2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:37:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 79
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California  (Read 88939 times)
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: May 31, 2020, 09:05:25 PM »

I would prefer to get the Latino VAP to at least 55% in Juan Vargas' district. It also doesn't make sense to have La Habra in the Santa Ana district. I also don't like OC-SD splits, unless they prevent LA-OC splits. LA-OC splits are fine if they prevent OC-SD splits. Will the OC-SD split If Aguilar is CA-40, Takano is CA-45, and Cisneros is CA-42; who takes CA-41?
how is an orange-riverside district better than OC-LA or OC-SD

IMO it definitely isn't. To be fair, OC-SD isn't the greatest pairing but doing it allows for much better Orange County districts so I usually include it. However, northwest Orange County and southeast LA County absolutely blend together and should have splits concentrated there. IMO, districts which cross the hills (so OC to Riverside, San Bernardino, or LA's San Gabriel Valley) should always be avoided.

OC to SGV is actually a pretty well connected area, unlike OC to Riverside. Diamond Bar and Yorba Linda can pair just fine. And it Trump's putting Huntington with Long Beach or ceding too much to an SD county based district.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #251 on: May 31, 2020, 09:15:13 PM »

Huntington Beach to Long Beach doesn't make sense, unless it includes just the SD-34 neighborhoods near Seal Beach and Cypress. Neither does Santa Ana to La Habra. The proposed OC-Riverside tunnel or skyway, if built, would make an OC-Riverside district more practical. Intercounty commerce is what I was thinking.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #252 on: May 31, 2020, 09:23:18 PM »

I would prefer to get the Latino VAP to at least 55% in Juan Vargas' district. It also doesn't make sense to have La Habra in the Santa Ana district. I also don't like OC-SD splits, unless they prevent LA-OC splits. LA-OC splits are fine if they prevent OC-SD splits. Will the OC-SD split If Aguilar is CA-40, Takano is CA-45, and Cisneros is CA-42; who takes CA-41?

IMO it definitely isn't. To be fair, OC-SD isn't the greatest pairing but doing it allows for much better Orange County districts so I usually include it. However, northwest Orange County and southeast LA County absolutely blend together and should have splits concentrated there. IMO, districts which cross the hills (so OC to Riverside, San Bernardino, or LA's San Gabriel Valley) should always be avoided.

OC to SGV is actually a pretty well connected area, unlike OC to Riverside. Diamond Bar and Yorba Linda can pair just fine. And it Trump's putting Huntington with Long Beach or ceding too much to an SD county based district.
There are plenty of road connections but hills are just such obvious divider of communities to ignore. I like my district lines to follow ridgelines and other clear borders (rivers, freeways, etc.) as much as possible. A similar example would be Studio City and Hollywood. They're very connected but the former obviously belongs with the Valley and the latter with the core of the LA Basin.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #253 on: May 31, 2020, 09:32:07 PM »

this is what I have with SoCal. The Santa Clarita seat ends at the LA County border; the Santa Barbara CD is exclusively contained in Santa Barbara and Ventura counties; and the rural SB seat extends north to take in Mono and Inyo.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #254 on: May 31, 2020, 09:35:12 PM »

this is what I have with SoCal. The Santa Clarita seat ends at the LA County border; the Santa Barbara CD is exclusively contained in Santa Barbara and Ventura counties; and the rural SB seat extends north to take in Mono and Inyo.

Do you mind zooming in a bit, turning on district borders, and turning off municipal borders? It's a bit hard to read this.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #255 on: May 31, 2020, 09:37:28 PM »

Do you mind zooming in a bit, turning on district borders, and turning off municipal borders? It's a bit hard to read this.
My Santa Clarita-Antelope Valley district is very similar
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #256 on: May 31, 2020, 09:37:40 PM »

zooming in over which specific area? I'm just going to assume LA County+western OC+western Riverside+western SB+eastern Ventura.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #257 on: May 31, 2020, 09:40:30 PM »

here is a closeup.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #258 on: May 31, 2020, 10:28:27 PM »

How should I draw the Central Valley?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #259 on: May 31, 2020, 10:44:17 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2020, 11:24:55 PM by yikes »

There are plenty of road connections but hills are just such obvious divider of communities to ignore. I like my district lines to follow ridgelines and other clear borders (rivers, freeways, etc.) as much as possible. A similar example would be Studio City and Hollywood. They're very connected but the former obviously belongs with the Valley and the latter with the core of the LA Basin.

The more I think about it, the less I see the "Asian belt' district happening. What's the VAP on your OC Latino district?

At 66%, it is still under 50% CVAP. The commission is going to have to start here first, anything else is going to determined by how they draw the Hispanic district.

I think grouping the communities on each side of the hills makes sense and that's what they did last time, although that map is rather problematic in many ways.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #260 on: May 31, 2020, 10:50:15 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2020, 10:59:29 PM by yikes »

If you have something like this, you have to either cut into Irvine and push the coastal district deep into San Diego County, or you have to cross the hills into Corona.

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #261 on: May 31, 2020, 11:08:23 PM »

Are you starting with the South San Joaquin Valley without cutting into Lancaster as the current map does?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #262 on: May 31, 2020, 11:11:36 PM »

Where was your starting point on your map? We need to fix Orange County.

I think separating San Pedro from Long Beach in favor of Huntington Beach is a non-starter. One of the biggest mistakes on the current map was CA-47.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #263 on: May 31, 2020, 11:42:23 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2020, 11:45:24 PM by ERM64man »

Are you starting with the South San Joaquin Valley without cutting into Lancaster as the current map does?
Yes. Lancaster is solely in CA-25. My OC Latino district is 52% Latino CVAP. Notice Lancaster on this map. My OC northern coast district is now plurality-Asian in total population

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #264 on: May 31, 2020, 11:47:43 PM »

Yes. Lancaster is solely in CA-25. My OC Latino district is 52% Latino CVAP. Notice Lancaster on this map. My OC northern coast district is now plurality-Asian in total population

I like it.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #265 on: May 31, 2020, 11:51:19 PM »

I like it.
I pulled it off. I drew a plurality-Asian district while shoring up the Latino CVAP in Correa's district. Is it better to have the majority-white neighborhood in western Hawthorne in Ted Lieu's district, which is how I have it (it has more in common with Manhattan Beach than with Inglewood)?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #266 on: May 31, 2020, 11:57:56 PM »

The more I think about it, the less I see the "Asian belt' district happening. What's the VAP on your OC Latino district?

At 66%, it is still under 50% CVAP. The commission is going to have to start here first, anything else is going to determined by how they draw the Hispanic district.

I think grouping the communities on each side of the hills makes sense and that's what they did last time, although that map is rather problematic in many ways.

It's 47% Latino CVAP, far ahead of the white and Asian numbers. I think it's good enough.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #267 on: June 01, 2020, 12:01:23 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2020, 12:05:13 AM by ERM64man »

It's 47% Latino CVAP, far ahead of the white and Asian numbers. I think it's good enough.
I was able to draw a plurality-Asian OC seat (with Huntington Beach but without Cerritos) while drawing Correa's district to be 52% Hispanic in CVAP without La Habra.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #268 on: June 01, 2020, 12:05:57 AM »

I was able to draw a plurality-Asian OC seat (with Huntington Beach but without Cerritos) while drawing Correa's district to be 52% Hispanic in CVAP without La Habra.

I know, but I really, really don't want to do an OC/Riverside split.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #269 on: June 01, 2020, 12:34:54 AM »

I know, but I really, really don't want to do an OC/Riverside split.
How many SD-Riverside splits do you have: None, one, or two?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #270 on: June 01, 2020, 12:36:55 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2020, 01:34:11 AM by Oryxslayer »

I'm gonna give you credit Punxsutawney, your map has done (at least) one thing right. Your alignment of districts in the Imperial Valley core revealed me the way how to finally fix up the region so that all three of the seats can be BOTH majority Hispanic and and neat for their COIs. I also now got CA35 (CA36's sucessor) to be plurality Hispanic by CVAP, so that is an added bonus. So props to that.

I mean look at this outdated arrangement. Everything should always elect Hispanic's preference, but the lines on the other hand....

I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #271 on: June 01, 2020, 12:39:07 AM »

I'm gonna give you credit Punxsutawney, your map has done one thing right. Your alignment of districts in the Imperial Valley core revealed me the way how to finally fix up the region so that all three of the seats can be BOTH majority Hispanic and and neat for their COIs. I also now got CA35 to be plurality Hispanic by CVAP, so that is an added bonus. So props to that.

I mean look at this outdated arrangement. Everything should always elect Hispanic's preference, but the lines on the other hand....

My CA-35 is also plurality-Hispanic by CVAP.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #272 on: June 01, 2020, 12:54:52 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2020, 01:15:38 AM by Oryxslayer »

I'm gonna give you credit Punxsutawney, your map has done one thing right. Your alignment of districts in the Imperial Valley core revealed me the way how to finally fix up the region so that all three of the seats can be BOTH majority Hispanic and and neat for their COIs. I also now got CA35 to be plurality Hispanic by CVAP, so that is an added bonus. So props to that.

My CA-35 is also plurality-Hispanic by CVAP.

This wasn't aimed at you in any capacity. However, one should be aware that not just the successor to CA35 needs to be 47%+ by Hispanic CVAP, the successors to CA41 and CA31 also must be. This is basically a necessity given Hispanic(and other minority) growth in the region, and is the most obvious change coming to the map.

EDIT: I realize you might have been talking about the present CA35, because I wasn't apparent enough. The CA35 mentioned in the first paragraph is the successor to CA36, aka the palm springs seat.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #273 on: June 01, 2020, 01:28:17 AM »

Where was your starting point on your map? We need to fix Orange County.

I think separating San Pedro from Long Beach in favor of Huntington Beach is a non-starter. One of the biggest mistakes on the current map was CA-47.
My starting point was the Imperial-E Riverside county CD, followed by San Diego.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #274 on: June 01, 2020, 02:33:35 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2020, 02:42:27 AM by Southern Archivist Punxsutawney Phil »

Redid some districts in LA county and OC.
I sought to compensate for the destruction of the dedicated Asian Belt seat by doing advantageous boundaries for Asians in CA-42 (now without heavily Hispanic La Habra), and by adding Cerritos in, even if that means a third cross OC-LA county district.

CA-38:
contains Cerritos and Westminster
Total Population 2018
Pop %
Total 751,225 100%
White 272,067 36.2%
Hispanic 197,023 26.2%
Black 23,521 3.1%
Asian 255,824 34.1%
Native 9,956 1.3%
Pacific 7,584 1%

CA-42: