2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:59:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 79
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California  (Read 89178 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: May 31, 2020, 06:02:17 PM »

I've fixed Vargas' seat. It is now up to 54.7% Latino VAP.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #226 on: May 31, 2020, 06:20:28 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2020, 06:23:36 PM by Oryxslayer »

Go to the sidebar on the right and where it says Voting Age select '2018 CVAP.' It is impossible to get a pure SD seat above 52% using that data, unless you tentacle, so I know you are using the wrong stuff. I also won't fault you since DRA added the CVAP in a stealth unannounced update, and I only discovered it 10 days ago or so. However, it's very easy to get over 50% HVAP purely in the county.

EDIT: looks like they added it in the announcement bar now, there was no such notification back when it first came out.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #227 on: May 31, 2020, 06:26:30 PM »

Go to the sidebar on the right and where it says Voting Age select '2018 CVAP.' It is impossible to get a pure SD seat above 52% using that data, unless you tentacle, so I know you are using the wrong stuff. I also won't fault you since DRA added the CVAP in a stealth unannounced update, and I only discovered it 10 days ago or so. However, it's very easy to get over 50% HVAP purely in the county.

EDIT: looks like they added it in the announcement bar now, there was no such notification back when it first came out.
I got my Juan Vargas district to 52% Hispanic CVAP.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #228 on: May 31, 2020, 06:26:38 PM »

Go to the sidebar on the right and where it says Voting Age select '2018 CVAP.' It is impossible to get a pure SD seat above 52% using that data, unless you tentacle, so I know you are using the wrong stuff. However, it's very easy to get over 50% purely in the county.
It is not a problem for me re: seeing the data you speak of because I enabled everything.

Here are the stats for the CD as it is currently drawn anyway.

Total Population 2018
Pop %
Total 752,093 100%
White 109,540 14.6%
Hispanic 455,702 60.6%
Black 73,138 9.7%
Asian 125,074 16.6%
Native 9,510 1.3%
Pacific 7,730 1%

Citizen VAP 2018
Pop %
Total 448,720 100%
White 93,884 20.9%
Hispanic 228,660 51%
Black 45,855 10.2%
Asian 72,098 16.1%
Native 2,313 0.5%
Pacific 2,969 0.7%

Total Population 2010
Pop %
Total 706,598 100%
White 112,251 15.9%
Hispanic 418,628 59.2%
Black 70,469 10%
Asian 114,495 16.2%
Native 10,803 1.5%
Pacific 8,300 1.2%

Voting Age Pop 2010
Pop %
Total 510,317 100%
White 97,623 19.1%
Hispanic 279,205 54.7%
Black 49,365 9.7%
Asian 85,921 16.8%
Native 7,531 1.5%
Pacific 5,414 1.1%

I'm trying to limit municipal splits anyway. I don't think the Latino % being just over a majority of CVAP matters too much esp. since the Asian and white % evenly split the non-Latino segments of the seat.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #229 on: May 31, 2020, 06:33:39 PM »

I actually managed to successfully draw LA County without sharing any districts with OC. I also did the same with San Diego. I also hate OC-SD splits.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #230 on: May 31, 2020, 06:34:23 PM »

Go to the sidebar on the right and where it says Voting Age select '2018 CVAP.' It is impossible to get a pure SD seat above 52% using that data, unless you tentacle, so I know you are using the wrong stuff. However, it's very easy to get over 50% purely in the county.
It is not a problem for me re: seeing the data you speak of because I enabled everything.

Here are the stats for the CD as it is currently drawn anyway.

Total Population 2018
Pop %
Total 752,093 100%
White 109,540 14.6%
Hispanic 455,702 60.6%
Black 73,138 9.7%
Asian 125,074 16.6%
Native 9,510 1.3%
Pacific 7,730 1%

Citizen VAP 2018
Pop %
Total 448,720 100%
White 93,884 20.9%
Hispanic 228,660 51%
Black 45,855 10.2%
Asian 72,098 16.1%
Native 2,313 0.5%
Pacific 2,969 0.7%

Total Population 2010
Pop %
Total 706,598 100%
White 112,251 15.9%
Hispanic 418,628 59.2%
Black 70,469 10%
Asian 114,495 16.2%
Native 10,803 1.5%
Pacific 8,300 1.2%

Voting Age Pop 2010
Pop %
Total 510,317 100%
White 97,623 19.1%
Hispanic 279,205 54.7%
Black 49,365 9.7%
Asian 85,921 16.8%
Native 7,531 1.5%
Pacific 5,414 1.1%

I'm trying to limit municipal splits anyway. I don't think the Latino % being just over a majority of CVAP matters too much esp. since the Asian and white % evenly split the non-Latino segments of the seat.

Yep, which is why I say 47%+ is probably the magic number when it comes to CVAP (outside of the South valley), as long as whites don't pass the Hispanic CVAP total. 50% though is crucial in SD because if it is under 50% than the potential Imperial-SD pairing is back on the table. But like I said, it's presently a no-brainer to get such a seat over the 50% line that one would have to put the interests of other groups ahead of the Hispanic seat for it to require the pairing.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #231 on: May 31, 2020, 06:36:41 PM »

I also don't like La Habra being paired with Santa Ana.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #232 on: May 31, 2020, 06:41:44 PM »

It is pretty good from a "keep the Central OC seat's  Latino % firmed up" perspective. It also helps produce a better Asian Belt seat.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #233 on: May 31, 2020, 06:44:43 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2020, 06:50:37 PM by ERM64man »

It is pretty good from a "keep the Central OC seat's  Latino % firmed up" perspective. It also helps produce a better Asian Belt seat.
Is my Asian Belt seat (Westminster, Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Cypress, and Seal Beach) fine?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #234 on: May 31, 2020, 06:49:52 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2020, 06:53:47 PM by Southern Archivist Punxsutawney Phil »

Is my Asian Belt seat fine?
It is decent. Ofc I couldn't replicate it due to my differing set of county cuts but it works well enough in your map.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #235 on: May 31, 2020, 06:52:40 PM »

It is decent. Ofc  I couldn't replicate it due to my differing set of county cuts but it works well enough in your map.
Mine gets more of the Vietnamese vote by taking in Huntington Beach and slightly less of Fullerton. My Asian Belt seat is mostly Vietnamese. What's yours?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #236 on: May 31, 2020, 06:57:50 PM »

It is decent. Ofc  I couldn't replicate it due to my differing set of county cuts but it works well enough in your map.
Mine gets more of the Vietnamese vote by taking in Huntington Beach and slightly less of Fullerton. My Asian Belt seat is mostly Vietnamese. What's yours?

this is what I got.
I would have sent it into Cerritos but I already had two seats being shared between OC and LA, I didn't want another.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #237 on: May 31, 2020, 07:00:13 PM »

this is what I got.

What's the largest Asian group in that district? Mine is a Vietnamese district.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #238 on: May 31, 2020, 07:02:09 PM »

It is pretty good from a "keep the Central OC seat's  Latino % firmed up" perspective. It also helps produce a better Asian Belt seat.
It is decent. Ofc  I couldn't replicate it due to my differing set of county cuts but it works well enough in your map.

this is what I got.

I wouldn't know the largest Asian group inside the district, but I would guess still Vietnamese due to it having all of Westminster and the core of Little Saigon.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #239 on: May 31, 2020, 07:05:24 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2020, 07:09:30 PM by ERM64man »

this is what I got.

I wouldn't know the largest Asian group inside the district, but I would guess still Vietnamese due to it having all of Westminster and the core of Little Saigon.
Little Saigon is mostly Garden Grove, with a small part of Westminster. Long Beach doesn't go very well with OC, except for the somewhat less liberal suburban areas near Cypress and Seal Beach (the neighborhoods near Long Beach State and along 2nd Street).
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2020, 07:16:40 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2020, 07:19:49 PM by Southern Archivist Punxsutawney Phil »

The general regional blocs of your San Diego and Inland Empire districts are really good. However, you need to clean up along municipal lines and more natural boundaries in general. Corona and some of the San Diego lines are particularly awkward. I really, really don't like districts which connect OC to the Inland Empire or the San Gabriel Valley, so I'd prefer you reconfigure OC to get rid of your CA-42 district.
Re: municipal lines, it is very hard to actually follow municipal lines due to the specific shapes of the units I'm dealing with.
It's a shame that's the case.
Re: CA-42, it was my effort at an Asian opportunity CD. I wound up having to do San Brenardino (because you don't want to violate the natural boundary now delineating many sections of CA-8) and this wound up requiring a revamp of the areas around Fontana and Ontario as I had 300k left over. I also had leftovers from Riverside County. This necessitied the shape of my current CA-41. I then used the leftovers to make the rest-of-OC, rest-of-SB, and parts-of-SE-LA CD as Asian as possible.

I probably wasn't too successful. In practice I got a CD that basically is very similar to the old CA-39.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #241 on: May 31, 2020, 07:17:57 PM »

It is pretty good from a "keep the Central OC seat's  Latino % firmed up" perspective. It also helps produce a better Asian Belt seat.
It is decent. Ofc  I couldn't replicate it due to my differing set of county cuts but it works well enough in your map.

this is what I got.

Little Saigon is mostly Garden Grove, with a small part of Westminster. Long Beach doesn't go very well with OC, except for the somewhat less liberal suburban areas near Cypress and Seal Beach (the neighborhoods near Long Beach State and along 2nd Street).
I guess you can say Long Beach being the core of the CD with the rest of far western OC in it was due to geography if nothing else.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #242 on: May 31, 2020, 07:18:14 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2020, 07:21:48 PM by ERM64man »

The general regional blocs of your San Diego and Inland Empire districts are really good. However, you need to clean up along municipal lines and more natural boundaries in general. Corona and some of the San Diego lines are particularly awkward. I really, really don't like districts which connect OC to the Inland Empire or the San Gabriel Valley, so I'd prefer you reconfigure OC to get rid of your CA-42 district.
Re: municipal lines, it is very hard to actually follow municipal lines due to the specific shapes of the units I'm dealing with.
Re: CA-42, it was my effort at an Asian opportunity CD. I wound up having to do San Brenardino (because you don't want to violate the natural boundary now delineating many sections of CA-8) and this wound up requiring a revamp of the areas around Fontana and Ontario as I had 300k left over. I also had leftovers from Riverside County. This necessitied the shape of my current CA-41. I then used the leftovers to make the rest-of-OC, rest-of-SB, and parts-of-SE-LA CD as Asian as possible.

I probably wasn't too successful.
My Santa Ana district has a higher Latino VAP with West Anaheim than the one you have with La Habra. It's better to put La Habra in the Yorba Linda district or the Norwalk district (mine has it in the Yorba Linda-centered district).
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #243 on: May 31, 2020, 07:25:24 PM »

My Santa Ana district has a higher Latino VAP with West Anaheim than the one you have with La Habra. It's better to put La Habra in the Yorba Linda district or the Norwalk district (mine has it in the Yorba Linda-centered district).
But what impact would such an arrangement have on my Asian Belt CD? It'd absorb heavily white Huntingdon Beach, surely that would harm an Asian candidate's chances of winning and make it plurality White...
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #244 on: May 31, 2020, 07:26:29 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2020, 12:32:20 PM by ERM64man »

But what impact would such an arrangement have on my Asian Belt CD? It'd absorb heavily white Huntingdon Beach.
Mine just absorbs small parts of Huntington Beach. It has over 30% Asian CVAP.

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #245 on: May 31, 2020, 07:29:45 PM »

I probably wasn't too successful. In practice I got a CD that basically is very similar to the old CA-39.

I get where you're coming from. I still stand by this as the ideal pairing of OC communities:

If you want to avoid that OC-SD split, I'd try and move Fullerton and Cerritos out of my CA-45/CA-46 districts and into LA-based districts and reconfigure from there.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #246 on: May 31, 2020, 07:32:52 PM »

How should the other Asian seat in LA county go? The one centered on Arcadia and Monterey Park.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #247 on: May 31, 2020, 07:35:06 PM »

My Asian Belt district takes in Huntington Beach to give white working class voters more influence as well, so rich whites don't have too much of an influence. It loses most of West Anaheim so Correa's district can have enough Hispanic VAP.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #248 on: May 31, 2020, 07:57:01 PM »

How should the other Asian seat in LA county go? The one centered on Arcadia and Monterey Park.

I just let that one be decided by what is best for it and it's neighbors. As long as you got all the cities with a good asian population in there it is fine. These cities don't have enough for one CD, so you can play around with what fills up the rest. For example, Pasadena and El Monte would work fine in the seat, but neighbors may desire them better so you go elsewhere. As long as the neighbors don't get too greedy and the seat ends up crossing the mountains like presently.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #249 on: May 31, 2020, 08:54:42 PM »

What do you want your LA Asian seat other than Judy Chu's (Arcadia/Monterey Park) to be? On my map, Chu's is plurality-Asian and the northern OC coast district is barely plurality-white with whites just barely outnumbering Asians.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies