Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 01:32:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226
Author Topic: Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread  (Read 267930 times)
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5575 on: January 15, 2021, 01:40:55 AM »

If the results are certified on Tuesday, do Warnock and Ossoff get sworn in the same day, or is there additional delay from there?

The Georgia Secretary of State must send an election certificate to the Senate.  As soon as this is received by the secretary of the Senate, they can be sworn in.

Is it likely to arrive within the day, or at least overnight?

Likely overnight, the AJC wrote today that they'll likely be sworn-in when the Senate reconvenes on Wednesday (so, just after the inauguration & immediately prior to the beginning of the trial).

Ah, I see. Can there be a vote on the very same day to replace McConnell with Schumer, or will that have to wait too?

That will happen as soon as Ossoff and Warnock are sworn in and Harris is Vice President. I do think, however, that there will need to be some sort of vote to make Pat Leahy the President Pro Tempore. Does anyone know what the process is for that? I always watch the House on the opening day of Congress and have never bothered to watch the Senate on that day.

Wait, so does Schumer becoming majority leader happen automatically without the need of a vote or any kind of formal process? Just as long as it's ascertained that there are 50+1 Democrats in the Senate? Great news if so.

As far as I know, yes, Schumer will automatically become majority leader being that he is already the recognized Democratic leader and on January 20, the Democrats will have a majority. With that said, I'm sure that there is some procedural garbage that they have to go through for committee chairmanships and the like. I also just watched the replay of C-SPAN from 1/3/19 when Chuck Grassley replaced Orrin Hatch at President Pro Tempore and that was a quick process (there wasn't even a vote).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5576 on: January 15, 2021, 01:42:29 AM »

I see. Well, that's a start. Hopefully the other procedural stuff can be dealt with in the following days.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5577 on: January 15, 2021, 02:13:42 AM »

If the results are certified on Tuesday, do Warnock and Ossoff get sworn in the same day, or is there additional delay from there?

The Georgia Secretary of State must send an election certificate to the Senate.  As soon as this is received by the secretary of the Senate, they can be sworn in.

Is it likely to arrive within the day, or at least overnight?

Likely overnight, the AJC wrote today that they'll likely be sworn-in when the Senate reconvenes on Wednesday (so, just after the inauguration & immediately prior to the beginning of the trial).

Ah, I see. Can there be a vote on the very same day to replace McConnell with Schumer, or will that have to wait too?

That will happen as soon as Ossoff and Warnock are sworn in and Harris is Vice President. I do think, however, that there will need to be some sort of vote to make Pat Leahy the President Pro Tempore. Does anyone know what the process is for that? I always watch the House on the opening day of Congress and have never bothered to watch the Senate on that day.

Wait, so does Schumer becoming majority leader happen automatically without the need of a vote or any kind of formal process? Just as long as it's ascertained that there are 50+1 Democrats in the Senate? Great news if so.

As far as I know, yes, Schumer will automatically become majority leader being that he is already the recognized Democratic leader and on January 20, the Democrats will have a majority. With that said, I'm sure that there is some procedural garbage that they have to go through for committee chairmanships and the like. I also just watched the replay of C-SPAN from 1/3/19 when Chuck Grassley replaced Orrin Hatch at President Pro Tempore and that was a quick process (there wasn't even a vote).

Based on 2001, it won't be automatic, & measures to elect a new PPT & provide the organizational basis for power-sharing in the Senate when the parties are equally divided will need to be passed. Resolutions providing as much can (& presumably will) be passed very quickly - if not by unanimous consent - right after Ossoff/Warnock are sworn-in & before they go into trial mode, but it does need to procedurally be done.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5578 on: January 15, 2021, 03:53:17 AM »

Yeah, we're on track for a January 20th confirmation for Warnock and Ossoff. I posted about it a few days ago, but basically the Senate's last regularly scheduled day in session was January 6 (with the next being Inauguration Day/January 20). Whether every county finished certification today - which the law technically mandates - and the state sent it over today, or it happens on Tuesday, the same result will apply: swearing in on January 20.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #5579 on: January 15, 2021, 05:46:38 AM »

live look at biden proudly peering over warnock and ossoff at a senate majority they are about to secure
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5580 on: January 15, 2021, 10:04:07 AM »

13 counties in North GA and 15 in South GA are left to certify.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5581 on: January 15, 2021, 03:24:04 PM »

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/781341859829383221/799589464912429076/image0.png

live look at biden proudly peering over warnock and ossoff at a senate majority they are about to secure

I feel like neither Jon Ossoff nor Mel Gibson would appreciate the comparison to one another for a very obvious reason.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #5582 on: January 15, 2021, 03:48:36 PM »

17 counties left.

11 in North GA, 6 in South GA.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #5583 on: January 15, 2021, 04:02:34 PM »

Fulton & Clayton have certified (together with 6 others) right now.

Only 9 counties remain uncertified.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5584 on: January 15, 2021, 04:48:23 PM »

10 minutes remaining: 8 counties left.

2 of these counties (Murray and Lumpkin) had previously certified. I'm guessing there were some issues: I noticed there have been about a dozen counties that were certified and then reversed at various points.

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5585 on: January 15, 2021, 05:46:47 PM »

As usual, we (Forsyth) are one of the slowest.
skbl17
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #5586 on: January 15, 2021, 05:54:02 PM »

Only three counties are left:

- Bartow: Their last update to the state came at 5:17 this afternoon.
- Murray: Apparently, they haven't updated their results since 11:13 am on Tuesday.
- Union: Last updated at 8:52 pm on election night. Does anyone know what's going on in Blairsville?

Forsyth got their certification in at 4:40, 20 minutes before the deadline, but they weren't the slowest in the metro: that would be DeKalb (4:50).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5587 on: January 15, 2021, 06:58:06 PM »

Only three counties are left:

- Bartow: Their last update to the state came at 5:17 this afternoon.
- Murray: Apparently, they haven't updated their results since 11:13 am on Tuesday.
- Union: Last updated at 8:52 pm on election night. Does anyone know what's going on in Blairsville?

Forsyth got their certification in at 4:40, 20 minutes before the deadline, but they weren't the slowest in the metro: that would be DeKalb (4:50).

Could they be refusing to certify?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5588 on: January 15, 2021, 07:53:24 PM »

Now it's already been brought up countless times about Black turnout being really good and were definitely one of the many crucial parts of Warnock and Ossoff's victories.

However, one thing I haven't seen yet is anyone mentioning that one of the reasons why Ossoff lost the GA-06 special in the first place was him not getting the turnout he really needed from them. That wasn't the case this time around thankfully. The presence of Warnock helped Ossoff without a doubt, but from what I saw his outreach to Black voters in preparation for the runoff was really good on its own.

I'm still extremely glad that this dynamic duo pulled it off and seeing more evidence that counters the claim that Georgia "just wasn't there yet."
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5589 on: January 15, 2021, 08:18:25 PM »

Now it's already been brought up countless times about Black turnout being really good and were definitely one of the many crucial parts of Warnock and Ossoff's victories.

However, one thing I haven't seen yet is anyone mentioning that one of the reasons why Ossoff lost the GA-06 special in the first place was him not getting the turnout he really needed from them. That wasn't the case this time around thankfully. The presence of Warnock helped Ossoff without a doubt, but from what I saw his outreach to Black voters in preparation for the runoff was really good on its own.

I'm still extremely glad that this dynamic duo pulled it off and seeing more evidence that counters the claim that Georgia "just wasn't there yet."
Him running a statewide race allowed him to run a campaign more explicit on Black issues and post 2018/Stacey Abrams Black voting rights has been at the center of Georgia politics.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5590 on: January 15, 2021, 10:16:33 PM »

All counties have now certified, and the state is likely to do so on Tuesday. Ossoff and Warnock will likely be sworn in Wednesday morning.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5591 on: January 15, 2021, 10:19:14 PM »

These are really impressive victories, especially considering Biden only won the state by 11K. Hopefully Georgia continues to rapidly trend our way.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #5592 on: January 15, 2021, 10:22:48 PM »

All counties have now certified, and the state is likely to do so on Tuesday. Ossoff and Warnock will likely be sworn in Wednesday morning.

The question is, do they want to be sworn in by Pence or Harris? I would assume that they would just wait until after the inauguration is over so Harris swears them in which would flip the chamber in one fell swoop (and I want to watch exactly that unfold on C-SPAN).
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #5593 on: January 15, 2021, 11:02:49 PM »

The question is, do they want to be sworn in by Pence or Harris? I would assume that they would just wait until after the inauguration is over so Harris swears them in which would flip the chamber in one fell swoop (and I want to watch exactly that unfold on C-SPAN).

if it was me id want pence, one last time to rub it in hehe
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5594 on: January 15, 2021, 11:37:05 PM »

It's done!!! Cheesy

Final margins: Warnock+2.09, Ossoff+1.23. Blackman sadly fell short by just 0.75.

For Senate though, what a victory! Here's to many more like these, starting in 2022.

Also, the Needle turned out to underestimate both Democrats by about 0.1. Tongue Chances are if they kept it running just a bit longer on Wednesday, it would have gotten right on the money, though. The trend has been upward all night.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5595 on: January 15, 2021, 11:41:38 PM »

https://twitter.com/BrendanKeefe/status/1350243979045072897

It's not a matter of who they want, it's a matter of when the first Senate reconvening after their certification is. If - as expected - it's after the inauguration, then it'll be Harris.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5596 on: January 15, 2021, 11:57:47 PM »

Also interesting to note that the 538 polling averages were right on the money in estimating Warnock's margin, but slightly overestimated Ossoff (they put him at +1.8). Probably too small to warrant serious analysis, but I do half-wonder what made the dropoff between the two candidates wider than expected. Shy Enlightened Suburban Ticket-Splitter Effect?
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #5597 on: January 16, 2021, 12:03:12 AM »

It's not a matter of who they want, it's a matter of when the first Senate reconvening after their certification is. If - as expected - it's after the inauguration, then it'll be Harris.

If the Senate doesn't receive the certificates until after 12:00 ET on 1/20 then yes, they will have no choice but have Harris swear them in, but I would assume that the Senate would get them before noon. Then, it is just a matter of when Ossoff and Warnock show up on the Senate floor...
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5598 on: January 16, 2021, 12:08:35 AM »

If the Senate doesn't receive the certificates until after 12:00 ET on 1/20 then yes, they will have no choice but have Harris swear them in, but I would assume that the Senate would get them before noon. Then, it is just a matter of when Ossoff and Warnock show up on the Senate floor...

No, that's still not exactly how it works. Even once the Senate has received the certificates, they still have to wait for the Senate to actually be in session before they can be sworn in. If the Senate gets the certificates at 6am on Wednesday but they're not in session 'til, say, 1pm, then they can't be sworn in 'til 1pm.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #5599 on: January 16, 2021, 12:56:56 AM »

No, that's still not exactly how it works. Even once the Senate has received the certificates, they still have to wait for the Senate to actually be in session before they can be sworn in. If the Senate gets the certificates at 6am on Wednesday but they're not in session 'til, say, 1pm, then they can't be sworn in 'til 1pm.

Of course...but I am operating under the assumption that the Senate will be in session both in the AM and PM on January 20.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies