19:09 PM »

First leader to propose this other than McGovern right?
So if Schumer is putting this out there, does that mean he knows Pelosi is ready to kick the tires on it in the House? I assume they must be coordinating their messaging on this.

Of course the big question here, where is Pence on this?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2571 on: January 07, 2021, 12:19:32 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2572 on: January 07, 2021, 12:19:41 PM »

I have heard reports, but don't know how reliable they are, that the other three were:

1. Fell off the Capitol steps and hit their head.
2. Heart attack after a flash-bang went off close to them.
3. Heart attack after accidentally self-tasing.

The owners of 8chan, as well as Q if he's not one of them, should be facing 4 murder charges.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2573 on: January 07, 2021, 12:19:47 PM »

Unlawful Entry:

Grant Moore, Buford, Ga.

crazy people live everywhere.  Is this really news? 

Of course, crazy people live everywhere, but that doesn't mean one cannot condemn them or express their disappointment about them. Now, I have a question of my own. Do you hold Trump responsible for what happened yesterday? If not, why?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2574 on: January 07, 2021, 12:19:59 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies