2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:49:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 79
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California  (Read 87970 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2020, 03:30:35 AM »

While some other threads have been created which focus on specific areas (and CA is huge) it seems clear to me that at some point there will be a thread that covers all of the Golden State. So here we are.
https://davesredistricting.org/join/478442b9-b06d-46f7-9e41-8308b8fe3c76
here is a map I created assuming 52 CDs.
I will provide a picture and a brief overview in another post. For now though a simple link will do.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 03:38:35 AM »

I don't see a Hispanic district in the SFV in that map. Also not a fan of the southern Central valley districts and generally, I always try to avoid joining SD and OC. What's the rationale for those?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 03:45:12 AM »

I don't see a Hispanic district in the SFV in that map. Also not a fan of the southern Central valley districts and generally, I always try to avoid joining SD and OC. What's the rationale for those?
The 30th district is over 50% Hispanic with 2018 populations. Isn't that good enough to qualify?
Also I found San Brenardino and Riverside together were perfect for 6, so I decided to nest 6 seats within those two counties.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 03:49:17 AM »

The 30th district is over 50% Hispanic with 2018 populations. Isn't that good enough to qualify?
Also I found San Brenardino and Riverside together were perfect for 6, so I decided to nest 6 seats within those two counties.

Generally you are looking at 60-70% Hispanic in these districts. I think the Berman-mander district was 57%.

SB and Riverside are very diverse counties compared to LA and OC. Easier to split them up.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 03:53:21 AM »

Generally you are looking at 60-70% Hispanic in these districts. I think the Berman-mander district was 57%.

SB and Riverside are very diverse counties compared to LA and OC. Easier to split them up.
I redid CA-24 and CA-30. CA-24 is now plurality White, and strangely, more D than before. CA-30 is now up to 60% Latino.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 03:58:26 AM »

I redid CA-24 and CA-30. CA-24 is now plurality White, and strangely, more D than before. CA-30 is now up to 60% Latino.

It's not that strange. Most whites in the SFV are some combination of wealthy, educated, Jewish, and Iranian.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 03:59:24 AM »

It's not that strange. Most whites in the SFV are some combination of wealthy, educated, Jewish, and Iranian.
It is probably a turnout thing. Also yeah not all that strange.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 04:00:31 AM »
« Edited: May 11, 2020, 04:03:42 AM by paint sniffing survivor »

It is probably a turnout thing. Also yeah not all that strange.

Turnout is definitely a factor, although the listed factors contribute to that certainly

Also, the greater LA area is by far the largest single state metropolitan area in the country. And the SD area would be the largest in almost any other state. It's a tough region to divvy up.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 04:03:36 AM »

Which group would be the most powerful in my new 32nd?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 04:07:18 AM »

Which group would be the most powerful in my new 32nd?

27th is Judy Chu. 32nd could be a toss-up, especially if it's Asian Dem vs Hispanic Dem
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 04:08:18 AM »

A few preferences of mine:
1. San Diego and Imperial really don't pair. Imperial should go with Palm Springs/Indio, even if it means a SD-Riverside Split.
2. Orange County has some natural communities of interest that you are chopping up weirdly. Oryx made a good map of them here:
 If you do a LA/OC split, it should be extending an Asian Belt district towards Cerritos, which is a sensible COI.
3. CA-27 should me a majority Asian VRA district. Drop Pasadena and Eagle Rock and shift it east a little bit,
4. The San Fernando Valley makes 2 CDs plus the Burbank/North Hollywood one, so you should really try to keep the 28th south of Mulholland. If this forces a new LA/Ventura split, the best place to do it is along the 101 corridor or from Santa Clarita-Ventura.
5. The Eastern Sierras should be paired with the Antelope and Victor Valleys. Northing should cross from the Central Valley.
6. The North Coast should be intact and separate from the Redding area. Santa Rosa-Crescent City should be one thing.
7. Ideally, Contra Costa/Solano splits should be avoided, and the western parts of Alameda and Contra costa should be looked at as a unit which is separate from the Walnut Creek/Livermore area, even if it forces more county splits.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 04:17:42 AM »

1. San Diego and Imperial really don't pair. Imperial should go with Palm Springs/Indio, even if it means a SD-Riverside Split.
2. Orange County has some natural communities of interest that you are chopping up weirdly. Oryx made a good map of them here:
 If you do a LA/OC split, it should be extending an Asian Belt district towards Cerritos, which is a sensible COI.
3. CA-27 should me a majority Asian VRA district. Drop Pasadena and Eagle Rock and shift it east a little bit,
4. The San Fernando Valley makes 2 CDs plus the Burbank/North Hollywood one, so you should really try to keep the 28th south of Mulholland. If this forces a new LA/Ventura split, the best place to do it is along the 101 corridor or from Santa Clarita-Ventura.
5. The Eastern Sierras should be paired with the Antelope and Victor Valleys. Northing should cross from the Central Valley.
6. The North Coast should be intact and separate from the Redding area. Santa Rosa-Crescent City should be one thing.
7. Ideally, Contra Costa/Solano splits should be avoided, and the western parts of Alameda and Contra costa should be looked at as a unit which is separate from the Walnut Creek/Livermore area, even if it forces more county splits.

What do you think of this map.

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 04:18:10 AM »

My first and foremost consideration, after avoiding county splits, was avoiding municipal splits. So that explains some of the weirdness in OC.
I decided early on that in OC I had to split one of the CoI and so I chose the coast.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 04:26:28 AM »

What do you think of this map.

Generally a fan. The Inland Empire and desert districts are particularly good. There are 3 changes I personally would make:
1. Personally, I prefer to create an OC Asian Belt district and do an OC-SD split, but that's just personal preference.
2. That Southeast LA/North OC district seems a bit messy and I'd try and clean that up.
3. I would try and make the Westside district stay south of Mulholland and push east into Culver City instead.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 04:58:29 AM »

After toying with LA County for some time I've given up on making CA-27 majority Asian. I did rotate the CDs a bit and boosted the Asian % to 42.5, but it's not worth pushing any further east. You run headlong into >80% Hispanic territory. There is also a non-neglible amount of Asian territory in Pasadena and Glendale.
It's not as though Asians aren't the majority of the effective electorate of the district already.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 05:38:38 AM »

Ok so I've come to some conclusions in regards to Orange County.
1. 52 seat map means that OC is messier than under 53; I can see why some people prefer the Imperial+Riverside pairing even if I myself reject using it in this map (which was geared towards reducing county splits whenever possible). It is easier to have good lines in OC if the Southern part of the county can be kept whole, which is impossible if Imperial County is paired with San Diego.
2. The exact nature of the county crossings I am using dooms either coastal OC or the Asian Belt (or both) to being split up severely. Irvine could be split up doing so is worse than cutting the Coastline into 2 chunks or more, or some other course of action.
3. CA-46's Hispanic % being kept high, at the expense of other interests in OC, means that most other interests have to suffer someway or another. To keep the Hispanic % high enough without cutting too much into the Asian Belt I had to feed half of Costa Mesa into it and give it Tustin, just to keep the Hispanic % from falling lower.
4. Irvine being kept whole means that not all of the Asian Belt can go into CA-47. I'm working on getting CA-39 redone so that it is entirely within OC and thus CA-47 can be the cross OC-LA CD.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 07:28:09 AM »
« Edited: May 11, 2020, 07:55:00 AM by Southern Archivist Punxsutawney Phil »

[img]
I considered your preferences here and looked at how they could be adopted, if it was so possible with my criteria.
1 was ruled out due to me placing considerable importance on reducing county splits.
2 was heavily thought through and to a certain extent adopted. I thank you for posting that map again, it was of much value to me. I have a plurality Asian CD in OC now. And the Long Beach CD also became a Hispanic opportunity CD as well, due to it having to move north.
3 was unworkable without destroying compactness, but I did boost the Asian % a few points.
4 was kind of confusing, I would like it if you got in more detail in regards to it.
5 was...well, unworkable. But I did redo the Central Valley CDs to make it look better.
6 was...unworkable. Plus I like the CoI of a Marin+Sonoma CD. I generally prefer a dedicated "Jefferson" CD over the current arrangement anyway.
7 is good advice but it also is hard to bring about on my map. It was only with great reluctance that I combined parts of Solano and parts of Contra Costa. When you have a dedicated Marin+Sonoma CD and then Butte+most of everything north of it CD, it means that you either have a funky district that weirdly splits the northern Sacremento burbs or you have a weird abomination of a CD that has most of Sonoma but not a lot of Yolo. Unless - you have a river boundary for a Napa CD that runs for many miles like I have and then give it as much of Sonoma as you can. It didn't help matters Sacremento itself was off limits as it was just perfect for 2 CDs.
P.S. the reason I have yet to post a picture is because I'm essentially in a finalization process powered on by the input of other people (you becoming among them).
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 07:57:11 AM »

[img]
I considered your preferences here and looked at how they could be adopted, if it was so possible with my criteria.
1 was ruled out due to me placing considerable importance on reducing county splits.
2 was heavily thought through and to a certain extent adopted. I thank you for posting that map again, it was of much value to me. I have a plurality Asian CD in OC now. And the Long Beach CD also became a Hispanic opportunity CD as well, due to it having to move north.
3 was unworkable without destroying compactness, but I did boost the Asian % a few points.
4 was kind of confusing, I would like it if you got in more detail in regards to it.
5 was...well, unworkable. But I did redo the Central Valley CDs to make it look better.
6 was...unworkable. Plus I like the CoI of a Marin+Sonoma CD. I generally prefer a dedicated "Jefferson" CD over the current arrangement anyway.
7 is good advice but it also is hard to bring about on my map. It was only with great reluctance that I combined parts of Solano and parts of Contra Costa. When you have a dedicated Marin+Sonoma CD and then Butte+most of everything north of it CD, it means that you either have a funky district that weirdly splits the northern Sacremento burbs or you have a weird abomination of a CD that has most of Sonoma but not a lot of Yolo. Unless - you have a river boundary for a Napa CD that runs for many miles like I have and then give it as much of Sonoma as you can. It didn't help matters Sacremento itself was off limits as it was just perfect for 2 CDs.
P.S. the reason I have yet to post a picture is because I'm essentially in a finalization process powered on by the input of other people (you becoming among them).
What is the plurality Asian district?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 08:03:05 AM »

[img]
CA-47, in SW OC.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 08:05:10 AM »

[img]
CA-47, in SW OC.
What does the Long Beach district cover?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 08:11:05 AM »

[img]
CA-47, in SW OC.
(essentially) All of Long Beach, Signal Hall, Norwalk, and Bellflower, as well as parts of Lakewood, Paramount, and Downey.
Under 2018 population figures Hispanics are more than double any other group and they are almost a majority of the population. This makes it a viable Latino opportunity constituency.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2020, 08:14:44 AM »

[img]
CA-47, in SW OC.
(essentially) All of Long Beach, Signal Hall, Norwalk, and Bellflower, as well as parts of Lakewood, Paramount, and Downey.
Under 2018 population figures Hispanics are more than double any other group and they are almost a majority of the population. This makes it a viable Latino opportunity constituency.
What cities are in CA-47 (Asian Belt)?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 08:23:21 AM »

[img]
CA-47, in SW OC.
all of Cerritos and Artesia and part of Lakewood in Los Angeles County; all of Los Alamitos, Rossmoor, Seal Beach, Westminster, Fountain Valley, Stanton, La Palma in Orange County, and small slices of Santa Ana and Anaheim as well as most of Garden Grove and about a third of Buena Park.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2020, 08:28:15 AM »

[img]
CA-47, in SW OC.
all of Cerritos and Artesia and part of Lakewood in Los Angeles County; all of Los Alamitos, Rossmoor, Seal Beach, Westminster, Fountain Valley, Stanton, La Palma in Orange County, and small slices of Santa Ana and Anaheim as well as most of Garden Grove and about a third of Buena Park.
Where痴 majority white West Garden Grove?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2020, 08:34:57 AM »

[img]
CA-47, in SW OC.
Where痴 majority white West Garden Grove?
DRA does not show there being any majority white major pockets anywhere in Garden Grove. I cannot even find a single plurality-white precinct covering any part of it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies