Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:40:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 225 226
Author Topic: Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread  (Read 267643 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5500 on: January 10, 2021, 06:32:09 PM »

This is what it looked like the last time Vernon Jones ran for Senate. Jones is red on the left (Democratic primary) and blue on the right (Democratic primary runoff).

Seeing as that he clearly did not get a lot of white votes, I wonder how many people there might be to vote for Vernon Jones in the primary both 2008 and 2022.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5501 on: January 10, 2021, 09:14:42 PM »

I think people are overestimating how fast GA is moving left. States don’t always trend linearly, I bet this state will still be highly competitive until at least 2026. Warnock may not even be the favorite for 2022 at this point.

Even Virginia was competitive for 8+ years

I agree. VA Republicans still had one last hurrah in the 2009 gubernatorial election, and were competitive in the 2012 Presidential Election and 2013 gubernatorial.

2022 will be competitive in GA, as will 2024.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #5502 on: January 11, 2021, 12:32:07 AM »

It is notable that both Warnock and Ossoff won while running as mainstream Democrats in Georgia.  Not to mention that one is black and the other is Jewish.  In the past we would have gotten a Joe Manchin, John Breaux or Zell Miller conservative Democratic Senator from the South.  The Peach State also voted for a Yankee Democrat (Biden) for president.  The only other Democratic Presidential candidate to win the state in the last 30 years was Bill Clinton, a fellow southerner.  Georgia is now a battleground state.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5503 on: January 11, 2021, 06:44:57 AM »

This is what it looked like the last time Vernon Jones ran for Senate. Jones is red on the left (Democratic primary) and blue on the right (Democratic primary runoff).

Seeing as that he clearly did not get a lot of white votes, I wonder how many people there might be to vote for Vernon Jones in the primary both 2008 and 2022.

That was an eternity ago in Georgia politics. Jones is public enemy number 1 here in DeKalb and would put together a coalition of radical Trumpers and maybe a few scattered hoteps (if they vote). Not enough to win the state, he'd be toxic in the white burbs like Alpharetta and Roswell. Even more toxic than Loeffler.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5504 on: January 11, 2021, 06:58:23 AM »

The insanity.

Jesus
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5505 on: January 11, 2021, 10:12:19 AM »

GA proved a warning ⚠️ to Rs that 2022 may not be an R yr, usually in Runoffs, or Special Elections, inparty loses
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5506 on: January 11, 2021, 11:07:13 AM »

It is notable that both Warnock and Ossoff won while running as mainstream Democrats in Georgia.  Not to mention that one is black and the other is Jewish.  In the past we would have gotten a Joe Manchin, John Breaux or Zell Miller conservative Democratic Senator from the South.  The Peach State also voted for a Yankee Democrat (Biden) for president.  The only other Democratic Presidential candidate to win the state in the last 30 years was Bill Clinton, a fellow southerner.  Georgia is now a battleground state.

This is why the idea you need a mushy moderate to win Southern states is nonsense. You just need the right electorate to show up and the right candidate. Warnock and Ossoff ran on solidly progressive policies even if they're not progressive firebrands and actually moved left for the runoff.

Democrats need to keep developing their bench and making clear the stark policy differences between The Democratic Party popular platform and the Republican Party's failed policies.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5507 on: January 11, 2021, 11:17:04 AM »

This is why the idea you need a mushy moderate to win Southern states is nonsense. You just need the right electorate to show up and the right candidate. Warnock and Ossoff ran on solidly progressive policies even if they're not progressive firebrands and actually moved left for the runoff.

It depends on which Southern states we're talking about. A mainstream Democratic campaign like the ones Ossoff and Warnock ran did work in Georgia, would easily work in Virginia and could in North Carolina, Florida and possibly Texas. But a JBE-type Democrat was probably the only one who could have won in Louisiana, just like how only a Phil Scott or Charlie Baker-type Republican would be electable in Vermont or Massachusetts.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5508 on: January 11, 2021, 11:37:28 AM »

1/3rd of GA counties have official results now and Löffler dropped below 49%.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5509 on: January 11, 2021, 11:56:55 AM »

Where do you see that? The SoS website has her at 49.00%.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5510 on: January 11, 2021, 12:30:03 PM »

Sorry, it's just not there yet.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5511 on: January 11, 2021, 12:40:51 PM »

It depends on which Southern states we're talking about. A mainstream Democratic campaign like the ones Ossoff and Warnock ran did work in Georgia, would easily work in Virginia and could in North Carolina, Florida and possibly Texas. But a JBE-type Democrat was probably the only one who could have won in Louisiana, just like how only a Phil Scott or Charlie Baker-type Republican would be electable in Vermont or Massachusetts.

I’m pretty sure the type of campaign Ossoff ran wouldn’t even have worked in FL and NC, but I agree with you overall.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5512 on: January 11, 2021, 02:11:53 PM »

Where do you see that? The SoS website has her at 49.00%.

49.001% to be precise. C'mon, almost there....
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5513 on: January 11, 2021, 02:20:47 PM »

I just want to correct the record, Bagel and Caltrina made fun of my prediction that Ossoff and WARNOCK were gonna win and French Republican, now Bagel is doing a 180 and now says GA Senate is Likely D in 2022😆😆😆

Bad Predictions
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5514 on: January 11, 2021, 02:53:06 PM »

Not sure this has been discussed yet, but according to Wikipedia, Warnock will become junior senator because of his last name and Ossoff preceding him alphabetically.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5515 on: January 11, 2021, 02:54:24 PM »

Not sure this has been discussed yet, but according to Wikipedia, Warnock will become junior senator because of his last name and Ossoff preceding him alphabetically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUNXZhmTvjI

Warnock's last name screwing him over yet again Sad
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #5516 on: January 11, 2021, 02:56:32 PM »

I just want to correct the record, Bagel and Caltrina made fun of my prediction that Ossoff and WARNOCK were gonna win and French Republican, now Bagel is doing a 180 and now says GA Senate is Likely D in 2022😆😆😆

Bad Predictions

Drag them, king.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5517 on: January 11, 2021, 02:57:04 PM »

Any updates on when Ossoff and Warnock will be sworn in?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5518 on: January 11, 2021, 02:57:35 PM »

An interesting tiebreaker would be rather than use last name, maybe they could use margin of victory as the penultimate tiebreaker?
sguberman
United States

« Reply #5519 on: January 11, 2021, 03:15:56 PM »

Am I the only person who thinks it's possible Loeffler voted for Clinton in 2016?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5520 on: January 11, 2021, 03:17:21 PM »

Am I the only person who thinks it's possible Loeffler voted for Clinton in 2016?

No, originally she actually was pretty “moderate” but once she was appointed she definately changed
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #5521 on: January 11, 2021, 03:21:24 PM »

Bad Predictions

I say tilt D for 2022 now, you are literally lying. I am also capable of admit listening learning from mistakes and adapting. Also most of my other predictions were good.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5522 on: January 11, 2021, 03:31:41 PM »

Now that the results are mostly settled, what percentage of the Black vote did Perdue and Loeffler get?
I heard Isakson got nearly 20% in 2016, which is really good for a Republican in the South. Though there's no way either of them came close to this mark.

Would also be curious about the Asian vote, given how they're becoming increasingly important in Georgia.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #5523 on: January 11, 2021, 04:03:51 PM »

Results by congressional district, so far-

GA-06 stands out as one district where Perdue/Loeffler did better than Trump.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #5524 on: January 11, 2021, 04:32:22 PM »

Results by congressional district, so far-

GA-06 stands out as one district where Perdue/Loeffler did better than Trump.

I don't remember where in this thread someone posted a map of the swing between the presidential race and the Ossoff-Perdue runoff, but the red arrows in the Cobb and Fulton parts of the district were massive. Not Starr-tier, but to the point that without observing the turnout dynamics elsewhere in the state one would be pretty worried that the Suburban King Perdue memes were true enough for Roswell bougies to hand the GOP a fairly solid victory.
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 225 226  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies