2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 08:22:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 79
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California  (Read 91341 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: June 02, 2020, 09:34:12 PM »

It is quite funny how me, Oryx, and ERM all ended up with fairly similar CA maps.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #326 on: June 02, 2020, 10:10:04 PM »

It is quite funny how me, Oryx, and ERM all ended up with fairly similar CA maps.
Yes, But I have no LA-OC or OC-SD splits (I have OC-Riverside). I have Altadena in the Santa Clarita-Antelope Valley district. I don't have Mono County in the rural San Bernardino district, only Inyo. I also managed to keep both the North Coast and Jefferson completely whole without a single county split. My OC Asian Belt district does not include Cerritos (it instead takes in Fountain Valley). I split Huntington Beach into that district and the Newport Beach one. I also have all the Channel Islands, including Catalina, in the Santa Barbara district (because of this, the district covers Santa Barbara, Ventura, and LA counties).

cvparty
United States

« Reply #327 on: June 02, 2020, 10:28:23 PM »

Yes, But I have no LA-OC or OC-SD splits (I have OC-Riverside). I have Altadena in the Santa Clarita-Antelope Valley district. I don't have Mono County in the rural San Bernardino district, only Inyo. I also managed to keep both the North Coast and Jefferson completely whole without a single county split. My OC Asian Belt district does not include Cerritos (it instead takes in Fountain Valley). I split Huntington Beach into that district and the Newport Beach one. I also have all the Channel Islands, including Catalina, in the Santa Barbara district (because of this, the district covers Santa Barbara, Ventura, and LA counties).

i think you should try to draw districts without as big an emphasis on county lines. the whole-county districts you have won't even hold up due to the two years of population change between 2018 and now (*cough* camp fire) so there isn't really a point to it. also, locking yourself in with counties results in some funky districts (rancho murieta to colusa?). not to mention there are less than 50 counties for a state of nearly 40 million people. also, many communities transcend county lines, and one needs to be mindful of road connections and population distribution
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #328 on: June 02, 2020, 11:39:40 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 01:44:12 AM by ERM64man »

I updated it a bit.

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #329 on: June 02, 2020, 11:45:26 PM »

It's still not guaranteed that CA loses a district. I really hope that doesn't happen. I updated my 53 district map.

Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #330 on: June 02, 2020, 11:47:40 PM »

It's still not guaranteed that CA loses a district. I really hope that doesn't happen. I updated my 53 district map.

Who takes the green Riverside district?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #331 on: June 02, 2020, 11:49:31 PM »

Would you say that, if CA stands pat at 53, that the rural areas in the state still effectively lost half a CD?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #332 on: June 02, 2020, 11:53:10 PM »

Would you say that, if CA stands pat at 53, that the rural areas in the state still effectively lost half a CD?

Yep, even under 52 seats CA03 is going to turn out of the Jefferson Area and move towards the bay. The north and backcountry are shrinking (worse after the fires) and in a large state that is growing essentially even/slightly under the national average, that shrinkage is magnified.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #333 on: June 02, 2020, 11:56:22 PM »

Yep, even under 52 seats CA03 is going to turn out of the Jefferson Area and move towards the bay. The north and backcountry are shrinking (worse after the fires) and in a large state that is growing essentially even/slightly under the national average, that shrinkage is magnified.
so which area of the state is likeliest to "gain" a district under a 53-district arrangement? San Brenardino or Riverside county?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #334 on: June 02, 2020, 11:57:42 PM »

so which area of the state is likeliest to "gain" a district under a 53-district arrangement? San Brenardino or Riverside county?

The Inland Empire and the Bay Area should each gain parts of a district.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #335 on: June 03, 2020, 12:06:05 AM »

Should I consider my CA map perfected? y/n
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #336 on: June 03, 2020, 12:06:48 AM »

Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #337 on: June 03, 2020, 12:10:44 AM »

Is that the 53 district map? Who takes district 4 in gold?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #338 on: June 03, 2020, 12:12:34 AM »

Is that the 53 district map? Who takes district 4 in yellow?

Yes. CA-5 is 50% Trump, so probably someone from the Redding area. I guess it depends on what kind of nominee the Dems produce in Mendocino/Humboldt.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #339 on: June 03, 2020, 12:17:02 AM »

Yes. CA-5 is 50% Trump, so probably someone from the Redding area. I guess it depends on what kind of nominee the Dems produce in Mendocino/Humboldt.
Who might take CA-01 on my map? I imagine it would be a very liberal Democrat. Any ideas?

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #340 on: June 03, 2020, 12:17:16 AM »

The Trump districts are CA-1, CA-4, CA-5, CA-23, CA-44, CA-48, and CA-50.

CA-48 and CA-50 are both under 50% Trump.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #341 on: June 03, 2020, 12:17:49 AM »

Who might take CA-01 on my map? I imagine it would be a very liberal Democrat. Any ideas?

Kevin De Leon? 😂
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #342 on: June 03, 2020, 12:21:04 AM »

Kevin De Leon? 😂
No, even though he did pretty well there. Any ideas on somebody from any of the four counties in that area?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #343 on: June 03, 2020, 12:22:56 AM »

Kevin De Leon? 😂
No, even though he did pretty well there. Any ideas on somebody from any of the four counties in that area?

Mike Thompson until he retires, then possibly Mike McGuire.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #344 on: June 03, 2020, 12:24:18 AM »

Is my CA-37 here the most "hipster" district in the country?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #345 on: June 03, 2020, 12:25:43 AM »

Kevin De Leon? 😂

Thompson doesn't live there (he's from Napa). Maybe Jim Wood?
cvparty
United States

« Reply #346 on: June 03, 2020, 12:26:18 AM »

the beverly hills-malibu-canoga park-agoura hills district makes me uncomfortable as someone from LA. crossing the santa monica mountains is iffy
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #347 on: June 03, 2020, 12:27:13 AM »

Kevin De Leon? 😂

He'll move.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #348 on: June 03, 2020, 12:30:05 AM »

the beverly hills-malibu-canoga park-agoura hills district makes me uncomfortable as someone from LA. crossing the santa monica mountains is iffy

It's pretty unavoidable without cutting into Oxnard.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #349 on: June 03, 2020, 12:30:51 AM »

Kevin De Leon? 😂

He'll move.
Thompson will carpetbag? It makes more sense to have McGuire or Wood. Who takes my northern Sacramento-Yolo-Colusa-Yuba district?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies